Quantcast
NAMM: Waves Manny Marroquin Sig. Series Collection Available Now. - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Waves Manny Marroquin Sig. Series Collection Available Now.
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan West ➡️
Hi all,
As I read through this thread, I was wondering what some of you might consider "breaking new ground" in terms of sonics and as relates to plugin development. What would you like to see happen? Combinations? Completely new sonic ideas? As someone who works closely with a few big name developers I'd really be curious to know what you all are looking for. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!
Without hijacking the thread too much I suppose what I was asking was are there any new processes that are being worked on and developed to take things to the next level in terms of the way plugins are designed from the ground up?

I'm not a developer so I can't comment with any depth of knowledge only what I study and compare against other plugins I've read that do suggest they are on the next level sonically. For example Portico plugs, various Nebula as well testing plugins against established hardware.

Compression and reverb are two areas that many myself included find to be lacking in plugs. I've spent many an afternoon running various mixes and tracks through plugs like CLA 1176, V-series, etc then comparing the same through my hardware. They sound good and do a job but it's not as good, the compression doesn't feel like it's become part of the signal more layered on top albeit in a somewhat pleasant way. The same is true with plugin reverbs vs Bricasti, etc.

So have we reached an end of sorts with Waves? Is the actual way plugins are designed finished here and we're only going to be receiving ever more elaborate combinations of existing technologies or are there new advances to be made in how plugins fundamentally deal with signal processing? Will we have plugins that not only sound completely indistinguishable to famous tried and true hardware units like the 1176 and behave like it at extreme settings but also maybe go beyond it?
Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
New technologies being used, for sure

Anybody who tries this set of plugins will quickly realize that they're indeed NEW in most ways.

First of all, I think it's safe to say that the reverb isn't the only plugin that uses some kind of convolution to get the desired result. I'm fairly sure that the parallel multiband compressor (the "Tone shaper") does too.

The results are exquisite, really. The EQ is really extremely sweet, on par with the filters of the REDD console plugin, but with a way more broad utility (plenty bands and adjustments).Try boosting all the way with the 25Khz cutoff, sounds real nice and smooth. The reverb is also wonderful and quick to dial in not only great realistic spaces, but also quirky creative spaces.

The delay and the distortion box are also really great additions.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased. This is head and shoulders above any previous Signature series. Actually, until now, I liked only the Maserati one and a select few processors from Kramer (Meuh at the CLA and JJP, but only because I'm not diggin' their sonic world, not that they're bad).

But this one feels like an extremely useful tool for mixing anything. It's VERY flexible.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nept ➡️
And that's exactly what I'd expect from a waves signature series bundle. Well definied tweakable effect that have their own sound, their own life, character.
Agreed.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco ➡️
For 300$ no thank's
6 different rever with 3 room each : no thks ?

Bircasti and lex 480 in it : no thks ?

i would like to know witch reverb you already got ......
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
6 different rever with 3 room each : no thks ?

Bircasti and lex 480 in it : no thks ?

i would like to know witch reverb you already got ......
Valhalla vintageverb, 50$
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus ➡️
Anybody who tries this set of plugins will quickly realize that they're indeed NEW in most ways.
They are new in the sense that this combination has never come out yet but they're also not new in the sense that it's built and derived from existing technology and methods.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also do like the fact that it's not "instrument oriented". Makes lot more sense to me.

Can't wait to try these, especially the EQ which select the best sounding bands from his 6 hardware versions.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
K-Slash, you're going to love the EQ, no doubt.

I was sceptic too. As I said, the Maserati was the only Signature bundle I was feeling. But this is instant buy.

The results you can get from combining this with NLS and REDD... OH MY !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus ➡️
K-Slash, you're going to love the EQ, no doubt.

I was sceptic too. As I said, the Maserati was the only Signature bundle I was feeling. But this is instant buy.

The results you can get from combining this with NLS and REDD... OH MY !
Sounds like tomorrow is gonna be fun for me heh !

Any more opinions about the EQ ?By the way, is it just curves modeling, or does it has a character (harmonic distortion or else) ?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Sounds like tomorrow is gonna be fun for me heh !

Any more opinions about the EQ ?By the way, is it just curves modeling, or does it has a character (harmonic distortion or else) ?
It's another eq

frankly, there's some cool stuff in this bundle, but i'll never spend 300$ for things i can already do with the stuff i have
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan West ➡️
Hi all,
As I read through this thread, I was wondering what some of you might consider "breaking new ground" in terms of sonics and as relates to plugin development. What would you like to see happen? Combinations? Completely new sonic ideas? As someone who works closely with a few big name developers I'd really be curious to know what you all are looking for. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!
I guess there's two thing's we'd consider "breaking new ground". First and foremost it would be obviously an exact plugin replica of an analogue unit. I think everyone here agrees this didn't happen yet. Sometimes I wonder weather it's due to the lack of processing power or due to the lack of mathematical concepts to make this happen. Anyways, probably it's a question of time (and maybe quantum computing?) to make this happen. Sometimes I wonder if it's not just the tiny headroom in the digital domain that is to blame? It would be cool, if you could share your point of view about why it didn't happen yet.

Where else we'd like to see you guys "breaking new ground" is hard to say. I can give you feedback to every plugin I own, from sound to feature set to gui. But I can't say what I'd like to see invented. The SPL transient designer afaik was one of the last analogue units that was breaking new ground for example. But we didn't know it was possible and nobody really asked for it. Anyways transient designers are a useful tool and used a lot these days. Convolution reverbs are a good example as well. Few here probably knew there was a mathematical concept called "convolution" and even fewer knew that it could be exploited to simultate real acoustics. Now we use it happily.

So after all it's either reinventing the wheel, come up with a new effect, a new concept, something that's compeltely different or ideally even better than anything we've heard before. Or it's finally truely and perfectly emulating analogue electronics or even acoustics.

If you'd ask me, what I want right now, I'd say a big badass ssl desk. But if you come up with a plug that sounds better than anything I've heard before, I might want that instead. It'll be probably cheaper anyways.

And after all, everything that, to quote tony belmont "makes my job getting a great sound easier", is much appreciated.
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Valhalla vintageverb, 50$
lol good choice : same price here ...300/6 : 50

So we have an eq , several reverb , a multiband parallel comp, a desser , de harsher and de boxer , drive unit and a GREAT delay ....

Dude just find a good bundle like that ....for 50$ each
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's another eq

frankly, there's some cool stuff in this bundle, but i'll never spend 300$ for things i can already do with the stuff i have
So leave it there,

or, you download the Trial and try it out and then make your comments ...

G
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd like to see software do it's job as well as hardware before demanding "ground breaking" plug ins. A plug that gave back to me what my 1073 gives me would be ground breaking. Then, whatever innovative process Waves or anybody else concocted would not only be innovative, but sound superb as well. I get the feeling some people are calling for innovation because they're losing hope in plugs equaling hardware.

In the meantime, I welcome the incremental steps in quality married with improved workflow. I also welcome the tool set philosophy Manny set out in this collection. I like most of the other signature series, but they tend to be great at achieving a specific sound which limits their usefulness.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just Downloaded the demo and started to play with the EQ plug in a session I tracked yesterday.

Gotta say, I'm shocked. This EQ makes my job easier. I have the Classic Studio Collection Bundle, and yes, I could recreate this EQ with using certain eq settings of the Neve, API and SSL on a single track. With this EQ plug, you get the best of all worlds in one single plug. Gotta say, In a matter of seconds I had the track properly EQed.

Just the EQ is worth the price to me. I would recommend demoing it!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

so i guess you don't know valhalla vintageverb.
-9 different verb
-3 different color 1970s-1980-present
and i wont mention all the tweeking and other stuff.

50/9 : 5.5$
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of all of the signature plugs, this looks to me to be the most interesting. Some very cool combinations/ideas....attack/release on the distortion, parallel multi-band compression...definitely gonna try this.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

So we have an eq , several reverb , a multiband parallel comp, a desser , de harsher and de boxer , drive unit and a GREAT delay ....

Dude just find a good bundle like that ....for 50$ each
And I've seen it online for less which makes them around $35.00 a piece.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon ➡️
So leave it there,

or, you download the Trial and try it out and then make your comments ...

G
It's a praise thread or what? i've got it install and been tweaking it 10 minutes after it's release.
i'm i allow to say that i won't pay 300$ for it now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's a praise thread or what? i've got it install and been tweaking it 10 minutes after it's release.
i'm i allow to say that i won't pay 300$ for it now?
It's a thread about a product you seem to have no interest in and have dismissed as too expensive.

Yet you continue to post in the thread rather than moving on to other things that you are interested in.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb ➡️
It's a thread about a product you seem to have no interest in and have dismissed as too expensive.

Yet you continue to post in the thread rather than moving on to other things that you are interested in.
so we are only allow to say how great it is and how the price is right?

i've been waiting for this bundle since the beginning. Mainly for the reverb and the delay plugin. I find them quite good but again, (I) won't spend 300$ on it.
maybe in 3 months, when they'll sail it for half the price
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Personally i really like the Artist series stuff....even though i don't always use them...but when i feel stuck they get me going.
Huge Waves fan ever since the R Comp..and i like what i see of Manny.

Just got them!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When Waves first released the Signature plugins, I talked with a sales rep, who explained to me that Waves models both the hardware and software of the person's entire chain.

So in each collection, it does involve doing things that they haven't done before, and it is new technology.

I have a hunch that eventually some of this modeling could be released as separate products, perhaps after a certain amount of time has passed and licensing agreements have expired.

But it's definitely not just repackaging of existing plugins.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➡️
But it's definitely not just repackaging of existing plugins.
Unless the guy is using the Ren stuff and L2 all over his mixes heh
A.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The most important thing to my eyes ( ears) is that with the signature series as well as models , the beta tester are nothingbut exellent enginneeer ..this alone is priceless ...also we can see that they're really passionnate about their thing so at the end it delivers some really great sonic flavor !!

@ pedro

taken from the waves website :"“For my Reverb plugin, we modeled the very best reverbs in my room, 18 of my favorites: Six different reverbs, with three different room sizes for each."

the ergonomy alone i this reverb is just what i wanted since a long time ...quick , fast easy and great sounds with extra (comp , sat ect ....) if the had put a stereo imager i would have been in heaven ..

the only thing that i don't like (if some can confirm) is that as this is a convo verb , tweaking parameter kinda bypass the fx during the tweaking time ...
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
oh yeah by the way the price is around 229 $ and even less ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➡️

I have a hunch that eventually some of this modeling could be released as separate products, perhaps after a certain amount of time has passed and licensing agreements have expired.
This has happened before - specifically with Eddie Kramer's favorite signal chains. (ie, being separated/unbundled from the "artist plugin" into completely different tapes and tubes plugs.)

Back to the discussion of Manny Sign. Series...

WELL DONE! I can't find any reason why someone would actually complain that all of this is available for only $250-ish. People like that are, for the most part, contrarians.. and won't like anything - just for the sake of being a snoot. (eg, "doesn't sound 'analog' enough"; "I like my vintage one-of-kind you'll-never-afford-it preamp/eq combo better" ...etc. etc.)

Thanks Waves! You've made my job so much easier over the years - this release makes it that much more. And fun, too!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 ➡️

WELL DONE! I can't find any reason why someone would actually complain that all of this is available for only $250-ish. People like that are, for the most part, contrarians.. and won't like anything - just for the sake of being a snoot. (eg, "doesn't sound 'analog' enough"; "I like my vintage one-of-kind you'll-never-afford-it preamp/eq combo better" ...etc. etc.)
it's not 250-ish it's 300$ and if i didn't like waves i wouldn't have 95% of their plugins. It's funny how people are assuming all kinds of things like just because you said that you felt it was not cheap

i spent a couple of hour with this biundle and for me too i feel it's by far the most useful of the serie. The eq is really good too, not really precise but a great eq for boosting.
i probably buy it when it goes on sale just like the redd
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
i probably buy it when it goes on sale just like the redd
I think you have already made your point. Now move on.

Btw ...
You can get this bundle for $ 210.- Just look around.

G
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think the Distortion, Tone Shaper and EQ are fantastic! The rest, I don´t know... The reverb seem´s to be IR with additional fx, it´s not that no one ever did that on an aux, and it doesnt blow me away sound wise (Phaser?).

I like H-Delay better than the MM delay, the Triple-D might be useful, but I need more time with it to know...

Looks are disturbing as always with the signitiure stuff still much better than the Masarati plugs.

I´ve seen the bundle for 210 USD, so I´ll prabably grab them...

📝 Reply