Quantcast
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That's a great price! I imagine that would place the iD22 somewhere around $1000?
Old 12th April 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It looks like it will be 930usd, nice one. I will be waiting its firsts reviews before buying.
Old 12th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Short demo with Simon here.
Old 12th April 2013
GS Community Manager

In use at Messe... running Logic Pro on the Audient booth.
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM-imageuploadedbygearslutz1365762118.234621.jpg  
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmirishred1 ➡️
Only problem is not enough Outs...Not even on Adat. This would not work for folks trying to do and summing beyond the ITB setup. I am sure that was not their target market though. An ADAT out would have solved that though. Price point maybe the deciding factor on this one...

Hi Cmirishred1,

Indeed this was not the main target market (summing/console users) for our first interface product. However the unit does feature 8ch of ADAT i/o so for guys that track you can add something like our ASP008 to gain 10 class-a hybrid Audient mic pres and 10 A/D converters. Project studio drums = done.

For mixers - you can add 3rd party 8ch i/o boxes to either hardware insert or feed a small summing box.

For ITB mixers - you can actually hardware insert via outs 3-4 back into the insert returns of 1-2. This gives you a very pure (direct to converter) connection for a mix bus processor or 'mastering-style' process path.

Best regards
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron ➡️
2-in, 6-out high performance 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA converters

I like what it´s said about its converters, but I need more Inputs to do a DA/AD loop with external hardware such as compressors and equalizers, though, after recording, I could use those 2 ins. and have the external hardware units in series, one after the other.

If I have to do with just two inputs, the price will be the main buying factor to me, because I am still deciding which converters to buy.
Hi Red Baron.

You can indeed achieve what you are looking to do via the alt. outputs 3-4 (separate DAC pair) and the insert returns (1-2). This will allow you to create a hardware insert loop while mixing and still monitor via DAC1-2.

There are only 2 AD inputs, which be fed from the mic preamps or you can break the normal at the insert return and access them directly as balanced line inputs (with pure signal path).

In normal use, most people would likely use the mic pres, insert outboard processing and capture via ADC. You can also record instruments via the discrete JFET d.i on channel 2 (this buffers into the mic amp).

When mixing, you can repatch to insert hardware processing - or alternatively mix ITB and use the iD22 as full monitor control with alternative loudspeakers etc.

Of course you can expand via ADAT i/o also.

Best,
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne ➡️
It appears this does not have a word clock out, so sync will be carried over adat. Ouch.

Re: Adat out, it does look like there's an adat out on the back of the unit per picture on the audient site.
Correct, sync is carried over the ADAT optical connection. We expect that most users will perhaps expand iD22 with some extra preamps, an 8ch AD/DA converter or hardware reverb via S/PDIF/ADAT. In these circumstances carrying the clock with optical will work well in practice with a 2-device system.

Of course if a user is looking to form a much larger digital system with a master clock distribution then WCLK i/o is useful - but we had to make decisions about the most required feature set for the price and most common use. We hope everyone agrees but we absolutely understand if you have a scenario where you would need it! Everyone has different demands!

Best
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland ➡️
I'm interested in this, I've been looking for a reason to ditch my presonus unit and the ability to track/plus monitor thru this box is drawing my attention.

Features include:

2-in, 6-out high performance 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA converters
2 superb class-A mic preamplifiers & 1 discrete JFET instrument input
Fully balanced insert points for integrating outboard gear
High current headphone amplifier fed by an independant DAC
Main and alternative stereo outputs
User defined monitoring functionality with hardware control
USB2.0 class compliant connectivity with integrated DSP mixer

Can we get some feedback on these converters, what are they using? What do these compare to (a competitor) headphone amp, specs.. VERY INTERESTED!!!

More specifically what pre's are they based off of, their consoles? if so which? their own ASP008? Talk to us about the ad/da please..
Talk to me babe!!
Hi Bobby,

Converter wise we are using top of the line T.I converter chipsets for iD22.
Posting actual chipset specs is less useful than you may think as we have found that so much of the performance is in the PCB layout, the surrounding parts (we use a combination of through-hole, MELF and SMT where required for performance / noise reasons) and grounding has had a huge effect.

We will post the final specs as soon as we have production units, but rest assured they are better than any converter we have designed in the past and ours were already pretty good!

We're confident they will make many users happy. We actually recorded a Steinway Model D recently as part of our testing program and I can safely say that the decaying (looooooong) sustain of the piano disappeared into blackness as opposed to noisefloor with great resolution. So

Best,
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
- Still I have a doubt, if I use inputs 1 & 2 for external DA/AD loop processing, we only have the DI input to record with. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Just for clarity sake, you would need to repatch your hardware insert loop if you want to use the ADC for tracking either Mic 1 or Mic2/d.i.

Best,
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlky ➡️
You can enter by mic input, depending on impedance matching or you can just enter thru return which i guess it will be line balanced signal. Those are thing i learned to use with cheap mixers, as how to bypass a preamp in a mixer.
The combi jack XLR inputs provide Mic ins and also padded line inputs that run through the class-a mic amp & hpf etc.

If you want to use them in isolation you can take an analogue output from the 2 mic/line preamps at the insert send.

You can separately route line level signals into the insert return - a great way to record via boutique mic preamps without having to go mic pre > padded line input > interface mic pre (which many interface line inputs actually do).

Here you get mic pre > insert> ADC as cleanly as possible.

Best,
Tom @ Audient
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This looks very interesting and is shaping up to pretty much be the perfect interface for me. Thank you for putting insert points on the mic pres!! Will this be class compliant so I can also use it with my ipad?
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyapa ➡️
Is gonna suit my setup, perfectly!
How does the F(unction)-buttons interact?

M.
Hi M,

The Function keys are part of the monitor control side of things.

Here you have permanent cut and dim (programmable dim level).

To assign an F key function you right-click on the buttons in the mixer app monitor control section and assign NONE - F1 - F2 or F3.

The F keys (F1, F2 & F3) can be assigned in the iD mixer app to several functions:
  • Sum to mono - you can also select whether this is phantom centre sum (out of both speakers) or just left or right to reduce acoustic phase summation issues. This is useful if you want to just monitor in mono on the nearest speaker to your rack of preamps if doing drums etc as people often sit off centre from sweetspot of phantom centre).
  • Polarity reverse - so you can sum/difference listen in combination with mono sum. A great way of cancelling the centre of playback to check out reverb/delay details etc. You can read my blog on it here if you haven't done it! Audient, Sum & Difference Monitoring - Reverse Engineering!
  • Alternative speaker switch (to DAC3-4) with independant trim control
  • Talkback - any input to the iD mixer can be assigned as source, the buttons are latching on short press and momentary on long press so really ergonomic!
  • Cue solo - you can also use an F key to toggle through cue master solos, this way you can audition the two cue mixes in the control room quickly and make better mixes for your artists!
I hope this helps.

Right I'll likely not be back on this thread for a while now, so I hope that answers the most likely questions. We'll upload some photos and the brochure so you can have a look at the mixer app and overall aesthetic.

I have to say we're pretty proud of it and it feels really solid. The knobs are solid aluminium and milled. The feel high-end even though the unit is 'affordable'. This was essential for me as I like my gear to feel good too! We designed the knobs to take some inspiriation from classic British retro equipment. Small details perhaps but they count.

Just before I sign off, the unit runs the analogue stages on +/-15V and the preamps are the same class-a hybrid as our ASP008. We think they are a real addition to the interface world. The unit is not bus powered as it requires a solid supply to provide enough current for the preamps and converters to be at their optimum. We did this for performance reasons and although bus-powering is a cool thing for on-the-move work, we just needed a certain level of performance.

The headphone amplifier uses a discrete current driver to juice up the feed to the cans but is fed from exactly the same standard of DAC as the main and alt. outputs.

Best,
Tom @ Audient
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtripper ➡️
This looks very interesting and is shaping up to pretty much be the perfect interface for me. Thank you for putting insert points on the mic pres!! Will this be class compliant so I can also use it with my ipad?
Ha I knew I forget something! Glad you like it.

Yes the unit is class-compliant USB2.0. Currently supporting Core Audio on Mac OSX, Windows to follow later. It 'should' work on an iPad and we will be making sure that it does as soon as we can.

We designed it so that it is ready for that purpose. Also the GUI has already been designed with Retina displays in mind.

Best,
Tom
Audient

🎧 5 years
Here is the brochure:

http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...ochure2013.pdf

Righto I'll leave you to all of the other cool goodies from Musikmesse!

Best,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM-id22-3qtr-right.jpg   Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM-id22-top.jpg   Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM-id22-rear.jpg  
Audient

🎧 5 years
Mixer application GUI.

It has channel views for slimline operation and is simple, chunky and has editable 'console'tape' style channel labels! Virtual sharpie!

Best,
-Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: Audient iD22 HIGH PERFORMANCE AD/DA INTERFACE & MONITORING SYSTEM-gui-full.jpg  
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Tom, really nice information.

It´s great to be able to use our own external mic preamps and, also, to do a DA/AD hardware loop precessing.

I don´t have hardware reverb or delay devices, but it´s good to know I could use them via its send and return.

- I would have liked a 4 AD converters unit, do you have any plan to produce different versions with more converters (even though it means higher price) ?

- Can you give us its price?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld ➡️
Here is the brochure:

http://audient.com/sites/default/fil...ochure2013.pdf

Righto I'll leave you to all of the other cool goodies from Musikmesse!

Best,
Tom
This looks like a great product. Moreover, kudos to Tom at Audient for answering so many questions on the forum!
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks Tom, really nice information.

It´s great to be able to use our own external mic preamps and, also, to do a DA/AD hardware loop precessing.

I don´t have hardware reverb or delay devices, but it´s good to know I could use them via its send and return.

- I would have liked a 4 AD converters unit, do you have any plan to produce different versions with more converters (even though it means higher price) ?

- Can you give us its price?
Pricing is currently set at £595 inc. VAT or 679 Euros.

At present iD22 is our only interface and expansion to 4 inputs is possible by adding a MiCO. Here you would get 4 class-a audient hybrid preamps, 2 insert points, HMX and Variphase plus all the other bits and bobs!

Cheers
Tom
Old 14th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Looks like a good product.

Personally, if it had options for external clocking, two headphone outs, and talkback, I would definitively buy. But of course, we all have different needs.

Especially nice that you focus on quality, really dislike all those plastic knobs on "prosumer" gear.

Good luck with this.
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It would have been cool if you could leave a hardware process chain patched in on some IO...and also have your 2 inputs for recording and with hardware inserts...if only 2 AD then switch between the record input and the processor chain IO. I say that because its such a elegant interface and fiddling with patching seems a shame. Suppose not everyone wants to use a 2 bus chain. EDIT I guess you could do this with an ADAT interface so thats fair...price is fair also.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The big question though is - can I buy it now?

How about now?

I know, I know, July

How 'bout now? Ready yet?

Seriously though, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm glad I postponed my purchase until after this show.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Tom, will you post samples with different sources ( female and male vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano,...etc ) in your website, maybe also here?

Better without compression, neither eq, so we could listen to only iD22.

Although this product looks great, It´s hard to buy something with even listeing to it.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hum...

Should I regret just having bought a Babyface?

regards, happy MiCo/Babyface combo user
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For someone with no experience with Audient preamps, can someone fill me in with what to expect?
Old 18th April 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari ➡️
For someone with no experience with Audient preamps, can someone fill me in with what to expect?
Clean, transparent, low noise. Add your colour with other gear...

They are very good!
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I find I use my SCA C84 and J99 (millenia and hardy copy), comparable?
Old 18th April 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
I find I use my SCA C84 and J99 (millenia and hardy copy), comparable?
No firsthand experience with those, sorry, but someone else might know.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the help though!!
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Audient

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texum ➡️
Good luck with this.
Thanks Texum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
It would have been cool if you could leave a hardware process chain patched in on some IO... EDIT I guess you could do this with an ADAT interface so thats fair...price is fair also.
Hi Swan, in reality I see most people tracking and then inserting their mix bus chain when mixing - but if you work in a less traditional way (read more modern!) and end up mixing into your bus chain whilst also producing/tracking new parts etc then I can see your point. You are right however, expanding with some AD/DA via adat would do it.

Quote:
Although this product looks great, It´s hard to buy something with even listeing to it.
Hi Red, I agree on getting ears on with something before purchasing. We are making some examples of the unit (watch this space for some cool content over the next few months) but personally the only way to judge is to get ears on in your own space.

Rest assured that you can read any review of our consoles or ASP008 mic amps and you are getting those very same building blocks in an interface with new high-performance converters. There are some reviews on our blog (blog.audient.com) that have audio examples of the ASP008. iD22 has the same class-a mic amp with more current converter technology so you can use that as a benchmark.

I know that seems like a cop-out answer but with fine detail things like micamps and converters you really have to hear the source in the room and then the gear in comparison. I think soundclips work well for processing tools because it is easy to provide a before and after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne ➡️
Hum...
Should I regret just having bought a Babyface?
regards, happy MiCo/Babyface combo user
Still a great combination and you have HMX and Vari-phase!!

Quote:
Our mic amps are detailed and mostly clean, but they aren't sterile. A lot of our clients like them because they are quite large sounding in that they produce clean low end and a nice defined hi-end which makes a nice change compared to a lot of vintage mid-range focused mic amps. We had one customer say last week that they liked them because they stack well across lots of channels (he has 24 channels of 008)...

Best
-Tom
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Tom, can you confirm the converters dynamic range are 120 dB (AD) and 119 dB (DA)?
📝 Reply