The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Warm Audio TB12 Tonebeast
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 09ad95d ➡️
Bryce told me the same in an email yesterday -- 3-4 months. I just discovered WA and would love to pick up two TB12s; guess I'll spring for two WA12s and see what comes down the pike in a few months.
Same play for me. Just going to get a couple of WA12's, which was always the plan. If I feel anything is missing, then a TB12 can come into the picture.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I;ll ask again - is this supposed to be emulating both a neve and API tones in a mix and match arrangement for $600? If someone can elaborate further on this I;m pretty much sold. I love DIY and you'd be hardpresssed to do it cheaper even then. Not sure about the Burl comparison. Burl make their own opamps and trafo's forgetting all the a grade conversion. These giuys have two very good pres out. Using excellent Carnhills. So is it Carhill all through?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hi,

Where are these made-assembled ?
Where are the components made-assembled ?
Very interested.

Thanks.
Cheers.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Neve and api

So basically the WA TB is two clones in one, it will have two signal paths with a neve and api like components : transformers and capacitors and the tone/impedence switching button and a hpf and an internal power supply.

They are designed in the states(texas) the warm 12 had US sPecked parts cinemag trannys but assembled in China. I have not seen a reference to where the parts are from for the TB but the caps for the neve signal path are the same as neve so it may have a carhill tranny or there is a us supplier who makes replicas of the original carhill tranny but you also get the steel and nickle sound for $599 list. The full modded gap73 deluxe is over 700. Warm will sell a tone of the TB i bet!

Kcat
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted User
Im gonna wait on the TB here. Upgrade my I/O in the time being
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you can't find an answer on here give Bryce an email at warm audio.

He is quite helpful and answers most stuff within a good time frame and even checks to see if you're happy with your purchase.

I'm sure he can tell you all the techs and specs.

Cheers
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
curious what the uk price would be...Im guessing £499...if the wa12 is £349
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➡️
curious what the uk price would be...Im guessing £499...if the wa12 is £349
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. We often get charged a lot more in the UK on prices, (this makes it hard keeping up with you U.S guys!!!), but the Warm pricing for the WA12 has been excellent. I was thinking $599 to £499 would be spot on......
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought mine in Aussie for about 499 each and thats why I bought 2 WA12's

Excellent value, so for the newer tone beast has a few more features and works out to about 599.

I think VAT is what kills you guys in the UK.

Cheers

Cheers
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup77 ➡️
Hi,

Where are these made-assembled ?
Where are the components made-assembled ?
Very interested.

Thanks.
Cheers.
I ALWAYS find questions like this to be REALLY strange. What does any of this ACTUALLY mean? BTW, this is not directed at you coffeecup77. It is just that so many people ask this type of question, but I cannot see how it can be used to serve any purpose. By learning that the components were made in China and it was assembled in China, what does that tell you? That it is rubbish? No. The only way you can really judge any piece of equipment is to hear it. We are all guilty on here of telling people what is good and what is bad, but no one can REALLY know until they try it themselves.

For instance, many TL Audio products were made in the UK with UK components, but did it mean that you got a Neve preamp as a result of it being UK made?? No.

ALL I care about is how it sounds. If the components are from China and it is made in China, but it sounds like Angels, what does any of us care where it was made? Crap products can be made absolutely anywhere. To ask these questions, presumes that you and others will make a judgement on the product, depending on the answer.

IMHO, I am excited about this product, not due to it's components and not due to where it is made, but only because the WA12 sounds great and has already built a positive brand outlook for Warm Audio, which gives me belief in further Warm Audio exploits and furthermore, because Bryce himself, is a pre amp guru, which gives me further belief in what he can put out there.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarson ➡️
Cool video. Makes me want one even more....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
wonder if the line input goes thru the input transformers...
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier ➡️
I ALWAYS find questions like this to be REALLY strange. What does any of this ACTUALLY mean?
A lot ...

Quote:
BTW, this is not directed at you coffeecup77.
Don't worry, didn't take it personally.

Quote:
It is just that so many people ask this type of question, but I cannot see how it can be used to serve any purpose. By learning that the components were made in China and it was assembled in China, what does that tell you? That it is rubbish? No.
Totally agree with you. I know that the french, the british, the americans, the swedish and even the germans can build crap. Believe me, I KNOW...
Tell me something though: do you think I already knew the answers to the questions I asked ? The answer could not have been South Africa ? Taiwan ? New Zealand ? Russia ? Ecuador ? ... Maybe YOU presume a lot.

Quote:
The only way you can really judge any piece of equipment is to hear it. We are all guilty on here of telling people what is good and what is bad, but no one can REALLY know until they try it themselves.
Agree with this (even though I would not use the word "guilty").

Quote:
For instance, many TL Audio products were made in the UK with UK components, but did it mean that you got a Neve preamp as a result of it being UK made?? No.
Very strange logics going on here ... The Concorde's engines were also made in the UK, do you presuppose everybody knowing those engines thought every engine made in the UK was similar ?

Quote:
ALL I care about is how it sounds.
Good for you. Allow others to care for other things ... also. And allow them to ask questions for other reasons than you would.

Quote:
If the components are from China and it is made in China, but it sounds like Angels, what does any of us care where it was made?
I don't know ... environment ? Workers Rights ? Social security ? etc ...

Quote:
Crap products can be made absolutely anywhere.
Totally agree.

Quote:
To ask these questions, presumes that you and others will make a judgement on the product, depending on the answer.
Definitely ... but not on how it sounds !

Cheers.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
price?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
$599 usd
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

No brainer -- Cinemag trannies, choice of capacitors and iron/nickel (silk) options for six hundy?! Was thinking of pairing with a Speck ASC4 band eq.

Open question, I would be inclined to take balanced TRS 1/4" out of the TB insert into balanced XLR in of Speck back out into balanced TRS 1/4" insert in of the TB --convoluted way of saying using inserts -- instead of patching direct in and out of Speck to my DAW. I've read ALWAYS use inserts if you have option, and I've read makes no dif/better to patch direct in and out. Any opinions?

Can't wait for this puppy.
Wheels
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
tranny mod

the other thing is although I am sure bryce has designed excellent transformers on the neve path( look like cinemag) lots of room to drop in a carhill for a little more neve vibe.

I am so curious to here this. I have returned a gap 73 and a warm 12 I was auditioning to wait for the tone beast; it will be so versatile !

kcat
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Man where it is made, madders a little bit, cost wise ... what parts they are using madders a little more, and where those parts are made, can madder the most & for what reason ...but who is making it or having it made? and for what reason, what kind of person has such a thing made, i think that is more important, other then it better work for a long time and sound good, for as long as i own it, or ...any-who, the wa12 is a really great musical sounding mic pre, from transparent to punchy to saturated fat ...it stays clean, we like it, very useful, Di input ...all the feedback has been good if not what the freak. i will ck with the artist to see if i can post a recording sample. Cheers Doyen
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, is anyone gonna compare the Beast to the APA Juggernaut? Different price point, I know (one channel less than the standalone Jug Twin, plus China made -perhaps- for the WA TB, might explain that). Also, the Jug has a huge amount of impedance settings, for instance. Still, the Tone Beast seems inspired by the Juggernaut, so a comparison/shootout (with the Twin or 500) could make sense.

Henk
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioHipster ➡️
Man where it is made, madders a little bit, cost wise ... what parts they are using madders a little more, and where those parts are made, can madder the most & for what reason ...but who is making it or having it made? and for what reason, what kind of person has such a thing made, i think that is more important, other then it better work for a long time and sound good, for as long as i own it, or ...
Completely and utterly disagree. People have got themselves into a really odd way of thinking about components. If it is driven inside by the cheapest components known to man, but sounds absolutely great, are you going to disregard it? Sound and perhaps workflow, are ALL that matters.

Had a look inside a Trident S20 lately or even a Behringer V-Verb? All you see is a bunch of chips and LED's. If I judged either of them on components, where they were made or who made it, I would chuck both of them on the fire and pull out the marshmellows, but if you actually "listen" to either of them, you find you have a good sounding pre or a good sounding reverb. Now, I do not own those pieces, but I have heard them and I am not going to disregard or judge them, because of the badge or components. They both "Sound" good, end of story.

Same goes for the WA12. It sounds great, it has well known components and we all know Bryce is a Mic Pre Jedi, but if I didn't know who he was, or where this unit was made, or if I lifted the hood and saw a bunch of leads being held together by Ronald McDonald, why should I give a toss?? The sound smokes!! That is all that matters.

In reverse, there are a ton of high end units, with top components, made by top companies, made in either the UK, Germany or U.S that hardly anyone rates, so does that tell you anything, No. It tells you nothing. Where a unit is made, what it contains and who made it is not a rule of whether it is good or bad. Just off the top of my head, I can think of several SPL products, several Summit products and newer DBX products, such as the 160SL and 162SL, that are made with top notch components, by top notch brands and made in the U.S or Germany, that hardly get any love whatsoever, yet I have never judged any of them based on that. I have bought products from those three companies, by listening to how they sounded. End of.

Same will go for the Warm Audio TB12. It interests me because it is versatile, but I won't be looking under the hood. I will listen to it and will judge on how it sounds.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
So, is anyone gonna compare the Beast to the APA Juggernaut? Different price point, I know (one channel less than the standalone Jug Twin, plus China made -perhaps- for the WA TB, might explain that). Also, the Jug has a huge amount of impedance settings, for instance. Still, the Tone Beast seems inspired by the Juggernaut, so a comparison/shootout (with the Twin or 500) could make sense.

Henk

The Juggernaut Twin is a mic pre that I will never sell. That being said for the price point I may just have to pick up a pair of these as well. It seems like the Tonebeast is competing against the Slate Fox a little more than the Juggernaut.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
specs

guys the wa 12 is designed in the states by bryce who lives in texas, it is all us specked parts including cinmag tranys but assembled in china. I expect the TB to be the same ,except the tantalon caps, like the neve , may be british.

kcat
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak ➡️
.....It seems like the Tonebeast is competing against the Slate Fox a little more than the Juggernaut.
+1
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
WTF - My plan was to not buy more pres. The Tonebeast however is giving me some major GAS. Availability in Europe?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution ➡️
We are expecting to have them ready to ship in the next few months
I'm pretty interested in getting one of these...

Would you let us know if/when preordering will become available? I need a new mic pre, and this seems like it's just the flavor combination I'm looking for...

heh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Juggernaut Twin is a mic pre that I will never sell. That being said for the price point I may just have to pick up a pair of these as well.
Please do and let us know how they compare. Unfair as it may be.

Henk
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
The Juggernaut Twin is a mic pre that I will never sell. That being said for the price point I may just have to pick up a pair of these as well. It seems like the Tonebeast is competing against the Slate Fox a little more than the Juggernaut.
The Sonic Farm Creamer as well. But like you mentioned, at that price it's squaring up against the Fox Quadtone more than the Juggernaut or Creamer.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
New info from bryce

Hi,

Got this email from Bryce so its a warm 12 and cleaner sounds : intriguing !

Tone Beast will be available in Canada at the same time it's available in the US, probably 4 months from now.

The 2nd amplifier and output transformer actually aren't Neve inspired. The WA12 (as you know) is a very warm/colored preamp and the additional options actually allow the user to use a cleaner amplifier stage, a cleaner output transformer, and a cleaner set of capacitors, but everything is still running on the API style gain block, not Neve.

It will be bangin out of the box, no jokes, no need for a mod, definitely listen first!

Bryce

Kcat
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
It will be bangin out of the box, no jokes, no need for a mod, definitely listen first!

Bryce
Oh, hell yeah! Bryce just served notice. It's f#ckin' on now!
Wheels
📝 Reply