Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I also preferred the Apollo.
Old 7th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It was straight thru, no processing. Benchmark DAC1 -> Apollo -> Protools 10.

And though I hear the differences, I thought the Aphex was fine. This will be my ultra portable unit I bring now. Definitely beats my previous "ultra portable" rig, an Apogee one with a lunchbox. I've managed to shrink what I bring just that much more Aphex took care of one of the items on my wishlist. Now just need NI to make a Maschine with 32 key keyboard, and Gibson to make an acoustic the size of a ukelele with the sound of a full size dreadnought Oh and a robot that mixes and masters for me would be awesome too, Santa didn't give me those for Xmas this year :(
Old 7th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Oh and since I got the Aphex sooner that I was expecting, I had bought a new Lunchbox that I'm now going to sell because it's empty now haha. So if anyone wants a near new lunchbox let me know, didn't even get to un-tie the power cord :/ haha
Old 7th January 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenwarren ➑️
Oh and since I got the Aphex sooner than I was expecting... :/ haha
That made me laugh!
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Went back and listened to the WAV's on headphones, and on speakers in my sound treated room. I did not hear a huge difference or tons of extra low frequency. Maybe I just have useless ears, but I have been doing this for a while.

As they say in Nashville, "We're just chasing fly farts." I put forward that the Aphex is totally fine.

Maybe if you feel up to it, post a diff song, but don't post the converters for a week or so. I would wager the guesses would be all over the place, probably no more than by chance being right.
Old 8th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm up for it, I'll try to do it sometime this week
Old 8th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years

I'm still waiting for Sweetwater to get them in so they can process my order and ship it my way. getting anxious especially hearing other people are already using theirs

Aphex will be making your rig even more portable/valuable once their slick new 500 units surface (the single-space pre's that have EQ and comp all in one unit..)

did I mention I am anxious??
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 ➑️

I'm still waiting for Sweetwater to get them in so they can process my order and ship it my way. getting anxious especially hearing other people are already using theirs

Aphex will be making your rig even more portable/valuable once their slick new 500 units surface (the single-space pre's that have EQ and comp all in one unit..)

did I mention I am anxious??
haha
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I personally went for an Ensemble. AD/DA is very important to me,especially if I'm using thousands of pounds worth of outboard at the front end.
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm going to be using this as a travel interface. I used to bring a 3U case + lunchbox with me, that's not counting mics, etc. I like the portability of this unit more as it significantly lightens my load. If I had people to carry my stuff then probably a different story Again, I don't find the AD on the Aphex bad at all. True the Apollo has the better conversion, but it also cost me more than triple the Aphex.
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here you guys go, blind test
Source file I took from the same lynx thread

Benchmark DAC1 - > ??? A/D

A/D converters used…
Aphex USB 500
UA Apollo
Lavry AD-10
Apogee Symphony
and finally the Focusrite ISA430MKII ADC in my Focusrite ISA One

Wish I had a Burl to thrown in the mix
Attached Files

beck - source.wav (4.76 MB, 993 views)

beck - a.wav (4.63 MB, 1120 views)

beck - b.wav (4.63 MB, 1029 views)

beck - c.wav (4.63 MB, 1048 views)

beck - d.wav (4.63 MB, 1059 views)

beck - e.wav (4.63 MB, 1125 views)

Last edited by warrenwarren; 13th January 2014 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: fix files
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
And here's the live song again re-bounced along with the other converters

Note, I mixed up the beck and live song so converter A in one song isn't the same converter on the other A song.

Also before doing this I would've just chosen one of the more pricey converters like the Lavry but I probably liked the ISA ADC and Apollo best here

I'll do the reveal at a later time, have fun
Attached Files

live - source.wav (4.75 MB, 1001 views)

live - a.wav (4.63 MB, 1013 views)

live - b.wav (4.63 MB, 1045 views)

live - c.wav (4.63 MB, 974 views)

live - d.wav (4.63 MB, 1031 views)

live - e.wav (4.63 MB, 1078 views)

Last edited by warrenwarren; 13th January 2014 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: fix files
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's always starkly amazing to hear how much is changed by PCM conversion to digital when listening to the source file. Although none of these sound like the source file, most are of around the same quality. However two of them sound terrible to me! I will wait and see what others think!
Reviews Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➑️
The samples sound totally fine to me. I find very little difference. Perfectly useable.
Agreed. They have their differences but not for better or worst.
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn ➑️
It's always starkly amazing to hear how much is changed by PCM conversion to digital when listening to the source file. Although none of these sound like the source file, most are of around the same quality. However two of them sound terrible to me! I will wait and see what others think!
Wouldn't it be funny if the ones you find terrible are the one's I liked more haha. But I guess that's what's great about these, it boils down to taste sometimes.

I was going to also attach dual monos I did with my little apogee one, but it was just too dead of a giveaway
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny if the ones you find terrible are the one's I liked more haha. But I guess that's what's great about these, it boils down to taste sometimes.

I was going to also attach dual monos I did with my little apogee one, but it was just too dead of a giveaway

Well I thought two of them added resonances in the guitar that do not appear in the original. I expect some signal change or loss when PCM converting but I don't really want anything added. 2 of the files to me add unpleasant tone to the Guitar in the upper mids and highs. I feel like a AD/DA like this I would be subtractive EQing and Cleaning up signals all the time!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn ➑️
Well I thought two of them added resonances in the guitar that do not appear in the original. I expect some signal change or loss when PCM converting but I don't really want anything added. 2 of the files to me add unpleasant tone to the Guitar in the upper mids and highs. I feel like a AD/DA like this I would be subtractive EQing and Cleaning up signals all the time!

I just listened to these files gain with some metering on. The Peak and RMS levels are all over the place on these. The refernce is master to a 0 DB level but the converter samples are not peaking at a consistent level.

This will have more effect on tonal differences heard than anything the actual conversion is doing. We need level matched samples to hear tonal differences. Otherwise Fletcher-Munson will rule the discussion.
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Whoops, yeah that would've been smart. I've updated the files. Also, re-recorded some of the tracks, don't know what I did with those tracks so just re-recorded them.
Old 12th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Why doesn't anyone just ballz up and realize that converter to converter tests are useless?

Put up a mic, a preamp, and the two converters. Record a take into one and a take into the other.

If you claim that it's unscientific, then your ears aren't good enough to mitigate the differences between two different guitar takes. That's amateur. I'm usually not combative, but I feel strong about that.

So, can someone just play a freakin' acoustic guitar riff into one converter then into the other?

We are musicians here, right?
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chasing Fly farts
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I take that all back. I will only spread love for my fellow musicgeneers from now on at Gearslutz.com
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm going to be using this as a travel interface. I used to bring a 3U case + lunchbox with me, that's not counting mics, etc. I like the portability of this unit more as it significantly lightens my load. If I had people to carry my stuff then probably a different story Again, I don't find the AD on the Aphex bad at all. True the Apollo has the better conversion, but it also cost me more than triple the Aphex.
Nice thing is, even if this is being used as your travel interface, you can still use it as a regular lunchbox with your main studio setup.. it is a very versatile unit.

I personally am upgrading to this unit in my home studio as my main interface AND will be using it for travel. I was originally looking at this or the Quartet, I have a feeling I made a good choice. Should have mine Tues/Wed!

And I do appreciate people getting to the bottom of how it stacks up against more expensive interfaces.. but the functionality / features of what you get for the money just seems like a no-brainer to me.

But this is a big upgrade for me, previously using a Focusrite Scarlet and some FMR RNP/RNC and Rane units. Now I'll have this and an API 512 / Avedis MA5 to start the party.

Still trying to decide how I want to build from there (might wait for the Pre-Comp-EQ units from Aphex... but there are so many possibilities!)
Old 12th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I got it yesterday and threw in my neves. I'm having problems using it in PT 10, 11. Couple things I really don't like about it: It didn't come with any screws so my modules are just chillin there til I go to the store. For a $700 product it's ridiculous for it not to come with screws. Next the modules are kinda hard to get in there. The modules entire middle part is suspended except for the front that screws in and the connector part. Next the software/drivers are buggy. The aphex audio driver control panel is screwed up like the panel is overlapping itself and i'm getting pops/crackles in pt when i shouldn't. next: when I turn the master volume knob down all the way I can still hear sound. Next: if I want to use the headphones in PT I have to switch from output 1 n 2 to heaphones 1 n 2. I can't just turn up the headphone volume and throw my headphones on. I've been having other problems in pt but I'm hoping it's user error. eg latency sucks. Also I can't use itunes or listen to anything on the internet with the aphex. It does play sound it pt which it better at least lol. But I'm hoping these problems can be fixed. I've spent a few hours trying to get it right and have not yet. I'm not gonna waste more time, i'll just call aphex for help monday. I hope to resolve these issues but if I can't I'm gonna have to take the aphex back and get something else. I've been waiting a yr for this and it sucks to say that as I had high hopes for it!

On the positive side: I'll really like what this unit will do to my workflow it will work correctly. I plugged in a bass and it sounded good thru my 1073lb and 88rlb. Awesome idea, I'm surprised it took this long to come out with something like this. Also the unit does feel sturdy.

I'm using it on a pc. The pc is definitely not the problem.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This being my first jump into the 500 series world, how to other companies prevent the units being suspended by only the screws and connector? From what I can see, it doesn't look like there is any support in an API or Radial unit - but I could be wrong.
How much of a problem does this pose and are there any thoughts on how to "fix" it? Stash a little piece of plastic or foam inside under where the units sit as a cushion? I can't imagine companies would design a unit designed to be so portable + expensive but leave us to have to worry about the $1000 modules taking a beating for itemized
I mean, I would be treating it as I treat all of my gear: with care. But I'd like to feel comfortable knowing the modules are safe in side the rack..

As for the latency issue- so far you're the only one who's mentioned it so hopefully that can be fixed! I left Protools a few years ago so I'll be using it with Reaper and will have to report in on how that goes. Either that or I might give the Harrison Mixbus a shot. (I've still never tried Logic --- but I don't want to derail this thread into a DAW conversation!)
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice thing is, even if this is being used as your travel interface, you can still use it as a regular lunchbox with your main studio setup.. it is a very versatile unit.

I personally am upgrading to this unit in my home studio as my main interface AND will be using it for travel. I was originally looking at this or the Quartet, I have a feeling I made a good choice. Should have mine Tues/Wed!

And I do appreciate people getting to the bottom of how it stacks up against more expensive interfaces.. but the functionality / features of what you get for the money just seems like a no-brainer to me.

But this is a big upgrade for me, previously using a Focusrite Scarlet and some FMR RNP/RNC and Rane units. Now I'll have this and an API 512 / Avedis MA5 to start the party.

Still trying to decide how I want to build from there (might wait for the Pre-Comp-EQ units from Aphex... but there are so many possibilities!)
Yeah exactly, when I'm here, I don't use it as an interface. Strictly just as a lunchbox.

I like the idea of both, the quartet as main because of monitoring and this for travel I don't think the two are comparable though

And that's what I have in mine right now actually, a 512C in slot 1
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack-fr_239_size640.jpg  
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale ➑️
I got it yesterday and threw in my neves. I'm having problems using it in PT 10, 11. Couple things I really don't like about it: It didn't come with any screws so my modules are just chillin there til I go to the store. For a $700 product it's ridiculous for it not to come with screws. Next the modules are kinda hard to get in there. The modules entire middle part is suspended except for the front that screws in and the connector part. Next the software/drivers are buggy. The aphex audio driver control panel is screwed up like the panel is overlapping itself and i'm getting pops/crackles in pt when i shouldn't. next: when I turn the master volume knob down all the way I can still hear sound. Next: if I want to use the headphones in PT I have to switch from output 1 n 2 to heaphones 1 n 2. I can't just turn up the headphone volume and throw my headphones on. I've been having other problems in pt but I'm hoping it's user error. eg latency sucks. Also I can't use itunes or listen to anything on the internet with the aphex. It does play sound it pt which it better at least lol. But I'm hoping these problems can be fixed. I've spent a few hours trying to get it right and have not yet. I'm not gonna waste more time, i'll just call aphex for help monday. I hope to resolve these issues but if I can't I'm gonna have to take the aphex back and get something else. I've been waiting a yr for this and it sucks to say that as I had high hopes for it!

On the positive side: I'll really like what this unit will do to my workflow it will work correctly. I plugged in a bass and it sounded good thru my 1073lb and 88rlb. Awesome idea, I'm surprised it took this long to come out with something like this. Also the unit does feel sturdy.
Haha yeah, my modules were chillin until I got screws too. Didn't have problems mounting them though. In fact, I found it easier than mounting in my API lunchbox. Had no problems in Pro Tools either, at least so far. I'm on a Mac running mountain lion still though. Are you on a Mac or PC?

I did notice that you can still hear a little sound after turning down the volume, it's actually louder on the headphones. :/

The headphone switching was the first thing I noticed when I turned it on. I didn't like it at first either. In Logic though, the headphones and main outs work together.

Didn't know about the itunes/internet playback though. Though I won't be using this for that, I'm sure a lot of people will use this as their single interface and not being able to use it as their global sound device would be irritating.
Old 12th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm using it on a pc. I've had it with this unit. It took em a whole extra 8 months from when it was supposed to be released and the noted problems are too erroneous for me. I'm gonna swap for a neve 542 tape emulation. Also my lindell audio 500 slot power supply fits the modules in much more securely as it has grooves and a bottom to hold them. oh well.....rme here I come.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This being my first jump into the 500 series world, how to other companies prevent the units being suspended by only the screws and connector? From what I can see, it doesn't look like there is any support in an API or Radial unit - but I could be wrong.
How much of a problem does this pose and are there any thoughts on how to "fix" it? Stash a little piece of plastic or foam inside under where the units sit as a cushion? I can't imagine companies would design a unit designed to be so portable + expensive but leave us to have to worry about the $1000 modules taking a beating for itemized
I mean, I would be treating it as I treat all of my gear: with care. But I'd like to feel comfortable knowing the modules are safe in side the rack..

As for the latency issue- so far you're the only one who's mentioned it so hopefully that can be fixed! I left Protools a few years ago so I'll be using it with Reaper and will have to report in on how that goes. Either that or I might give the Harrison Mixbus a shot. (I've still never tried Logic --- but I don't want to derail this thread into a DAW conversation!)
You need the screws period.

Mix Bus sucked for me.

Hope they listen and provide the small .20 screws that hold the 500 series Modls.. Really Aphex?
Old 13th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
You need the screws period.

Mix Bus sucked for me.

Hope they listen and provide the small .20 screws that hold the 500 series Modls.. Really Aphex?
Hey, why did you say the mix bus sucked for you? What happened?
πŸ“ Reply