Quantcast
NAMM: Waves Audio and DiGiCo Announce New Partnership: DiGiGrid™ - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Waves Audio and DiGiCo Announce New Partnership: DiGiGrid™
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➡️
I don't have time to read through all of this, but did anyone ask Waves about automating plugins? Seems the audio has to go out to their "emotion mixer" for processing, how is automation handled??
I wouldn't think you'd be able to automate if you use that mixer because it's all live, not time based. I'm also not excited about having to buy all my Waves plugins a 2nd time to be able to use this feature.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not buying this. A few colleagues at other facilities last night called this a dud as well. It's a nice try but waves only has about 4 plugins that can't be replaced and 2 of those are in Post. They have nothing that needs to be tracked through. Plus word is price is around $4000.

Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly ➡️
The IOS is an 10i/10o with 8 preamps that offers the processing and interfaces with your computer. Should be able to take care of the interface and DSP processing in one fell swoop

Don't think I've ever been able to use that term on GS before.

Fell swoop.
Just so everyone is aware. The soundgrid system is not a dsp system. SO the Digigrid is not a dsp system. They use Intel cpu's and regular off the shelf mobo's for their servers. So at best, what this is is a box with an integrated computer that is slaved to your DAW.
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightworker31 ➡️
Just so everyone is aware. The soundgrid system is not a dsp system. SO the Digigrid is not a dsp system. They use Intel cpu's and regular off the shelf mobo's for their servers. So at best, what this is is a box with an integrated computer that is slaved to your DAW.

they invested manpower to code for this system and tell us they can´t do AAX DSP, i´m out of the game...
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➡️
I don't have time to read through all of this, but did anyone ask Waves about automating plugins? Seems the audio has to go out to their "emotion mixer" for processing, how is automation handled??
The live version only does snapshot automation for now. The studio eMotion mixer will have better automation capability but its still in development. Also it was suggested that DigiGrid is a complimentary tool to use with your DAW and they think most people will prefer to automate in the DAW.

Currently this is a digital mixer with ethernet i/o that can break out into analogue or Digi ports for connection to older HD interfaces etc. The digital mixer is designed in conjunction with Waves and will have Waves and apparently Plugin Alliance (Brainworx) plugins available.

You can only have one server box currently (which seems to be Intel cpu based networked PCs) and you can breakout from there to an as of yet unspecified number of i/o boxes. However they were sure that you could daisy chain 2 boxes per ethernet port. Seeing as though there are 4 ports on a server, you could have 8 i/o breakouts (possibly more).

I think it looks useful for post when you could have a PT machine feeding into the grid as well as a Nuendo rig. It effectively looks to replace something like a system5 at that point minus the control surface.

There is HUI implementation to use control surfaces but it wasn't working properly yet...

-T
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Begorrah, this is a terrible idea!

The only audience I can see for this is live sound, if it can be seamlessly integrated with and controlled by a DigiCo console.

But for anyone running a DAW, such as PTHD, in a recording studio? You'd have to be out of your mind.

Hey Waves, here's four grand of my money, please ****e all over my workflow and ergonomics. Thank you.

No thanks.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
.... I dig it....

Seems to combine the real time DSP of Apollo, and they audio over ethernet of Focusrite Rednet. Plus will let me work with Native only when I am away from the studio.

If they can work in utilising the DSP inside of Pro Tools (like APA apparently did.. never used it) , and maybe have a monitor only DSP mode like Apollo, I think it is a winner.

I understand why the HDX guys are pissed though.

I wonder who might also jump on the bandwagon...?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust ➡️
.... I dig it....

Seems to combine the real time DSP of Apollo, and they audio over ethernet of Focusrite Rednet. Plus will let me work with Native only when I am away from the studio.

If they can work in utilising the DSP inside of Pro Tools (like APA apparently did.. never used it) , and maybe have a monitor only DSP mode like Apollo, I think it is a winner.

I understand why the HDX guys are pissed though.

I wonder who might also jump on the bandwagon...?
I agree. I feel there is still a huge lack of info around this family of products. I am going to hit my guy up at waves about it. If it does in fact allow you to use DSP powered plugins within the DAW and not change your workflow then this would be awesome for non Pro Tools HD users. It would even the playing field for other DAWs. Especially since they announced the API for other plugin manufacturers to make plugs for the platform.

I have Pro Tools HD and I use it less and less everyday now that computers are so much more powerful. I mainly use it for clients who just demand to work in Pro Tools for no apparent reason just because they heard it was the cool thing to do. And before I get bashed by all the HDX owners I welcome having options. Right now their is nothing that goes up head to head with an HDX in terms of what it does, so I hope this is a start. And I hope waves is successful with it despite their APA disappointment. I would like to find out more info on it before I read anymore bashing of this product.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
One other thing. I am also still waiting on the AAX DSP version of Waves. I feel they should have did this a long time ago. And I think that if this DigiGrid stuff is good and will allow DSP inside the DAW that there is still room and a market for both Waves AAX DSP and DigiGrid to live.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecaudio ➡️
One other thing. I am also still waiting on the AAX DSP version of Waves. I feel they should have did this a long time ago. And I think that if this DigiGrid stuff is good and will allow DSP inside the DAW that there is still room and a market for both Waves AAX DSP and DigiGrid to live.
Waves has stated many times they are not doing AAX-DSP. Let's see if the fate of DigiGrid changes or enforces that.
Old 25th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think its a good alternative especially if there's not going to be waves aax dsp support for hdx users. Also a great alternative for protools native users along with other non-dsp daw's. I also understand the frustration of hdx users but its nice to see that there are other alternatives.
Old 24th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
There is so much confusion here. I could do a much better job advertising the capability here. The last thing you want to do, is leave the customer confused. Do these DSP boxes go between HD Native PCIE cards and HDIO interfaces? How does digigrid mate with old digidesign interfaces and HD interefaces, the connectors are different. The block diagrams they provide are a joke. Also, i saw the Waves DigiGrid Mercury bundle plugins cost ~$14,000. But the TDM licenses are converted to DigiGrid licesnes free of charge. So you might want to make the jump now to TDM, while is Mercury Mayhem is going on in May!
Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If anyone thinks the new Digigrid stuff is a waste or whatever, that's ok. Everyone has their reasons, and applications where it may totally be unfit.......but me, I am excited for it!

I hope the price for the IOS is $4,000 or under because that would be a good value imo for what you get. I've been waiting a long while for an external hardware piece that would run plugins with usable latency. Throw that in with the emotion mixer and you have a full functioning professional live sound console without the surface. Everyone I know on the Venue consoles are using Waves plugins 80% of the time anyways and I imagine this will have lower latency than those running on the Avid consoles!!! Full functioning i/o direct into your live rig, protools... recording, live assist, virtual soundcheck, all of the above running off the same or different networked computers. I think it's great. I can understand some of the complaints, but my view is from an engineer who does live and studio work. I've been waiting and doing weird live/studio setups for a while trying to bridge the two worlds and this is almost exactly what I've been waiting for. Throw in a dedicated fader pack that can be networked anywhere and that would be awesome. I hope the HUI control works well.

To Digigrid:

-Please oh please get Soundtoys to be a 3rd party plugin for the emotion mixer!!!!!! Or make a plugin/insert that allows 3rd party plugins to be jacked in?
-optional fader pack w/some encoders or supported 3rd parties
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i don't get it ? why would we have to need a 3rd application and don't use daw mixing view ?

DSP : the choice of intel is great .
Internet : great choice (he's using an dell XPS laptop ,)
for those that have a mac pro and don't want to get the new one , i see and advantgae , but seriouslsy waves plugins are real light on cpu , unless the start to make super cpu heavy , i don't get it ,

for live ok ..
for recording processing (also i don't get it , recording with plugin on ? come on)
For latency ?

can somebody enlight my poor person ?
Old 27th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

I think this is great Technology. It seems that Waves have covered all the basis with DIGIGRID.. Can, this be done today with multi daws and a VE Pro via Ethernet? Yes.. But, VE Pro requires some knowledge of TCP/IP networking..

This looks to be a bit more eloquent..

Impressed..
📝 Reply