Quantcast
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 25th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If anyone in the UK wants to have a hands on demo and look at the Raven MTX and MTi, Steven Slate will be presenting a seminar this wednesday (27th Feb) in London. More details through this link

Raven MTX & MTi UK exclusive educational launch at Alchemea College
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➡️
How much would a monitor controller and a decent controller with 24 fares cost you?

Some people want everything for free.
No, some people are significantly more efficient with their money.
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➡️
No, some people are significantly more efficient with their money.
So, what professional grade controller do you recommend for under $15k
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
A mouse...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➡️
Well! going by the Sonar video you posted, it looks like we're actually not a good bit away from the major DAW's adding multitouch, in a few years the features offered by the Raven will likely be offered as standard features. If you need these multitouch features right now and can't wait, then the Raven is the box for you, but if you can hold on for a bit, it appears that you'll have a lot more options to choose from.

Any professional working in this industry will have this unit pay for itself with one or two projects.

2-3 years multiplied by a years income is a lifetime away.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 ➡️
A mouse...
Mouse mixing is for amateurs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This amateur just ordered his new Audi with all the money he's been saving mixing with a mouse

But in any case I can totally understand that for some workflows this thing can help. I've tried many controllers but they just seem to get in my way more than help. When you've been "mixing with the mouse" for 13 years it's not a handicap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why don't you do this- go on the classifieds here, or ebay, or craigslist, and type your question in the search and see the numerous "professional grade controllers" that are listed for significantly less. And probably half the price.

I think if I personally were not an analogue fanatic sitting behind one of the best consoles in history, I would probably pick myself up the SSL Matrix that is currently for sale on the classifieds here on GS. Its listed at $16,000. I'll bet the guy will probably take $14k-$15k for it, who knows? maybe less?.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward ➡️
This amateur just ordered his new Audi with all the money he's been saving mixing with a mouse

But in any case I can totally understand that for some workflows this thing can help. I've tried many controllers but they just seem to get in my way more than help. When you've been "mixing with the mouse" for 13 years it's not a handicap.

I like this guy.
Old 26th February 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Hi folks. We're very excited to be in the UK showing off the RAVEN MTX and MTi with Alchemea and Media Pros. The RAVEN will help make your studio workflow more efficient, fast, fun, and with its pristine state of the art digitally controlled monitor section, it'll sound better through your speakers! Hope to see you all.

More Info:
Raven MTX & MTi UK exclusive educational launch at Alchemea College

Cheers,
Steven
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How about 1/3 of 15k?

Solid State Logic | Music | Nucleus

🎧 10 years
In comparison to the Nucleus, the RAVEN MTi will sell for $3500 and offer:

- direct control of editing, plugins
- ability to customize your tool palette to your specific needs
- ability to create limitless macros
- 24 multi touch faders rather than 16 that are guaranteed for life
- virtual environment allows for future software upgrades
- pristine monitor path is digitally controlled and has NO audio going through knobs or switches
- built in laptop style speakers
- multi touch gestures for easy DAW control and navigation
- multi touch surround panner
- ability to write complex automation with your finger
- ability to use gestures to select multiple faders, swipe mutes and solos, easily group faders in seconds

Come see it!

Cheers,
Steven
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
In comparison to the Nucleus, the RAVEN MTi will sell for $3500 and offer:

- direct control of editing, plugins
- ability to customize your tool palette to your specific needs
- ability to create limitless macros
- 24 multi touch faders rather than 16 that are guaranteed for life
- virtual environment allows for future software upgrades
- pristine monitor path is digitally controlled and has NO audio going through knobs or switches
- built in laptop style speakers
- multi touch gestures for easy DAW control and navigation
- multi touch surround panner
- ability to write complex automation with your finger
- ability to use gestures to select multiple faders, swipe mutes and solos, easily group faders in seconds

Come see it!

Cheers,
Steven
Maybe the 2 can work great together?

I like using real faders and knobs for controlling the mix and plugins
I like touch screens for pitch and zoom, select, drag, drawing etc.
Old 26th February 2013

🎧 10 years
Sure they can, but perhaps the RAVEN might make you rethink touch faders and knobs!

Cheers,
Steven
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Mixing with a mouse gives you static mixes. I know this from experience.
I could never mix music or post without a fader.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➡️
Why don't you do this- go on the classifieds here, or ebay, or craigslist, and type your question in the search and see the numerous "professional grade controllers" that are listed for significantly less. And probably half the price.

I think if I personally were not an analogue fanatic sitting behind one of the best consoles in history, I would probably pick myself up the SSL Matrix that is currently for sale on the classifieds here on GS. Its listed at $16,000. I'll bet the guy will probably take $14k-$15k for it, who knows? maybe less?.....
$15k for a HUI controller.
No thanks.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
Bravo.

I can't mix with a mouse but applaud those of you that can. It's so much more intuitive to be touching one controller for everything. The time it takes me to find which fader I'm touching is quite measurable.

That's why I find these things appealing.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch ➡️
This thing (I think) still suffers from the disconnect of taking your hands off the mouse.

And HUI!!!!!!!!

Can we please move past this damn HUI thing?

Why can't some smart company develop their own mixer software that rivals Pro Tools?

Someone like…

I don't know…

SSL?

Write a driver that allows you to send audio to this mixer (Rewire or SoundFlower) and you can mix entirely in that software. Save it with your Pro Tools file and you can make the hardware that works perfectly with that unit.

C'mon.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mixing with a mouse gives you static mixes. I know this from experience.
No. You don't.

It might give "you" static mixes but to say dogmatically that it will give others the same result is a bit narrow-minded.

BTW - I'm in the same boat. I need faders too. I just don't think it's fair to say that because we grew up with real faders that it's the only way. I've seen people listen to a vocal, draw in some automation quicker than you or I could ever do with a fader in real-time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
$15k for a HUI controller.
No thanks.
Not sure if both Raven models use the HUI protocol, but the smaller Raven version does....
Old 26th February 2013
FFS
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
gutted, really wanted to come along tomo to check out the Raven! Any other demo's planned whilst in the UK Steven?
G
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
This thing (I think) still suffers from the disconnect of taking your hands off the mouse.

And HUI!!!!!!!!

Can we please move past this damn HUI thing?

Why can't some smart company develop their own mixer software that rivals Pro Tools?

Someone like…

I don't know…

SSL?

Write a driver that allows you to send audio to this mixer (Rewire or SoundFlower) and you can mix entirely in that software. Save it with your Pro Tools file and you can make the hardware that works perfectly with that unit.

C'mon.
Wouldn't that destroy compatibility amongst studios and/or arrangers?
The whole point in using PT in the first place (taking aside workflow) is so you're compatible with pretty much anyone in the industry.
Using a controller for PT allows you to keep that compatibility going. Not to mention the money spent on plugins for the PT platform.
If SSL were to release a mixer software specifically for their controllers, you might as well go for an already settled DAW like Nuendo and use a controller specifically built for it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
Wouldn't that destroy compatibility amongst studios and/or arrangers?
The whole point in using PT in the first place (taking aside workflow) is so you're compatible with pretty much anyone in the industry.
Using a controller for PT allows you to keep that compatibility going. Not to mention the money spent on plugins for the PT platform.
If SSL were to release a mixer software specifically for their controllers, you might as well go for an already settled DAW like Nuendo and use a controller specifically built for it.
Yes. But I was talking about making something as a mixing tool.

It wouldn't be any different than using a digital or analog mixer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes. But I was talking about making something as a mixing tool.

It wouldn't be any different than using a digital or analog mixer.
How would that help with the workflow?
ITB is very practical. Even more so with controllers, especially those that are fully optimised for a given DAW.
That's why so many people have moved away from analog, and especially digital mixers. Like you.
Why would you advocate SSL introducing a separate software to work alongside another DAW?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How would that help with the workflow?
It would allow a company like SSL to build a better controller without the limitations of HUI.

Quote:
ITB is very practical. Even more so with controllers, especially those that are fully optimised for a given DAW.
But that gives Avid the advantage over SSL in creating a better unit.

Every manufacturer that makes a controller for Pro Tools is forced to use this HUI thing. Boo
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Daftest thing I have ever heard, your talking the cost of a car for a workflow device. Your also calling grammy award winning mixers that use mice amateurs.. Your either extremely brave or!..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 ➡️
Daftest thing I have ever heard, your talking the cost of a car for a workflow device. Your also calling grammy award winning mixers that use mice amateurs.. Your either extremely brave or!..
But he's not totally incorrect. If we ran the numbers we'd see that more professionals use real faders and almost all amateurs use a mouse.

He's just incorrect that it effects the results for everyone.

It's like what people used to say about mixing in the box. Because professionals didn't have to and amateurs did. But that changed.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
But he's not totally incorrect. If we ran the numbers we'd see that more professionals use real faders and almost all amateurs use a mouse.

He's just incorrect that it effects the results for everyone.

It's like what people used to say about mixing in the box. Because professionals didn't have to and amateurs did. But that changed.
There's a fair few GS vet's with mouses in there hands, which you know Kenny.

I agree that there are more pro's using faders and that's cool and I find them quicker myself, but come on.. There has to be a limit, a part where common sense says that in a suffering economy and increasing market options you have to spend wisely.

It's a lot of money and something like a soundcraft ghost can be had for half the price.. Spend 10K more and your looking at a full blown second hand Neve or calrec desk.. For ITB faders, there's tons of options and many quite cheap..
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD ➡️

There has to be a limit, a part where common sense says that in a suffering economy and increasing market options you have to spend wisely.
Sure. But how much we spend varies on the user.

We're not all equal.

Let's say you're paid $1500 per mix and you can mix one song per day. And you're booked solid for the next few months. If this unit speeds up your mixing by even 10%, then it pays for itself in less than a month.
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Sure. But how much we spend varies on the user.

We're not all equal.

Let's say you're paid $1500 per mix and you can mix one song per day. And you're booked solid for the next few months. If this unit speeds up your mixing by even 10%, then it pays for itself in less than a month.
Exactly, that's where it can pay off and so could something else with faders!.. But I don't think over the last year I've heard anyone come close to that level of pay constantly..

I believe it's also going to get worse before it get's better, obviously speculating there.

If it's the right tool for someone cool, but personally I don't see it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but it all seems a little crazy in my warped little world.
📝 Reply