NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 7th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
When is this coming out? I want it now.
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quality of converters would be awesome to know as well. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
We'll have some demo recordings for you in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 21st June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I am hanging out to hear the sound samples. Was going to buy a tonelux or radial but with the USB capability I reckon this would seal the deal!
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
PERFECT FOR mobile recording (for me).
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah! Perfect for many uses! I want one!
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Will this come out this month?
Old 7th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would like listening to samples from Aphex.

In my case, no samples no buy.
Old 7th July 2013
Deleted #255447
Aphex as a brand have a solid reputation, so I expect this product to be nothing short of good.

Personally, before seriously considering purchase I'll need to see several reputable, unbiased reviews comparing the quality of conversion (Lynx, Prism, RME...) and lunchbox (API, BAE, Purple...) features with well known players in those markets to see how it stacks up. Hopefully in the coming weeks all will be answered.
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
One last question. Will it be possible to place a 500 series compressor as an insert in my DAW the same way you insert a plugin? Meaning there would be some sort of automatic software routing? Or, will we just have to route the I/O manually in our DAW?
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
That's really more of a function of how your DAW deals with hardware inserts. In Pro Tools you click on an insert, but instead of selecting a plug-in you select I/O and then select hardware input 1-4 depending on which on the 4 modules you want to use.
Old 15th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Can this integrate with outboard gear I already have? Can those 4 analog outs function as a standard interface would when no modules are loaded? How about when modules are loaded?
Old 16th July 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
The 4 XLR analog outputs are the individual module outputs that you find on ALL 500 series receiving frames. This allows you to send the module output signal to your A/D, recorder, mixer, etc.

If you DO have a module installed, you can assign a DAW output to that slot and the analog XLR output will forward the signal. If you bypass the module, you'll simply get a standard analog output. If not, you'll have a processed signal forwarded to the XLR output.
If you DO NOT have a module installed, this cannot be done.

GOOD QUESTION!
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So, when is the shipping date? I'm really looking forward it.
Old 17th July 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
It will ship in August. Sorry for the long wait everyone. But it will be worth it!
Old 2nd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➑️
We'll have some demo recordings for you in the next 2-3 weeks.
Any news?
Old 4th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
...just take your time and come up with an eight slot rackmountable version of this thing - any chance of seeing something like this in the foreseeable future?
Old 5th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGearRow ➑️
...just take your time and come up with an eight slot rackmountable version of this thing - any chance of seeing something like this in the foreseeable future?
+1!!!
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➑️
The unit does come with two individual headphone amps taken from our Popular HeadPod4 headphone amplifier product. They both source the same mix, but it is separately assigned from the main stereo output signal that is routed to analog outputs 1&2 on the rear of the unit.

NOTE: A correction to the price, it is $749 MAP. Previously I had been quoting $799 MAP. My bad. As to the value of the product at that price point, that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. But I think you'll have a hard time finding a combination of products that will do what this box will do especially considering the high quality analog paths and the HeadPod4 headphone amps.
It's certainly more convenient.
Just to clarify: the headphone outputs are accessible in the USB driver independently from the main stereo output? I thought I read 8 channels of USB output being 4 to modules, 2 to stereo out and 2 S/PDIF.

Still hoping to ship this month?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdulin ➑️
Just to clarify: the headphone outputs are accessible in the USB driver independently from the main stereo output? I thought I read 8 channels of USB output being 4 to modules, 2 to stereo out and 2 S/PDIF.

Still hoping to ship this month?
I don't believe they are counting the headphone output in the "8 channels of output".

From what I have been told:

4 XLR analog outs (technically to the modules). But, they can be used as outputs independent of the modules.
2 TRS analog outs (for monitors, or whatever else)
2 S/PDIF outs

Then there is an additional headphone output. However, this mirrors the output of the 2 trs analog outs.

I hope this is really going to ship this month. I really want to get my hands on one. I have a feeling there is going to be a wait-list though.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ah man. I just heard the date got pushed back to September 9th, possibly later.

Are you out there AphexTech? Can you confirm it's now September 9th? Is it going to keep being pushed back?
Old 16th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes, please don't keep us in the dark. I am also waiting on this piece. I'd really like to know when it's coming out.
Old 16th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Biggest online Dealer in Germany - thomann - expects it to have in stock on september 16.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's doesn't tell us much though. They will just change their expectation date if Aphex changes theirs.
Old 20th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What happened to aphex tech??? I want to make a purchase, but I don't know if it will even ship this year. The ship date keeps getting pushed back.
Old 20th August 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
quite cool - wonder if there is a way to patch the modules together to a strip before going into the box...

yeah, it says so right in the 1st post:

Modules can be configured in series
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any reviews of this thing yet? I'd love one if the converters are good enough - in practice.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I waited months for Black Lion Audio's Dizengoff D173 (Neve 1073 clone) to come out. I even preordered two of them. Guess what? Never came out! That was a year ago. Let's hope this isn't a similar scenario.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserrano ➑️
I waited months for Black Lion Audio's Dizengoff D173 (Neve 1073 clone) to come out. I even preordered two of them. Guess what? Never came out! That was a year ago. Let's hope this isn't a similar scenario.
Amazing that they're in all the online shops. :/
Old 26th August 2013 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMadScientist ➑️
What happened to aphex tech??? I want to make a purchase, but I don't know if it will even ship this year. The ship date keeps getting pushed back.
Sorry for the delays guys. We're almost done with her. Like I've said, we want to make sure she's 100% before we let her leave home for the first time.
πŸ“ Reply