New DIY microphone kit - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New DIY microphone kit
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
New DIY microphone kit

New DIY Microphone Kit

February 25 -- Introducing the RA-23, a premium studio condenser for the do-it-yourself crowd. It combines a highly optimized ("pre-modded") transformerless circuit with a distinctive black and silver body, and the large-diaphragm capsule of your choice. K47, K67, and CK12-style capsules are available, including the K67LE, an all-brass capsule made in one of the oldest foundries in Europe.

See a cool X-ray image of the new microphone here:
http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images...s/xray_800.jpg
  • Cardioid/Omni switchable
  • High sensitivity (27+ mV/Pa)
  • Very low self noise and distortion
  • Selected, pre-biased Siliconix JFET
  • Precision 1% resistors used throughout
  • Rare, ultra-quiet output transistors
  • High-quality 2-layer PCBs
  • Silver/teflon mil-spec hookup wire
  • Tapered grille made of 2-layer brass mesh
  • Full-color, 30-page installation manual

If you have some DIY experience, you'll find this to be a rewarding project. The installation guide is comprehensive and extremely clear, and the result is a microphone that will go head-to-head with commercial mics costing several times as much.

For more images, introductory pricing, and additional information:
Click here

Brought to you by Microphone-Parts.com
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This looks pretty interesting , especially considering the $249 price.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Can this mic fit the Dale M7 capsule?
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im loving my DIY in Eurorack modules at the moment and this looks different yet very interesting, I'm tempted.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➑️
Can this mic fit the Dale M7 capsule?
The M7 will physically fit, no problem. But the typical M7 mounts (including the Cathedral Pipes mount and the Thiersch mount) have a single mounting hole drilled in the bottom center of the post. You'd have to drill a corresponding hole in the capsule deck of the RA-23 kit.

The RA-23 kit includes a domed pedestal mount and saddle that fits all typical 34mm LDCs.

Maybe we can add that extra hole for the next production run. It's a good idea.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is EXCELLENT, yet expensive.
Is it because of the capsules?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Morph_ ➑️
what is exactly expensive? 250 is not that bad at all if it beats bluebirds or c214's.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Morph_ ➑️
The capsules are part of it. The custom, made-in-the-US PCB is part of it. The premium components are part of it. The circuit is absolutely as good as we could make it. We did not cut corners anywhere.

This kit is more expensive than some other DIY kits, sure, but the quality of the product is in a different league. Don't think of this as something you'd build because you want to practice DIY and if the resulting mic is trash you've still gotten your money's worth in experience. Think of this as a $500 mic that you get for half-price because it isn't put together.

Here's a simple VO test of this same circuit (albeit stuffed into a different body), versus a new U87 Ai:
audio sample of RK-47 and PCB mod vs. Neumann U87Ai

Here's a test of the same circuit with our K67LE capsule, again on voice:
audio samples of K67LE microphone capsule vs. U87Ai and RK-47

You'll hear subtle color differences, but you won't hear dramatic differences in distortion or noise.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Jtt
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mparts ➑️
The capsules are part of it. The custom, made-in-the-US PCB is part of it. The premium components are part of it. The circuit is absolutely as good as we could make it. We did not cut corners anywhere.

This kit is more expensive than some other DIY kits, sure, but the quality of the product is in a different league. Don't think of this as something you'd build because you want to practice DIY and if the resulting mic is trash you've still gotten your money's worth in experience. Think of this as a $500 mic that you get for half-price because it isn't put together.

Here's a simple VO test of this same circuit (albeit stuffed into a different body), versus a new U87 Ai:
audio sample of RK-47 and PCB mod vs. Neumann U87Ai

Here's a test of the same circuit with our K67LE capsule, again on voice:
audio samples of K67LE microphone capsule vs. U87Ai and RK-47

You'll hear subtle color differences, but you won't hear dramatic differences in distortion or noise.
Nice. I just ordered the kit with the K67LE. I've been wanted to build a DIY mic kit for a while.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
please keep us posted. thanks.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Funny to be looking at this with an ad for a Mojave MA-301fet on the side!

now if I paint the grill black, select a RK47 capsule would I have the MA-301fet's little brother ? lol

Great DIY kit guys, my order is on it's way!

Cheers,
MVee.
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any comments on this mic? Considering getting this for my first vocal mic and would love to hear some impressions!
Old 12th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
any update on this ?
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are the capsules made in China?
Old 18th March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Are the capsules made in China?
Some of our capsules are made in China. Some are made in Europe. And we're coming out with a line of US-made capsules over the next 30 days or so.

What we find is that the color of the flag flying outside the factory matters a lot less than the manufacturing processes and QC that happen inside the factory. I've seen US-made backplates that were completely unusable (despite costing 4x what I would pay a Chinese supplier). And we regularly see Chinese capsules that are fantastic.

One of the reasons we've stayed in business for 5 years is that we work with our suppliers (on three continents) to improve the manufacturing and testing at every stage. We test products here before shipping. And if something slips by the various QC stages, or is damaged in shipping, we replace it. We even offer a 50% rebate for a replacement capsule if you accidentally destroy the capsule during installation -- that's a DIY guarantee that nobody else offers.

I should mention that I recently sent an RA-23 kit, built with an RK-87 capsule (our version of the U87 capsule) to an independent test lab. The results were pretty impressive: 50mV/Pa sensitivity, 6dBA self-noise, and a nearly flat frequency response -- really, closer to a U67 than an 87 or 87A.

Those are impressive specs for a premium commercial mic. But this one cost less than $300.
Old 23rd March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
A Jim Williams circuit is impressive! That's a good thing..
Do you have a DIY tube mic kit?
Old 23rd March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie louden ➑️
A Jim Williams circuit is impressive! That's a good thing..
Do you have a DIY tube mic kit?
We're launching a 2nd-generation kit for the Apex 460 tube mic in a few days. The kit includes new circuit boards, fantastic components, a new capsule, a new tube, and a new transformer -- in short, 100% of the microphone's guts are replaced. We do use the stock PSU, although we mod it too so it gives us the voltages we need.

Later this year we'll introduce a single-stage triode kit based on the M49 circuit.
Old 16th April 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I want to thank Microphone-parts for tremendous service delivering my RA23 mic kit with the RK47 caplule. Everything was there, instructions were detailed and clear, and the mic sounds absolutely great. I was really surprised when I stuck it in front of my acoustic guitar. For the quality I recieved, this was an extremely cost effective endeavor. Cant wait for my next one.

If anyone wants to know about building one of these from a customers perspective, give me a buzz.

617-470-9821

Phil
πŸ“ Reply