DSI Introduces the Prophet 12! - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Introduces the Prophet 12!
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➡️
I'm not. It's ****in' gearslutz. People buy synths based on specs, knobs and blinkly LEDs instead of sound.
I must be getting old then, thinking musical equipment is for making music

Anyways, time for me to hide in the studio and do some work
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
no they do make music.... but its usually the cheesiest synth tracks you ever heard.
Valid points, though probably the ratio is not that big vs the actual musicians, but anyway, this is gearslutz, not musicslutz, so...
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know, "don't feed the troll", but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➡️
Alright samples of analogue oscillators if you want to be picky You know what I mean.
a) analogue VCO = one thing. excellent for mono

b) analogue DCO = one different thing, EXCELLENT for poly (better, easier to make good poly sounds, than VCO, IMHO)

c) digital oscillator = a different thing, excellent for different sounds

d) Virtual analogue oscillator = a different thing

e) sample of VCO or DCO = derivative. Different than digital OSC, 12 notches below real DCOs or VCOs. No way comparable to the real thing.

In my universe:

a & b > d > e

c > e

c vs e = apples and oranges

c vs a or b = apples and oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➡️
I've yet to be convinced that a analogue filter can really do that much for digital sound sources.
You never used a moog LP filter on a sample, right?

And I am NOT a EDM musician. I am talking about a good old Korg 01/w with a moogerfooger pedal.

Best "irreal" bass and rhodes sounds for jazz I ever heard.

Indeed, I repeat my wish is for a bad, aliasing, USER RAM sample player cum analogue filters and subtractive chain/modulations

I will buy the prophet12 anyway (probably waiting for the module for ergonomic reasons, but not necessarily),

but if it could read my samples they could have had my 4000 bucks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️

b) analogue DCO = one different thing, EXCELLENT for poly (better, easier to make good poly sounds, than VCO, IMHO)

e) sample of VCO or DCO = derivative. Different than digital OSC, 12 notches below real DCOs or VCOs. No way comparable to the real thing.

In my universe:

a & b > d > e

c > e

And I am NOT a EDM musician. I am talking about a good old Korg 01/w with a moogerfooger pedal.

Indeed, I repeat my wish is for a bad, aliasing, USER RAM sample player cum analogue filters and subtractive chain/modulations

I will buy the prophet12 anyway (probably waiting for the module for ergonomic reasons, but not necessarily),

Just get an Emulator EII
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
Just get an Emulator EII
If only it could manage serious size samples in a live situation...

The day Kurzweil adds analogue filters to its pc3k series,

or DSI opens its digital section to samples,

I'll be happy
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
>I've yet to be convinced that a analogue filter can really do that much for digital sound sources.

Depends on the actual filter/synth. The DSS-1's analog filter is a monster and highly regarded.

Digital filters can sound great too - Z1, Virus, AN-1, a ton of VSTIs, etc....

I use analog, VA, digital, hybrid and what ever else I can get my hands on.

That said, my preference is digital and hybrid. The variety of tonal possibilities, features, polyphony, multi-mode filtering, effects, cost, etc. far outways just simply having a basic a pure analog signal path monophonic or low poly count per cost and space.

Everyone is giddy over the re-release of the MS-20. I think its cool too, but I rather use the VST with polyphonic capabilities, patch memory and cost. Its close enough all things considered.

The guy who did this demo for the Prophet 12 confirms what the osc are:

"To confirm digital oscillators that are fully sweepable with wavetables and standard waveforms."

Im sure the wavetables/samples include standard analog waveshapes too so creating analog style sounds will be possible.

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Hybrid Digital Analog Synth Demo by INHALT - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I played it at NAMM yesterday.

It sounds incerdible.

It looks awesome.

I want it.

End of story.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thing seems to do something I often find tacky in other synthesizers: complex sounds.

It's interesting how often complex sounds are irritating or grating and simple sounds are more pleasing.

The Prophet 12 seems to do complex in a very appealing way.

Can't explain it.

I want it.

- c
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
I played it at NAMM yesterday.
Can you provide anymore information about the feature set and specs?

Are the filters switchable between 12/24 db?
messiaen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliese581 ➡️

I will admit to being a total noob, but surely all this tossing on about whether its analog or digital oscilators, blah ****ing blah and judgeing something without having seen it and playing it in the flesh is all just TOTAL WANK!!!

Its difficiult to judge from shaky youtuve videos any synth but you can tell from the demo's of both the Prophet 12 and also the Moog sub phatty that they are going to be pretty special synths and will be used to create hopefully some amazing MUSIC, which is what they are designed for.

I really don't understand all this carping about the chip sets, etc and endless arguing about whether its worth the money, etc and even worse ****holes who have probably never played a 'real' synth in thier lives, or who say they prefer the sound of some horribly compressed vst coming out of cheap monitors in thier bedrooms to the glorious sound of a genuine analog instrument....arrrggggg, wash thier ears out with soap!

I'm with everyone else here who says I don;t really care what the components are under the hood, DOES IT SOUND ANY ****ING GOOD? Will it inspire me or others to creare something new and original and interesting?

ITs for making MUSIC!

all this seems to be forgotton with pointless discussions about what it lacks, and moaning....for **** sake sureky this has got to one of the best NAMMS for new synths for years!

Go and design your own analog/digital hybrid synth if you're so ****ing clever, then produce it, market and sell it!

**** off and go and whine about something else... go and buy a novation mininova and enjoy the dumbstep presets
messiaen
Quote:
Oh, cheaper than I thought, but still its a huge chunk of money!! I will wait until I can have a play on one, then make up my mind, unlike some on here who have written it off already!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliese581 ➡️

Judging by the "4 pole" button on the controls... yes. At least for the LPF. It's apparently the same as the P'08 filter, albeit tweaked.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➡️
I will admit to being a total noob, but surely all this tossing on about whether its analog or digital oscilators, blah ****ing blah and judgeing something without having seen it and playing it in the flesh is all just TOTAL WANK!!!
Well... yes and no. The reality is feature specs to play a role in a synths capabilities. Especially if someone has experience with other DSI synths; one can gauge what it might sound like or where its limits lie.

OTOH, people who are dismissive of anything not completely analog and so forth need to get a reality check.

And I dunno why you'd write this rant in response to a simple question about 12/24db filter selection. That's a perfectly valid question.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

In my universe:

a & b > d > e

c > e

I know the difference but it will still sound like **** (subjectively of course). An analog sample is still more analogue than a digital osc and you're probably going to record the analogue osc anyway. I haven't used a moogerfooger no but then I wouldn't compare DSI filters to moogs. Anyway, I'm not interested in buying this. I really don't like DSI digital oscillators or their analogue ones are nothing compared to the Juno 60. I'm sure it will at least sound unique (or just like the evolver). Since when did everyone decide they loved new DSI synths? Enjoy your new machine (before you realise it sucks and sell it). I'll enjoy my £2000 heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is no such thing as "more analog". It either is or it isn't.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WNAMM13: Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 - Video - YouTube

New video, sonicstate... DS talks about why digital oscillators
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Dave Smith Mopho4 sounds so much better. More analog and more pleasing to the ear. You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvy2O8y-SWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXXf9U_CVk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T ➡️
The Dave Smith Mopho4 sounds so much better. More analog and more pleasing to the ear. You be the judge:

Mopho x4 Demo- Dave Smith Instruments - YouTube

Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 Hybrid Digital Analog Synth Demo by INHALT - YouTube
You can't really compare two entirely different demonstrations by entirely different people recorded on different setups.

Only way to really compare is to play both side-by-side.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➡️
WNAMM13: Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 - Video - YouTube

New video, sonicstate... DS talks about why digital oscillators
What i also don't understand is that in each video, dave says they took the best out of the evolver, prophet 08, tempest etc.
I can see they took from the evolver (delay, tuned feedback, the curtis lowpass, numeric keypad etc), and from the tempest (oled display, sliders).
What exactly "the best" did they take from the Prophet 08 that isn't already on the other dsi synths?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
What exactly "the best" did they take from the Prophet 08 that isn't already on the other dsi synths?
I think the A/B layer stuff was unique to the P08.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Dave Smith Mopho4 sounds so much better. More analog and more pleasing to the ear.
If you prefer the fully analog mopho / prophet 08 sounds, the solution is quite simple and cheaper than buying a P12. I like prophet 08 very much too, but according to the Inhalt demo, especially the very first sound makes me want the P12 as well. There is no need to compare the two, because they are different synths with different synth engines. It would actually be quite boring if all DSI synths sounded the same. They have used the almost same synth engine in so many products already, so it was about time to introduce something new. I think Dave mentioned this on some of the videos that he did not want to use the same synth engine again. A good choice!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can't really compare two entirely different demonstrations by entirely different people recorded on different setups.

Only way to really compare is to play both side-by-side.
Every video of the Prophet 12 sounds the same lol don't matter who played it. Every video of the Mopho 4 sounds the same no matter who played it. When you have a trained ear, you can easily tell digital from "all analog" and the Prophet 12 sounds harsh in comparison but to each his own. By the way, I own neither.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Every video of the Prophet 12 sounds the same lol don't matter who played it and how. When you have a trained ear, you can easily tell digital from "all analog" and the Prophet 12 sounds harsh in comparison but to each his own.
IMO the Inhalt video is the only one that demonstrates the P12 sufficiently. All the NAMM videos are rubbish with all the background noise and let's be honest, Dave is a much better engineer than playing his instruments live to somebody at NAMM.

I agree that P12 sounds harsher and more digital, but that is exactly what I like about it, and have liked about the Evolver. I am a big fan of Waldorf wavetable synths too, but not everybody likes them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➡️
IMO the Inhalt video is the only one that demonstrates the P12 sufficiently. All the NAMM videos are rubbish with all the background noise and let's be honest, Dave is a much better engineer than playing his instruments live to somebody at NAMM.

I agree that P12 sounds harsher and more digital, but that is exactly what I like about it, and have liked about the Evolver. I am a big fan of Waldorf wavetable synths too, but not everybody likes them.
Cool
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Some of the NAMM videos have direct audio, tho...

What I don't like about the NAMM videos, however, are the constant interruptions to explain this and that.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Some of the NAMM videos have direct audio, tho...

What I don't like about the NAMM videos, however, are the constant interruptions to explain this and that.
Yes, some videos have ok sound quality, but the interruptions and the fact that the patches they go through in a rush are super boring, and do not show the full potential of the synth. The same with all the MS20 mini videos, except the one where the sonicstate guy turns the knobs to help the korg guy.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
except the one where the sonicstate guy turns the knobs to help the korg guy.
That was the best bit!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

In my universe:

a & b > d > e

c > e

Still talking absolute bullocks on this forum I see.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
Still talking absolute bullocks on this forum I see.
Nice portmanteau.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This synth is beautiful, the quality and feel is great, the display is quality
The sound is very different from a pro-8, the oscillators sound
Digital, solid bold but definetly digital, the filters complement the ocsillators
The filters are a step up IMO, the presets as with most synths lacked.

Was not immediate but I,d like to spend more time with this synth.
📝 Reply