The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➑️
This isn't about who makes more money.
This is about having the experience and background to back up statements about gear on a pro level.
But we're not talking about gear. We're talking about a piece of glass that we put our fingers on to control audio software.

There is absolutely no one on this thread that is an expert on whether or not this will be useful for all of us. It's an individual's choice.

BTW - I'm mixing a song today and I was thinking about this thread while I was riding my faders and it hit me what I require in a fader. Real or on a screen. I need to grab the fader, look away from the monitor that is showing fader movement and be 100% sure that when I move my finger up and down that it is moving perfectly evenly. This is the issue with a mouse. It tends to be very jerky and small moves can make big changes so you need to be looking. So, for me, the Raven would have to give me the ability to grab a fader and turn away and just ride without looking back.
Old 28th February 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Not only can you grab faders and look away with the RAVEN, but you can then put your hand wherever you want on the screen and it will still have hold.. and then you can grab another fader and still have access to the automation of the first.. video soon.. has to be seen!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th February 2013
I remember when the ipad came out people (including me) said "thats just a giant iphone that you cant put in your pocket or call people with"

So is this, but that makes it far from useless!

Would still really know how they physically connect to your computer though. It is doing audio as well as control, so is it all through usb or a combination of things?

Sent from my XOOM 2
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not only can you grab faders and look away with the RAVEN, but you can then put your hand wherever you want on the screen and it will still have hold.. and then you can grab another fader and still have access to the automation of the first.. video soon.. has to be seen!
Can't wait to see a video Steven - hopefully that can clear up some of the questions here
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only thing that still worries me is the sound reflected on the display that may lead to comb filtering. And you don't want that when mixing or mastering.
Old 28th February 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
The only thing that still worries me is the sound reflection on the screen that may lead to comb filtering. And you don't want that when mixing or mastering.
According to Steven, the 40 degree incline actually results in less comb filtering than a traditional console when you're in the "mix position."
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depends surely on how high you are seating when working. But also keep in mind that glass is way more reflective than plastic.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am really looking forward to seeing more information come through on MTI- been tempted by a controller for a long time and interested to see the features beyond just the faders. The touchscreen workflow will always suit some more than others (took me a long time to get over finger smudges on the ipad) but assuming the touch screen fader control works well its the broader software control and customisation I would like more details on, particularly related to pt. Find hui limitations put ma off nucleus and other solutions, hoping the raven finds ways around these limitations
Old 1st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️

Cheers,
Steven
Now THAT'S a great idea! Kudos!
Kenny's thoughts were exactly what myself and an engineer friend were talking about the other day. What a great feature!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Steve,

Congrats for this product, I'm sure you put a lot of work and energy. I have two questions ?

What do you think about the possibility that Apple, Microsoft or Samsung might release some 21", 24", 27" etc. tablets ?

And what about releasing an gesture API for DAW and plugin developers ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Depends surely on how high you are seating when working. But also keep in mind that glass is way more reflective than plastic.
Seems to me though that in even in most near field situations in anything close to the desired equilateral triangle the speakers would tend to be behind the monitor for it to be in arms reach, wouldn't they ? So sound would not really reflect off the glass face toward the listen position, as opposed to laying flat like a console and reflecting up towards the listener position.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well first of all the display surface is way bigger than that and you probably haven't accounted for the speaker dispersion angle. Although the higher frequencies will no doubt meet the listener's ears without bouncing of the display the lower you go down the frequency range the more dispersion you'll have. I would like to demo the unit. Sadly I'm not traveling in the near future and doubt there will be a distributor in my country although I'm hoping there will and am sure I could even talk one of the companies here to do that. Let me know if you are interested Steven
Gear Addict
Finally got the chance to put my hands on the Raven, both MTX and MTI.
Very well thoughts, I liked them a lot, and I'm seriously thinking of getting the MTI for my studio.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess you were at Alchemea. Any thoughts on responsiveness and other issues mentioned here before?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well first of all the display surface is way bigger than that and you probably haven't accounted for the speaker dispersion angle. Although the higher frequencies will no doubt meet the listener's ears without bouncing of the display the lower you go down the frequency range the more dispersion you'll have. I would like to demo the unit. Sadly I'm not traveling in the near future and doubt there will be a distributor in my country although I'm hoping there will and am sure I could even talk one of the companies here to do that. Let me know if you are interested Steven
Well it was just a quicky free hand sketch in Sketch UP, so the size could be slightly off. However to clarify , I was depicting the smaller 27" Slate unit and I just eyeballed my 27" Cinema Display and my monitor spks for reference. In which case the size and spacing is fairly close.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now your in my price range and footprint range.
I'm saving up, I likes!
Old 5th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Raven at musikmesse 2013?

Hi Steve,

Great new consoles! Can I try them out at the 2013 Musikmesse perhaps?

Cheers!

Dennis
Old 7th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Steven!

My questions for you about the MTI is:

1. What is the release date?

2. What are the dimensions?

3. What are the analog I/O specs?

4. Does it have Cue and Talkback?

5. Will this ship with a stand or will companies like Argosy make custom desks for these?
Old 8th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️

Cheers,
Steven
How's the video coming along, Steve?
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
no update?
Old 21st March 2013

🎧 10 years
Editing video now.. We'll have it out soon and another soon after just dedicated to the POST features.. It's pretty fun to do surround panning automation with your finger!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steven, when's the MTI coming out? Any rough release date?
We're looking at a new space right now and I have to make a decision on whether to get the MTI within a month, more than likely..
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As someone who was quite sceptical about the MTX, I have to admit to being very interested in the MTI, both in terms of it's footprint and it's pricing.

Proof is in the pudding of course, but I am interested for a few reasons.

1. I miss my old MCU - it broke and the BCF2000 replacement is ok but it's not really in the same ballpark. I had been holding off for someone to come out with a better controller, and still to this date there isn't much better than an MCU for Cubase at a decent price point. I had a play with Euphonix Artist but I didn't like it. Nucleus is way to expensive for what it is IMO, and there really isn't much else.

2. I had been looking at upgrading my monitoring path - new speakers, new DAC and replacing my Presonus Central Station; Options I was looking at are Dangerous, Cranesong Avocet and Coleman systems.

3. A bit like what Kenny mentioned, I have a real disconnect between moving between mouse and faders...it's not intuitive to me.

When pulling all these things together the MTI really ticks a fair few boxes, if not all of them.

If I was to buy a new MCU - that would be about Β£1k new maybe a bit less 2nd hand.
Cranesong Avocet is Β£2200 at cheapest i can find, Dangerous monitors that feature replace the Central Station are between 1k and 2k and the Coleman TB4 MKII is about 1k.

So for me, assuming the MTI comes in at about Β£3.5-4k, and it's monitor section is as good as Steven is professing (any details on DAC btw?), it is a pretty compelling alternative for me, based on price point alone.

Of course, I don't need to replace the central station, but for a hybrid setup, having everything in the 'Centrepiece' like the MTI makes sense to me.

People saying the MTI is a 3.5k mouse are missing a lot of the whole picture IMO. If plugin integration is as good as it could be via touch (Neyrinck for example), then plugin control will blow the MCU away as well, and I will be v happy (and will likely be able to get rid of my Novation Remote Zero with Automap, which has been great, but has stability issues).

I'll be following this thread closely over the next few months.
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Addict
As far as I know the MTI should be around Β£2300+VAT.
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As far as I know the MTI should be around Β£2300+VAT.
Even better!

I'm not fully sold on touch over tactile controls, but the MTI is looking like a great proposition as the centrepiece to a hybrid daw and certainly worth giving a chance.
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Strangest thing - picked up an MCUPro on Ebay this weekend for a real low price. If I say one thing about the Mackie MCU Pro, say it' got great build quality! Goddamn!

Still gonna be monitoring this thread and the MTI though!!
Old 28th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Steven, when's the MTI coming out? Any rough release date?
We're looking at a new space right now and I have to make a decision on whether to get the MTI within a month, more than likely..
Steven, is the MTI still in its development phase?
I'd just like to know if the product's out soon or not.
Thanks.
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Steven, is the MTI still in its development phase?
I'd just like to know if the product's out soon or not.
Thanks.
I'd like to know that too, and especially compatibility with PT 11.
Thanks !
Old 13th April 2013

🎧 10 years
Looking at a Summer release. Got some new RAVEN related news coming soon too!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quick question I didn't see answered:

How does it works when your not working in your Slate software?
Can i use multi touch with other software?

I'm really into the MTI... I feel it'll be a hit!
πŸ“ Reply