Slate Raven MTI at NAMM - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe ➑️
phew. this thread became exhausting real quick. mix magazine is hoping to receive one for a review. the word at NAMM for Nashville was that Slate was hoping to send a few of the small consoles to various studios and one of the large ones to blackbird. sounds like they are getting ready to do some serious beta testing!

please take a chill pill before posting more trollish nonsense and generally making this a worse place to waste time
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe ➑️
phew. this thread became exhausting real quick.
More like "bizarre".

Saying why you don't like something you don't yet own and don't want to own once or twice is enough I think. Hammering on it is not that productive and comes off as bashing plain and simple.

"I think it sucks." Ok, noted. Move on.

OTOH, if you actually buy one, you purchase the right to moan all you want. It's bizarre to see people seemingly become annoyed only because other people like something they hate.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you guys don't like that some people have a not positive view of the product then engaging them in debate about it will probably make them continue debating it. If you don't like what they write then don't respond.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steven have you struck a deal with any distributor in Spain or Portugal for the Ravens?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looking forward to checking it out. Just wondering about palm rests.
Where the faders are sitting, I would be resting my palm on the screen, hitting buttons.
How does that work?
Old 31st January 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
You can put the faders anywhere on the screen, including the bottom, where you can rest your wrists and have a very comfortable experience. Having said that, I've gotten used to putting the transport first and the faders on top of it and just reaching out and grabbing... again, having the faders in my peripheral vision (due to the angle) helps me identify tracks quicker so I can grab them. Because there are so many rest periods in a typical engineer workflow (even if brief), we've not experienced any arm fatigue issues at all.

Cheers,
Steven

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Steven have you struck a deal with any distributor in Spain or Portugal for the Ravens?
We have some distributors that will cover this area. Stay tuned to slateproaudio.com for more info.

Cheers,
Steven
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
You can put the faders anywhere on the screen, including the bottom, where you can rest your wrists and have a very comfortable experience. Having said that, I've gotten used to putting the transport first and the faders on top of it and just reaching out and grabbing... again, having the faders in my peripheral vision (due to the angle) helps me identify tracks quicker so I can grab them. Because there are so many rest periods in a typical engineer workflow (even if brief), we've not experienced any arm fatigue issues at all.

Cheers,
Steven
Ah, I see.
Ok. As far as mixing in post, I have my hands on the faders probably 90% of a 9 hour day. So you can see where this is an important issue.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I checked out the Raven at NAMM Friday and Saturday several times both days. The guys at the booth were really nice and helpful. I am just interested in the smaller Raven because the large one doesn't work for us on a lot of levels. Plus we would need to reconfigure our mix room to accommodate it.

We have been using ProControls for over 10 years, so we don't mix with a mouse or trackpad. Once PT 11 hits, ProControl won't be supported so we are looking into a new controller solution.

I really like the idea of the Raven, but after spending some time with it I came away feeling it wasn't working for my situation. The touch faders moved smoothly as SS has said, but one thing that drove me absolutely nuts was everytime I touched a volume fader, it immediately moved a little bit +.6 or -.4 etc. I really made sure I wasn't accidentally moving my finger on the touchscreen a tiny bit. The guys at the booth said the Raven MTi was still in beta and that was being looked at. The other thing I personally did not care for was moving pans on the touchscreen.

I would imagine if you used the Raven for a week or so you would get used to the touchscreen style of mixing, but on the 27" touchscreen, I just didn't care for the way things were responding to my touch. By that I mean sometimes some things would be selected immediately and sometimes I would have to select it 2 or 3 times to get it to work. I have that issue on my iPad sometimes. Not sure I would use the touchscreen for intense editing or precise editing because I just wasn't proficient using my finger to do that. I had to keep zooming in and in so the size of my finger would precisely put the cursor where I needed it. Again, others may get used to this quickly and be more accurate than I was able to be?

You do need to use the Raven software, otherwise if you edit on the ProTools mixer it is pretty slow IMO. It then acts just like V Control (Neyrinck) where your finger places a cursor where you touch the glass and then you make your moves. I was told the Raven uses the HUI protocol as well and not ethernet control. I also didn't hear the audio monitor set up. I'm sure it is way better than the 'world-class' monitor section that came with the original ProControl!

On the smaller Raven you do have to be careful and make sure your shirt sleeves don't drape over the controller and accidentally touch other parts of the screen as that happened to me a few times....

The Raven MTi is worth checking out if you need a new reasonably priced controller solution. But I would definitely spend some time with it before buying it. Unfortunately in my case, it doesn't work for me at this time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We have some distributors that will cover this area. Stay tuned to slateproaudio.com for more info.

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks Steven. Keep up the good work
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Michael c that was a really good review of it.
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 10 years
Hi Michael, thanks for coming by the booth and checking the RAVEN out! The smaller RAVEN MTi's were not nearly as tweaked out as the large RAVEN (the MTi software build for NAMM was finished Thursday morning of NAMM). In comparison, the 46" MTX control software has been rock solid in terms of touch threshold, fader filter threshold, etc.

On Sunday we installed a new build on the MTi's which I was much happier with and it responded very accurately. The issue Michael reported about having to touch something a few times to get it to respond was completely fixed.

A lot of this has to do with two simple parameters in our software.. mainly the touch threshold (how big an area each click point offers the touch panel to execute the function) and calibration (where the touch panel thinks your finger is in relation to the function you want to access). And these things are easy to adjust and optimize.

We'll be doing several events in the upcoming months both here and abroad, and I'll announce those events as they are solidified.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I dont know if i missed this part in any of the threads or videos of the raven series, but how is it going to connect to the computer? Is it usb or firewire or something like that? Again sorry if thats already been stated.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I believe it was USB.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c ➑️
I checked out the Raven at NAMM Friday and Saturday several times both days. The guys at the booth were really nice and helpful. I am just interested in the smaller Raven because the large one doesn't work for us on a lot of levels. Plus we would need to reconfigure our mix room to accommodate it.

We have been using ProControls for over 10 years, so we don't mix with a mouse or trackpad. Once PT 11 hits, ProControl won't be supported so we are looking into a new controller solution.

I really like the idea of the Raven, but after spending some time with it I came away feeling it wasn't working for my situation. The touch faders moved smoothly as SS has said, but one thing that drove me absolutely nuts was everytime I touched a volume fader, it immediately moved a little bit +.6 or -.4 etc. I really made sure I wasn't accidentally moving my finger on the touchscreen a tiny bit. The guys at the booth said the Raven MTi was still in beta and that was being looked at. The other thing I personally did not care for was moving pans on the touchscreen.

I would imagine if you used the Raven for a week or so you would get used to the touchscreen style of mixing, but on the 27" touchscreen, I just didn't care for the way things were responding to my touch. By that I mean sometimes some things would be selected immediately and sometimes I would have to select it 2 or 3 times to get it to work. I have that issue on my iPad sometimes. Not sure I would use the touchscreen for intense editing or precise editing because I just wasn't proficient using my finger to do that. I had to keep zooming in and in so the size of my finger would precisely put the cursor where I needed it. Again, others may get used to this quickly and be more accurate than I was able to be?

You do need to use the Raven software, otherwise if you edit on the ProTools mixer it is pretty slow IMO. It then acts just like V Control (Neyrinck) where your finger places a cursor where you touch the glass and then you make your moves. I was told the Raven uses the HUI protocol as well and not ethernet control. I also didn't hear the audio monitor set up. I'm sure it is way better than the 'world-class' monitor section that came with the original ProControl!

On the smaller Raven you do have to be careful and make sure your shirt sleeves don't drape over the controller and accidentally touch other parts of the screen as that happened to me a few times....

The Raven MTi is worth checking out if you need a new reasonably priced controller solution. But I would definitely spend some time with it before buying it. Unfortunately in my case, it doesn't work for me at this time.
Thanks for the wonderfully balanced review! Very interesting.

Regarding HUI, I thought Steven said in another thread that it wasn't going to be HUI, when myself and a couple of others were discussing the protocol to control Pro Tools, as I couldn't think of anything else that could control a closed system like PT.
Is it HUI after all?
Old 1st February 2013

🎧 10 years
We use HUI but then our programmers went way deeper to add our own protocol features that were custom made for the RAVEN.. functions like our floating plugin controller, gesture navigation, send/fader mode, fine fader mode, track graphics, mute and solo swipe, and more are all stuff that was custom coded.

I also want to add that the mouse curser can disappear when you use the RAVEN mixer, that's easy. And again, the smaller RAVEN software at NAMM was in beta and the issues with it are not evident on the current build, nor were they evident at all on the bigger RAVEN.

We just had the legendary Alan Moulder come and check it out and he was quite impressed!

Video coming soon.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Steven.

Say you have 120 tracks..
On a regular controller you'd either be banking through the tracks to reach the right fader(s) on Pro Tools, or you'd go to the bottom of the track with your mouse and click the track name while pressing a combination of keys (haven't used controllers in a while.. think it was something like command+control+click?).
How does it work with the Raven?
Old 1st February 2013

🎧 10 years
there is a moveable bank button. You can even choose how many tracks to bank with one touch... so bank 8, 24, or even 1 track at a time.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So is it not possible to simply scroll/swipe through all the faders and simply start using the faders you want?
Couldn't you program the Raven to trigger into action the moment you touch a fader instead of using a bank button?
Old 1st February 2013

🎧 10 years
I'm sorry, yes it will work as you described too using the scroll instead of bank. But if you want to immediately see the next set of 32 faders for instance, bank is helpful.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah, I understand.
Thank you.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steven (mind you if I call you Steven? )
Are you planning on a Raven MT Controller only version? Without Audio Outs for those that may already have a Input/Outputs/Monitoring setup and could be interested in Raven just as a controller which without Audio/Analogue parts would be cheaper to build/buy?
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➑️
Steven (mind you if I call you Steven? )
Are you planning on a Raven MT Controller only version? Without Audio Outs for those that may already have a Input/Outputs/Monitoring setup and could be interested in Raven just as a controller which without Audio/Analogue parts would be cheaper to build/buy?
+1
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 as well, though I suspect we're getting a super bundle at the price point precisely because they're bundled.
It would be MUCH better for us if the monitor controller was modular, but a monitor controller that's more feature rich than an Avocet (minus one monitor out) with sound that rivals it (according to Slate's description) would probably be equal in price to one whole Raven MTI or more if it was to be released by another brand.

Steven, would it be possible to tap into the Raven's wiring and bypass the little speakers so a third monitor out could be used instead?
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
looks pretty cool!

why, out of curiosity, the keyboard and trackball in front?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➑️
looks pretty cool!

why, out of curiosity, the keyboard and trackball in front?
I'd hate to have them behind me!
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
I'd hate to have them behind me!
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The virtual nav pad is great because you can put it ANYWHERE on the screen and you can zoom in and out, increase track size, etc... wherever your hand wants it to be. For instance, I have a layout now that my brain is already accustomed to, where I have the navpad stabalized in the lower right portion of the screen. Therefore, regardless of where the track I want to zoom in on is, I can easily expand and contract it.
The virtual trackpad is a temporary fix because DAW's don't support multi touch yet. They whole point of using touchscreens is because a trackpad would no longer be necessary right. So its a solution for now but what we really want is no trackpad at all.

Quote:
The problem with "good consumer touchscreens" is that they are made to be low cost, and response time and Mac drivers (remember Mac's don't yet support multitouch) are not a primary concern.

So the RAVEN units are the ultimate answer, not only because the touch systems and the LED displays are MADE for pro use in the audio industry, but because you get the absolute most amazing modern feature oriented monitor sections ever! Again, I can't wait to check out Sonar.
I didn't say consumer touchscreens and there are other options like an frame on top of existing monitors. ISE Amsterdam this week..lots of touchscreen..non of them were response enough. (i'm talking about systems costing 20k and up) As of now I only see the value in the software part. But it has to be updated with every big update of the DAW's otherwise its more a burden then useable to its full potential.

Steve are you guys going to Messe in Frankfurt?
Its the trade show you should be at if you want Europe to know more about your products. (plus I'll have the change to try it out )

Some other suggestions on the features and looks.

- No glossy finish.
I would pay extra for a unibody aluminium casing.

- Retina display.
I'm not buying anything else up to this point. Having my IOS devices with retina displays I'm beginning to dislike working on my 17inch macbook pro with a 1920x1200 resolution.

- Capable of turning the MTi it at different angles.
Design the back as flat as possible with all its weight there so it can be flipped over and placed on its back. ( example: PicPaste - 2sides-zofnhtyQ.jpg )

This will drive up the costs but it might attract more buyers as well. It would also be more future proof and useable for other things, placed in different area's etc.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

I too found the MTI very interesting for me, using ProTools when 11 (hopefully) will be released I will have to replace my 16 faders ProControl and the MTi seems a great solution.

I wanted to know, if I put a regular monitor on top of it for editing purposes, will I still be able to have the ProTools' windows open and operate on them with my mouse/trackball or does the Raven software take over anyways ?

Will it be capable of controlling Presonus Studio One (I find myself using it more and more) ?

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I really want to see a 30 min video with a real life mix situation. I know this isn't going to happen but I'm sure there are some shortcomings where the mouse is still better and I would love to know these. What is the GC pro return policy if I don't like it? 30 days would be enough.
πŸ“ Reply