The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 26th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A/D Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMix.com ➡️
From what I hear (the posted blind test) this is really close to a even a Lavry! Why is this box not getting more love???? Should be the ideal travel interface... Any more user experience out there regarding the converter quality?
For me I sent it back after just a day. You see: you spend all of this money for high quality pres, only to loose the fidelity to the A/D conversion of the box. I heard this degradation immediately, because I owned an apogee ensemble. The USB A/D is only using an AKM4xxx series, which is the bottom of the barrel converter chip. If you are in the 500 series game, you need, at least, an AKM5xxx or CS5xxx.

I could clearly hear the subpar A/D.

This is why most people use a regular lunchbox and then go into their high quality ADC and DAC.

There is a reason why ADC machines are about $500 per channel.

Great idea, but a clear bottleneck!
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I should state, I disagree with the above poster. I think the conversion is fine. I was using mine as a travel interface for doing quick mixes on the road, and I was using slots for outboard compression. The problem with this unit if you are using Pro tools is that they didn't properly keep the inputs and outputs aligned. So, slot one is input 1 but output 5. They did this so you could use the audio outs with iTunes and the like, but what they should have done is had the slots be ins 3-6, and outs 3-6. The headphones could be 7-8 and the main outs could be 1-2 out and the spdif in could have been input 1-2. As it is now you can't use this thing with Pro Tools. Of course you can route stuff out of one output via a track out and input it via an aux and not use proper inserts. However if you do that, you get no delay compensation. With this unit that is a disaster. The latency makes it so you can't use it with anything where the timing is tight.

Really too bad. Simply can't use it if you are a Pro Tools user as a way to use 500 modules as an insert point on your tracks.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone ever got 2 of these racks aggregated in Pt? I tried but only one set of the ins and outs were recognized. Not sure if it is because they are the same names, i dont know. Can anyone help?
Old 17th September 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenwarren ➡️
Here's the converter results
Live:
A = Focusrite ISA One A/D
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = UA Apollo
E = Aphex USB 500

Beck:
A = Aphex USB 500
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = Focusrite ISA One A/D
E = UA Apollo

No Symphony, I lied
Just checked the test and in my opinion :
_ the source has the largest stereo field
_ the Aphex then the Apollo/Focusrites comes close. I think that the Aphex has a larger stereo image compare to the Apollo, just check the reverb.
_ the Lavry changes the stereo field, it makes all instrument sounding more separated but changes the global reverb.
_ no one is equal to the source
_ the Lavry has the most "natural attack" on the accoustic guitar (if it means something).

Very impressed by the Aphex so i bought one.

Last edited by _ben; 18th September 2016 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So...........Don't buy one?
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love mine! Buy one!
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The problem is, I don't see any for sale. The new old stock stuff sold out at various places.
Old 30th September 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hello! I'm having trouble using a compressor as a hardware insert in Logic. I did it a while back with the I/O plugin but now I can't seem to set it up properly. I already have the material recorded on track. I just want to run it through a compressor. How do I set this up? Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
no one?
Old 9th November 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GospelMusicians ➡️
The USB A/D is only using an AKM4xxx series, which is the bottom of the barrel converter chip. If you are in the 500 series game, you need, at least, an AKM5xxx or CS5xxx.
Just wanted to correct this - the Aphex 500 is using the AKM AK5388 (4 Ch ADC).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlex ➡️
Just wanted to correct this - the Aphex 500 is using the AKM AK5388 (4 Ch ADC).
For those of us who own one...

Is this a good thing?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➡️
For those of us who own one...

Is this a good thing?
Yeah, it's pretty good. It's basically the same as the Apollo, as well some of the RME devices, Apogee Symphony Mk2, etc.
Old 6th April 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone interested in buying one or 2 of these? I think im going to go a different route for my main interface but im still contemplating.
📝 Reply