Slate Raven MTI at NAMM - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➡️
Steven (mind you if I call you Steven? )
Are you planning on a Raven MT Controller only version?
Not planned at this time. The idea of this system is an integrated solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➡️
+1 as well, though I suspect we're getting a super bundle at the price point precisely because they're bundled.
It would be MUCH better for us if the monitor controller was modular, but a monitor controller that's more feature rich than an Avocet (minus one monitor out) with sound that rivals it (according to Slate's description) would probably be equal in price to one whole Raven MTI or more if it was to be released by another brand.

Steven, would it be possible to tap into the Raven's wiring and bypass the little speakers so a third monitor out could be used instead?
Can't bypass betty, but it does have two additional monitor outs and three more on the big guy. The monitor section ergonomically placed at the front of the controller in mix position is part of what makes the overall workflow so fluid so again, we do not plan on breaking this integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
looks pretty cool!

why, out of curiosity, the keyboard and trackball in front?
Cuz they come in handy when needed for all that compooooter schtuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch ➡️
The virtual trackpad is a temporary fix because DAW's don't support multi touch yet. They whole point of using touchscreens is because a trackpad would no longer be necessary right. So its a solution for now but what we really want is no trackpad at all.
Yes and no. The DAW's don't support native multi touch and it will certainly be great to do navigation and track gestures on the actual track when they do... but the floating nav pad has its own advantages in that you can place it anywhere, which becomes handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch ➡️

Steve are you guys going to Messe in Frankfurt?
Its the trade show you should be at if you want Europe to know more about your products. (plus I'll have the change to try it out )

Some other suggestions on the features and looks.

- No glossy finish.
I would pay extra for a unibody aluminium casing.

- Retina display.
I'm not buying anything else up to this point. Having my IOS devices with retina displays I'm beginning to dislike working on my 17inch macbook pro with a 1920x1200 resolution.

- Capable of turning the MTi it at different angles.
Design the back as flat as possible with all its weight there so it can be flipped over and placed on its back. ( example: PicPaste - 2sides-zofnhtyQ.jpg )

This will drive up the costs but it might attract more buyers as well. It would also be more future proof and useable for other things, placed in different area's etc.
We'll likely have RAVENs at MESSE, the MTi angle is adjustable, it will ship with the gloss black (sorry I always envied the hifi market because I love gloss and find matte and flat paint boring to look at all day), but we plan on offering different finishes and colors at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➡️
I too found the MTI very interesting for me, using ProTools when 11 (hopefully) will be released I will have to replace my 16 faders ProControl and the MTi seems a great solution.

I wanted to know, if I put a regular monitor on top of it for editing purposes, will I still be able to have the ProTools' windows open and operate on them with my mouse/trackball or does the Raven software take over anyways ?

Will it be capable of controlling Presonus Studio One (I find myself using it more and more) ?

Thanks
No you can have your mouse parked up with the PT windows on the other monitors. Yes we will support Presonus Studio One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss ➡️
I really want to see a 30 min video with a real life mix situation. I know this isn't going to happen but I'm sure there are some shortcomings where the mouse is still better and I would love to know these. What is the GC pro return policy if I don't like it? 30 days would be enough.
Might not be 30 min video but I am going to do a video where I mix a track and show how all the RAVEN features make it easier, faster, and more creative.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you again Steven, It was great to see the MTI at Namm and it really hits the spot of what I need in a controller. When I first saw the Raven at AES I was very impressed but it was more than I needed. I think you hit the sweet spot here with the MTI in size and pricing. I for one cannot wait till its in the marketplace as its definitely on my list for a new controller.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➡️
....but I am going to do a video where I mix a track and show how all the RAVEN features make it easier, faster
Yes please!
Quote:
No you can have your mouse parked up with the PT windows on the other monitors. Yes we will support Presonus Studio One.

Steven

Thank you for the info Steven, looking forward to demo one here in Montreal
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the answer Steven
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
multiple daws

Will the MTI be able to support multiple DAWs at the same time thus allowing switching between them as needed?

This assumes that the interface software can support the DAWs in question.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Might not be 30 min video but I am going to do a video where I mix a track and show how all the RAVEN features make it easier, faster, and more creative.

That will definitely clear up a few things for the non believers and may well win over a few new customers along the way.

Cheers
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Will the Raven MTI be able to replicate the human brain and integrate with our existing brain to help me transcend my biological design and launch me to the singularity while making a cup of coffee every 4 minutes? (and also needs to be waterproof so i can mix in the shower and washes me with a built in soap dispenser that never runs out)
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee ➡️
Will the Raven MTI be able to replicate the human brain and integrate with our existing brain to help me transcend my biological design and launch me to the singularity while making a cup of coffee every 4 minutes? (and also needs to be waterproof so i can mix in the shower and washes me with a built in soap dispenser that never runs out)
I'm not pulling the trigger on one unless they can cut the coffee making time to 2 minutes. I need it fast, now, and above average quality....just saying.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris ➡️
I'm not pulling the trigger on one unless they can cut the coffee making time to 2 minutes. I need it fast, now, and above average quality....just saying.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Maybe Steven can strike a deal with Jura and offer the MTi and Impressa for $4999 sweet !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kudos to Roland

Damn, I gotta admit that I'm impressed! Sonar showed us some minority report sh*t!! They totally beat apple at their own game lol.. That said, I'm personally I'm not a fan of the touch thingy for mixing, mainly because of the lack of tactile feedback.. But kudos to Sonar for be so forward thinking!

PS: I just bought me an SSL matrix, my post might be a little biased
Gear Maniac

I imagine Keurig-integration wouldn't be that hard.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
Damn, I gotta admit that I'm impressed! Sonar showed us some minority report sh*t!! They totally beat apple at their own game lol.. That said, I'm personally I'm not a fan of the touch thingy for mixing, mainly because of the lack of tactile feedback.. But kudos to Sonar for be so forward thinking!

PS: I just bought me an SSL matrix, my post might be a little biased
congrats on the matrix , this is a good piece of HW !! and talking about ssl the nucleus light like with no interface makes sens.....with a built in monitoring management (like a spl control built in) would be just great !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️

That will definitely clear up a few things for the non believers and may well win over a few new customers along the way.

Cheers
Actually, a comprehensive video is exactly what is needed.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How is a raven like a writing desk? there's not supposed to be an answer to this riddle Steven.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAlchemist ➡️
How is a raven like a writing desk? there's not supposed to be an answer to this riddle Steven.
Poe wrote on both.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
congrats on the matrix , this is a good piece of HW !! and talking about ssl the nucleus light like with no interface makes sens.....with a built in monitoring management (like a spl control built in) would be just great !!
Thanks! I didn't plan to buy until next year but it was "an offer i couldn't refuse"got it for a steal I agree on the nucleus lite.. I does make sense but I'm not sure how many full blown nucleus they will be able to sell. They shouldn't have include all the extra from the get go..
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep ^ the only thing that kept me from buying the nucleus is drivers ......and software maturity ....
Old 5th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Steven, Is there anywhere in the UK i can try this?

Would make a great report for my Uni Project!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
and talking about ssl the nucleus light like with no interface makes sens.
Nope it doesn't. Sure it would be awesome if someone builds it but SSL is not a company for controllers. For me personally I would actually like to have more 2 more i/o on the Nucleus. It does need updates more often.
Extenders would be a nice welcome. (example: the mackie xt extender)
And SSL needs to change the plate and screws on the bottom. (got a nasty scratch on my desk because of it. :(
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Steven - are there specs (i/o connectivity, audio and video) anywhere? Sounds and looks very cool...Also, it seems to me that the long pole here will be having your software compatible with changes in UI (i.e. multitouch) coming from HW/SW vendors (such as apple and msft) over time. It certainly appears that your guys have done some very cool software things that are part of your product, but not yet available on macs, for instance. At some point you'd think that PT (or whatever DAW) would be making use of the native capabilities of apple/msft - at that point y'all have to figure out if you keep supporting your code, or move to native...could be tricky, unless you've built a layer in your architecture that allows you to easily replace those functions with equivalent native functions...I'm really interested in the MTI version - but with all this digital stuff, it's hard to know how long it will be viable....any comments on this?
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A few quick questions:

1. What are the dimensions of the MTi?
2. What are the connections to the computer? Video? HUI MIDI or MIDI over USB?
3. Will it work with Digital Performer?

Thanks,
Stu
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just popping in to see if the video has been released yet.
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So is the new video and specs out?
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I played with it namm.very cool concept.
Think I would miss real faders to grab though.
what about when a newer generation/better touchscreen becomes available?with the rate technology moves these days,seems like the screens might become obsolete pretty quickly?
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You'd hope Slate Pro would just charge you a certain amount and ship the screen to you to replace the old one in the casing.
It certainly shouldn't be something you should have to buy all over again, particularly as the monitor section is part of the system.
I'd still prefer the monitor section to be separate either way.
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So when is this video demo coming out?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Pricing for the RAVEN MTX is $15,999 stereo and $17,499 for surround

Cheers,
Steven
$15-$17k for a glorified touch screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? HELLO???

Last edited by Alex Breaux; 25th February 2013 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: I had to sugar coat this.. I felt bad.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➡️
You go get em Alex !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux ➡️
How much would a monitor controller and a decent controller with 24 fares cost you?

Some people want everything for free.
📝 Reply