Quantcast
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Aphex USB 500 Rack
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=Aphex Tech;9820455]Under Playback Preferences in iTunes, switch to Direct Sound. This will solve your problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work. iTunes was already set to Direct Sound but I switched it to Windows Session, restarted, switched back and restarted iTunes again. With the USB500 plugged in and my other interface disconnected iTunes will not play audio. The elapsed time indicator for the track stays at 00:00. As soon as I disconnect the USB500 it starts to play again.

I also found that Flash Audio player does not seem to work in Google Chrome. However, with the latest version downloaded to IE11 it does work.

Ableton Live 9 works with no issues.
Windows alerts work fine.
Windows Media Player works fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.
The CEntrance driver version is 6.00.00.2530 dated 26/12/2013

It sounds nice, though.
Old 3rd February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
[QUOTE=etherline;9820823]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Tech ➡️
Under Playback Preferences in iTunes, switch to Direct Sound. This will solve your problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't work. iTunes was already set to Direct Sound but I switched it to Windows Session, restarted, switched back and restarted iTunes again. With the USB500 plugged in and my other interface disconnected iTunes will not play audio. The elapsed time indicator for the track stays at 00:00. As soon as I disconnect the USB500 it starts to play again.

I also found that Flash Audio player does not seem to work in Google Chrome. However, with the latest version downloaded to IE11 it does work.

Ableton Live 9 works with no issues.
Windows alerts work fine.
Windows Media Player works fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.
The CEntrance driver version is 6.00.00.2530 dated 26/12/2013

It sounds nice, though.
That's strange. We ran in to that Windows 7 iTunes issue as well in our testing, but switching to Direct Sound solved it every time. We'll investigate that further for a future update.
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In itunes preferences then play audio using : windows audio session. this fixed it for me. I have the same issue with google chrome but I just use both ie for audio and chrome for everything else.
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale ➡️
In itunes preferences then play audio using : windows audio session. this fixed it for me...
It plays with Windows Audio Session after I restarted it again but the output is distorted. I think I'll just have to wait for that driver update.

:Update: I found that after I had switched to Windows Audio Session Ableton Live was also distorting. The solution which worked was to disconnect the USB500 after setting iTunes to Windows Audio Session, shut down iTunes, re-connect the USB500 and then restart iTunes. I also did the same with Ableton Live. Both are now working.

It's still a buggy driver, but at least there is a workaround.

HTH

Last edited by etherline; 4th February 2014 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Found solution
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Thanks for the update. I'll make note of all that.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So I was looking into getting this as an upgrade to my Focusrite Saffire 6, but I guess if I do decide to buy this, I will have to wait for a windows 8 driver? I will continue to keep tabs on this hopefully the bugs will be fixed and it gets more solid. Looks great tho. Oh and thanks to Jace for coming in here and showing support. I trust you guys are working to make things better.
Old 5th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got one of these for a secondary setup and so far I'm very happy with it. Seems like a very well thought out unit and runs solid on a mac mini with mavericks.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
stupid question:
If I have a great river 500nv , falcon and EQ2 Will I be able to make the channel strip even if I jump 1 slot due to the GR?
(I mean using the switchs in the back)
Cheers
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelow74 ➡️
stupid question:
If I have a great river 500nv , falcon and EQ2 Will I be able to make the channel strip even if I jump 1 slot due to the GR?
(I mean using the switchs in the back)
Cheers
No. You'll have to use a patch cable out of 1 in to 3.
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 ➡️
So I was looking into getting this as an upgrade to my Focusrite Saffire 6, but I guess if I do decide to buy this, I will have to wait for a windows 8 driver? I will continue to keep tabs on this hopefully the bugs will be fixed and it gets more solid. Looks great tho. Oh and thanks to Jace for coming in here and showing support. I trust you guys are working to make things better.
I'm happy to help. Yes, if you must use a Windows 8 computer, it will be best to wait until we offer full support for Windows 8.
Old 10th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Got mine today… about to try it on a session. The build quality is fantastic! Solid as a rock. If it works as well as it looks/ feels, this is an absolute winner!
Old 11th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi ➡️
Got mine today… about to try it on a session. The build quality is fantastic! Solid as a rock. If it works as well as it looks/ feels, this is an absolute winner!
Best of luck my friend. Let us know how it goes for you.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➡️
Got mine today…

Seems nice and solid. Some of the paint looks like it might have not been applied properly though. A couple of spots have a slightly shiny and somewhat sticky finish where the rest of the box is satin/flat. (You can't see it in the picture.)

I haven't fired it up yet. No time as of now.

Edit: Just noticed the knobs on my two Brute's are different colors. This is the first time I had them in a rack at the same time.
This post really makes me think we should start a "show us your Aphex500usb thread" to show off how different people have loaded it up and what cool 500 units you've decided to use in it. Maybe even better - show a picture of your unit setup AND a description of how YOU are using it. Might inspire each other to see new potential ways to use your unit!

Might be cool.. just sayin'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timx1386 ➡️
This post really makes me think we should start a "show us your Aphex500usb thread" to show off how different people have loaded it up and what cool 500 units you've decided to use in it. Maybe even better - show a picture of your unit setup AND a description of how YOU are using it. Might inspire each other to see new potential ways to use your unit!

Might be cool.. just sayin'
Done…

Show us your Aphex 500USB!!!
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Aphex Tech, I have a question.
Two of these units can be used together thanks to Mac OSX' Aggregate function.
What about incorporating into my existing set up, which is a Lynx Aurora?

I love the portability the USB 500 offers, but it's a missed opportunity if I can't use it to increase the track count in my home studio, or plug it into the system in my local studio.
Old 12th February 2014 | Show parent
Aphex Tech
You shouldn't have a problem aggregating the USB 500 RACK with any other interface within Audio MIDI Setup on a Mac.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You shouldn't have a problem aggregating the USB 500 RACK with any other interface within Audio MIDI Setup on a Mac.
This. Is. AWESOME!!!
Aphex Tech
Just a heads up guys, I've created a few videos to help you out.
This link will take you to the USB 500 RACK product page on the Aphex website.
USB 500 Rack | Aphex Electronics
If you click on the OVERVIEW tab and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a video called USB 500 RACK DEFINED. If you're thinking of buying the product, this video should clear up what it can and cannot do.
If you click on the RESOURCES tab, you'll find 4 short videos that explain how to set the switches on the rear panel for different applications.
I hope you find these helpful.
As always, you can E-mail us at [email protected]
or call us at 818-767-2929 and ask for tech support.
Old 12th February 2014
Sen
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
So consensus so far is, that it works a bit better on Macs than PCs..? Would you guys agree?
Thanks
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sen-

Not sure about Windows but I have had zero issues using it with Mac products. Just plug it in and it works. Doesn't get much better than that! Actually, as soon as the 500usb showed up, I felt like it was a piece of gear I had owned / used for a long time. I found it very natural/intuitive.

Although I rarely have had issues with interfaces and Macs- I think the Focusrite Scarlet was the only device that was buggy on a Mac for me.

One cool thing I "discovered" with this unit is that if you set up a chain (example: pre feeding into a comp and maybe an eq) and you have that porting to one track/input in your daw, you can also route the output of the pre on a separate track. Great for A/Bing what a hardware comp/eq is actually doing to the signal on a whole track.
Old 13th February 2014 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sen-

Not sure about Windows but I have had zero issues using it with Mac products. Just plug it in and it works. Doesn't get much better than that! Actually, as soon as the 500usb showed up, I felt like it was a piece of gear I had owned / used for a long time. I found it very natural/intuitive.

Although I rarely have had issues with interfaces and Macs- I think the Focusrite Scarlet was the only device that was buggy on a Mac for me.

One cool thing I "discovered" with this unit is that if you set up a chain (example: pre feeding into a comp and maybe an eq) and you have that porting to one track/input in your daw, you can also route the output of the pre on a separate track. Great for A/Bing what a hardware comp/eq is actually doing to the signal on a whole track.
Thanks timx
So in your last paragraph, are you saying you can kind of SPLIT the signal just after the pre, so you have the pre-amped signal running into the DAW from line-out1 and then the pre-amped(slot 1) compressed(slot 2) and EQ-ed (slot 3) signal running into the DAW from line-out 3? (or just preamped+compressed out of line-out 2).
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I haven't tried it with 3 units yet, but I was adding a track in my daw the other day and I had input/slot1=pre and input/slot2=comp. I had the switch on the unit to feed the signal from the pre into the comp.

In the daw I meant to select "input/slot 2" for the compressed signal coming from the pre but accidentally set it on "input/slot 1" and was getting the signal from the pre. for the heck of it, I left the input 1 (pre) on track 1, and opened a new track with input2 selected and so was getting :

Track1 (input1 - signal from the pre)
track 2 (input2 - signal from the comp which originally came from the pre in input1)

It was cool because I 'muted' track 1 (the dry pre signal) and then after tracking, I was able to alternate between the dry and compressed tracks to a/b the difference of what the comp was actually doing to the signal.

does that make sense?

I'm not sure that this is how the unit was designed to work but thats what I was getting anyway.

---

Also you can have it set up so that if you have a chain of 3-4 units, the middle units can be used as extra line-ins . Its kind of a lot to wrap your head around.. but once you start actually using it and not over-thinking it, thats when I realized what a great unit it was.
Hope that helps
Aphex Tech
Quote:
I haven't tried it with 3 units yet, but I was adding a track in my daw the other day and I had input/slot1=pre and input/slot2=comp. I had the switch on the unit to feed the signal from the pre into the comp.

In the daw I meant to select "input/slot 2" for the compressed signal coming from the pre but accidentally set it on "input/slot 1" and was getting the signal from the pre. for the heck of it, I left the input 1 (pre) on track 1, and opened a new track with input2 selected and so was getting :

track 2 (input2 - signal from the comp which originally came from the pre in input1)

It was cool because I 'muted' track 1 (the dry pre signal) and then after tracking, I was able to alternate between the dry and compressed tracks to a/b the difference of what the comp was actually doing to the signal.

does that make sense?

I'm not sure that this is how the unit was designed to work but thats what I was getting anyway.

---

Also you can have it set up so that if you have a chain of 3-4 units, the middle units can be used as extra line-ins . Its kind of a lot to wrap your head around.. but once you start actually using it and not over-thinking it, thats when I realized what a great unit it was.
Hope that helps
Very cool. Yes, it's supposed to work that way. You can always record the output of each module slot. Fill it up with a mic pre and 3 processors, chain them for a channel strip and then record the output of each module to a separate track. You can see what each processor adds to the sound.
You had said "It's kind of hard to wrap your head around."
That's exactly why I made that USB 500 RACK-DEFINED video. Because these features have never been combined in to one product before, it can take a few minutes to grasp the concept of what it does.
Thanks very much for the kind words though. I'm glad you're diggin' it!
Aphex Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen ➡️
So consensus so far is, that it works a bit better on Macs than PCs..? Would you guys agree?
Thanks
So far I know of 2 people who have had trouble with Windows.
If I've missed anyone from this thread, please chime in.
If you're having trouble with the USB 500 RACK and Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit/64-bit)
please contact me:

[email protected]
818-767-2929
The more information you can give us the faster we can verify the bugs and start on fixes.

Info we need:
Model of computer and as many tech specs as you can provide.
What DAW and what version# of that DAW?
What other USB devices are connected to the computer?
Are there any other Drivers installed for other audio interfaces?
What audio interface were you using before this?
If you get error messages or the Aphex Control Panel looks strange,
try and capture the screen shot and E-mail it to me.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Very cool. Yes, it's supposed to work that way. You can always record the output of each module slot. Fill it up with a mic pre and 3 processors, chain them for a channel strip and then record the output of each module to a separate track. You can see what each processor adds to the sound.
You had said "It's kind of hard to wrap your head around."
That's exactly why I made that USB 500 RACK-DEFINED video. Because these features have never been combined in to one product before, it can take a few minutes to grasp the concept of what it does.
Thanks very much for the kind words though. I'm glad you're diggin' it!
Just want to clarify my comment, "hard to wrap your head around" probably wasn't the best phrase. What I should've said is "It is easy to over-think and over-complicate it especially if you don't have one in your hands"

I think when potential buyers are looking at pictures and daydreaming about how many possible ways they could use the unit, its easy to start thinking about it like solving a puzzle "how many possible outcomes are there based on the number of switches, inputs and outputs" DONT GO DOWN THAT ROAD OF THINKING! Once I got mine I just said "OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOW I GET IT" and then "THIS THING IS FREAKIN COOL!"

Seriously. Instead of buying a plain ol' 500 rack and buying an O.K. interface, BUY ONE OF THESE. And when it shows up in the mail, and you open it and plug it in: it will make a lot more sense. You will understand. Just start using it and get to work!

I find it to be a very straight-forward transparent piece of gear in that its a small footprint for what you get and it just works. I don't have to do any technical thinking - I can just get into my creative 'lets make some music' mode - and go to town.

I usually don't rave too much about products. I like what I like and I use what I use and don't make a big deal about it to the rest of the world. I'm definitely digging this though. Only thing I can't comment on is the Windows thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➡️
Also- seriously, anyone else who's liking their unit should post a pic and/or description of how they like to use it on this other thread. Kind of a fun way to show off how you've filled up your unit! (or get ideas on potential ways to fill one!)

First person who posts a 500usb unit with 4 of the new Project500's gets a big , because I wanna see it done so I can get some feedback on that setup!
Sen
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

does that make sense?

---

Hope that helps
Yep, that's what I thought you meant first time round. Cool stuff.
And yes, I was aware of using the middle line ins simultaneously as well. I think some guys were discussing/explaining this in this thread somewhere.
I'm more and more interested in this rack.
Whatever happened to the results of the blind shootout from a few pages back? I have 2 favourites in there, hope one of them is the Aphex
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah same here, it's been 4 weeks already!
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hope he holds off till next week. I haven't had a chance to sit down with them for a good listen. I want to do that thiss weekend.
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ah crap, slipped my mind haha, sorry y'all. And okay madhermit, I'll post next week.
📝 Reply