Quantcast
NAMM: Cakewalk CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Cakewalk CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier
Old 25th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Software NAMM: Cakewalk CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

Cakewalk announces the CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier, with support for VST, Audio Units, and SONAR X2 Producer’s ProChannel.

The CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier is the modelling of the legendary vintage electro-optical tube compressor. Cakewalk developers modeled this unit and originally made it available as a ProChannel module in their flagship DAW, SONAR, and then in late 2012 released the RE-2A version as a Propellerhead Rack Extension. Now with the announcement of the CA-2A, musicians, producers, and engineers can use it in any VST or AU compatible DAW.

Specifications:
  • Frequency-dependent gain reduction
  • Compressor and Limiter modes
  • Up to 40 dB of smooth gain reduction
  • Sidechain input for ducking, de-essing and pumping
  • Gain reduction CV output to modulate other effects
  • Zero latency for real-time tracking and mixing.
  • Fully modeled "R37" HF Pre-emphasis control
  • VST, Audio Units & ProChannel compatible

The CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier will be available in late January for $99/£79/€99 and includes VST, AU, and ProChannel Module formats. Customers who previously purchased the PC2A (ProChannel Module) format can upgrade for $19.99/£15.99/€19.99 on the Cakewalk Store.

Link : Cakewalk.com - The World's Best Software For Recording And Making Music On PC And Mac
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Software Cakewalk CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

Here's another one
CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

Cakewalk - CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny that although I use Sonar I have been waiting for a VST version for this for purposes of a demo'ing it. Now it is available as VST but without a demo.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, it's always nice to be able to demo. 99€ is not exactly chickensh*t money!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

90 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I demo'ed the Propellerhead RE (Rack Extension) version of this VST...named RE-2A. I really liked it on many sources/buses, especially on vocals. I thought the noise floor/colour was (very slightly) noticeable but I think that's an accurate portrayal of the original hardware emphasized by my lack of familiarity with the plug-in gain/levels.

I've never used an original LA-2A or plug-in emulation so I had no point of comparison and I'm waiting for Softube to release an opto-compressor RE before making a purchase but I wouldn't be disappointed with the RE-2A.

There is a video on youtube where a comparison is made between the Sonar version and LA-2A emulations, and the Cakewalk version holds it's own.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have it. I can recommend it. !!!
Especially with the Prochannel. Now you can combine it with other plugins and save that as a preset so you can easily recall the chain in other projects.... That's a feature I have not seen often.... This combined with the true 64 bit DAW. It is future proof and it will rock your world!!!
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use Reason and Pro Tools much as eachother. I go for RE-2A more often than CLA-2A

I find I can get more GR out of RE-2A before it sounds bad. Never really go past 5db on CLA2A despite being able to basically pin the needle on the hardware.
Old 1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
CA2A is still best LA2A emulation out there
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No support for Win XP on my old DAW so I regret that I can't try this one. Oh well, maybe later this year when I get the time to put together a new DAW.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
99 USD equal 75 EUR -- so why is the price in eur 25% more expensive??
Old 1st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet ➡️
99 USD equal 75 EUR -- so why is the price in eur 25% more expensive??
Must be the shipping
A.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
pigeon ....is the answer ....

Kyle even if not supported , have you tried to run the installer ?
Old 2nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
pigeon ....is the answer ....

Kyle even if not supported , have you tried to run the installer ?
yeah it won't even start. Confirmed with Cakewalk support.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
ok .... sorry for ya .....

time to upgrade anyway to 7
Old 2nd March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Work here in winxp 32.Chek where dll are installed,i have to move it from program files/cakewalk/..... to my vst folder.Also check in daw in which category is,it is VST3 so in cubase it is in 'dynamics' category...
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➡️
There is a video on youtube where a comparison is made between the Sonar version and LA-2A emulations, and the Cakewalk version holds it's own.
Did you mean THIS one:

It´s recorded via camera microphone, and I stopped watching when I saw totally different GR settings being used...
Lives for gear

90 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
...It´s recorded via camera microphone, and I stopped watching when I saw totally different GR settings being used...
If you stopped watching then you wouldn't have realised that in the video the RE-2A does indeed hold it's own against the other emulations..and that's the opinion of the video-maker who heard it in full quality.
It's obviously not a scientific test or a serious comparison and I never claimed it was. Currently that's the only comparison video available...if you'd like to do better then I'm interested in listening.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
no support for 10.6.x. minimum 10.7.5

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alen94 ➡️
Work here in winxp 32.Chek where dll are installed,i have to move it from program files/cakewalk/..... to my vst folder.Also check in daw in which category is,it is VST3 so in cubase it is in 'dynamics' category...
That's strange! My problem isn't locating the dlls though. The fellow at Cakewalk support told me that it probably wouldn't install, and he was right. I click on the installer and I get a dialog asking what language I want to use for the install. I select English and then nothing further happens. I tried 3 times with no luck.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley ➡️
That's strange! My problem isn't locating the dlls though. The fellow at Cakewalk support told me that it probably wouldn't install, and he was right. I click on the installer and I get a dialog asking what language I want to use for the install. I select English and then nothing further happens. I tried 3 times with no luck.
Sorry to hear that,i believe that they will fix that problem soon,these is one of the best instant compressor in the box i ever used.I never work with real LA-2A and i don't know how much this plug is close to real deal,but these is doubtless one of the most usefull opto style compression in the box for me.Work instantly on everything i tried,from track to busses.I am delighted with 'fast reset photocell memory' option of these compressor,they seems faster then all other LA-2A simulation.
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just installed it on win xp sonar 8.5! rescaned vsts and working fine here!!!
Old 8th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
anyone tried it versus the uad ?
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For the guys running this on XP - are you on service pack 3?
Old 8th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I'm having very strange behaviours from this CA-2A
sometimes it lets peaks through at a very high level (like it's not compressing/limiting the loudest peaks). Against CLA-2A and iK 2A it is very obvious something's strange, while CA-2A sounds cleanier, it generates very uneven compression, compressing a lot of small peaks but letting highest peaks sounding untouched.

Any body having this problem as well ?
Old 8th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
is doing it always ? check your R37 knob ....
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Kyle, I'm running this on Service Pack 3 using Reaper. Works perfectly! Kinda like the sound of this LA-comp, different from Natives and IK's, but nice and smooth. I think I'll keep this in my toolbox
Old 11th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
@Jeezo, yep always doing it at the same peaks, Frequency knob doesn't change anything
📝 Reply