Quantcast
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 14th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ive got one more question, and it might seem stupid, because im sure the answer is here but in terminology im still having a difficult time understanding. If i have a chain, or even just a pre amp in 1 slot, can I run tracks thru the XLR ins and all be sent thru that pre amp? Kinda like if i was tracking drums with only 4 mics(IF), could I send them all thru the same pre amp? Sorry for the noob question.
Old 14th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➑️
Ive got one more question, and it might seem stupid, because im sure the answer is here but in terminology im still having a difficult time understanding. If i have a chain, or even just a pre amp in 1 slot, can I run tracks thru the XLR ins and all be sent thru that pre amp? Kinda like if i was tracking drums with only 4 mics(IF), could I send them all thru the same pre amp? Sorry for the noob question.

nope. you can't.

if you have a pre amp in slot one, that is just a pre amp in slot one.

slots 2,3, and 4 are still open if you want to use the open xlr inputs.. but unless you had a module in there, they would just be line-ins. if you had external pre amps somewhere else, you could use those and route your other mics into slots 2, 3, and 4

but I just want to throw out there for anyone wondering similar things about this unit: no, it can't do stuff like that. BUT that isn't weird and shouldn't be a selling/breaking point on the unit. At all. Because I don't know any unit that could do that. This is definitely a great unit, definitely has a lot of good features, but it is not a magic box that can route anything to anything and anywhere you want. I'm actually glad it has some boundaries otherwise it would become too overwhelming to manage.

I guess for folks who are fairly new to interfaces might associate seeing an xlr input on an interface to be a sign that there must be a built in preamp that would engage when you plug something into it. But this is not the case.
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenwarren ➑️
Ah crap, slipped my mind haha, sorry y'all. And okay madhermit, I'll post next week.
Did a listen. I cannot reliably tell the difference between them when just listening and someone else is switching between them. They are all useable. So I figured I would listen to the tops/beginning of each sample - before the song kicks in.

I did notice that the noise in sample A of the Beck song seems a lot higher than the others, and has a different character.
Sample C of the Beck song seems to almost have a distortion in the noise compared to the rest.
The others all seem pretty similar. (I am talking about the 1/2 second or so before the wave starts)

However, on the Live sample, Sample B seems to have noise, but the rest do not have any. I found that odd. Sounds almost like there is a noise gate. Not sure how I could have messed it up. Just dropped the files straight into Logic, new tracks made, no fader adjustments.

I was listening on headphones with the volume cranked through the Apollo headphone output. Pretty quiet unit itself.

Last edited by madhermit; 17th February 2014 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: added "before the song kicks in"
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On a side note does any one know of any 500 series reverb units? I would love to have a solid reverb and a mix bus comp in this thing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 ➑️
On a side note does any one know of any 500 series reverb units? I would love to have a solid reverb and a mix bus comp in this thing.
Mr Springgy 500 Series Spring Reverb by Lee Jackson Metaltronix

Regards,
Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 ➑️
Not a self contained 500 unit, but the Radial Tank Driver lets you use a spring reverb from a guitar amp.

Radial TankDriver
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Ionian, I'm glad your here As I am actually looking into this thing as my Dramastic obsidian solution. Have you picked up an aphex 500 and tried the obsidian in it yet?
Old 18th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
If you purchased an Aphex USB 500 RACK and require installation screws for your modules send me an E-mail with your serial number and shipping address.
[email protected]
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➑️
If you purchased an Aphex USB 500 RACK and require installation screws for your modules send me an E-mail with your serial number and shipping address.
[email protected]
Nice!

I'm good as I am happy with the thumb screws I ordered, but this is first class service!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[email protected]
Madhermit beat me to it, excellent service down to the smallest detail.

I also bought my own screws though and am happy enough already
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here's the converter results
Live:
A = Focusrite ISA One A/D
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = UA Apollo
E = Aphex USB 500

Beck:
A = Aphex USB 500
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = Focusrite ISA One A/D
E = UA Apollo

No Symphony, I lied
Old 20th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[email protected]
Great, and may I make another suggestion? Maybe affix rubber feet on the side too. That way it can be stood up vertically like the API lunchbox?

I ended up doing this to mine. Stuck 3M rubber feet that looks pretty identical to the same ones that's on the bottom of the unit
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack-fr_236_size640.jpg  
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➑️
Did a listen. I cannot reliably tell the difference between them when just listening and someone else is switching between them. They are all useable. So I figured I would listen to the tops/beginning of each sample - before the song kicks in.

I did notice that the noise in sample A of the Beck song seems a lot higher than the others, and has a different character.
Sample C of the Beck song seems to almost have a distortion in the noise compared to the rest.
The others all seem pretty similar. (I am talking about the 1/2 second or so before the wave starts)

However, on the Live sample, Sample B seems to have noise, but the rest do not have any. I found that odd. Sounds almost like there is a noise gate. Not sure how I could have messed it up. Just dropped the files straight into Logic, new tracks made, no fader adjustments.

I was listening on headphones with the volume cranked through the Apollo headphone output. Pretty quiet unit itself.
Just read this. Definitely no noise gate And that's pretty funny you thought A and C of the beck sample was noisy as both were the same. And on the live sample you heard the Lavry as being noisy. Does that mean between the Aphex and the Lavry, it's a tie???.... they both lose??? :/ Doh!!! haha ah hell, do I have to sell both now haha.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just read this. Definitely no noise gate And that's pretty funny you thought A and C of the beck sample was noisy as both were the same. And on the live sample you heard the Lavry as being noisy. Does that mean between the Aphex and the Lavry, it's a tie???.... they both lose??? :/ Doh!!! haha ah hell, do I have to sell both now haha.
No idea. Not sure why on the Live sample, only one had any hiss. And the hiss on the Beck sample had a different character on A and C.

Not saying they were noisy though. I had to crank the headphones to hear it well.

Did you check out the tops of the samples yourself? Does anyone else hear what I am talking about with the hiss/noise. Just curious if I am crazy or not
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I recorded all of them at the same time, just unplugged one and plugged the other to try to keep the consistency. The only thing I could think of with the Lavry is if I turned on dither, but I know I didn't do that
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I may do another one and start a new thread. Just bought a behringer ada8200 because they're so ridiculously cheap right now Interested to see how it fares against the other converters. I think I'll loop mono instruments this time though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Here's the converter results
Live:
A = Focusrite ISA One A/D
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = UA Apollo
E = Aphex USB 500

Beck:
A = Aphex USB 500
B = Lavry AD10
C = Aphex USB 500
D = Focusrite ISA One A/D
E = UA Apollo

No Symphony, I lied
Thanks so much for doing this. I actually thought the aphex was the worst. The Lavry sounded amazing and I felt really added something special to the signal. I also felt the apollo and ISA were the closest to the source.

I understand the 500 rack is useable, but i personally don't own any 500 modules yet and the conversion quality is not there yet for me. I would not mind paying more for better quality personally. Even double the price for a rack with better conversion and more slots as the idea and concept is awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I may do another one and start a new thread. Just bought a behringer ada8200 because they're so ridiculously cheap right now Interested to see how it fares against the other converters. I think I'll loop mono instruments this time though.
Do it! Sounds good
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey guys I got this unit and when I plug it into my mac only the main outputs works but not Headphone 1 or Headphone 2, no sound what so ever. I've tried multiple headphones. I understood it was plug and play operation with Mavericks. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, which I don't think I could be since all it calls for is plugging in the USB, or if I received a defective unit, which is what i'm guessing. Any info would be very helpful
Old 22nd February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrec ➑️
Hey guys I got this unit and when I plug it into my mac only the main outputs works but not Headphone 1 or Headphone 2, no sound what so ever. I've tried multiple headphones. I understood it was plug and play operation with Mavericks. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, which I don't think I could be since all it calls for is plugging in the USB, or if I received a defective unit, which is what i'm guessing. Any info would be very helpful
Hi there, sorry I completely forgot about that- when I first plugged my unit in I had the same issue. Not sure what DAW you are using - I have Reaper and I had to click on the Master Fader and add the headphone outputs as "hardware outs" as it defaulted to "monitor outs" - quick and easy fix.

At first I thought "I wish all outputs were just automatically on" but then I thought about it and it actually makes the unit more versatile to be able to set particular tracks to particular outputs..

Not sure where the setting would be found in Logic, Garageband, Protools, Audacity, Mixbus, Etc. but I'm sure its just a matter of changing a setting in your daw, not a hardware problem!

Hope that helps, let us know if you're still having trouble
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm using Logic Pro X. The only way I can get audio through the headphones is to play a file within Logic and then route the audio outputs to 3-4. Other than that, if i'm listening to iTunes or playing audio from the internet, only the Main Outputs on the back of the unit will work, but not the headphones. I've had a few other USB interfaces and their headphone outputs would always work alongside their main outputs when playing any type of audio from the computer.
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Aphex emailed me back quickly and explained it has to be routed via Audio MIDI Setup to choose computer audio playback between the Main Outs 1 & 2 to the headphone outs 3 & 4. It differs in that way from my past USB interfaces but I'll still be keeping the USB Rack.
Old 24th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Have any of you guys used your USB 500 RACK with an iPad and iOS7?
Any issues?
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Everyone,
In reading some other threads on Apple computers I've come to find that there seems to be some serious issues with new Macs concerning USB audio as well as problems with Fusion Drives. If you're looking in to picking up a new Mac, you may want to wait. Below is an update from Apogee on the subject:

OK, here's the update!

As some people have already deduced, the problems detailed in this thread have two separate causes:
1) The "Fusion Drive" issue, affecting new iMacs with a Fusion Drive installed.
2) The "USB Audio" issue, also affecting the iMacs as well as other new "Haswell" computers like MacBook Pros / Airs.

The Fusion Drive problem has been addressed by Apple directly, and the upcoming version of OS X - 10.9.2 - includes a fix. As mentioned above, there is a beta version available now, but you must be a member of their developer program to obtain it legally.

For some people the OS X update will fix their audio interface problems completely. Others with "Haswell" Macs may still be experiencing disconnects/distortion due to the separate USB Audio issue.

Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-imacs-12.html

Mac OS X 10.9.2 is now available. Hopefully this will take care of the issues.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have four 500 units: 2 x Neve 1073lb, 1073lbEQ and 2264Alb
The 1073EQ and the 2264 compressor will be inserted between the input and output of the preamp 1 (no linking on the backside of USB-rack needed).
My question is:
What will happend with the EQ- and compressors inputs and outputs?
The EQ is already linked to the first preamp internaly. What happends if I send the preamp 2 signal trough the same EQ?
Is it possible to have the same EQ on two different signals?

Last edited by ErosBlodoks; 5th March 2014 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any news for future updates or new products related? Im really looking to buy one of these. Shes a beauty. Is Windows 8 support in the plans (I hope to end up getting a different pc or a mac soon but i cant wait)? Or is another version of this rack with a few more spaces in the works?
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm still very happy with my unit. Definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

However, IF there are refinements being made to future models or any brainstorming going on regarding "bigger rack units" ... if more-slot units weren't an option on the table, perhaps just as cool (maybe cooler in some cases) would be an ADAT in/out that would allow you to add another 500usb / link them together?

I know a lot of interfaces allow adat in that allows you to add on 8 more inputs/pres .. but what if you could use that adat to add on 4-8 more 500 units?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Also for future releases please add individual on off buttons. People will rave about this simple feature. I too am very happy with my unit!!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErosBlodoks ➑️
I have four 500 units: 2 x Neve 1073lb, 1073lbEQ and 2264Alb
The 1073EQ and the 2264 compressor will be inserted between the input and output of the preamp 1 (no linking on the backside of USB-rack needed).
My question is:
What will happend with the EQ- and compressors inputs and outputs?
The EQ is already linked to the first preamp internaly. What happends if I send the preamp 2 signal trough the same EQ?
Is it possible to have the same EQ on two different signals?
No. Can't be done.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➑️
Any news for future updates or new products related? Im really looking to buy one of these. Shes a beauty. Is Windows 8 support in the plans (I hope to end up getting a different pc or a mac soon but i cant wait)? Or is another version of this rack with a few more spaces in the works?
We won't have Windows 8 support in the near future.
Nothing in the works for a larger rack at this time.
πŸ“ Reply