Quantcast
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale ➡️
Also for future releases please add individual on off buttons. People will rave about this simple feature. I too am very happy with my unit!!
Good idea for the next generation if we do one.
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 ➡️
I'm still very happy with my unit. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

However, IF there are refinements being made to future models or any brainstorming going on regarding "bigger rack units" ... if more-slot units weren't an option on the table, perhaps just as cool (maybe cooler in some cases) would be an ADAT in/out that would allow you to add another 500usb / link them together?

I know a lot of interfaces allow adat in that allows you to add on 8 more inputs/pres .. but what if you could use that adat to add on 4-8 more 500 units?
Another good idea for a future product.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yea well damn i never knew how hard it would be to get hardware and software to be compatible with windows 8. Ive had problems with it since the beginning. And my computer isnt the type i can downgrade from what ive read. I guess I just need a new computer. Thanks for replying quickly tho.
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
Yea well damn i never knew how hard it would be to get hardware and software to be compatible with windows 8. Ive had problems with it since the beginning. And my computer isnt the type i can downgrade from what ive read. I guess I just need a new computer. Thanks for replying quickly tho.
I know that there are people using Windows 8 that are getting great results with their systems. (Not Aphex products, but interfaces with Windows 8 drivers). I don't personally have much experience with Windows 8. But in Windows 7 you have to disable Aero and use classic view. I would think that all of the new visuals and touch screen features in 8 would cause the same problems and many new ones. So even more things to disable. I certainly hear more negative reports than positive on 8, but I would love to hear from some people using it with success and find out what kind of optimizations they've had to do.
I would be surprised if you couldn't install 7 fresh on your machine. You'll have to download 7 drivers for all of your hardware but they're likely available.
Windows 7 seems to be the most solid OS for DAW computers from all the things I've read. The Windows 7 machines I've used with the USB 500 RACK had great results. Less than 10ms Round trip latency with a 32 sample buffer.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Ableton Live 9 with the 500 RACK

I have to say that I didn't think Ableton Live users would be interested in the USB 500 RACK, but I was wrong! I was thinking of it as an input device, but I just got off of the phone with a guy who is using it for hardware inserts! He had a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph and a pair saturators from Germany that I wasn't familiar with. He uses them on the master buss. He was having some trouble figuring out the proper I/O settings. I used a pair of Comps and Exciters on my end to set up the routing, but it works great.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➡️
I know that there are people using Windows 8 that are getting great results with their systems. (Not Aphex products, but interfaces with Windows 8 drivers). I don't personally have much experience with Windows 8. But in Windows 7 you have to disable Aero and use classic view. I would think that all of the new visuals and touch screen features in 8 would cause the same problems and many new ones. So even more things to disable. I certainly hear more negative reports than positive on 8, but I would love to hear from some people using it with success and find out what kind of optimizations they've had to do.
I would be surprised if you couldn't install 7 fresh on your machine. You'll have to download 7 drivers for all of your hardware but they're likely available.
Windows 7 seems to be the most solid OS for DAW computers from all the things I've read. The Windows 7 machines I've used with the USB 500 RACK had great results. Less than 10ms Round trip latency with a 32 sample buffer.
I planning to just buy a downgrade soon. Thats another $100 i could throw towards my Aphex 500 =/ but im pretty sure im still gonna be doing this regardless. I plan to buy a Daking pre amp as my first 500 module for my step into the 500 world. I am kind of interested in your guy's compressor and your exciter/bb module (mostly after reading that one post describing how it works) but all this is gonna blow a hole in my wallet. I just have one noobish question i would like to ask...when you say 10 ms ROUNDTRIP latency...are you refering to the regular audible delay from the latency or does ROUNDTRIP imply something else?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrec ➡️
Aphex emailed me back quickly and explained it has to be routed via Audio MIDI Setup to choose computer audio playback between the Main Outs 1 & 2 to the headphone outs 3 & 4. It differs in that way from my past USB interfaces but I'll still be keeping the USB Rack.
How exactly did you do choose computer audio playback between the Main Outs 1 & 2 to the headphone outs 3 & 4? I dont get it.
Thanks for helping.
Aphex Tech
Quote:
I planning to just buy a downgrade soon. Thats another $100 i could throw towards my Aphex 500 =/ but im pretty sure im still gonna be doing this regardless. I plan to buy a Daking pre amp as my first 500 module for my step into the 500 world. I am kind of interested in your guy's compressor and your exciter/bb module (mostly after reading that one post describing how it works) but all this is gonna blow a hole in my wallet. I just have one noobish question i would like to ask...when you say 10 ms ROUNDTRIP latency...are you refering to the regular audible delay from the latency or does ROUNDTRIP imply something else?
You may want to wait for our PROJECT 500 module. It should be shipping next month for only $399 MAP. Project 500 | Aphex Electronics
It may be a good place to start without blowing a hole in your wallet!
Class A mic pre, optical compressor and 2-band EQ.

Round Trip Latency is the amount of time it takes for you to play or sing a note, have the signal go all the way through the hardware/software/hardware and to your speakers or headphones for you to hear it.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErosBlodoks ➡️
How exactly did you do choose computer audio playback between the Main Outs 1 & 2 to the headphone outs 3 & 4? I dont get it.
Thanks for helping.
Sorry everyone is brainstorming AFTER the product has been released.. but, again, if you're ever going to do another version of the product down the road..

In addition to adding an ADAT in/out so you can use two USB500 units together, what if the volume knobs for the headphone and main outs were also push buttons to select them ? (Push the volume button on the headphone 1 so it clicks out, now headphone 1 is "on" , push the volume for the main outs so it clicks/recesses in and the monitors are "off" ) This would be a very user friendly feature as it would be one less thing to have to select in computer settings (And one less thing to explain to everyone who buys one
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
EDIT: I just re-realized the purpose of routing outputs in the software VS on the hardware.. allows a lot more flexibility to the unit . Scratch that last post.

>> I think also its time to stop making suggestions and spend more time playing with it. I love this thing.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Better drivers and software mixing for 0 latency like RME. I still encounter problems like crackles and distortion while recording. I then have to exit and turn off the aphex, turn on the aphex and then go back to doing what I was doing. jus saying
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for helping.
I'm guessing you're on a mac. Go to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder. Find "Audio MIDI Setup", click and open, and the "Audio Devices" window should open. Make sure the 500 Rack is selected and then click the "Configure Speakers..." button on the bottom right side of the window. A new window then pops under "Stereo". Then configure the "left front" speaker from 1 to 3 and the "right front" speaker from 2 to 4, click apply, and the Headphones should now work. Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sorry everyone is brainstorming AFTER the product has been released.. but, again, if you're ever going to do another version of the product down the road..

In addition to adding an ADAT in/out so you can use two USB500 units together, what if the volume knobs for the headphone and main outs were also push buttons to select them ? (Push the volume button on the headphone 1 so it clicks out, now headphone 1 is "on" , push the volume for the main outs so it clicks/recesses in and the monitors are "off" ) This would be a very user friendly feature as it would be one less thing to have to select in computer settings (And one less thing to explain to everyone who buys one
Here's a few things I would like to see in the future. Bump up a new model from a 4 module to a 10 module 19" rack. Use thunderbolt so it can link up to 6 of them for a total of 60 modules and 12 headphone outs. Move the selection switches from the back of the unit to the front so one doesn't have to keep reaching around. And to be able to use the headphones and main outs at the same time.

The USB 500 Rack is still a great piece of gear though and definitely the first of its kind. I just hope Aphex doesn't stop at that.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here's a few things I would like to see in the future. Bump up a new model from a 4 module to a 10 module 19" rack. Use thunderbolt so it can link up to 6 of them for a total of 60 modules and 12 headphone outs. Move the selection switches from the back of the unit to the front so one doesn't have to keep reaching around. And to be able to use the headphones and main outs at the same time.

The USB 500 Rack is still a great piece of gear though and definitely the first of its kind. I just hope Aphex doesn't stop at that.
I thought about how tight it would be for them to do that 19" rack like how you explain, that would be sick. Definately better drivers tho because 10ms sounds a lot for latency. Im tripping tho because I seen one video of a guy from Aphex saying it was capable to have 2ms latency...i dont know
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm guessing you're on a mac. Go to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder. Find "Audio MIDI Setup", click and open, and the "Audio Devices" window should open. Make sure the 500 Rack is selected and then click the "Configure Speakers..." button on the bottom right side of the window. A new window then pops under "Stereo". Then configure the "left front" speaker from 1 to 3 and the "right front" speaker from 2 to 4, click apply, and the Headphones should now work. Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Thank you for explaining, but when doing this, the sound is only in the headphones output. Is there a way to get the same signal in the studio monitors and headphones at the same time?
First of all this is important for me in Logic.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you for explaining, but when doing this, the sound is only in the headphones output. Is there a way to get the same signal in the studio monitors and headphones at the same time?
First of all this is important for me in Logic.
Yes there is a way for that in Logic. Open up Logic Pro X Preferences, and choose Audio. When the new window pops up, change from "Devices" to "I/O Assignments". Under the I/O Assignments tab, go to the Stereo Output drop down menu, and choose Output 3-4. After choosing Output 3-4, check the "Mirroring" box right below where it says Output 3-4. Exit out and your project should now be playing through both the Mains and Headphones.

Other than in Logic Pro X, I haven't found a way to get simultaneous headphones and main speaker playback if i'm listening to itunes or watching netflix.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I thought about how tight it would be for them to do that 19" rack like how you explain, that would be sick. Definately better drivers tho because 10ms sounds a lot for latency. Im tripping tho because I seen one video of a guy from Aphex saying it was capable to have 2ms latency...i dont know
I'm not sure on how to check my latency but personally I haven't had any problems with anything being out of sync. Again I haven't measured it or anything but it seems everything is on point to me even when tracking. I have only been recording through one channel at a time though.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I haven't had any issues using monitors and headphone outs at the same time.. I'm using a Mac with Reaper.
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I haven't had any issues using monitors and headphone outs at the same time.. I'm using a Mac with Reaper.
But, anyway to switch from headphones to monitors not using a Daw, but in spotify, iTunes, etc? I´ve tried to change the settings in "audio and midi devices", but it´s not possible to use at the same time a headphone output (3 & 4) and main outputs (1 & 2). It´s annoying having to change the setup each time you want to switch from one to another.
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
I'm sorry to say that there really isn't anything that can be done about that.
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Windows 8 and 8.1 now officially supported

Good news everyone!
After doing some research with our Windows Driver team I am happy to report that the current Aphex driver is fully compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1!
For non-ASIO applications, such as iTunes, you MUST select Windows Audio Session INSTEAD of Direct Sound. Also you must open the Windows Sound control panel and re-select sampling rate or click "Restore defaults" button every time sampling rate is changed. This is also true of Windows Vista.

Lastly, this is for all Windows OS, when working with ASIO applications make your selections for sample rate and latency in the Aphex control panel first. Once you open up the DAW, if there are settings available for sample rate and latency make them there as well. Some DAWs will grey these settings out and simply use the Aphex control panel settings. Other DAWs will not. If you CAN select the sample rate and buffer setting in the DAW, the settings you select will also update the Aphex control panel settings.
Enjoy!
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nice thanks! I did check your guys' website the other day and saw something about support for windows 8 but i thought it was a mistake. As soon as i get the money im buying it. Got a Telefunken Copperhead Im going to buy first tho.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'll add my 2 cents, since one of these might be on my horizon: It should have AES outputs. So many live engineers would use them with their digital consoles, and people like me who have interfaces with AES inputs could use the extra A/D. Again, not trying to pic nits, just offering up ideas. I'm happy to hear this product is catching on.

-Mike
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Got the Aphex usb about a week ago. Very straight forward to use, and for me very handy for I/O inserts!!!! nomore cables or at least allot less!!!
Downside is the headphone thing.... but can get around it... so no big thing.
I connected it to my Axe fx 2 via SPDIF and got rocking right away, both direct and re amping!!!!
at this point after trying it with 2 Falcons and 2 MAGG EQ4, I'm waiting for my Syren to get by and try it as a vocal chain. will let you guys know!!!

Rockit!!!!!!!
Thumbs up to Aphex!!!!
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelow74 ➡️
Got the Aphex usb about a week ago. Very straight forward to use, and for me very handy for I/O inserts!!!! nomore cables or at least allot less!!!
Downside is the headphone thing.... but can get around it... so no big thing.
I connected it to my Axe fx 2 via SPDIF and got rocking right away, both direct and re amping!!!!
at this point after trying it with 2 Falcons and 2 MAGG EQ4, I'm waiting for my Syren to get by and try it as a vocal chain. will let you guys know!!!

Rockit!!!!!!!
Thumbs up to Aphex!!!!

Out of curiosity: do you use your pair of falcons on the 2-buss?
I'll get mine tomorrow and then setup my vocal chain with a heritage 73 jr in the Aphex 500 - will report as well
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGearRow ➡️
Out of curiosity: do you use your pair of falcons on the 2-buss?
I'll get mine tomorrow and then setup my vocal chain with a heritage 73 jr in the Aphex 500 - will report as well
On Vocal it is really really great!!!!! Bass too!!!!!!!
I got a pair for drum buss and as soon as I can I will be trying on the mix buss.
not sure it will work, but I have a good feeling about it!!!!!

PS. I will be using the Syren too this monday!!!!!! nasty!!!!!!
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm looking for help on i/o plugin insert of logic x.
When i insert a i/o hardware via aphex usb, i get a gain drop of more then 12 db!!!!!
With my uln-2 this doesn't happen.
Since there are no cables involved ( running through usb ) it can't be balanced or unbalance inputs or outputs nor phase or polarity.
Help!?!?!

Edit: silly me.... Master output gain was down.... Epic fail!
Ciao
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Back again!
Question on link mode:
If I put link mode on for both 1-2 and 3-4, when I feed a stereo track to 1-2 can I pass the signal to 3-4 ( 1 -> 3 and 2 -> 4) without patching?
Peace!
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
No. First off, I think you're using the phrase "linking" when you should be using the phrase "chaining." Linking is only for stereo linking two compressors that HAVE linking features. Like the Aphex COMP 500 module. You must engage the linking feature on the modules as well as the link switches on the USB 500 RACK.
With "chaining" you're running the output of the previous module to the input of the current module. Meaning you can only go from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.
What you can do is send the left side in to module 1 then chain the output in to module 2. Send the right side in to module 3 and chain the output in to module 4.
Example:
SLOT 1=Compressor
SLOT 2= EQ
SLOT 3=Compressor
SLOT 4=EQ
However, this doesn't allow for any stereo linking of the compressors. For that you'd have to load the compressors in slot 1&2 and the EQs in to slot 3&4. Engage the linking functions and use patch cables from the outputs of 1&2 to the inputs of 3&4.
Old 7th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➡️
No. First off, I think you're using the phrase "linking" when you should be using the phrase "chaining." Linking is only for stereo linking two compressors that HAVE linking features. Like the Aphex COMP 500 module. You must engage the linking feature on the modules as well as the link switches on the USB 500 RACK.
With "chaining" you're running the output of the previous module to the input of the current module. Meaning you can only go from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.
What you can do is send the left side in to module 1 then chain the output in to module 2. Send the right side in to module 3 and chain the output in to module 4.
Example:
SLOT 1=Compressor
SLOT 2= EQ
SLOT 3=Compressor
SLOT 4=EQ
However, this doesn't allow for any stereo linking of the compressors. For that you'd have to load the compressors in slot 1&2 and the EQs in to slot 3&4. Engage the linking functions and use patch cables from the outputs of 1&2 to the inputs of 3&4.
OK now I got it! thanks for the explanation!!!
Great device!!!!! really!!! I'm having a great and easy time!!! Finally!!!
📝 Reply