The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMGAudio EQuilibrium
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdj ➑️
Am I the only one having this bug with Pro Tools LE?
I want to try the demo of this plugin and followed the easy install instruction.
Did a uninstall, reinstall

But when the plug-in load (the usual plug-in loading when Pro Tools open)
It just stop loading at Equilibrium.dpm and don't do anything
(I waited 20 min to see but still nothing)

My computer :
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
Windows 7 64bits

Will there hopefully be a fix in the next update for that?
I really wish to try this plug-in

No. I'm using PT10 with windows 7 and the exact same thing is happening to me. I found the installer is installing the Equick aax plugin in the Equilibrium folders and corrupt equilibrium dpm and rsr files. The aax file screws up my Equick plugin auth.
I should have demo first, but haven't had any issues with my other DMG plugs ( Equality, Equick, and Compassion) so I took the plunge, and am still waiting to hear back from Support (Dave)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB ➑️
No. I'm using PT10 with windows 7 and the exact same thing is happening to me. I found the installer is installing the Equick aax plugin in the Equilibrium folders and corrupt equilibrium dpm and rsr files. The aax file screws up my Equick plugin auth.
I should have demo first, but haven't had any issues with my other DMG plugs ( Equality, Equick, and Compassion) so I took the plunge, and am still waiting to hear back from Support (Dave)
Investigating. Update will be out later today.

Dave.
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm glad investigator gamble posted a pic with his cigar. My image of him was totally off.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't miss the older pic I posted. It's from this infinitely excellent archive of sorts:

Sonalksis Development Blog
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh, and though a bona fide internet stalker might find more, contained within this ancient text is the only other known image of the reclusive genius, perhaps in a natural habitat, or otherwise:

Off-the-record: Sonalksis [ENG] | AudioNewsRoom
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Question regarding the circuit models. Do those modes also include harmonic distortion, the way Nebula program's give both freq, phase and harmonic distortion results?
Old 26th March 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That should be easy to test with vst analyzer.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
That should be easy to test with vst analyzer.
You're right, I'll try downloading the demo soon as I'm back in the studio again, just thought I'd ask for now
Old 26th March 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm on mac, otherwise I'd do it myself. Please share the results.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My understanding is that there is no harmonic distortion. It's easy enough to test with a sine wave and analyzer on any platform, though. I guess you could even use equilibrium's analyzer. Although, I'll bet you'd be wasting your time based on what has been stated.

(How's that for hedging? I should have just said, "no.")
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mika2011 ➑️
thanks for pointing out, that the vst2 version is stable... my cubase project is crashing a lot since using the vst3 64bit eq..
I can confirm that the vst3 version of Equilibrium (demo) 64bit is unstable.
I get crashes in Cubase 7 64bit with it.
Old 26th March 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the word "circuits" was used...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
Question regarding the circuit models. Do those modes also include harmonic distortion, the way Nebula program's give both freq, phase and harmonic distortion results?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️
I think the word "circuits" was used...
Indeed, it was. Well, singular: "circuit."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
There's a really good article by Rane here: Exposing Equalizer Mythology
and I'd REALLY REALLY like everyone to read it.

So, with that done, here's the score:

1. In IIR mode, you get the same magnitude response as the hardware, and MOST of the phase response (above 12k, it might start to drift, because the two domains ARE different and without using a little CPU, it can't be identical).

2. IIR mode with Digital+ compensation should make barely any difference most of the time, but with some intricate high-end work, it can match the response closer to the hardware. It works by measuring the analogue and digital xfer functions and designing a very short IR to compensate for any difference, which then gets a minimum phase transform, so there's as little phase delay through it as possible. Typically, this filter should be doing nothing.

3. As soon as you dial in FIR mode, it's all different. You've committed to spending some CPU, and now we can match both phase and magnitude responses. Analogue phase (or the ZL version) give you the phase response from the hardware. The phase response is UNIQUELY DETERMINED by the magnitude response (upto a 180 phase flip). So, you're getting what the hardware gives you. It's like going and sampling the thing. Same IR = same everything.

And finally, these are EQs, which have for the past 40 years been designed with the primary goal of minimising harmonic distortion. Design intent with an EQ is ALWAYS linearity first and foremost. EQs are sold with their low THD+N figures displayed prominently.

Only notable exception is the Pultec, which you /can/ drive a little, but the Pultec amplifier (it's a passive unit with a post-amp) is entirely AFTER the EQ circuitry, so you can follow EQuilibrium with a distortion if that gets you in the pocket, without any loss of accuracy.

[In other words, there's no distortion modelling, because there's no distortion to speak of. Unless you start building bizarre contrivances to overload the hardware. In the which case all you'll get is straight op-amp clipping out of 99% of units. You'll have a time because not only are they designed to have no distortion, they're also designed to have high headroom.]

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
v1.01 out now.

Changelog v1.00->v1.01
- Windows switch to GDI (fix XP support and all manner of graphics-related oddness)
- Fix crash with Analyser menu
- Fix Alchemy and Pultec presets
- Fix Digital+ mode pops and clicks
- Fix Digital+ mode cancellation
- Rebuild preset menu on preset save
- Fix Windows RTAS and AAX versions

I +BELIEVE+ this will fix all reported stability issues. If anyone finds anything, contact me straight away, and I'll get on it!

Dave.
Old 26th March 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
See?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➑️
and I'd REALLY REALLY like everyone to read it.

So, with that done, here's the score:

1. In IIR mode, you get the same magnitude response as the hardware, and MOST of the phase response (above 12k, it might start to drift, because the two domains ARE different and without using a little CPU, it can't be identical).

2. IIR mode with Digital+ compensation should make barely any difference most of the time, but with some intricate high-end work, it can match the response closer to the hardware. It works by measuring the analogue and digital xfer functions and designing a very short IR to compensate for any difference, which then gets a minimum phase transform, so there's as little phase delay through it as possible. Typically, this filter should be doing nothing.

3. As soon as you dial in FIR mode, it's all different. You've committed to spending some CPU, and now we can match both phase and magnitude responses. Analogue phase (or the ZL version) give you the phase response from the hardware. The phase response is UNIQUELY DETERMINED by the magnitude response (upto a 180 phase flip). So, you're getting what the hardware gives you. It's like going and sampling the thing. Same IR = same everything.

And finally, these are EQs, which have for the past 40 years been designed with the primary goal of minimising harmonic distortion. Design intent with an EQ is ALWAYS linearity first and foremost. EQs are sold with their low THD+N figures displayed prominently.

Only notable exception is the Pultec, which you /can/ drive a little, but the Pultec amplifier (it's a passive unit with a post-amp) is entirely AFTER the EQ circuitry, so you can follow EQuilibrium with a distortion if that gets you in the pocket, without any loss of accuracy.

[In other words, there's no distortion modelling, because there's no distortion to speak of. Unless you start building bizarre contrivances to overload the hardware. In the which case all you'll get is straight op-amp clipping out of 99% of units. You'll have a time because not only are they designed to have no distortion, they're also designed to have high headroom.]

Dave.
Could listen to this guy and seancostello all day
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4410 ➑️
I can confirm that the vst3 version of Equilibrium (demo) 64bit is unstable.
I get crashes in Cubase 7 64bit with it.
Crashes continue in vst3 with Equilibrium 1.01
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
and I'd REALLY REALLY like everyone to read it...

Dave.
So Dave what exactly is happening with you use the harmonics setting on the HPF. I'm hearing something that I like. Especially on vocals.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➑️
So Dave what exactly is happening with you use the harmonics setting on the HPF. I'm hearing something that I like. Especially on vocals.
I THINK I'm hearing a bit of that depth that hardware gives. Really going to dig into this EQ.
Great work!
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

I love this thing, but having some glitches with the demo:

Mac OS 10.8.3

Reaper 32 bit VST - Presets take 10-20 seconds to change, gui freezes during this time.

Reaper 64 bit AU - same as above.
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTape ➑️
Ur dropping the ball sir... read up!
be cool dude ...i 've read the intro post and haven't seen some new or exiting , i asked people as they're exited , what was the new "whatever " that exite them so much ...about that EQ ......and GREAT sound is an answer i accept of course !!

If you don't feel like answering , do yourself and us a favor and don't !!

i can't test systematicaly all plugins , but i do my best for giving feedback to friends , for fun and for my students ....but i first make a minimal of selection ....

so my question was really : is this some new on the table ? if the answer is NO but it's one of the best EQ around , it would have been ok , quick and easy to say and suffucient for me to grab my interest and test it ...

i don't know why people stressing like that , or maybe i'm not alowed to ask a simple question ....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
so my question was really : is this some new on the table ?
It is some new on the table.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
New table? It is on some!
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol you guyz never stop ...lol
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Investigating. Update will be out later today.

Dave.
Dave, the update solved my issues. Great EQ, just scratching the surface so far, I find the versatility and sound quality are simply outstanding.
Ron
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
be cool dude ...i 've read the intro post and haven't seen some new or exiting , i asked people as they're exited , what was the new "whatever " that exite them so much ...about that EQ ......and GREAT sound is an answer i accept of course !!

If you don't feel like answering , do yourself and us a favor and don't !!

i can't test systematicaly all plugins , but i do my best for giving feedback to friends , for fun and for my students ....but i first make a minimal of selection ....

so my question was really : is this some new on the table ? if the answer is NO but it's one of the best EQ around , it would have been ok , quick and easy to say and suffucient for me to grab my interest and test it ...

i don't know why people stressing like that , or maybe i'm not alowed to ask a simple question ....
Seriously didnt mean for you to take any ofense... however

GET COOKING!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jeezo: Have you used DMG equality or equick? This is an evolution of those. You might want to demo them first, if you haven't.

Also, are you familiar with Dave's work for Sonalksis, Focusrite, MI5, or the code-breaking he did during the war?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Finally someone has made an EQ with a proper large display (Setup>GUI>Layout>UI Size Large or Huge) and lots of bands suitable for mastering! Now I can actually see what I'm doing.

Double respect for the beard/cigar picture too.

Cheers
πŸ“ Reply