The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMGAudio EQuilibrium
Old 22nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
Very cool to hear that you're adding circuit models.
When and where did he say that ?

He said : "There is not a dedicated circuit model of those EQs in there yet though".

So it's pure speculation, if you consider the word "yet".

Honestly if he start adding circuit emulation, I'd prefer an emulation of the original with a cool GUI without a graph. Keep it simple, please.

But that's just my view.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
When and where did he say that ?
About eight posts up in Questions 1 & 2 ...???

You're confusing "circuit model" with "harmonic distortion" or some other concept you have in your head. That isn't what "circuit model" means as Dave has ever used the term with respect to his EQs. "Circuit models" means the EQ curve behaviors and interactions of the modeled units. For example, in the product announcement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➡️
Hi all,

So, after an extraordinary two years of development, I have a new EQ to offer.

Before I slink off for a celebratory cigar (R+J Churchill, if you must know), here's a
few things to whet your appetite.

1. I overhauled the EQuality engine. It sounds even better, and the degree of control has gone way above and beyond.

2. I've been modelling EQ circuits, and there's a few years of 'em in here.

Proudly, I present: EQuilibrium

DMG Audio : VST/AU EQ, Compression & Dynamic Processing

Dave.

Quote:
He said : "There is not a dedicated circuit model of those EQs in there yet though"
Read the post you quote. He said that in response to the question of whether you can model Chandler/Abbey Road EQs with Equality. I.e., there is no model preset of Chandler/Abbey Road EQ curves currently in Equality.

Quote:
Honestly if he start adding circuit emulation, I'd prefer an emulation of the original with a cool GUI without a graph. Keep it simple, please. But that's just my view.
It's already exactly that simple; Equilibrium came with 'em. He's adding more. It's great.
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Right, I was thinking circuit model = input and output stages (transformers, tubes...) and such. Not EQ curves.
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
One of the biggest problems in using signal processing is gettin' stinkin' from too much thinkin'!

Designing the "perfect" equalizer within the interface easily becomes a massive distraction from just trying a couple things to see if your idea will actually improve the sound or not. I believe after using them for twenty years that the massive pallet available has been the greatest creative failing of plug-ins. Analog offered us lots fewer settings but a far greater percentage of them sounded good. A whole lot of mixing is about managing your head and not getting lost in it.
I've been setting up my mixes like an analog desk...usually an instance of Waves API EQ on every channel. And if there's something I really need to seek out and destroy like a bad resonance I use the FabFilter Pro-Q. 99% this is all I need for EQ. I like the limitations of the API, and it sounds great.

I'd like to grab the UAD Neve 31102 and SSL G Channel and have the option to mix on a couple of different "consoles"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
About eight posts up in Questions 1 & 2 ...???

You're confusing "circuit model" with "harmonic distortion" or some other concept you have in your head. That isn't what "circuit model" means as Dave has ever used the term with respect to his EQs. "Circuit models" means the EQ curve behaviors and interactions of the modeled units. For example, in the product announcement:

Read the post you quote. He said that in response to the question of whether you can model Chandler/Abbey Road EQs with Equality. I.e., there is no model preset of Chandler/Abbey Road EQ curves currently in Equality.

It's already exactly that simple; Equilibrium came with 'em. He's adding more. It's great.
Exactly what he said ^.

I was thinking I could put that trimmer on the "extra" knob, so you could dial it in. Or, as you suggest, I could have "4ke brown" and "4ke black", and trim 'em myself. How accurately shall I trim the pots?
You want them "trimmed REALLY finely, because I really care",
"trimmed to about the right ballpark"
or "damn? there's 128 of these things? Ugh, let's get this over with" ? :D

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
Designing the "perfect" equalizer within the interface easily becomes a massive distraction from just trying a couple things to see if your idea will actually improve the sound or not.
Actually, I'm quite delighted by that. Even if you're not sure that the time investment is worthwhile, I'm extremely pleased that you now have the option to play with this.
You may well be experiencing some of the joy of EQ design from my part of the universe :D

Dave.
Old 23rd June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
I've been setting up my mixes like an analog desk...usually an instance of Waves API EQ on every channel. And if there's something I really need to seek out and destroy like a bad resonance I use the FabFilter Pro-Q. 99% this is all I need for EQ. I like the limitations of the API, and it sounds great.
This is a good approach.

It may sound counterintuitive but, to me, the appeal of the Equilibrium idea is also one of simplicity: One instance on each channel and, in that one instance I can boost with modeled API bands, cut with a sharp EE band etc., all within the same GUI, on a single graph with an analyzer. One-stop, one-instance EQ and done.

Same goal, different means.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was thinking I could put that trimmer on the "extra" knob, so you could dial it in. Or, as you suggest, I could have "4ke brown" and "4ke black", and trim 'em myself. How accurately shall I trim the pots?

Dave.
Personally I think "ballpark presets plus knob for those who care to go further" strikes about the right accessibility/flexibility balance.

But I can see an argument for "let Dave do it perfectly and give us an entirely accurate model." I'd pay for a baker's dozen of those, no question.

Nor, by the way, do I think there's any conflict between this and having a fully flexible and savable system available to those who want to try their hand at emulating units they own or run across. Let the complexity be full if that's where the user wants to attempt to go, and the presets be plentiful for those who want the assurance of accuracy, which will be the vast preponderance of users.
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This EQ is nuts!!!

I will second the request for automatic gain compensation as an option though!
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This EQ is nuts!!!

Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal ➡️
This EQ is nuts!!!

YES PLEASE!!! This would be groundbreaking for my workflow!
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can you tell me a little bit more about Digital+ compensation?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal ➡️
This EQ is nuts!!!

Following what measurement of loudness, and over how long a time average?

Auto gain compensation isn't in because it doesn't do what you hope it will.

I might investigate ITU1770 though, and that might make something feasible.

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio ➡️
Can you tell me a little bit more about Digital+ compensation?
Yes. What would you like to know?

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes. What would you like to know?

Dave.
How it do the job?
Is Digital+ compensation make it more gentle and sexy? what does it add? edge?
Is it better to use it when eqing top-end only? or it make more gentle everyrhing what EQied?
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
any word on AAX 64bit installers?
Old 24th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasMilk ➡️
any word on AAX 64bit installers?
http://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/DMGAu...PT11%20Mac.zip

http://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/DMGAu...PT11%20Win.zip

That's all DMGAudio plugins for PT11 (or 10.3.5).

Those are the release binaries, but no installer until it's clear how I can install these without breaking a coexisting pre-10.3.5 install.

Also, EQuilibrium update coming next week.

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio ➡️
How it do the job?
Is Digital+ compensation make it more gentle and sexy? what does it add? edge?
Is it better to use it when eqing top-end only? or it make more gentle everyrhing what EQied?
It computes the spectral error between what Digital mode gives you, and the specified analogue curves do, and computes a minimum-phase correction filter of the specified size.

Most of the time, it adds nothing at all (because Digital mode sounds decidedly less like a digital EQ and more like an analogue EQ than most), but for critical channels, or detailed top-end work, leave it on and see if you can hear a difference when you bypass it.

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right, I was thinking circuit model = input and output stages (transformers, tubes...) and such. Not EQ curves.
Tubes are interesting, but you should keep in mind that the raison d'être for transformers is the great CMRR and absence of noise and distortion that makes them ideal for driving cables. When you measure what they're doing, you find that there's extraordinarily little distortion, and it's usually all below 20Hz, and this is why they're used.

Transformers are, as a rule, invisible. You use them to make an input/output stage less distorted/noisy.

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tubes are interesting, but you should keep in mind that the raison d'être for transformers is the great CMRR and absence of noise and distortion that makes them ideal for driving cables. When you measure what they're doing, you find that there's extraordinarily little distortion, and it's usually all below 20Hz, and this is why they're used.

Transformers are, as a rule, invisible. You use them to make an input/output stage less distorted/noisy.

Dave.
Right, but they produces hearable artifacts in certain cases right ?

I mean, on the Slate VBC, the FG-Grey model feature an added Neve transformer, that enhances the bottom end.

And in the FG-Red, they act on the sound, especially the output stage.

It's well explained in the manual how it works with the original Focusrite Red3 hardware. That just turning the makeup gain add saturation and artifacts coming from the out transformer.

Sure it's subtle, but it makes a difference in that case. The kind of thing that you don't notice first, but as soon as you remove it you're like "hum, that was better before" .
Old 24th June 2013
Motown legend

🎧 20 years
Quality transformers like Jensens are invisible. Neves have always had lots of LF distortion to the point that a Neve was rarely a console of choice in the U.S. during the '70s where we had APIs and Quad Eights. Jensen started out selling upgrade transformers for APIs.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Dave any news on a more restricted AAX DSP version? This is the king of EQ plugins and it would make a world of difference for people in the HDX platform.

Also can we have the option to lock the analyzer in (pre) mode by default?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Exactly what he said ^.

Dave.
I'm a little confused. Are the Brown and Black only different by how much they can boost/cut? I thought there was a difference in the LF as well, or maybe just the HPF?

Anyway, I like the idea of two different presets - one for Brown, one for Black. I guess I don't really understand the issue with the trimming. Is it not exactly 18dB on the hardware or something?

Dave, do you have any plans to model the Massive Passive curves?
Old 25th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right, but they produces hearable artifacts in certain cases right ?
Not in the cases being discussed.
Older tube gear shows interesting interaction between valve and transformer.

Quote:
I mean, on the Slate VBC, the FG-Grey model feature an added Neve transformer, that enhances the bottom end.
Added. Because the SSL bus comp is incredibly clean. The original doesn't have any distortion. Just a teeeny bit more noise.

Quote:
And in the FG-Red, they act on the sound, especially the output stage.

It's well explained in the manual how it works with the original Focusrite Red3 hardware. That just turning the makeup gain add saturation and artifacts coming from the out transformer.
What manual? Link?
Shouldn't be. The red3 is designed to have phenomenal headroom to avoid this kind of thing.

Quote:
Sure it's subtle, but it makes a difference in that case. The kind of thing that you don't notice first, but as soon as you remove it you're like "hum, that was better before" .
Yeah, I reckon you're getting something that wasn't in the hardware. It's been added for effect. If it works for you, then that's great! If you're not trying to replace hardware, and just want something with some vibe, then go with it.

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra ➡️
Dave any news on a more restricted AAX DSP version? This is the king of EQ plugins and it would make a world of difference for people in the HDX platform.

Also can we have the option to lock the analyzer in (pre) mode by default?
I am thinking about how I can do the HDX version. There's some spectacular new stuff in PT11 that means it might be possible. Still thinking though!

Dave.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
I'm a little confused. Are the Brown and Black only different by how much they can boost/cut? I thought there was a difference in the LF as well, or maybe just the HPF?
Well, Black does a bunch of stuff that's not /exactly/ audiopath.
For instance, the switches are changed from physical switches to voltage-controlled switches. There is a different LPF and HPF (12dB/oct without bypass -> 18dB/oct WITH bypass), but there's nothing interesting about the filters. The shelves are first-order too, so you've already got them.
The major change was a factory calibration change.

Quote:
Anyway, I like the idea of two different presets - one for Brown, one for Black. I guess I don't really understand the issue with the trimming. Is it not exactly 18dB on the hardware or something?
On the hardware, if you open it up, there's a little trimmer pot -
http://www.westfloridacomponents.com...362U-1-502.jpg (what follows is per-band)

After you've soldered the thing together, you plug it into some test gear, and put a sinewave through. You set gain and Q to max, and adjust the frequency until it coincides with the peak of the sinewave. Now you adjust this trimmer pot until you're getting either 15dB or 18dB (brown spec, black spec) out of the circuit. This pot is used to set how much gain you can get from the unit. At 0 ohms, you get, like 30dB of gain, and at 500ohm, like 6. 250ish is 15dB, 200ish is 18dB.

There was literally a person whose job it was to set these pots to configure the range of the EQ. I think that's awesome.

Quote:
Dave, do you have any plans to model the Massive Passive curves?
I find it intriguing. I've never seen any schematics though. I'd love it for that to change, but that seems sadly unlikely. The idea of opening one up does not greatly appeal, because tube circuit voltages. I'm told it's very much based on the Pultec though. Who knows?

Dave.
Old 5th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
From DMG Audio website

EQuilibrium v1.05 Update:

AAX2.0 and PT11 compatibility.
Small manual update
Fix Butterworth and 4kg shelves.
Fix Logic Surround layout
Fix tooltip fadeout.
Fix spurious locked-in-autolisten bug.
Added 8k2 peak...
Added 4ke peak... (brown,black)

Fix crash bug with AAX2.0 AudioSuite in PT11
Added pref to show meter readouts as peak or live. (peak is default)
Added new Units presets
Preference to control compression for presets/session saves.

Ready to download now! Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This EQ just gets better and better. Awsome GUI and superb sound.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️
From DMG Audio website

EQuilibrium v1.05 Update:

AAX2.0 and PT11 compatibility.
Small manual update
Fix Butterworth and 4kg shelves.
Fix Logic Surround layout
Fix tooltip fadeout.
Fix spurious locked-in-autolisten bug.
Added 8k2 peak...
Added 4ke peak... (brown,black)

Fix crash bug with AAX2.0 AudioSuite in PT11
Added pref to show meter readouts as peak or live. (peak is default)
Added new Units presets
Preference to control compression for presets/session saves.

Ready to download now! Enjoy!

Thanks for the notice!

-SD
SEB
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But still no fix on the sudden drop in db when mousing the 250
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Works fine in Reaper now