The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
Mediapros.co.uk
I only asked as the slatemc site originally said GC was dealing with UK distribution. Have a Demo booked for the week after next. Cannot wait!
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove ➑️
at times the tracks or waveforms would zoom instead depending on the selection mode. There are different touch gestures that work with it, just didn't find it 100% reliable.
Hi Raj! Glad you checked it out! Thanks for reporting back I appreciate it! You can customize the 'action' of the NAV pad in our new build (so you can customize the intensity of the zoom and scroll). Once you get used to it, it's really fast. I don't use any of the scrolls in PT anymore, and so far users have said that they get used to navigating with the PAD fairly quickly.. but customizing the 'action' will help too!

Quote:
Editing on the mix window with my finger was awesome. The vocal comping from the slate videos does seem like it can be that easy with some practice. I could really get used to that. Not sold on the automation drawing tho. It may be quicker but I think a mouse can still be more accurate.
Glad you dig the editing! We've had a lot of new users send us more MACRO pad workflows that are really cool.. we're gonna do another video on that subject alone. I draw with the mouse really poorly, but different strokes.

Quote:
The mix window overlay worked very well. I know that team slate is pushing you to touch everything but it was somewhat hit or miss on what was accessible by mouse when I found most stuff on the edit window mouse clickable. I could close an aux send window with the mouse, but not a plug in window. That had to be by touch or using the "close plug in window" button (which I think is dope). Please make one for the auxs.
Cool! We created the CLOSE PLUGIN window button so that you never have to hit the red X on a plugin and it works great. For the aux closing, the red X is easier and on a properly cal'd surface we've not had issues with it.

Quote:
I think they should add an option+click/touch to return the fader back to zero db. I could do it on the actual PT window, but it wouldn't work on the raven software overlay.
You just double tap the fader and it returns to zero!

Quote:
Fine fader mode is awesome.

Definitely +1 on them bringing the bank buttons back. The swipe to access other tracks seemed inconsistent. Even on the floating mixer, trying to access other tracks was difficult. Having to eyeball how many tracks it moved over versus how much I moved my finger was iffy. The floating mixer and the menu bar was really nice however.
Yup, bank buttons return in the build that will hopefully be out this week!

Quote:
The screen was susceptible to glare. I had to move one of the lights in the store that was making it hard to see. Was fine after that tho. It felt nice to the touch also.
Cool. Some minor adjustments of lights may be necessary, but hopefully not a big deal.

Quote:
One question I had that they couldn't answer was if I have my regular apple screen showing my edit window, and the MTI showing the mix but then switched to the edit window on it, how would that work? Would it become a mirroring thing or is the protools edit window a separate thing from the raven software window?
We'll have a dual RAVEN build that you'll be able to use with that, which will keep EDIT on one window and MIX on the other. It should be out very soon.

Quote:
Overall it's definitely a no brainer purchase at the price point. I think it would take me about a week to get used to where everything was at, but I can really see it speeding up my workflow once I get acclimated. Maybe santa will be nice and bring me one for christmas if the elves don't have it back ordered lol
Cool Raj! I hope Santa does bring you one!

One of my favorite new features of the upcoming builds is the multiple macros on one macro button. So for instance with the vocal comp, you'll be able to layer NEXT, SOLO, PLAY on one button so you can scroll through vocal takes even faster.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Please, Steven--support for Sonar X3!!! Pleeeeeeze!!!???

Don't know why Sonar doesn't get much love here: it's a great DAW. I'm in the market for a new Mackie Control + 2 Xtenders or better yet--Raven MTi
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
We'll have a dual RAVEN build that you'll be able to use with that, which will keep EDIT on one window and MIX on the other. It should be out very soon.
Can you explain a little more in depth how this will work in the new build? Does this only apply to two ravens, or a raven and a normal screen? If I have a regular cinema display monitor showing my edit screen and the mix window on the raven, and then hit the edit window button on the raven, what happens to the edit window on my cinema display? Thanks for the info!
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you explain a little more in depth how this will work in the new build? Does this only apply to two ravens, or a raven and a normal screen? If I have a regular cinema display monitor showing my edit screen and the mix window on the raven, and then hit the edit window button on the raven, what happens to the edit window on my cinema display? Thanks for the info!
With the upcoming dual RAVEN build, you'll be able to use the RAVEN with another RAVEN or another passive monitor, where one screen will be the MIX and the other EDIT. We don't yet have a "swap" feature, but I don't see why that wouldn't be possible in the future. I'll talk to the dev team

Cheers,
Steven
Old 16th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Swap feature for Raven plus one normal monitor would be extremely cool.
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had one of these guys on order for a while now in Australia. Still waiting, but hopefully soon I get my fingers working on it. Fly raven already...????
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Steven, this has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

I notice that the cursor/pointer arrow is always visible as you touch around the screen.
Is there a way to hide this? Say, it only becomes visible when you use your mouse/trackpad or other non-Raven pointing device again?

I imagine you won't see it all the time anyway since your finger/hand will be blocking the view but still I imagine it could be distracting and if there's a way to hide it I think it'll be worth looking into (as I Imagine you have).

Cheers from The Netherlands and I'm looking forward to trying one out some time!
Old 17th November 2013

🎧 10 years
Hi ufo, the curser now hides when you touch the raven faders. We'll have RAVENS in your region soon!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi ufo, the curser now hides when you touch the raven faders. We'll have RAVENS in your region soon!

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks for the reply Steven!
How about when editing plugins? same deal or different?
Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mediapros.co.uk

Planned in 2014.

Cheers,
Steven
2014 is a long year. Any better estimate than just 2014 for the PC version to be available?
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So I'm buying a new MacPro as soon as they are released. They don't have a DVI port, so how would I connect it? Has anyone tried it with an adaptor? I am seriously considering purchasing an MTI, but not without guarantees that it works on a new machine with Mavericks.
Old 21st November 2013

🎧 10 years
Yup there are adapters and they work great. Every Guitar Center has a dvi adapter for the Mac Mini that is connected to the MTi.

We have a great "New Features" video in the works for when we release our update. Can't wait for you guys to see!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Steven: I hope that is the case. I have read several places that the DVI to Thunderbolt adaptors are problematic. I started a thread here about it and many people said that the Apple ones did not work well. I did some research and there are many complaints about them. needless to say I will want to try it before I buy it.

is there other software drivers that need to be installed and are these tested in 64 bit Mavericks. nothing personal, but I am not willing to invest in something like this and end up waiting to use it. it's bad enough having to wait to be able to use your and others plugins that I own.
Old 22nd November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well I finally managed to have a proper play on my MTi last weekend. I'm using the MTi with a 6 Core Mac Pro and Pro Tools 10.3.7 HD Native. I haven't pulled the plug on PT 11HD yet as I'm waiting for some plugins to be AAX 64 bit with Slate plugins being one of them as I use them in every mix.

I first worked on building a simple music production on the MTi and then started a mix. All I can say is that the MTi is a complete joy to use and I have hardly touched the mouse which was my key objective when purchasing the MTi. It's so accurate and efficient that I'm now starting to enjoy working on a DAW controller again.

Everything is laid out the way in which I would want a DAW controller to be laid out. Editing on the MTi was a breeze and setting up my favourite Macro Commands really helped improve my workflow. Having the floating mixer is a real plus as I can ride faders and adjust pan settings on the fly whilst making refined edits in the edit window. The swipe group gesture is brilliant and so quick and easy to now create a group.

Working with plugins on the MTi is fantastic! I just can't wait for multi-touch plugins as I know this is going to be a real winner on the MTi. I also managed to do a bit of vocal comping and I must say that Slate's demo on how to best achieve this helped me greatly. So fast and efficient but also very accurate!

I will be putting the MTi through it's paces further this weekend so I'll hopefully be able to report further feedback. No doubt the new software features that Slate will be releasing soon for the Ravens will further add to my positive experiences.

Overall, so far so very good. It's still taking me a little time to adjust to the size of the MTi after having an extensive play on the MTX. I think that is where I eventually want to end up as I'm completely sold on this technology.

Thumbs up to the Slate Team!!!!
Old 22nd November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➑️
Steven: I hope that is the case. I have read several places that the DVI to Thunderbolt adaptors are problematic. I started a thread here about it and many people said that the Apple ones did not work well. I did some research and there are many complaints about them. needless to say I will want to try it before I buy it.

is there other software drivers that need to be installed and are these tested in 64 bit Mavericks. nothing personal, but I am not willing to invest in something like this and end up waiting to use it. it's bad enough having to wait to be able to use your and others plugins that I own.
Been using the MTi since release day on 3 different systems with TB->DVI adapters. No issues so far. If you get the apple adapter, you shouldn't have issues.
Old 23rd November 2013

🎧 10 years
MTi Users! Can't wait for you to get the new update.. it'll be out soon. The NAVPAD has a lot of improvements and now also has customizable intensities. We also fixed a bug where some parameters like plugin knobs have a little 'hop' when you remove your finger from the surface since the response is so sensitive that it tracks your exact finger release... well that is all fixed now too. The Macro Pad will now allow SERIES of macro commands on one button. You'll be able to show/hide Pro Tools track numbers and comments. Bank buttons are back. And more! Probably late next week.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 23rd November 2013

🎧 10 years
MTi Users! Can't wait for you to get the new update.. it'll be out soon. The NAVPAD has a lot of improvements and now also has customizable intensities. We also fixed a bug where some parameters like plugin knobs have a little 'hop' when you remove your finger from the surface since the response is so sensitive that it tracks your exact finger release... well that is all fixed now too. The Macro Pad will now allow SERIES of macro commands on one button. You'll be able to show/hide Pro Tools track numbers and comments. Bank buttons are back. And more! Probably late next week.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Define "soon"... Some of us are addicts over here that need our fix, baby...
Old 24th November 2013

🎧 10 years
Hi Matt! It's in internal beta and we're just fixing a few weird bugs, but definitely within the next 7 days. The improvements are pretty massive. The Navpad enhancements alone are really helpful!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th November 2013

🎧 10 years
Hi Matt! It's in internal beta and we're just fixing a few weird bugs, but definitely within the next 7 days. The improvements are pretty massive. The Navpad enhancements alone are really helpful!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I used to be a software tester back in the day wink wink nudge nudge. I write a mean bug report...
Old 25th November 2013
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone know the dimensions of the mti?
Old 25th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➑️
Anyone know the dimensions of the mti?
RAVEN MTi : Slate Pro Audio

Click on dimensions
Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bittman ➑️
Been using the MTi since release day on 3 different systems with TB->DVI adapters. No issues so far. If you get the apple adapter, you shouldn't have issues.
ThnX
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➑️
One thing that comes to mind, is how much easier on the eyes it is to look at real hardware. When looking at a screen it's easy to feel fatigue, but being in front of physical hardware seems more exciting.
I agree with these 2 sentences.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➑️
One thing that comes to mind, is how much easier on the eyes it is to look at real hardware. When looking at a screen it's easy to feel fatigue, but being in front of physical hardware seems more exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchannel9 ➑️
I agree with these 2 sentences.
I don't, as you would still have to look at the screen, when using Pro Tools (or any DAW) no matter how much (or little) of the hardware (desk, outboard) you use.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
MTi Users! Can't wait for you to get the new update...it'll be out soon...
When are you gonna write: Windows Users! Can't wait for you to get the Windows compatible MTi?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by migo ➑️
When are you gonna write: Windows Users! Can't wait for you to get the Windows compatible MTi?
He answered earlier in a post 2014 but that's 365 days. Like it a little closer than that. Is that possible Steve?
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yes Windows & Cubase news & I'm ready to buy !
πŸ“ Reply