Quantcast
DSI Introduces the Prophet 12! - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Introduces the Prophet 12!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
people want a 12 voice all analog synth with a manly massive passive on the output for $600.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
From the demos it sounds very Dave Smithish.....
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksitter ➡️
From the demos it sounds very Dave Smithish.....
Really? No surprise there!!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have now a Memorymoog LAMM, Waldorf Q+, Andromeda A6, Rob Hordijk, Fenix 2+3 and more.
Had a lot more vintage synth like the Synthex, Xpander, CS60, EMS, P5 rev2 and 3, etc

I am very exited about this new synth.
Love the massive modulation options.
Like the q+ it has analoge filters and as extra analoge vca's is massive, but also digital OSC.
I don't care if it has digital OSC.

If you hear a basic sound from a P5 rev3 and a memorymoog they sound very diffirent but have the same CEM VCO's.
I think the sound comes from the filters and vca's makes the sound phatt and thick.
ukm
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not a great example to evaluate the sound capabilities of this synth.
If all sounds are "fat" nothing is "fat" at the end.
Can some one please make some serious music with it?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NAMM 2013: Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 synthesizer - YouTube

DaveSmith for FutureMusicMag: describes features
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
How do you feel about the Solaris?
I haven't looked into that one.

It's funny how he used digital envelopes with analogue osc but is not using analogue envelopes with digital osc.

"The best synth I've ever made" - Hmm
"12 voices of analogue power?" - Really?

Maybe he decided that his chips analogue chips sounded pretty average so thought "I won't even bother". I find it astounding that rather than listen to feedback from users he would go and do entirely the opposite. I don't really think adding an analogue oscillator can save digital waveforms. I prefer analogue oscillators through digital filters like with Omnisphere. I wanted something that sounded better than a prophet 08 not worse. Although I'd be interested to hear a full and proper demo i'm not really dying to hear it especially after what i've heard so far.

I'm pretty sure I won't be buying one anyway. I take back my prediction of a mass selling of Prophet 08s and polyevolvers on ebay! I think i'd rather have either than this. Sure it's all about the sound but I really don't think it's likely that DSI has the worlds best sounding VA all of a sudden when companies like Access and Waldorf to who have been developing theirs for decades and software companies like Arturia & U-he.

Can an analogue filter and amp really save the day? I doubt it but lets hope so!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames ➡️
I prefer analogue oscillators through digital filters like with Omnisphere.
Are we calling samples in a plugin analog oscillators now? I am feeling oh so old.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Are we calling samples in a plugin analog oscillators now? I am feeling oh so old.
Well more analogue than the prophet 12's Osc Maybe he's finally running out of those chips or we'd have another of the same. DSI analogue chips had enough digital grit for my liking. Can't believe he didn't include a VS joystick. I'm not sure why anyone would chose this over a poly evolver - at least you get to choose between analogue and digital. Might as well just run my PPG waveterm app on ipad through my FutureRetro XS.
messiaen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley ➡️
Well with a UK price of £1899.......I shall get one! - pls God make the next PPL payment a big one LOL

Not been this excited about a synth in years
Have you seen that quoted anywhere? or are you working out the exchange rate?

A slim phatty is $699 in america and £650 here, it aint much different once the things been imported etc!!!

I am excited to but fear it'll around £2500, which is out of my zone at the moment!!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➡️
A slim phatty is $699 in america and £650 here, it aint much different once the things been imported etc!!!
Horrible! It's annoying how american synth companies seem to have no concept of the exchange rate!
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Maybe he decided that his chips analogue chips sounded pretty average so thought "I won't even bother". I find it astounding that rather than listen to feedback from users he would go and do entirely the opposite.
I don't think so. It was about time to upgrade the Evolver. I am one of those who wanted Dave to make a new version of it. Although the P12 is not an Evolver 2, I am very happy to see it. The concept of digital oscs + analog filters is one of the most inspiring in a synthesizer, a true sound designer's heaven. With the basic waveforms and a little bit of modulation, such a synth can be made to sound very much like a typical analog synth, but with the digital waveforms/wavetables, aliasing (often intentional) + FM it becomes a true monster with scifi soundscapes that is impossible to do with analog oscs only. The analog filters are a very large part of the sound, and imo define the character of any synth.

I have quite a lot of analog and digital synths, and the best sounding or most interesting of them still is Waldorf Microwave with 8 voices of wavetables + analog curtis filters. Sounds pretty amazing. The same concept is used in Q+, Wave, Prophet VS and some others. Now that Q+ is no longer made, the Prophet 12 is about the only synth of that type available! If somebody wants an analog synth, there are other alternatives, for example the Prophet 08, which is excellent for producing those old analog tones. I have no plans to sell any of my synths to get the P12. I have noticed that very often when a new synthesizer is announced, some people complain about the features, for example the oscillators, filters, polyphony or multitimbrality etc. Maybe this is because they are planning to get the synth as a replacement to something else they have or sometimes as their only piece of equipment. The P12 is not meant to be an analog synth or a do it all synth. It is a really cool-looking digital+analog hybrid synth, and belongs to any serious synth collection, where each synth is used for its specific sound character, not to replace something else.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
Alright samples of analogue oscillators if you want to be picky You know what I mean.

I've yet to be convinced that a analogue filter can really do that much for digital sound sources. I had a microwave 1 with the curtis filter in but sold it very quickly - admittedly mostly because it was a pain in the arse to programme. It did have quite a unique character but too gritty for me really. We'll see I guess.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️
We, from the generation of yonder....
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've yet to be convinced that a analogue filter can really do that much for digital sound sources. I had a microwave 1 with the curtis filter in but sold it very quickly - admittedly mostly because it was a pain in the arse to programme. It did have quite a unique character but too gritty for me really. We'll see I guess.
I agree that the MW1 is a pain to use without the controller. I luckily found the controller in very good condition and it really changes the synth, as you can control the parameters like with any other synth with knobs. I would probably have dumped the MW1 also a long time ago if I did not get the controller for it. The sound is very different from MW2/XT. You will immediately notice the difference when you can actually tweak the cutoff and resonance with knobs. The filters are really fat and give the sound alot of character.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
that's a decent price.

let's hope it stays at that.

a year to save and it will be mine. oh yes. heh
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm really surprised by the amount of negative comments on this synth. Does it really matter what the hell is inside the thing if it sounds great? Maybe I wrongly assumed everyone on here actually makes MUSIC with the equipment rather than drewling over it.

Fact is - it sounds bloody great in the videos (not to everyones taste but you can't deny the quality of it), the specs are massive and the price is relatively modest.
Ofcourse we have to hear it all for ourselves when we play on one but to dismiss it or complain it might have 'digital' components....pffff Get a life or better make some damn music with your gear, that is what it is made for in the first place!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➡️
Have you seen that quoted anywhere? or are you working out the exchange rate?

I am excited to but fear it'll around £2500, which is out of my zone at the moment!!
As someone else already pointed out that is what DV247 has on the website as a price at the moment
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Clueless ,

F U C K I N ,

Muppets.

Make it stop.

Please.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➡️
A Virus TI keyboard is $3k. The Nord Stage 2 is $4k. The Electro is $2800. And as for synths that are similar to the P12 a used Waldorf Wave will cost as much as $6k. A Prophet VS runs about $2,400, a Waldorf Q+ would go for about the same. I think you have entirely missed the point of what this instrument is for and why it's priced as it is, as have many many others.
And may I add that the Virus Ti series is in my experience a pain in the ass? Timing issues, dead midi ports and everything sounds just a little too distorted. Just maybe my luck with 3 different synths...

The only Access synth welcome in my studio is either a Virus A/B or C!!

But to stay with the conversation, the price of the Prophet 12 is very reasonable for what you get. It sounds different from the above mentioned and has certainly more features than the Ti and Nord Stage.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Maybe I wrongly assumed everyone on here actually makes MUSIC with the equipment rather than drewling over it.
Yes you are wrong ( or rather right in your wrongly assumptions ) heh

The majority of people into vintage synths are collectors rather than musicians. The mythology, the opportunity for endless debating ( against/for ), the snobishness surrounding some of that stuff is more important than the actual sound. They'll buy it, play with all the buttons/patch cords, then turn it off and fill 1000 pages on Gearslutz or equivalent ( "listen you moron, you can NOT make music or be taken seriously without a fully analog synth !!"). The sure mark of the amateur ( amateur in the pejorative sense of the word, not the noble one )

Only a tiny fraction of people buy because they actually LIKE the sound, and use it for making music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Horrible! It's annoying how american synth companies seem to have no concept of the exchange rate!
It's also annoying how consumers have no concepts of tariffs, shipping, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm really surprised by the amount of negative comments on this synth.
I'm not. It's ****in' gearslutz. People buy synths based on specs, knobs and blinkly LEDs instead of sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Alright samples of analogue oscillators if you want to be picky You know what I mean.

go over to the waldorf website...there is a comparison between the Q and the Q plus with the same patches... if you can't tell the difference in those examples then you are deaf...

Waldorf Q/Q+Downloads - Audio Demos
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I doubt deafness is the problem.

Tests indicate the issue is much more cerebral in nature.

Our doctors are going to prescribe anti-IDIOT medication.

We have little hope of success.

It is not an easy cure.

Once this condition arises and is not cured before a certain age , there is little that can be done.

Euthanasia is the only real solution at this stage.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️

The majority of people into vintage synths are collectors rather than musicians. The mythology, the opportunity for endless debating ( against/for ), the snobishness surrounding some of that stuff is more important than the actual sound. They'll buy it, play with all the buttons/patch cords, then turn it off and fill 1000 pages on Gearslutz or equivalent ( "listen you moron, you can NOT make music or be taken seriously without a fully analog synth !!"). The sure mark of the amateur ( amateur in the pejorative sense of the word, not the noble one )

Only a tiny fraction of people buy because they actually LIKE the sound, and use it for making music.
no they do make music.... but its usually the cheesiest synth tracks you ever heard.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️

LOL you mean - to use an old name from back in the day when I was officially still young...NERDS ha ha ha

ok got it! I was indeed wrong
📝 Reply