Quantcast
NAMM: SM Pro Audio MBC502: System 500 Multi Band Optical Compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: SM Pro Audio MBC502: System 500 Multi Band Optical Compressor
Old 25th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hardware NAMM: SM Pro Audio MBC502: System 500 Multi Band Optical Compressor

MBC502: System 500 Multi Band Optical Compressor

The MBC502 is a custom-designed, optical multi-band compressor in a dual-slot 500-series format. Each channel—low-frequency and high-frequency—offers control over level, compression amount, and attack and release times. Switches allow you to mute one of the compression channels so that the other can act as a filter, with the filter’s center frequency determined by the setting of the front panel Frequency selector knob. The VU meter displays the master output level, while gain reduction is shown on the LED meters.

Editing is performed via a complement of dedicated oil damped rotary controls, with each compression band sporting independent controls. The exception is the Master Level knob, which gives you convenient, simultaneous control over the output levels of both compressor bands.

Finally, like the Tubebox, the MBC502 audio circuit uses the LME 49720 ultra-low distortion/low noise Op Amps, for uncompromised audio output.

Whether you’re taming vocal peaks, getting a bass to sit in the pocket, or looking to do serious sound-sculpting, our MBC502 is more than ready to lend a hand.

MBC502 – A dual band optical compressor. Street price $499

Link : SM Pro Audio • MBC502 •
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
$499.00 USD = £316.523 GBP.........

............Not bad!!! I am hoping it sounds as good as it looks...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
500 series multiband comp? Interesting!

Looking forward to hearing more...

Regards,
Frank
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Anyone heard or used this yet? It's the only multiband comp I'm aware of in the 500 series format.
Old 18th November 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nothing?
Old 5th May 2017
Just ordered one for fun. I have the daking fetiii, ssl buss comp and some other really nice stuff, both cva, vari-mu and opto so I think I'll be able to give a decent review. Should be here any day I ordered it used from Sam ash for a cool $175!
Old 8th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs ➡️
Just ordered one for fun. I have the daking fetiii, ssl buss comp and some other really nice stuff, both cva, vari-mu and opto so I think I'll be able to give a decent review. Should be here any day I ordered it used from Sam ash for a cool $175!
Update??????
Old 14th July 2017 | Show parent
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnycheebs ➡️
Update??????
Hiya,

So this unit works pretty well and as hoped, doesn't color the sound much at all. Note that when they say "dual chanel" multi-band compressor, it's easy to read that fast and think it's a stereo compressor. It isn't, it's a dual space mono unit that cannot be linked properly to another unit. It is worth mentioning that the peramter pots are stepped so if you are very VERY careful, you can count and dial in a stereo pair but I'd rather just get a stereo unit... imho. Anyway I had watched a review in which a mastering engineer used multi-band compressors as his go to vocal mixing technique instead of an EQ!! That's why I picked this up. I'll admit I don't have that technique down quite yet but I find it useful for soothing the top end of harsh cymbals or the crackle of unwanted hyper bassists and even shrill vox. It is optical so it reacts as you would expect there yielding a smooth gradual release curve (splitting the signal between an LED and a resistor). It's a great little stereo unit and the tiny little VU is actually pretty useful albeit absurdly small and the printed text illegible (about the size of a nickle, print about 0.5pt font). Like the d-box, the gain reduction meters are really just there to show that signal exists as where they have 5 LEDs per side, so you wouldn't use that as much of a reference. Like ALL 500 series, I wish it had USB recall/preset but I digress. I found some other reviews on a German site and actually took the time to translate them online and others seem to like it a lot with no significant quam. I find the 500 series to be kinda cumbersome with these tiny itty-bitty little knobs to try to dial in subtle settings but that's a gripe I have with the format and not this unit. The knobs are just ridiculously small though. The little chrome bypass switch is about the size of a baby tooth, I can barely engage it. Anyway, bottom line: clean, noiseless, discrete, flexible... thumbs up.

Last edited by jml designs; 14th July 2017 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 5th March 2020
Here for the gear

Hi JML

Would you elaborate on the dual channel function? Just Got an aphex USB 500 rack and on of these mbc502’s.

I Think it Sounds pretty good. Very subtle. But the documentation from sm Pro is pretty useless when it comes to explayning How to use it.

When I send a mono signal to the input of the first channel of the 502, it seems that Im able to compress it it both channels. If i switch the aphex rack to linked og not linked does not Seem to make any difference.

What exactly is the Dual channel stuff supposed to be used for?
📝 Reply