Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hardware Tom Oberheim Two Voice Pro

Tom Oberheim Two Voice Pro | Sweetwater.com

Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure its lovely but I don't think i'll be paying that for less than 4 voices
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
these dinosaur synth designers keep recycling the same old just to keep there retirement fund operational.

Cheers
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm buying one. I love the SEM sound. For years and years I thought it would be a Moog until I heard an SEM. A two-voice w/ built in sequencer is easily worth $3500 new to me. I would love a 4-voice, and maybe I can expand the two voice later on. Obviously there are downsides like no noise source, but it's got a decent patchbay so I can patch in eurorack modules.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➑️
these dinosaur synth designers keep recycling the same old just to keep there retirement fund operational.

Cheers
And?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And?

Retire.

Cheers
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pointless comment.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My local music store has been selling this synth for over 6 months.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't help but think he could really price them better. I know they are discreet and everything but it's so unaffordable - the 4 voice if it happens is just going to be absurd. Why don't they outsource the labour intensive part to asia so we can have the best of both worlds? I don't buy into the BS that americans can solder better than the Chinese.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's special about this to cost so much, just asking.... Is it in the quality of actually very expensive parts? Exclusive propretary parts... Or is it mostly arbitrary value due to nostalgia/name/scarcity of units?

Of course the moog voyager xl is also very expensive so I'm not being funny, just interested on ppl opinions/views.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sound. Nothing sounds like an Oberheim.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➑️

Cheers
I guess having to learn how to create sounds the old fashioned way might be a little above some people's head, but for those that want authentic patches, you can't model or sample them.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
I'm sure its lovely but I don't think i'll be paying that for less than 4 voices
After u listen to it, u will eat ur words back
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➑️
I can't help but think he could really price them better. I know they are discreet and everything but it's so unaffordable - the 4 voice if it happens is just going to be absurd. Why don't they outsource the labour intensive part to asia so we can have the best of both worlds? I don't buy into the BS that americans can solder better than the Chinese.
Because he wants his products with no compromize and many good musicians will aprishiate that.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I LOVE Oberheims , but whoa... mucho expensive for 2 voices...
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
but you're getting 2 SEMs, a keyboard and a sequencer for that price. If you're not interested in the sequencer and you have a cv converter, you can get two SEMs with just the CV panel for $1800 and be good to go.

Regards,
Frank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
and a 1-voice Voyager costs the same. this one has 2. looks great too.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Man those sounds are just incredible. The tone is so so Oberheimish. This is the retro model though but I am sure Tom will not cut corners like these other synth manufacturers.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amazing. I want one. Badly.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T ➑️
This demo tells you all you need to know about the 2 voice.

Those that think he is a retired designer trying to cash in are sadly mistaken. He is providing us with carefully crafted replicas of his original late seventies synths. And many of us are grateful for that as getting hold of the originals is difficult to do due to them being rare and costly.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm so glad they are coming out of retirement and glad they are trying to replicate their old models (most off them - tut tut Mr. Smith) They sound far better. Oh don't get me wrong I'm a big Oberheim fan - just not a very rich one! It's much worse being in the UK - over 20% more expensive with VAT, Import Duty & Shipping. I have an OB-8 and Arturia SEM but want an OB-X too.

Anyone have any demos of this 2 voice? What master controls do you get? Would be awesome if you could control everything like this so you could use it as a regular poly easily without matching up all the settings (Especially 4 voice)
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the day, when these were still in production, I always dreamed of having one of these and an eight voice as well, but I was still in high school and had no cash. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to buy brand new ones, I'm very happy Mr. Oberheim is back! There are so many examples of the beautiful sounds these instruments can make. Some great examples can be found on Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Witchita Falls" album, and on Lyle Mays' self titled first solo album.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➑️
Some great examples can be found on Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Witchita Falls" album, and on Lyle Mays' self titled first solo album.

+1
My 4-voice passion was fueled by Mr Mays' tones. I regret ever letting her go.

The first LM solo record is packed with OB goodness
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I hope he will sell tons of these and be able to fund and recreate a modern version of the Matrix-12, my dream machine. I'll forever regret selling my Xpander many years ago...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
Well, I hope he will sell tons of these and be able to fund and recreate a modern version of the Matrix-12, my dream machine. I'll forever regret selling my Xpander many years ago...

Oh man! A Matrix-12 remake! My ultimate dream machine! Tom, if you are reading this I've already started saving for my SOFV, I wouldn't mind saving more still to add a Matrix-12 to my list! I bet there are plenty of us old dinosaurs who didn't have jobs back in prehistoric days that are now gainfully employed and willing to purchase now.

Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Tom Oberheim himself said the 2 voice was his alltime favorite creation but I guess we all hope that the SOFV will actually happen and save our money for that model.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
TONE!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru
The sound reminds me of my Matrix a lot.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i used to have a SEM Pro...nice synth. not a two voice...but common it sounds amazing:

Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very sexy ...... but at the price (even if I could afford it!!) I think I'd be inclined to just get the SEM Pro
πŸ“ Reply