Quantcast
NAMM: Waves Audio Announces AAX Native Support - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Waves Audio Announces AAX Native Support
Old 24th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Software NAMM: Waves Audio Announces AAX Native Support

In response to user requests, Waves Audio (booth 6824) announces support for the AAX Native plugin platform. Waves has always strived to support as many plugin platforms as possible, including VST, RTAS, TDM, AudioUnits and others. With this new development, Waves plugins now support the AAX platform, used by Avid HDX systems.

β€œAAX Native support has been a frequent suggestion from users,” Gilad Keren, Waves CEO and co-founder. β€œWe are happy to respond to market demand with this new compatibility.”

Ed Gray, Director of Partnering Programs for Avid remarks, "Waves’ arrival onto the AAX platform with its AAX Native plug-ins is great news for our mutual users of Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools HDX. The range and quality of processors offered by Waves remains superior, and AAX compatibility will make Waves plug-ins an obvious addition to new and upgraded Pro Tools systems. We are grateful for this support."

Visit Audio Plugins for Mixing, Mastering & Recording | Waves for more information.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sweet!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow no DSP!
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Waves plugins now support the AAX platform, used by Avid HDX systems.
AAX is used by any ProTools10. If Waves speaks about HDX i may expect AAXDSP.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Actually, an HDX system uses aax native plugs as well..
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

It's completely speculative at this point, but didn't I read somewhere that one of the benefits of AAX is that it's relatively easy to code for DSP once the initial port is complete? If that's in fact true, then perhaps we'll see DSP plugs further down the line?

I suppose if the demand presents itself, Waves is always free to consider all options.

Chris
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dave from DMG blogged about some of the issues with porting plugins to AAX DSP that I found interesting and even though it's talking about his plugins I thought it shed some light on the process some developers might be facing

DMGAudio Dev Blog
Old 25th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Actually, an HDX system uses aax native plugs as well..
Yup,

And Actually running a Pro Tools HDX system allows for more native processing potential, because the entire PT rig is cooking gas on the card, and not the host.

I'm happy to put these RTAS cartoons out to pasture
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Good to see the Waves AAX shoe dropping. I can't count how many people have asked me when this was happening.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➑️
Dave from DMG blogged about some of the issues with porting plugins to AAX DSP that I found interesting and even though it's talking about his plugins I thought it shed some light on the process some developers might be facing

DMGAudio Dev Blog
That is interesting. The good news, if you read to the bottom of his comments, it appears that he found the solution to his problem and perhaps it wasn't as complicated as he initially thought?

Chris
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've also heard (first hand accounts) that once you code one AAX, it gets easier to do the others.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I guess Waves is 'worried' about Avid creating their own competing AAX plugins!

After Massey announced AAX last week, I became less worried about the format. If Avid were remotely intelligent, they'd announce VST support for PT XI or whatever it will be called when it is announced in 2016.

-D
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 ➑️
Wow no DSP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️

And Actually running a Pro Tools HDX system allows for more native processing potential, because the entire PT rig is cooking gas on the card, and not the host.

I'm happy to put these RTAS cartoons out to pasture
But aren't we just running the same thing as an HD Native system if we use HDX with all Native plugins?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
But aren't we just running the same thing as an HD Native system if we use HDX with all Native plugins?
Right. That Ed Gray from Avid mentioned HDX in his comments is a bit confusing. AAX Native plug-ins miss one of the main points of HDX systems: the ultra-low latency.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Kinda... I think Roc's point (and one I've made as well) is that any Native/CPU power used to do the routing/mixing/tracks, etc. in Pro Tools Native is freed up by the HDX card thus giving you more CPU for plugins since it isn't being used for the other tasks.

100% sure that's not worth the $3-4k though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairl ➑️
Right. That Ed Gray from Avid mentioned HDX in his comments is a bit confusing. AAX Native plug-ins miss one of the main points of HDX systems: the ultra-low latency.
The plugins themselves aren't more latent in native. The system most likely is but not the plugins.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Exactly. Somewhat dissatisfied by this "big AAX news" from Waves, they tease their customers the way a cat plays with a mouse.

Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC ➑️
The plugins themselves aren't more latent in native. The system most likely is but not the plugins.
Right. The HDX system definitely has lower latency than native systems (0.07 ms). The system, in combination with AAX-DSP plug-ins, allows for such low latency that plug-ins can be used to monitor while recording with huge track counts, the buffer never has to be increased, and "zero latency" monitoring solutions are not needed. This is one of the reasons people choose to purchase HDX systems.

For an Avid rep to mention HDX systems while praising Waves' AAX native announcement is confusing. This Waves announcement does nothing special for HDX users.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
DSP or GTFO! That's the whole point of AAX as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise it's just another version of RTAS.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think if Avid was smart (they are not) they would have "underwritten" some of the AAX DSP coding to get it going.

THEY made a decision to change a long established plugin format and thrust that decision on 3rd party developers who, lets be honest, make up nearly ALL the plugins for Pro Tools and who are often small operations (regardless of how big they appear on the web!) who have limited resources and who's time is occupied developing and updating and supporting multiple formats on multiple DAWs on a couple of platforms (both 32 and 64 bit) in a world where powerful computers have rendered the need for DSP mostly unnecessary for all but large power users/post!

Keeping in mind as well that NOBODY wants to pay for anything anymore. If Slate (as an example) said, hey we're releasing VTM for DSP but it'll be priced a TDM like $995 for all users - even current owners - people would go sideways.

If avid paid for, split the cost, whatever for a few of the bigger, more popular bundles to be converted to DSP then others would be forced in to doing it... as the market/economy is now If I owned a plugin company I don't think I would do AAX DSP either... And I am a 100% dedicated user, defender and supporter of Pro Tools)
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves has another problem - they've created so many shades of each product and the number of people running cracked Waves bundles mean that updating to any new standard is costly, and they don't have as much cash flow to do it.

As for their partnership announcement on hardware, I'd hold off given how quickly they dropped the APA platform and that was theirs alone.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Waves,

Since AAX DSP is not going to happen, will I get my money back of the difference I paid to have a (DSP) Mercury TDM bundle instead of the Mercury Native bundle????
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoApolonia ➑️
Waves,

Since AAX DSP is not going to happen, will I get my money back of the difference I paid to have a (DSP) Mercury TDM bundle instead of the Mercury Native bundle????
Why would they do that?

You bought it to use with TDM. No future anything was implied or promised.

Most companies are charging for crossgrades from TDM to AAX DSP, where they do it anyway. It's a different product.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Kenny,

nah, its not the same. Its a Pro Tools HDX system.
Most people are not aware that HDX actually gives you more Native Power than an HD Native system does.

And who says your going to use all Native Plugs with HDX?

I would think that with all the DSP AAX plugs out there, with more and more being added every day, it would be silly to not take advantage of both the Native and DSP power these systems offer.

At the end of the day, you should all speak with your wallets. If you think Waves has screwed you out of something, then sell them off, and do not support their company. Buy another product.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

No Kenny in fact it is far worse to run native Axx on an hdx system ...one simple fact you lose voice count. Just like you did on a tdm system with a native plugin... So you have to plan out your plugin order so you don't eat up a ton of voices
Running hd native there is no voice count loose its one to one

I have both systems hd native and hdx I use hdx everyday. But the single most important reason ... Almost no latency. Otherwise I think HD native on
a fast machine has an edge

Cheers
Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️

At the end of the day, you should all speak with your wallets. If you think Waves has screwed you out of something, then sell them off, and do not support their company. Buy another product.

Man! It seems you can read my mind, amazing!

Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito ➑️
No Kenny in fact it is far worse to run native Axx on an hdx system ...one simple fact you lose voice count. Just like you did on a tdm system with a native plugin...
This may not be the case with the next version of Pro Tools that doesn't need to be compatible with TDM. I think the jury's out on all of this until we see 64 bit Pro Tools.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➑️
Why would they do that?

You bought it to use with TDM. No future anything was implied or promised.

Most companies are charging for crossgrades from TDM to AAX DSP, where they do it anyway. It's a different product.
Of course they never promised to update to AAX-DSP, nor AAX Native.
So they could've just drop AAX completely and nobody should complaint

They would do that because I pay the WUP every year to have all my plugins compatible as they state in their WUP description:

"With Waves Update Plan:
You Have Complete Compatibility
You get the latest Waves versions, which means total compatibility with all major
audio hosts and operating systems."

And I bought a special TDM version to run on Avid DSP cards that Waves sells for almost double the price than Native versions, so I wasn't expecting that they would ignore that.

But to be honest, about 1 month ago I was informed that there wouldn't be any AAX-DSP versions so after I bought an HDX2 I bought an UAD Octo Ultimate.

The UAD seems to me like the natural step for who wants quality plugins with proprietary DSP processing.
And for now I trust them more than Waves.

Waves has fallen way behind UAD, and now instead of investing in their loyal customers they are trying to get on the same boat as UAD with DSP cards, but it's too late IMO.

Looking at UAD catalog and Waves catalog, if you had to chose only one, which would you choose?

For me it's easy...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoApolonia ➑️
Looking at UAD catalog and Waves catalog, if you had to chose only one, which would you choose?

For me it's easy...
Neither.
McDSP
SoundToys
Softube
PSP
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted 9173ceb
Rather than blaming Waves, you should be blaming Avid for creating another format again. How many of them do we need ?

I 100% agree with this blog post by the way. This is the real problem here !
πŸ“ Reply