The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presenting Gyraf G21
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➡️
I´m still confused after toying around with it. That´s something very different. I never heard anything like that before. And I mean that in the most positive way. Seriously a new type of sound sculpting tool.
+1
I think it's very useful - I was surprized how well controlled it can sound. I thought the clipping would introduce strong distortion artifacts, but it doesn't unless you really abuse it. The high and mid band clipping reminded me of an exciter, but it's more than that. You definitely need to try it to understand what it does.

Best of Messe I would say - real innovation.
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic ➡️
+1
...unless you really abuse it.
Count me as one of those, I'm afraid!
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtienhaara ➡️
Nice! Love how the kick was brought to the front, it kind of sounds like the mic was moved closer, or a condenser replaced a dynamic, or something along those lines. Very aggressive change in the dynamic structure, yet very natural.

Any chance of revealing your settings for this loop, Emil? Basically I look at those photos and think "looks like it'd be lotsa fun to play with, but it might as well all be written in Danish because I don't understand a word!"

Johann
As I remember it, it was made by using the overall clipper at 12 o'clock.

Generally speaking: when using the overall clipper for colouring use thresholds at 12 o'clock or below, for more transparency use thresholds above 12 o'clock.

Here is an example (peak level matched) on a drumloop where I have used the mid frequency-selective clipper only (in parametric mode), removing some low mid resonance (overall clipper is out).
Attached Files

A_TooMuchLowMid.wav (819.0 KB, 1169 views)

B_TooMuchLowMid_->G21FREQ-CLIPPED.wav (819.0 KB, 1090 views)

Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds very nice indeed, what does it sound like when really pushed?
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And here I thought this must be an April Fool's prank. Guess I'm wrong...
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Gyraf Creator in person

Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So to try and understand what this uni is doing , It is like Steven Slates FG-X ? Or can be used like that - A device tha you can use to clip your signal when going back itb .
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I haven't tried the FG-X at all - but I'd doubt very much that it would be even remotely the same type of processing. We are deep into the nonlinearities of magnetic domain, and sim'ing this is not really within computational reach yet.

Another important difference is that the G21 will continue working even if you loose your iLok or upgrade to a future OS :-)

I'll try getting Emil to do some more processings as examples, and we'll keep you posted..

Jakob E.
Old 15th April 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
So to try and understand what this uni is doing , It is like Steven Slates FG-X ? Or can be used like that - A device tha you can use to clip your signal when going back itb .
It's nothing like FG-X. Not that I can explain it heh, but they are two very different tools.
Old 15th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Do we have a price and availability for this beast?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Availability: Ready, but made to order only. Expected lead time some 5-6weeks, maybe a bit longer - there's quite a lot of orders coming in on this one. We assign a serial number when ordered, which is also your place in the queue. :-)
S.R.Price: DKK23.950, ca. US$4202 or €3212 at today's exchange rate, ex. VAT and shipping

Jakob E.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks Jakob , I was a little concerned about the iLok 2 issue and your Hardware
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A short presentation video, shot by AudioSlap at our location in Frankfurt:

Gyraf Audio G21 Infundibulum - Musikmesse 2013 - YouTube

Jakob E.
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great stuff ! mono version wouldn't make sense for this application . Seeing as I mix and master together and wont have to tame certain frequencies I presume I could evenly clip each of the 3 bands to maintain my mix balance ? Did you mention something about an overall clipper ? Passive and no power , brilliant
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➡️
And here I thought this must be an April Fool's prank. Guess I'm wrong...
you are not alone. something called the "Magneto-dynamic Infundibulum" released around April fool's day will always raise my suspicion. I made a bet and I guess I've lost it, and so I no longer have cash to buy this Magneto-dynamic Infundibulum.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And now, finally, a real mugshot:

..USE WITH CAUTION..!

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
WOUW what an awesome unit! Can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Woah, cant believe it uses no power what so ever! i what to hear what i sounds like when pushed!
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex ➡️
Woah, cant believe it uses no power what so ever! i what to hear what i sounds like when pushed!
The G21 can be 'pushed' in so many different ways, that is the very nature of the design.

Here is an example of the G21 working with a hot input level using all three clipping bands (mid band on shelving mode) and the overall clipper.

Only processing is G21 and dBFS level matching.

The sample switches between original and G21 every six seconds beginning with the original.
Attached Files

Synth-theme_ORIG-and-HOTG21.wav (6.14 MB, 1378 views)

Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Emil on FB about his angle on the G21:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/et-ma...11256812244054

Jakob E.
Old 26th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first review is out - in current issue of British Sound on Sound Magazine (preview only): Product Review - Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum

And related sound examples: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...fg21-media.htm

:-)

Jakob E.

Last edited by gyraf; 26th August 2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 29th August 2013 | Show parent
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf ➡️
The first review is out - in current issue of British Sound on Sound Magazine (preview only): Product Review - Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum

And related sound examples: Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum | Media

:-)

Jakob E.
Congrats on the great review. I can't wait to see one in person!

Gustav
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
kind of utmost total overkill unjustified by any substantiated stretch of constructive imaginery. a bit suicidal by design, definitely very depresive piece of meaninglessness.
as gearslutzs we definitelly love to see such creations from time to time.
Old 9th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf ➡️

An example of a song that got varying amounts of G21 on every single track and the mix is Marybell Katastrophy's version of Libertine's "The Boy Looked At Johnny":

The Boy Looked At Johnny (The Libertines covered by Marybell Katastrophy), NME Magazine tribute - YouTube

..... Jakob E.
If I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing that's Infundibulum!!!! (excuse the misuse of your device name) I want one of those
Old 18th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just a pointer to another sub-forum of this board, where the G21 gets discussed by first-hand users:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...undibulum.html

Jakob E.
📝 Reply