Quantcast
UAD:New Apollo Software Delivers Multi-Unit Cascading & Console Software Enhancements - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD:New Apollo Software Delivers Multi-Unit Cascading & Console Software Enhancements
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
UAD:New Apollo Software Delivers Multi-Unit Cascading & Console Software Enhancements

https://www.uaudio.com/index.php/pre.../apollo-system

Better!?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Attached Thumbnails
UAD:New Apollo Software Delivers Multi-Unit Cascading & Console Software Enhancements-apollo-mix-merge-console.jpg  
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So if I have two appollos, can I make use of all 8 chips? Giving me like, a ton of processing power?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IF they have eliminated the routing issues and the performance with 2 apollos linked is solid then this will be a nice setup.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin ➑️
IF they have eliminated the routing issues and the performance with 2 apollos linked is solid then this will be a nice setup.
This press release gives very little away! I'm dying to know more, and also when?!

I'm hoping for -

Any input to any output with FX intact. (I/O matrix) ideally with per track switches for FX printing / monitoring as opposed to global.

Scribble strips (please please!!!)

Low latency monitoring working in Pro Tools when monitoring through different outputs (mixing board workflow). It currently works only if you monitor through outputs 1-2 (mon). Otherwise you have to use 'mute tone' plugin in Pro Tools which is far from ideal.

Pre/post fader sends

Option for auxes to time aligned in phase with master outs instead of the 32samples late they currently are.

Saving FX chains and ability to drag-copy inserts.

Anything else is a bonus!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone know if you need the thunderbolt card on both apollos if you want to chain them ? Thats a biggie for me, otherwise thats an extra grand.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➑️
So if I have two appollos, can I make use of all 8 chips? Giving me like, a ton of processing power?

Yes, yes you could.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Stasik ➑️
Does anyone know if you need the thunderbolt card on both apollos if you want to chain them ? Thats a biggie for me, otherwise thats an extra grand.
From what it says in press release, you don't... will work over firewire, but just noticed it says for release first half of 2013

Also doesn't look like the routing options have changed... two aux sends?
So not much to see here...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Kinda vague. The only improvements they mention are these:

"The boost in Apollo connectivity is navigated via a redesigned Console application, offering better visual feedback, a new Mix-Merge mode, and a Pro Tools mode which greatly simplifies integration with Pro Tools systems"

My guess would be they haven't solved the routing issues.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I as well really hope the routing has gotten better, and for heavens sake, please let me rename channels on the console, not being able to do that is just silly.

P.S. I really hope "first half 2013" means feb 1st
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
2x FW or Tbolt

so if you can run two together you will have one gui so all the chips of the combined apollos will be online like a a chip farm, but if you are running fw you have all those chips in 1 fw pipe or if you are tbolted you have all those chips running in two fw pipes better and the data in one stream and the rest in another stream.

it will e good to get clarification about what the merge function and improved Pt functionality really means?

kcat
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm guess PT mode sorts out the weird monitoring issue with PT.
Can't say I'm excited about slaving two Apollo's = paying for 4 more pre's and 2 more headphone outs I don't need.
A stripped back Apollo Expander with 8 ch AD/DA and more DSP would be nice though.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice... Love Namm now!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
A stripped back Apollo Expander with 8 ch AD/DA and more DSP would be nice though.
+1 !
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm also wondering whether these units will need to both be clocked if clocked to an external clock - I'm clocking a Motu 828 and a apollo From a Burl b2 which only has two word clock outputs.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Can somebody ask UAD when they are going to release Native versions of their plugins?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They never will.

Would completely defeat the purpose of the platform. Especially on the Apollo.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle ➑️
Can somebody ask UAD when they are going to release Native versions of their plugins?
Most UAD users don't want them to, including myself.

The DSP is rock solid reliable, enables real time processing on Apollo and you can run a tonne of instances without any stability loss. Not to mention a total lack of piracy enabling UA to keep doing their thing to the best of their ability!
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Apollo Updates

I was at Namm yesterday, and saw the new console, and it is a big improvement, from the old.
the negaitive side is you are still limited to 2 headphone feeds, but they say they are working on that,
I pointed out the obvious that it be nice to have 4 headphone feeds when cascaded.
The next point that I missed was only 12 digital I/O? Why not 8+8+2+2, well if a remeber correctly they are using ADAT to connect the 2 Apollos together, they say you can un-chain them and use the 4 phones but the work flow is not as seamless.
They did say they'd like to try and implement the 4 HP feeds, at a later time,but can't commit to it right now.
I'm still happy with this update, but more work needs to be done, the new Pro Tools intergration will help, what I got from that was hardware inserts will be much easier now, but as far as routing options I didn't see them, but maybe I missed something,
trying to talk to some one at Namm can be a challenge,with all the stuff going on around you,fortunatly a recorded my questions on my iphone.
Just want to end my post by saying UA is working really hard,they are listening to customer feed back,the new API's are based off the 500 series, so maybe that's why no 2500 yet,and the the new softtube amp modeling is really nice, you can even re-amp..nice

Tommy
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
rlg
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm hoping for -

Any input to any output with FX intact. (I/O matrix) ideally with per track switches for FX printing / monitoring as opposed to global.
+1! This is the biggest, maddening, weakness of this box.

Quote:

Low latency monitoring working in Pro Tools when monitoring through different outputs (mixing board workflow). It currently works only if you monitor through outputs 1-2 (mon). Otherwise you have to use 'mute tone' plugin in Pro Tools which is far from ideal.

Pre/post fader sends

Option for auxes to time aligned in phase with master outs instead of the 32samples late they currently are.

I'll consider anything in addition to the first set of features above a bonus (althought the pre/post fader sends would also be very useful). Baby steps.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg ➑️

I'll consider anything in addition to the first set of features above a bonus (althought the pre/post fader sends would also be very useful). Baby steps.
I have to chime in here to agree 100%

Silly omissions..
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Stasik ➑️
I'm also wondering whether these units will need to both be clocked if clocked to an external clock - I'm clocking a Motu 828 and a apollo From a Burl b2 which only has two word clock outputs.
You can run a bunch of word clock gear from one output with BNC splitters like this:

Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lev Perry From Universal Audio Talks To Pro Tools Expert At NAMM 2013

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
You can run a bunch of word clock gear from one output with BNC splitters like this:

Thanks Network! I actually talked to UA support yesterday and they said that most likely you will have to have word clock cables connected to both of them. But I will for sure try this splitter , was also looking at getting the micro clock from BLA which most ppl seem to like.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios ➑️
This press release gives very little away! I'm dying to know more, and also when?!

I'm hoping for -

Pre/post fader sends

The console recall doesn't save all the plugin chains?

So if I run a vocal through the aux with a reverb it has a 32 sample delay? Is that pretty noticeable?
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe you are talking about something different, console does save all the plugins. Copy the plugin chain to the daw would be amazing.

The new console screenshot has an expander unit tab in the top right, is that in the old console? Or is that a new feature?
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol drippy ➑️
The console recall doesn't save all the plugin chains?

So if I run a vocal through the aux with a reverb it has a 32 sample delay? Is that pretty noticeable?
If you use the auxes for completely wet delay or reverb there is no problem. If you wanted to use them for parallel compression of a drum kit etc, you're screwed. Phasey messy nightmare.

Yes console recall does save the entire mixer. What I would like to be able to do is save and load a channel strip of plugins. I.E a complex chain of four plugins for a guitar sound, but not change all my other mixer levels or plugin settings by loading a full mixer template.

Also, drag to copy plugins would be bliss. Currently copy/paste is very slow.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg ➑️
A glaring oversight if I ever saw one. I`ve been doing some research on this platform and find myself in final stages of pre-purchqse mode. I could not believe the routing limitations of this box. I mean you have the 8 individual analog outs + the ADAT outs as well. For what purpose ? To reference on a spec sheet. ? This is an awesome (and by all accounts awesome sounding) platform, but again appears to be quite closed off.

It is hard to believe that UAD when looking at an upgrade they chose to enable chaining two units, but omitting desperately needed extra AUX, HP and yes......matrix routing. I`m in pause mode now as routing (and the extensibility; interoperability it implies) is important to me. Other than communicating with your DAW, from an I/O perspective this box is crippled. My ten-year old Metric Halo ULN-2, which I will admit is getting long in the tooth in some respects, crushes the Apollo in this regard.

Fixing this issue, should have been priority #1 as it is such a glaring error.

Still all in all a great platform, with lots of potential. Perhaps near-sightedness, but hard to believe matrixing will have to wait. Even the lowly Motu`s and the often taken-to-task Apogee Maestro, leaves the Apollo in the dust on this.

Achilles heel.

Cdlt
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
sfw
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
+1, I'd love to see a 16/16 too. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to keep Apollo's functionality but with 24/24.
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios ➑️

I'm hoping for -

Pre/post fader sends

I honestly doubt we'll ever see being able to print/not-print FX on individual channels. Reason being is I think you'd have to sacrifice a lot of DSP power on the Apollo for it to be able to keep all that straight. I'm personally thankful that there is a global on and off in the first place.

An IO Matrix would be nice, but is something totally different from the analogue console feel they were going for and would probably just take up DSP power anyway.

Pre/Post Fader Aux Sends would be really nice and I have to imagine that'll happen sooner or later.

I for one can't wait for the new ENGL amp emulation plugin that is coming to UAD soon.
πŸ“ Reply