Quantcast
NAMM: Waves Audio and DiGiCo Announce New Partnership: DiGiGrid™ - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Waves Audio and DiGiCo Announce New Partnership: DiGiGrid™
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NAMM: Waves Audio and DiGiCo Announce New Partnership: DiGiGrid™

Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ahhh... what? Wow!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Now this is interesting!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
www.DiGiGrid.net

It's loading slowwwly
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A very similar vid that isn't Pro Tools specific...

Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
bye bye HD. this is looks incredible. wonder what the price point is.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This is an absolute waste of time. It all looks good and promising in the videos but history proves that proprietary hardware/software joint-ventures very rarely have more than a few short years of life before one or the other bails on the product leaving users out in the cold.

Waves couldn't even commit to their current Pro Tools DSP customers... How long do you think it will be before they bail on this?

What about the Waves APA DSP engine? Yeh, that didn't even last 3 years before they dropped it and it was their OWN product!

Waves track record is appalling with these types of things. Buyer beware.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yup count me out... the Waves APA hardware was a complete joke... never worked right and when Waves decided they could not make the thing work proper they kicked it out the door of a moving van at 80 MPH.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
APA was the first thing that sprang to my mind too.

Wouldn't touch this with a barge pole!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
kind of strange ...

I hope Waves and DigiCo/Soundtracs has to do the work to integrate ProTools, not the other way around !
Can't see the target audience …. ? Live-Recording ?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Duende, Creamware, Powercore...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sorry, as a Waves Platinum TDM owner and a HDX user, this doesn't make me happy. We didn't invest thousands of dollars into HDX so that we would have to buy more hardware to use Waves plugins. I'll pass, I've got plenty of better alternatives to the old Waves crap that I don't use any more…
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo ➡️
yup count me out... the Waves APA hardware was a complete joke... never worked right and when Waves decided they could not make the thing work proper they kicked it out the door of a moving van at 80 MPH.
Waves apparently decided to code for their own DSP system instead of AAX/AAX-DSP. Waves Soundgrid Live has been very successful over the past few years. APA was not a good thing but that was a long time ago.

Since Waves DigiGrid is going to give "Realtime Super Low Latency Mixing, Recording, and Monitoring For Pro Tools" it is an option for all of us HDX users who were concerned about Waves AAX-DSP in addition to the DSP card (UAD-2) users with native rigs.

Now we have to see what the price is...
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yep, this sucks! Just upgraded my Mercury TDM a year ago, on HDX.
Was hoping for aax. I'm picking up an Apollo monday morning to give that one a go.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherofninja ➡️
Yep, this sucks! Just upgraded my Mercury TDM a year ago, on HDX.
Was hoping for aax. I'm picking up an Apollo monday morning to give that one a go.
This product is supposed to support your Waves purchases and still use your HDX. It's pretty much like using an Apollo but not having to invest in the UA plugin platform...

Guess you could sell the HDX (card only) and use your PTHD license with the Apollo or even Digigrid for that matter.

Whoops!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/winte...e-support.html

Last edited by MacroMike; 24th January 2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Waves AAX Native
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What I don't get is they didn't seem to make a box that was DSP only. Only DSP with more audio ins and outs.

I don't need anymore of those. Aren't there a bunch of us like that at this point?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio ➡️
What I don't get is they didn't seem to make a box that was DSP only. Only DSP with more audio ins and outs.
From what I see on the site Waves is bypassing the need for AAX-DSP with the DigiGrid DLS which plugs right into the HDX/HD cards and "acts as a Pro Tools card" to allow plug-in processing. This DLS interface then connects to the usual Avid HD interfaces. This seems to take takes care of the latency.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry Waves, do your homework first: AAXDSP
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just saw they will support aax Native. Phew.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➡️
From what I see on the site Waves is bypassing the need for AAX-DSP with the DigiGrid DLS which plugs right into the HDX/HD cards and "acts as a Pro Tools card" to allow plug-in processing. This DLS interface then connects to the usual Avid HD interfaces. This seems to take takes care of the latency.
I see.

What about us Native guys? I use 3 ULN-8s and I'm not giving them up. I left the Avid DSP card boat several years ago.

I was hoping they had a box that simply helped with plug-in processing. That would sell well at the right price point IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➡️
APA was not a good thing but that was a long time ago.
what? ummm, i'll pass on the line of thinking. that's kinda like saying "My cousin Rico is a convicted felon.... but that was a long time ago. he's stopped hanging out at the school yards."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo ➡️
what? ummm, i'll pass on the line of thinking. that's kinda like saying "My cousin Rico is a convicted felon.... but that was a long time ago. he's stopped hanging out at the school yards."
No not really. Many companies put out redone products that failed at first attempt and made them work years later ie: UAD2 Satellite. UA's first attempt, years ago, was a disaster. Not saying DigiGrid is going to be a hit but it is a totally different product and design than APA.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
here's the difference.

UA KEPT the DSP format from day one. Waves did not.

UA developed software and OS updates on a very regular basis, Waves did not.

UA never abandoned DSP based technology, Waves did.

UA supplied great support when i had issues with my original UAD card and STILL does. Waves has shotty support at best and NEVER gave me a working solution for the APA 44 i bought years ago. I had to get a full refund several months after I bought it... several months of TRYING to get it to work.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I see.

What about us Native guys? I use 3 ULN-8s and I'm not giving them up. I left the Avid DSP card boat several years ago.

I was hoping they had a box that simply helped with plug-in processing. That would sell well at the right price point IMHO.
The new Waves AAX Native support and the DigiGrid DLS look like they your interested in...?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanaudio ➡️
This is an absolute waste of time. It all looks good and promising in the videos but history proves that proprietary hardware/software joint-ventures very rarely have more than a few short years of life before one or the other bails on the product leaving users out in the cold.

Waves couldn't even commit to their current Pro Tools DSP customers... How long do you think it will be before they bail on this?

What about the Waves APA DSP engine? Yeh, that didn't even last 3 years before they dropped it and it was their OWN product!

Waves track record is appalling with these types of things. Buyer beware.
agreed!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMike ➡️
The new Waves AAX Native support and the DigiGrid DLS look like they your interested in...?
I couldn't find info on the DLS, is that a box that is DSP with no I/O?

The thing that does intrigue me about this is that DigiCo is a really good company that makes great stuff. They aren't going anywhere. It makes sense for the 2 to collaborate since I know several Digico live guys who run Waves plugs through Mulrirack already.

If there was a box I could hook up to my PT machine that would take the DSP load off of my computer for running Waves plug I would buy it. The DigiCo marriage makes it more likely to work IMO.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Actualsizeaudio;8672627]I couldn't find info on the DLS, is that a box that is DSP with no I/O?

QUOTE]

Here's a link to the site, although it looks like an HD system of some sort is needed at this point... I wonder if it'll work with HDN.

DiGiGrid
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it's a joke. we didn't invest in hdx to not use its dsp...

nor am i buying extra hardware cause of some waves plugs i used to use...

aax-dsp code was officially stated as not too different from native, so where's the problem?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld ➡️
it's a joke. we didn't invest in hdx to not use its dsp...

nor am i buying extra hardware cause of some waves plugs i used to use...

aax-dsp code was officially stated as not too different from native, so where's the problem?
Good question.

I wonder if this is still part of the wait and see approach toward HDX coupled with any costs/fees associated with coding for AAX DSP.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I couldn't find info on the DLS, is that a box that is DSP with no I/O?
I found it.

Still a lot of questions to be answered. For instance, do plugs initiate in your inserts just as if they were native/AAX? Can I still use MioConsole along side one of these boxes?

I'm not going HDX, unless they allow me to use HDX processing, and NOT have an avid interface. I'm sure they are awesome, I just don't need one. I use my Metric Halo interfaces on location and in the studio. I do however miss the processing power of my HD Accel cards. I actually can get more plugs now than I ever could, but my system tends to react slower. It bothers me. Just not sure if these guys made a box that would suit my needs. Seems like maybe not. Time will tell (and a better website).
📝 Reply