Quantcast
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Very curious to know if this has been tested with UA's Apollo console application?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
27" table top, full RAVEN control software, digitally controlled analog monitor section with ultra hifi sonics..

PRICE:
$3499

more info soon. too tired to write....

Cheers,
Steven
Quoted with pic as this is page 3.

This MTi may come at the right time for me, but can't see details on the Slate website.

Is the MTi just a DAW mixer control or does it a also offer anything in the way of quality audio interface INS/OUTS analogue/digital ins/outs.

Is there any analogue mixing in the MTi or is it only a touch control surface although possibly a fantastic one?

Is the MTX maybe a full analogue mixer under the touch interface?

How does the MTi work wi Logic? And plugins instruments/effects? I guess works with it all.

Also does the MTi mixer replaces your Logic DAW mixer? Automatically? And I guess like any other control surface the MTi is just that, so you would use this in parallel with your normal MAC/PC display screens setup?

Finally what about availability dates and price in UK?

Tanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Steven this smaller unit looks very very interesting. A couple of quick questions, are the pictured keyboard and ball part of the price or additional? And on the video when the gentleman is drawing the automation the track height is small. I am assuming that in the Pro Tools window you have all the PT features and for example can select taller track heights for more detailed automation Yes ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting product. How might the movement of applications to multitouch directly affect something like the Raven? I mean, it seems below that you could get most of the way there with Sonar and a good touchscreen.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Interesting product. How might the movement of applications to multitouch directly affect something like the Raven? I mean, it seems below that you could get most of the way there with Sonar and a good touchscreen.

Now you've done it!...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, we're a good bit away from all the major DAWs being multitouch. I was just wondering how all that might affect this kind of product when (or rather, if) that happens.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➑️
Now you've done it!...
Hmmm...perhaps the main difference is the choice of DAW. Otherwise, not too much different. So it's the software that is the big deal about raven?!?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, we're a good bit away from all the major DAWs being multitouch. I was just wondering how all that might affect this kind of product when (or rather, if) that happens.
Well, we don't really know how long until they are, but you're right, in my opinion the Raven would be (even) less attractive to me at that point simply because I wouldn't need it to get touch control over my DAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 ➑️
Hmmm...perhaps the main difference is the choice of DAW. Otherwise, not too much different. So it's the software that is the big deal about raven?!?
Why would I want a touch control over a software that emulates hardware that then controls software that emulates hardware? For starters, from a practical standpoint, I'd be putting my trust in Steven's company updating the software appropriately for the software I'm using so as to avoid not being able to upgrade my DAW because the Raven isn't prepared for it.

Yet another software to keep track of. If the DAWs offer touch control then the only thing I'll need is a touch screen.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Spent some time with Steven at his booth yesterday checking out the Raven MTI and without a doubt this is going to change how a ton of people work. It's really an amazing piece (that actually works as advertised) and the fact that he has built in the Betty speakers and full monitor control along with a feature packed touch screen surface for this price is unreal.
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➑️
If the DAWs offer touch control then the only thing I'll need is a touch screen.
I'm not convinced at all by that argument. For an example, control software in the Raven allows buttons to be bigger than they can on a screen. In Pro Tools, the automation window (with write to selection, write to start, write to end etc) is tiny but if those functions are mapped to buttons on the Raven they can be bigger and easier to use. I realise that this can be eliminated by simply making the DAW buttons bigger to allow for touchscreen control but that's another GUI redesign. If the Automation window in PT was any bigger it'd be a pain for non-touchscreen users.
I get where you're coming from in that once similar quality touchscreens are more widely available and the DAWs support multitouch the Raven will have some seriously stiff competition but this one (the MTi) seems to be pretty damn well priced in that you're getting a touchscreen and a fairly serious analogue monitor section in one box for under $4k.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian ➑️
Spent some time with Steven at his booth yesterday checking out the Raven MTI and without a doubt this is going to change how a ton of people work. It's really an amazing piece (that actually works as advertised) and the fact that he has built in the Betty speakers and full monitor control along with a feature packed touch screen surface for this price is unreal.
What are "Betty" speakers ?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Laptop type speakers that are built into the Ravens
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad ➑️
Just seen this (was stuck in a few 14hr sessions for the last few days)

Looks great Steven. And is something I should be able to integrate into our setups. A few questions (sorry didnt have time to read the whole thread yet - so if it has been answered - sorry):
1. When will these be available?
2. In Aus do I need to go thru Lew for a demo/buy?
3. For the bigger unit - you have a surround version - is that the case with the smaller unit as well? Does this relate to monitoring only or are there other differences?
4. Is the soft functionality same as for the bigger unit?

Again, I like this, well done.
Hope to hear from you
Yury
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
Laptop type speakers that are built into the Ravens
Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
I went back for a third look. Asked Steve to grab four faders and move them at once. A little laggy, but not as bad as something like an iPad. In general, I'm all for multi-touch and see all of us in the very early stages. I'm already integrating it and will do more so over the next year. The morphing-tactile surfaces will really help when they come into wider use later this year.

I'll say this... kudos to Fabrice for getting the tech working..

But I'll also say this.. and not in a mean way......

Just behind Steve and the Raven was all the SSL stuff about four feet away. I found myself looking back and forth between the Raven w/Steve nodding and mixing to the music... and then back over to the several aws and matrixes just behind Steve. Then back over to Steve. Then back over to the ssl stuff.

Unfortunately, my heart was whisked back to the New York AES in the 70s when I was there for the first unveling of SSL stuff. Hard to let that go.

The knobs and faders and "tactileness" of the ssl stuff sitting behind Steve at Namm is hard to dismiss in my head. Even today, I stood there, one nod of the head watching Steve... then a sideways look at the beautiful ssls sitting there.........taking in the sheer beauty of the ssl consoles...not lost even in the knowledge that you can just plug them into the wall nowadays rather than concocting a multi thousand dollar cooling/electrical system.

As I glanced back and forth, the Raven started to look like one of those huge PacMan tables you used to see in Pizza Hut in the 70s.

As much as I believe in the power of touch, man... it probably wasn't a good thing for me to stand there with Steve's stuff to my left and ssl to my right.

I'm really leaning towards investing in ssl for my main control of things over the next ten year stretch.
I think you have to put prices into account as well..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
Hi! No lag. Fast as motorized analog faders.

Such a great day at NAMM. Thanks to all the gearslutters who have stopped by!!

Cheers,
Steven
I was there today and can verify this.

And by the way guys (and gals) stop criticizing the unit(s) until you see them in person. Those crappy iphone photos aren't very good.

You are allowed to bitch and moan when your sentence starts with "well I played around with one today and......"

Slate stuff is on the cutting edge.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is Mr.Slate going to post the video on this forum? Basically just a way to know when it goes up. Email, Text alert, checking this forum, something. Maybe even a new thread? I'm sure it'll get a 7 million opinions and will be get bumped often enough for me to notice lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think the MTI is gonna be legendary. Its certainly gonna change the game for me. Slate is a genious.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 28th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakson ➑️
I think the MTI is gonna be legendary. Its certainly gonna change the game for me. Slate is a genious.

Sent from my DROIDX
? why?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Slate Jumps the Shark.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ive never had the pleasure of working on a big mixer so i could care less aboutbthe "real feel" of faders... and i suck with a mouse. Lol. There has been many of times that i wished i could just reach out and touch exactly what i wanted just to save time. Imo the mti is going to help my work flow quite dramatically. I understand its not for everyone but what really is? I myself am pumped.

Sent from my DROIDX
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman ➑️
I was there today and can verify this.

And by the way guys (and gals) stop criticizing the unit(s) until you see them in person. Those crappy iphone photos aren't very good.

You are allowed to bitch and moan when your sentence starts with "well I played around with one today and......"

Slate stuff is on the cutting edge.
a lot of people sure have a man-crush on the Dane Cook of audio-tech

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well! going by the Sonar video you posted, it looks like we're actually not a good bit away from the major DAW's adding multitouch, in a few years the features offered by the Raven will likely be offered as standard features. If you need these multitouch features right now and can't wait, then the Raven is the box for you, but if you can hold on for a bit, it appears that you'll have a lot more options to choose from.

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If it works as advertised, the MTI is SUPER affordable for just abouts anyone. Gonna see a lot of them in private rooms. Wonder if Argosy is going to have a nice solution for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➑️
Well! going by the Sonar video you posted, it looks like we're actually not a good bit away from the major DAW's adding multitouch, in a few years the features offered by the Raven will likely be offered as standard features. I
To me "a few years" is "a good bit away". I was thinking much like you are tbh, that in 2-3-4 years all the major DAWs might be multitouch. I mean, Sonar is (apparently) the first. Who knows how long it will take Apple, Steiny, MOTU, PreSonus and the rest to do it, if they all actually do it... though I do suspect Logic might be the next to do it and I also suspect that PT might be the last.

That's (2-3 years) "a good bit away" as I personally measure time... mmv on that.

The Raven looks pretty slick though. Mr. Slate should be very proud of what he accomplished there... imo. Like literally anything else, some will love it, some will hate it and some will be in various places in the middle. Since we aren't forced to buy it, it all kinda works out for everyone invovled... or not involved.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would still like an answer to my earlier question from Steven or anyone who gave it serious try. How does the screen look like after say, 20 minutes of constant use , in terms of fingerprint traces compared to say an iPad screen ? Does it have some special coating or any special way to deal with this ? Or do you just have to wipe it and clean it constantly ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
I would still like an answer to my earlier question from Steven or anyone who gave it serious try. How does the screen look like after say, 20 minutes of constant use , in terms of fingerprint traces compared to say an iPad screen ? Does it have some special coating or any special way to deal with this ? Or do you just have to wipe it and clean it constantly ?
I'm always happy to say that I have no experience with iGizmos.

The three times I was at the Slate booth (and many other times walking by to get to other places) , the Raven was in pretty much continuous use by Steven (didn't really see anyone else putting their hands on it, even when seated next to Steve). I was looking for fingertip smudges among other things. They were there.. but the display is SO bright and the faders/knobs SO big, that any smudges are no biggie as far as being distractions.

At least that's what I was running in my mind as I looked at the workflow. There were several center area popup screens that came up a lot and Steve would tap. Once the popup boxes went away to reveal the fader track areas, I didn't notice any noticeable buildup of fingerprints in the area. If there was a LOT more black in the display background, smudges might show more. Dunno.

With the 45 degree angle (or whatever it is on the Raven), I was also moving from dead-on front to the sides to see how the brightness/smudge factor etc changed. With the icons/knobs/faders so huge on the display, everything looked about the same from any angle I stepped to.

I don't know the cleaning regiment... I stood there thinking I'd probably spray some Windex etc on the top every couple of hours and wipe it down...... which if is okay... sure beats trying to clean dust bunnies etc between faders and knobs on my consoles.

This is also my experience on using the 3m multitouch display. On a more subdued work surface with lots of blacks, you see more smudging. Two or three 3m displays aren't putting out the intense brightness of the larger Raven.... which would seem to make smudges on the 3m even more visible. But I find when working on the multitouch displays, that my eyes are so focused on all the touch controls (and whatever I'm listening to), that display smudges just don't register with the brain.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks. I guess it's not so bad then...
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➑️
Well! going by the Sonar video you posted, it looks like we're actually not a good bit away from the major DAW's adding multitouch, in a few years the features offered by the Raven will likely be offered as standard features. If you need these multitouch features right now and can't wait, then the Raven is the box for you, but if you can hold on for a bit, it appears that you'll have a lot more options to choose from.
But I think the Raven series could become BETTER once DAWs go multitouch.
They can offer all sorts of features the DAW being used don't offer, with different gestures and shortcut buttons allowing for faster workflow, not to mention a touchscreen that's superior to standard ones.

One feature request to the Slate team:
The feature where you get better resolution for the fader for smaller increments by pressing a button. This is the same as pressing Command while using a mouse or controller. Why not go one better than that?
Press the button, then the next fader you select, the fader zooms into a big-ass fader (300mm?) where you really do see and feel a higher resolution fader for rides.
πŸ“ Reply