The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD v6.5 released: LA2AMKII, API, Softube Amp Room
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
NAMM 2013: UAD API 500 series eq's

UAD v6.5 released: LA2AMKII, API, Softube Amp Room-api_500_series.png

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • January 24, 2013 — Universal Audio (UA), a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce the impending release of the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo High-Resolution Audio Interface. This API-endorsed, UA-developed collection features superior emulations of the legendary API 550A 3-Band and API 560 Graphic equalizers — two of the most popular and enduring audio equalizers ever made.

Designed by API’s Saul Walker in the late 60's, the 550A and 560 modular EQs featured Walker’s signature 2520 op-amp and proportional Q circuitry. For the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection, UA’s industry-leading circuit modeling team expertly captured the filter shapes, band interactions, and unique filter amplifier clipping behaviors of vintage API 550A and 560 units to exacting detail. The result is tight, low-frequency imaging that gives users that legendary API punch.

Additionally, the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection includes presets from several famed engineers and producers, including Ross Hogarth (Van Halen, R.E.M., Ziggy Marley), Vance Powell (Jack White, Red Fang, The Dead Weather), Eli Janney (Jet, Ryan Adams, Wilco), Jeff Juliano (John Mayer, Shinedown, Train), Carl Glanville (U2, Billy Joel, Jason Mraz), and Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead, Charlotte Gainsbourg).

“With the blessing and assistance of API and the hard work of our top-notch DSP team, we’re proud to be releasing industry-leading emulations of the API 550A and 560 EQs,” says CEO and Founder, Bill Putnam, Jr. “We’re thrilled to be adding the iconic API sound to the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform.”

“We are very pleased to see the development of API plug-ins for the UAD platform,” said Larry Droppa, API President. “The sonic integrity and audio performance of API products has always been our primary focus, and UA has demonstrated a proven track record with these same goals. We look forward to much success with this EQ collection and other API introductions to come.”

Available as part of an upcoming UAD Software release scheduled for February 2013, the API 500 Series EQ Collection will be available for $299US via UA’s Online Store.

API 500 Series EQ Collection features include:

Superior, licensed plug-in emulations of the most enduring API 500 Series EQs
API 550A discrete, 3-band bell/shelf filter set
API 560 discrete, 10-band graphic filter set
Models entire electronic path, including custom API 2520 op-amps and transformers, band interactions, and internal clipped filter nonlinearities
Licensed and endorsed by Automated Processes Inc.
Includes presets from famed users Ross Hogarth, Jeff Juliano, Carl Glanville, Darrell Thorp, Vance Powell, and Eli Janney
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
VERY nice!!!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Woah! This might be a perfect companion to my API pres! Too cool. Surprised to actually see this one finally!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
API and LA2A MKII revealed today. UAD, you are spolling us!!! Well, you want our dosh, but give us good stuff like this, and dosh you will get.....
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i see a octo card in my very near future.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Done Deal.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_MYDUS ➡️

I wish API's marketing department would stop describing the 560 as discrete (or Universal Audio in this case). It is not, and never has been discrete. It uses LF356 IC's for the input and summing, and LM1458 or RC4558 IC's for the gyrators.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As someone who's sold his API 2500 and will sadly miss it, I wonder if this is no longer on the UA agenda.

I've always believed it's not a very good "compressor" in the strictest sense of dynamic reduction --- there are other tools that work more reliably in this regard --- but it adds this great, rich tonal glow to everything. I don't know how/why.

Maybe this is more challenging/complex to capture in modeling? I really don't know. Not technical enough.

- c
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

“We are very pleased to see the development of API plug-ins for the UAD platform,” said Larry Droppa, API President. “The sonic integrity and audio performance of API products has always been our primary focus, and UA has demonstrated a proven track record with these same goals. We look forward to much success with this EQ collection and other API introductions to come.”
I think the last sentence should give us some hope regarding a forthcoming API 2500 emulation.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone have the exact date?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
Anyone have the exact date?
Release notes just say "In February"
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
UAD always launch their new offers/deals or their new plugs on the 1st of the month, so I am pretty sure the website will change on the 1st Feb, presenting their new plugin toys.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great news. Can't wait to compare it to the Waves and URS emulations (not to mention the real things, which live on kick/snare in my lunchbox)!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Universal Auadio Announces API 500 Series EQ Plugins

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • January 24, 2013 — Universal Audio (UA), a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is pleased to announce the impending release of the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo High-Resolution Audio Interface. This API-endorsed, UA-developed collection features superior emulations of the legendary API 550A 3-Band and API 560 Graphic equalizers — two of the most popular and enduring audio equalizers ever made.

Designed by API’s Saul Walker in the late 60's, the 550A and 560 modular EQs featured Walker’s signature 2520 op-amp and proportional Q circuitry. For the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection, UA’s industry-leading circuit modeling team expertly captured the filter shapes, band interactions, and unique filter amplifier clipping behaviors of vintage API 550A and 560 units to exacting detail. The result is tight, low-frequency imaging that gives users that legendary API punch.

Additionally, the API 500 Series EQ Plug-In Collection includes presets from several famed engineers and producers, including Ross Hogarth (Van Halen, R.E.M., Ziggy Marley), Vance Powell (Jack White, Red Fang, The Dead Weather), Eli Janney (Jet, Ryan Adams, Wilco), Jeff Juliano (John Mayer, Shinedown, Train), Carl Glanville (U2, Billy Joel, Jason Mraz), and Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead, Charlotte Gainsbourg).

“With the blessing and assistance of API and the hard work of our top-notch DSP team, we’re proud to be releasing industry-leading emulations of the API 550A and 560 EQs,” says CEO and Founder, Bill Putnam, Jr. “We’re thrilled to be adding the iconic API sound to the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform.”

Available as part of an upcoming UAD Software release scheduled for February 2013, the API 500 Series EQ Collection will be available for $299US via UA’s Online Store.

API 500 Series EQ Collection features include:

Superior, licensed plug-in emulations of the most enduring API 500 Series EQs
API 550A discrete, 3-band bell/shelf filter set
Models entire electronic path, including custom API 2520 op-amps and transformers, band interactions, and internal clipped filter nonlinearities
Licensed and endorsed by Automated Processes Inc.
Includes presets from famed users Ross Hogarth, Jeff Juliano, Carl Glanville, Darrell Thorp, Vance Powell, and Eli Janney

https://www.uaudio.com/index.php/pre...api-500-series
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This thread has already been started. Check it out here: https://gearspace.com/board/winter-n...eries-eqs.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassrootking ➡️
I think the last sentence should give us some hope regarding a forthcoming API 2500 emulation.
Oh, good call! Didn't see that sentence.

- c
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I´m curious on how much DSP these will require. Hope it´s not too much or I might feel a strong urge to buy an octo... ;-)
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The waves versions are great. If these are better then I will be getting them for sure. Especially getting 2 very different eq's for $300.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
jeez the amount of money I've spent chasing a decent digital version of these eq's over the years..
URS,Waves, now UA
took a hardware detour and I end up w/ a 1608 .
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I liked the CT560 more than Waves… hoping this even better
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What is CT560? Even google doesn´t help!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
Tritone Digital's great graphic convolution EQ

Also TTD's 'Hydratone' has an API set, amongst others, but it's waiting for an update.

Then there are also some well done nebula programs of the 550 a+b.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
Sorry, TriTone Digital's ClassicTone-560

http://www.tritonedigital.com/index....mart&Itemid=19
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 ➡️
The waves versions are great. If these are better then I will be getting them for sure. Especially getting 2 very different eq's for $300.
the waves api collection was the best emulation of waves!
i really hope uad brings the mojo
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➡️
i really hope uad give us more mojo
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, neve, ssl, api, high quality boutique emu's.... Really nice.
But i want an UA synth emulation. Frankly...do it!
Moog modular/ minimoog and you'll get my eternal gratitude.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➡️
i really hope uad brings the mojo
No, not to me. Not at all. Sounded nothing like real API.

Had its own sound, but not API. Particularly the 2500.

- c
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️

- c
ok but it was the best emu from waves
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️

- c
Nothing sounds like real API but real API :D
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders ➡️
Tritone Digital's great graphic convolution EQ
Also TTD's 'Hydratone' has an API set, amongst others, but it's waiting for an update.
Then there are also some well done nebula programs of the 550 a+b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
Sorry, TriTone Digital's ClassicTone-560
http://www.tritonedigital.com/index....mart&Itemid=19
Thank you!
📝 Reply