Quantcast
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 19th November 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth ➡️
there going to be some expensive 500 modules in it, so people expect the best ADA converter quality/circuitry. hopefully it up to par or close to big standalone converters units. so if aphex provided excellent ADA conversion, i see it as a game changer. so far the features seem solid.

is it possible to take external preamps, and chain it with the internal 500 ones. for example if i use external preamp but also want to use a 500 compressor /or eq module plugged into aphex?
Yes. Simply take the line output of the preamp and plug it in to the XLR
connector of the rack that has the compressor module installed. From there you can chain to other modules as well. EQs, Exciters, etc.
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm unclear on the headphone mix. Stand-alone without a DAW attached with, say, 4 mic pres in there: what is the headphone mix, or what are the options for the headphone mix?
Old 24th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Aphex Tech, is it possible to provide any details of the convertors?
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatwulf ➡️
Aphex Tech, is it possible to provide any details of the convertors?
Until people start testing and reviewing these, the data is kinda useless, on its own. IMO.
Old 29th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Haven't posted here in....

....ages but have been following this thread for months.
Just kind of wondering if anyone has gotten wind of other companies planning a similar product? Such a great idea it almost seems a no-brainer. Can't wait to hear first reviews on the aphex.

Cheers.
Jim.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
News...
I was told by my dealer yesterday that he expects my order to show up Dec. 15th. I am located in Canada. YMMV.
Old 3rd December 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Nolan ➡️
I'm unclear on the headphone mix. Stand-alone without a DAW attached with, say, 4 mic pres in there: what is the headphone mix, or what are the options for the headphone mix?
The headphone outputs are part of the USB interface features.
You can't simply monitor the output of a module via the headphone outputs.
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a question.

Will the Midi i/o be available to iOS devices? Any restrictions?

This could be THE killer stereo I/o solution with midi i/o!
Old 4th December 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Yes.
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Shipping yet?
Old 7th December 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Aphex Tech- any inside scoop on those mysterious 500 units that you guys posted a picture of on your Facebook a few weeks back?? They almost look like a pre/eq/comp all in a single 500 unit space... which it probably isn't .. (but if it is, that'd make the 4 slots of the 500 usb rack even more amazing!)

Just curious..

Thanks!!
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This will be my Christmas present to myself...even if its not released until next year!

Are there any 500 modules that this rack will not support?

Best of luck with the release xoxo
Old 10th December 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 ➡️
Aphex Tech- any inside scoop on those mysterious 500 units that you guys posted a picture of on your Facebook a few weeks back?? They almost look like a pre/eq/comp all in a single 500 unit space... which it probably isn't .. (but if it is, that'd make the 4 slots of the 500 usb rack even more amazing!)

Just curious..

Thanks!!
A Class A preamp, Optical compressor and 2 overlapping bands of EQ in a one space 500 series module? Certainly not! It can't be done! Or can it?
IT CAN! It's called PROJECT 500. You can even set the compressor pre/post EQ!
Yes, 4 Project 500 modules in a USB 500 RACK does sound intriguing doesn't it?

The other is called the CX-500. It's a classic Aphex gate coupled with the classic VCA Easyrider compressor. Each processor has it's own bypass button and it features fantastic metering!

Keep your eyes open for more details soon!
Old 10th December 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosskitty ➡️
This will be my Christmas present to myself...even if its not released until next year!

Are there any 500 modules that this rack will not support?

Best of luck with the release xoxo
A great way to start the new year!
The USB 500 RACK provides approximately 200mA per slot.
So as long as the sum of your module draw is less than 800mA,
you'll be rockin'. As with ANY frame, be sure you know how much
current your modules require BEFORE you install them for use.
API VPR approved modules will never be a problem.
Old 14th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➡️
A Class A preamp, Optical compressor and 2 overlapping bands of EQ in a one space 500 series module? Certainly not! It can't be done! Or can it?
IT CAN! It's called PROJECT 500. You can even set the compressor pre/post EQ!
Yes, 4 Project 500 modules in a USB 500 RACK does sound intriguing doesn't it?

The other is called the CX-500. It's a classic Aphex gate coupled with the classic VCA Easyrider compressor. Each processor has it's own bypass button and it features fantastic metering!

Keep your eyes open for more details soon!
This sounds HUGE. Pair these units up with the 4 slot rack and you have a seriously powerful, small, portable but top notch recording rig. Oh boy. Put me on the waiting list.

I feel like these guys at Aphex are setting the bar pretty high. I think its worth the wait because these products are going to be hard to beat and they definitely are answering a lot of the "MAN I WISH THERE WAS A PRODUCT THAT DID THAT BUT NOONE MAKES IT!" feelings about interfaces and 500 series gear. Actually i keep looking at their products over the past year and its all answers to my frustrations with other gear. I really can't wait to check it out

(Dear Aphex Tech- sorry we're all so anxious and nagging so much about release dates... I think theres just a lot of excitement and anticipation for all this cool stuff! Don't let the grumpy impatient people get you down. I'm sure there are plenty of us who still have faith and plenty more who will be coming back to thank you guys later once they finally get there hands on one. )
Old 16th December 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah. I feel bad a little about being so anxious for this thing, but then I think about how cool this unit is going to be and then it makes perfect sense why I would be upset for feeling strung along. But I agree, it's going to be successful even if it's released 6 months from now. I decided to go in a different direction because I wanted to work on a new project but I really hope to get one in the future.
Old 16th December 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserrano ➡️
Yeah. I feel bad a little about being so anxious for this thing, but then I think about how cool this unit is going to be and then it makes perfect sense why I would be upset for feeling strung along. But I agree, it's going to be successful even if it's released 6 months from now. I decided to go in a different direction because I wanted to work on a new project but I really hope to get one in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 ➡️
This sounds HUGE. Pair these units up with the 4 slot rack and you have a seriously powerful, small, portable but top notch recording rig. Oh boy. Put me on the waiting list.

I feel like these guys at Aphex are setting the bar pretty high. I think its worth the wait because these products are going to be hard to beat and they definitely are answering a lot of the "MAN I WISH THERE WAS A PRODUCT THAT DID THAT BUT NOONE MAKES IT!" feelings about interfaces and 500 series gear. Actually i keep looking at their products over the past year and its all answers to my frustrations with other gear. I really can't wait to check it out

(Dear Aphex Tech- sorry we're all so anxious and nagging so much about release dates... I think theres just a lot of excitement and anticipation for all this cool stuff! Don't let the grumpy impatient people get you down. I'm sure there are plenty of us who still have faith and plenty more who will be coming back to thank you guys later once they finally get there hands on one. )
Thanks for the kind words! The time is drawing nigh! By the pricking up my thumbs something wicked this way comes!
Old 19th December 2013
i was waiting on this for a minute. but now i might pulled pull the trigger on SPL Crimson.
Old 20th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i was waiting on this for a minute. but now i might pulled pull the trigger on SPL Crimson.
but where do you put your 500 modules into the crimson heh
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've been waiting since like march for this thing and Aphex has been promising the unit month after month. Don't tell the customers it's coming out on such n such if its not. I've talked to them on the phone several times n this has happened. So I reserved one but forget it now. I'm getting an api n calling it a day as I bought a neve 1073 lb months ago n haven't used it yet.
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Old 20th December 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGearRow ➡️
but where do you put your 500 modules into the crimson heh
buyin cheap chassis power supply and then into the line inputs of the crimson
Old 21st December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
buyin cheap chassis power supply and then into the line inputs of the crimson
....which actually is a pretty cool idea!
Old 22nd December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
....Or a audient id22?... The crimson is just now shipping. Not many reviews yet that I could find. Maybe an 18i20 plus Lindell 506 rack? Total around $800. Defeats the whole integrated thing though.
Old 22nd December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Let me point out something important. The SPL Crimson, the Audient, etc., do not offer what the Aphex USB Rack offers. Those interfaces aren't very comparable. If you are looking for just a box with 2 good pres and conversion then sure, by all means, buy those other interfaces - they will probably be great and amazing for that. But if you are looking to dramatically increase your work flow, hardware mix potential and flexibility, these other interfaces shouldn't be mentioned as alternatives to the Aphex. Probably the most outstanding feature of the Aphex is that you can now mix with analogue hardware without the need of a patch bay. Sure, you can still do if you have the patience to be bothered with Y cables and plug swapping (seriously a mood killer to inspiration and work flow) but this would seriously be very complicated. The Aphex's USB benefit is very likely to set a new standard for 500 series racks.

By the way, this is coming from someone who is not going to get the Aphex because I want to finish a couple of projects with my Metric Halo ULN-2 without getting distracted by a new interface. I just can't deny how special the Aphex USB Rack will be.
Old 23rd December 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Let me point out something important. The SPL Crimson, the Audient, etc., do not offer what the Aphex USB Rack offers. Those interfaces aren't very comparable. If you are looking for just a box with 2 good pres and conversion then sure, by all means, buy those other interfaces - they will probably be great and amazing for that. But if you are looking to dramatically increase your work flow, hardware mix potential and flexibility, these other interfaces shouldn't be mentioned as alternatives to the Aphex. Probably the most outstanding feature of the Aphex is that you can now mix with analogue hardware without the need of a patch bay. Sure, you can still do if you have the patience to be bothered with Y cables and plug swapping (seriously a mood killer to inspiration and work flow) but this would seriously be very complicated. The Aphex's USB benefit is very likely to set a new standard for 500 series racks.

By the way, this is coming from someone who is not going to get the Aphex because I want to finish a couple of projects with my Metric Halo ULN-2 without getting distracted by a new interface. I just can't deny how special the Aphex USB Rack will be.
no i completely agree with you. aphex is innovative with this piece here. i might just wait it out for aphex since the release is near now. i thought about it, like u said, crimson, is a high quality unit but its for different use. one thing i did hear abour crimson is that their pres, and conversion is killer for the price range.

what i dont like about the crimson is that it has no outs. aphex is great for that with all in 1 solution. im not sure how good the ADA going to be. thats a deal maker for me. if the conversation is great, then im all in, if its subpar, or not equivalent to Crimson or some of the other products, then whats the point of using analog. well see what aphex is bringing to the table.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure, you can still do if you have the patience to be bothered with Y cables and plug swapping (seriously a mood killer to inspiration and work flow) but this would seriously be very complicated.
Been at this since tape and patch bays. That doesn't usually kill the mood here. Well, maybe a time or two. I'll agree though, two different ways to skin a cat regarding converters and cheap rack mentioned. A good song won't know how you made it though. The integrated method is appealing for sure and a clean intro for some to outboard gear. Can't wait to hear about it once it gets into the wild.
Regarding Crimson, it's true, seems those wanting to run 500 series are mostly out of luck due to lack of outs? Maybe others here know more. It's an interesting piece of gear.
Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Crimson is actually capable of interfacing with outboard gear thru Speaker 2.

Master buss processing and more.

Juiceblock from SMPROaudio is also another interesting take on the 500 series.

The Aphex doesn't have a large monitor knob and only operates at 96k.

One of the main reasons I bought the Crimson is because Aphex have taken so long to get this thing out.

Cheers
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
The Aphex doesn't have a large monitor knob and only operates at 96k.
For the record, we're completely confident about the size of our knob.

Also, the USB 500 Rack will operate at 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➡️
For the record, we're completely confident about the size of our knob.
📝 Reply