Smart Research C1LA 500series mixbus compressor
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Smart Research C1LA 500series mixbus compressor

Just saw this at VK Facebook Page.

Looks interesting!

Smart Research C1LA - Vintage King Audio

The Smart Research C1LA is a two channel compressor/limiter, released to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the original C1 Stereo/Dual Mono unit, and the 50th anniversary of North American distributor, Sunset Sound. It is a versatile unit, housed in a two-module wide 500-series format, with three main modes of operation offering a range of possibilities. It can be used for all stereo or single channel signal applications: as a main mix bus compressor; for sub-mixes; or for tracking either mono or stereo sources.

For 25 years Smart Research compressors have been used across many mixes: with artists as diverse as the Rolling Stones to the Three Tenors. The C1LA shares this history by including the same electronics and settings as the original C1, but with several new features.

A Tri-Mode C1
Each channel can either be used independently, or in Stereo mode both are summed into the side-chain to eliminate any image shift. The C1LA also has the ability to DC-Link the side-chain signals in Stereo mode, allowing for more movement, while still preserving the stereo image. And for those who prefer to compress both sides of a mix without linking: when operating independently both channel?s controls are ganged.

Mix Glue
The essence of the sound is determined by its dynamic performance: the way it reacts around transients creating its signature. In many situations, best results can be from medium-slow attack; and medium-fast release settings: passing transients present in a signal, while the compression law and timings then played out as the side-chain reacts and recovers both controls the overall levels and adds ?punch? as the transients are shaped. The ?SOFT? mode in the C1LA also adds a new compression curve, acting not just at the threshold knee point, but across a broad input range of about 15dB.

Features:
3 operating modes: Independent/ganged; Stereo linked/Sum; and Stereo Linked/DC
Metering options: Input, Output, (VU) and Gain Reduction (PPM) for L & R Channels
3 side-chain filters : 65, 130, or 205Hz
Automatic distortion null circuitry
Normal and half-threshold ranges
?Soft? compression curve reshapes a 15dB range
Total of 12 Attack and 12 Release settings
Total of 4 ?Auto? settings
Dual, balanced bantam jacks for external side-chain inputs
All settings and circuitry from original C1 Dual/Stereo Compressor
Old 1st August 2013
Gear Addict
Want.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
But only 1 setting for both channels. Would be nice to see those features in the c2 though.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes! And it's cool looking.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love the esthetic. Look forward to hearing one...
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is no way this won't rule.

I'm a huge fan of the C1.

- c
Old 1st August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Drool...

Must. Not. Look. Hole. In. Pocket.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why do audio brands insist on making our buying choice harder and harder?
ItΒ΄s not fair!
Old 1st August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Gimme Gimme!
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BOOM!!!!!!

Bit suspect about the colour scheme and lack of crush!

Who cares... that is THE SOUND!
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's the color of the Sunset Sound consoles. [edit: no it's not]

Want.

Last edited by Avast!; 2nd August 2013 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Still want, though
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hope they'll come out with an anniversary 1U rack version with the extra features and added side chain..

Looks real cool though..
Old 2nd August 2013
Deleted fe72b38
I thought there was no market for hardware compressors now we have Slate's VBC

Seriously, this looks amazing, definitely on my wish list.
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think its about that time I let my 1yr old nephew play with my credit card so he can lose it for me.
Old 2nd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➑️
I thought there was no market for hardware compressors now we have Slate's VBC
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Saving up...
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Figured I'd add the images...
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Research C1LA 500series mixbus compressor-smart_research_c1la_straight.jpg   Smart Research C1LA 500series mixbus compressor-smart_research_c1la.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
'Soft Mode' sounds interesting.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here is what I just posted in another thread. It arrived today and I just spent the last 4 hours testing it out.

Ok this just in the C1LA is AWESOME. Its just as good as my obsidian on the two buss so far through my tests(it even hangs with it for the stereo image). And it kicks ass on the drum buss too. I shot it against a pair of distressors for the drum buss(electronic drums) and it sounds great. I might be selling my 19" obsidian and pair of distressors and get another one of these or the 500 obsidian . Yeah so far its that good. Amazing. I cant believe people aren't raving about this thing yet. What a great price too. This might just be the best two buss compressor for the price right now.
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensands ➑️
Here is what I just posted in another thread. It arrived today and I just spent the last 4 hours testing it out.

Ok this just in the C1LA is AWESOME. Its just as good as my obsidian on the two buss so far through my tests(it even hangs with it for the stereo image). And it kicks ass on the drum buss too. I shot it against a pair of distressors for the drum buss(electronic drums) and it sounds great. I might be selling my obsidian and pair of distressors and get another one of these. Yeah so far its that good. Amazing. I cant believe people aren't raving about this thing yet. What a great price too. This might just be the best two buss compressor for the price right now.
I'd be much more tempted if it had the thrust circuit of the Smart C2, but yes, the Smart compressors are awesome on the 2-buss. I think no one is raving about it since it just came out, and there is quite a bit of competition in the SSL-style buss compressor market.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer ➑️
I'd be much more tempted if it had the thrust circuit of the Smart C2, but yes, the Smart compressors are awesome on the 2-buss. I think no one is raving about it since it just came out, and there is quite a bit of competition in the SSL-style buss compressor market.
I don't see how the thrust would be much different then the SC filters though. I feel like the SC filters are better sounding and more usable then the thrust settings on the API 2500 I used to have.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensands ➑️
I don't see how the thrust would be much different then the SC filters though. I feel like the SC filters are better sounding and more usable then the thrust settings on the API 2500 I used to have.
Sorry, I meant crush, which is a FET distortion mode (I think it's a feedback circuit actually) and not related to sidechaining. It doesn't sound quite like the API's thrust mode. I wouldn't use it all the time, but for certain buss compression duties there's nothing like it - air for days, transients killed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'd be much more tempted if it had the thrust circuit of the Smart
Totally agree
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sorry, I meant crush, which is a FET distortion mode (I think it's a feedback circuit actually) and not related to sidechaining. It doesn't sound quite like the API's thrust mode. I wouldn't use it all the time, but for certain buss compression duties there's nothing like it - air for days, transients killed.
Oh no yeah thrust is like a SC filter. The crush is not there you are right. Would have been over the top if they added that too!
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Crush is a distortion I have always found completely unappealing.

I always had a C1 and never had a desire for the C2.

- c
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Crush is a distortion I have always found completely unappealing.

I always had a C1 and never had a desire for the C2.

- c
The crush mode is intended for parallel compression rather than the 2 bus thats what the c1 is for the c2 is the king of ssl compressors i got a red c2 and love it to death
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very cool!
I love my modified C1.
Old 16th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I always regret selling my C1... Ok what do I have to sell to get this one! heh
Old 16th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always liked the options on the C2, but preferred the sound of the C1 much more.
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I grew up w /C2 on the 2buss... its an unmistakable sound... never was a fant of crush.. but how does C1 differ apart from it being unbalanced on the outputs as I was told back in the day?

W
πŸ“ Reply