The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Introduces the Prophet 12!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krubbadoo ➡️
Nice features but doesn't sound full
You must be joking right? It might not sound "analog", but it's very powerful!!
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Watched the video - LP and HP filters are analog. Didn't mention anything else as being analog. But... 4xLFOs per voice, 4xEnvelopes per voice, 4xOscillators per voice. That is some great flexibility! It reminds me of the JB Solaris (tho that one has 5 stage envs iirc).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I questions haz please:

Will it be multitimbral?
If yes: Will it be possible to assign specific amounts of voices to the different sounds?
What do you mean by complex waveforms?
Will you release a rack version?

And, sorry:
Why did the poly evolver never receive syncable LFOS ? Was this a hardware or software limitation ?

p.s. Sorry Jeezo that I am attacking you again but that big picture is annoying and distorts the forum framing/layout.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not joking. I didn't say it wasn't a powerful nor flexible synth but there is definitely something not having a strong 'analog' stamp soundwise. Still I think with all the features etc...Dave might have created a synth that will be really popular.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood ➡️
Does it say anywhere if it has analog oscillators? I notice that's markedly missing from the description, although I'd be fine with a PE/Tempest hybrid oscillator setup.

And guys...GUYS! Did you see the biggest improvement? IEC POWER CABLE CONNECTOR!!
YES, best feature
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just when I'd fallen in love with my P08. :-(
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first impressions are that, whilst the feature set is unbelievable, it sounds very new DSI to me. Powerful and gritty not warm. Incredibly harsh at 2:15 - must have the Evolver waveforms in it. Really interesting having a nice distortion section before the filter - massive flexibility - I just hope it can sound much smoother and lush. If I want harsh I can use crappy plugins.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When people complain about digital waves I wonder if they've ever heard what the emulator does to a digital saw

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm hearing the best of the Prophet VS's and Prophet O8's sound combined. The sound at 2:37 is very impressive, as much so as a vintage poly.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dave Smith “It doesn’t sound like anything else and I’m very excited for people to hear it.”

I think that's the problem. People want it to sound like vintage synths so they can have the convenience of modern new synths but with that sound. I much prefer the sound of the Elektron Analog Four from the little i've heard. Hopefully it will turn out that it can be really warm and smooth and then i'll fall in love with it and live happily ever after with my shiny new prophet 12.

I want to hear that MS20 now!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's the Andromeda for the 2010's; big polyphony, big sound (but without the shaky support and uncertain future!). Going to be highly coveted by many, the king of the Analogue Polysynths for the forseeable future. Nice one!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
It's the Andromeda for the 2010's; big polyphony, big sound (but without the shaky support and uncertain future!). Going to be highly coveted by many, the king of the Analogue Polysynths for the forseeable future. Nice one!
To me the Andy is pretty much unbeatable imho..will see how this shapes up when i get my hands on it )
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I like the feature set, but I'm not sure I like the sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I Can see a knob labeled FM.
My guess is 4 digital oscs.
I am glad it is something different, now I am very tempted.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
big polyphony, big sound
Yes ; the sound is bigger than either the Poly Evolver or the PO8.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th Monkey ➡️
I like the feature set, but I'm not sure I like the sound.

+1.

I need to hear more, in the demo it was a bit harsh, but I love the sound of the P 08, maybe I'll love this as well. So far I'm still missing the sound of VCO's.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I feel GAS for the first time
And I know that it's true
You can tell by the look in my eyes
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think a "wow!" is in place here.
Old 24th January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
What a beast heh
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The Return of The Prophet! Great sound - very Sequential Circuits like.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Need to hear some patches that don't sound like 1980. I hear potential, especially in the specs, but it doesn't seem like he used many of the distortion effects, and that is the part that I am excited about.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've had a pretty bad cold for like a week or so...good thing my kleenex were nearby, because I just creamed my pants.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've this sounded like the sub phatty i've be all over it. Just listened to the 30 minute demo and I don't care if it's monophonic. I'm in love.
Old 24th January 2013
messiaen
I think although its chessy the word AWESOME is needed...

It sounds like an arp, like a prohpet, like so many things.....could be the only poly synth I'll ever need.....cost is high but it looks like a COLOSSUS

Get that and the sub phatty = years of knob twisting happiness ahead!!
messiaen
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb ➡️
I feel GAS for the first time
And I know that it's true
You can tell by the look in my eyes
I think we're all going slighty weak at the knees, its love at first site for me and it souunds pretty wonderful, I can hear Zawinul type things coming out of this baby!!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Damn this thing is sick. I am going to have some real fun at NAMM. I am out the door shortly to see this in person.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I think it sounds great. Can definitely hear some Prophet 5 character in there and the spec is looking very tempting so far - 4 oscillators (+sub) per voice!

Can't wait to hear more.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro ➡️
Damn this thing is sick. I am going to have some real fun at NAMM. I am out the door shortly to see this in person.
GASiest NAMM I ever seen. First KORG, now DSI. It's worth to go there, esp. if you already have pass/badge.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
But....are the oscs analog? Or at least 2 of the 4? If the oscs are all digital, that will be a letdown to many who wanted a new true analog polysynth. The sound in the video sure sounds digital to me; flat and not analog/warm/fat, but I'm not judging until I hear the specs and more sound samples.

An all-analog signal path is critical to the true analog experience, or at least being able to have an all analog path by not using the digital waves, if desired. If 2 of the oscs are dig and 2 are analog, great, best of both worlds. If the oscs are all dig, this is no analog polysynth. Digital offers much more flexibility in sound programming, at the expense of sound quality. Still, having both osc types would be a great combination.

And...are there any other points in the signal path where the signal is digitized? Guess we'll find out soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Unfortunately my guess is 4 DIGITAL oscillators otherwise they have mentioned that already. The filters are analog and it´s cool with an additional HPF filter with resonance ala CS80.
Bad a very bad marketing decision to go with 4 digital osc´s. Better go 2 analog with 1 sub.
📝 Reply