Quantcast
Yamaha HS8 ZenPro Mod Edition - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha HS8 ZenPro Mod Edition
Old 12th August 2013
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Yamaha HS8 ZenPro Mod Edition

ZenPro Audio is pleased to announce our modified edtition of the Yamaha HS8 active studio monitor.

Yamaha HS8 ZENPRO Mod Edition | ZenPro Audio

Yamaha replaced the HS80M with this model, and have made several improvements. The tweeter and woofer drivers are improved for wider bandwidth, the self noise of the speaker is lower, and port noise is a thing of the past. Also, midrange response is greatly improved and very flat.

Our mod edition consists of the exact same changes as before, Yamaha did not change the electronics that we replace and improve so it's literally the same mod as before.

What We Do:
  • Stock op-amps are replaced with Burr Brown brand (which delivers over 10x the slew rate, increasing detail and clarity)
  • Electrolytic capacitors in the signal path are replaced with Panasonic low ESR type caps, in combination with high quality WIMA polypropylene caps
  • Limiter circuit is disabled (preventing compression of the bass response, and allowing midrange transients the ability to punch)

Warranty Info:

The original Yamaha warranty is voided, however our work is warranted on a repair labor plus parts basis for 12 months from purchase date. There are no user serviceable parts inside, you agree to contact us with any questions or issues regarding warranty.

We are able to modifiy any Yamaha HS series speaker and have enabled this option on all models on our site.

*SHIPS TO USA ONLY due to damage issues with international shipments of speakers. We do not sell mod kits either, or parts.

War
Old 13th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool, was wondering if the ZenPro mod would work with the HS8.
Old 13th August 2013
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
We've actually been performing these mods for a couple months but Yamaha wasn't shipping much stock...until now!

It's "Yamaha Mountain" here at ZenPro.

War
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
After mod, how would you compare these monitors to something like krk vxt6, Dynaudio BM5A or the Neuman KH120 ?
Old 27th October 2013
Deleted User
The difference between different companies is huge.
I using HS-80 and I just took the limiter off, because I am in Europe, and I couldn't sent them to Zen Pro to modify them. But anyway I using them and they are great for detecting bad frequencies in the mix.

Here is few well done demonstrations of different monitor company's.

Old 30th October 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I haven't compared them to those specific monitors, but my mixes have been translating much better, coming from the stock HS80s, using them in a moderately treated room. I would highly recommend them. In the 1k/pair price range, nothing comes close.
Old 31st October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastawoods ➡️
I haven't compared them to those specific monitors, but my mixes have been translating much better, coming from the stock HS80s, using them in a moderately treated room. I would highly recommend them. In the 1k/pair price range, nothing comes close.
Ok, thanks!
I listened to the HS7 and they impressed me. I had a question though if they would be fatiguing, and then if the same applies to the HS8?
And, would you say the mod addresses any of this?
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The biggest improvements that I noticed with the HS8 mod: freer, more natural extension of bass, punchier midrange, and smoother top. Not fatiguing at all, and very present midrange in the HS8, which makes balance decisions much easier. On my original HS80s, I had to go -2 on the top because of fatigue. I'm able to run the HS8 mods totally flat.
Old 1st November 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Yamaha HS-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmastawoods ➡️
The biggest improvements that I noticed with the HS8 mod: freer, more natural extension of bass, punchier midrange, and smoother top. Not fatiguing at all, and very present midrange in the HS8, which makes balance decisions much easier. On my original HS80s, I had to go -2 on the top because of fatigue. I'm able to run the HS8 mods totally flat.
I really tried all possibility's but only one worked on HS-80. All flat, but mid+2.
I f you are familiar with (NS10M Studio), I found the best translation to other monitors. I have 3 systems in my studio.
Old 24th March 2014
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Good day all!
Trying to locate HS8 bass limiter jumper on the board as I did in the past years with my HS80's. Very easy snip and very welcome difference. Anyone know off hand what number or location of said jumper? it is a different board on the HS8...well, the White edition anyway. Would greatly appreciate.
Old 7th May 2014
Lives for gear

Warhead - Can you enlighten me as to what burr-brown chips you upgraded to? I am considering purchasing your modified version but the particular chipset would be of interest for me to make an educated decision.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bump!
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi All, I will be modifying the Yamaha HS8 pretty soon and will post pictures and description. This is my plan, The heart of any amplifier is the power supply. I will start with the rectifier module - hexfeds or schottky will be used depending on which sounds better, 10,000uf filter caps low ESR will be added. The cheap regulators for the Op amp supply will be replaced with shunt regulator (+-15v). All small electrolytic caps in the power line will be Panasonic FC types, with some added where appropriate and bypass caps too. The limiter circuit jumper will be removed. All resistors that are in the signal path that are not smd will be replaced with PRP types, all capacitors in the signal path will be Elna Silmic II, The op amps will be AD8066 (better bass, midrange and treble) cheap BB op amps can't touch the AD8066. All wiring Mil-Spec silver plated wires except where the wires can't be removed. The XLR connector will be Neutrik locking type and the Phono socket will be Neutrik too. I will experiment with SMPS +-28V power supply to hear what gives. I might find other things to tweak while I'm at it. I am thinking of changing the LED at the front to a more interesting color. All soldering will be done with silver solder. By the way, I am Mil-Spec certified solderer back when I worked in the Aerospace industry, so don't fear. . If you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
📝 Reply