The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo
Old 24th January 2013
GS

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo

“Picking up where UA’s legacy LA-2A plug-in left off, the new LA-2A plug-in collection provides unrivaled emulations of three distinct Teletronix hardware units, right down to their transformers, amplifiers, and aged luminescent panels.

The original LA-2A hardware — still hand-built at UA headquarters in Scotts Valley, California — is an audio industry icon, bringing smooth, warm compression to anything it touches, especially vocals. With the new LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection, Universal Audio modeled the entire electronic path of three highly coveted hardware units — ‘Silver,’ ‘Gray,’ and the original LA-2 model — providing the most authentic plug-in emulations available of this iconic compressor.

‘While our original LA-2A plug-in provided a breakthrough rendition of the original hardware, we’ve learned a lot about analog emulation over the past 10 years,’ explained Bill Putnam Jr., Founder and CEO of Universal Audio Inc. ‘Our new Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection adds tube amplifier and transformer modeling, improvements in T4 gain reduction nonlinearities, and superior time constant behaviors. Put simply, these are the most musical and authentic LA-2A emulations ever created.’

The Bill Putnam-era LA-2A ‘Silver’ model features a fast time constant, making it suitable on all sources, including drums and percussion. The Jim Lawrence-era LA-2A ‘Gray’ model maintains an average time constant, providing a range of ‘medium-speed’ compression. Finally, the LA-2 plug-in models the rarest of original Teletronix units, providing a super-slow compression response and a unique ‘mellowed’ sound due to 50 years of luminescent panel aging.

Additionally, the LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection plug-ins includes presets from famous LA-2A users, including Ross Hogarth (Van Halen, R.E.M., Ziggy Marley), Carl Glanville (U2, Billy Joel, Jason Mraz), Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead, Charlotte Gainsbourg), Vance Powell (Jack White, Red Fang, The Dead Weather), and Jeff Juliano (John Mayer, Shinedown, Train).

Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection features include:
• Superior plug-in emulations of revered Teletronix LA-2A Leveling Amplifier
• Includes three historic versions: LA-2A Silver, LA-2A Gray, and original LA-2 — each with their own distinctive sonic attributes
• Models entire electronic path — including transformers, tube amplifiers, and luminescent cell aging process — for unmistakable analog color and character
• Easy-to-use Peak Reduction and Gain controls
• Includes plug-in presets from famous LA-2A users Ross Hogarth, Jeff Juliano, Carl Glanville, Darrell Thorp, and Vance Powell
• Ideal optical compression sound for vocals, bass, drums and more”

The LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection will be available as part of an upcoming UAD Software release coming in February 2013, and will be available for $299 US from UA’s Online Store.
The price will be $149 for current owners of the original LA-2A Leveling Amplifier plugin.

Link : https://www.uaudio.com/index.php/pre...-2a-collection
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Happy on this one. We all suspected that a new LA2A version would come soon. Now it is time to download and hear these puppies.........well, when the link appears on the site of course!!!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Geez, the NAMM doors aren't even open yet and I'm about $2500 poorer.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
GS

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil ➡️
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lol.... Hahaha
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quality Commentary!!!!!!!

I'm laughing, my wallet isn't
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ha ha ha ha!

- c
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That was funny until I realized you are talking about me too...!
...well I asked for it
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, will be getting this one!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Excited about this one.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Definitely stoked about these. The 1176 collection was the first, and only UA Plug-In I've ever actually purchased and not just demo'd (everything else is hardware). If this LA2 collection does as good a job in recreating the feel of the orignal units I've used over the years, then sign me up.

These MKII versions are mind-blowing for plug-ins ... still scratching my head.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➡️
[IMG]...Additionally, the LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection plug-ins includes presets from famous LA-2A users, including Ross Hogarth (Van Halen, R.E.M., Ziggy Marley), Carl Glanville (U2, Billy Joel, Jason Mraz), Darrell Thorp (Beck, Radiohead, Charlotte Gainsbourg), Vance Powell (Jack White, Red Fang, The Dead Weather), and Jeff Juliano (John Mayer, Shinedown, Train).
I know lots of you guys here love presets but this made me laugh

the LA-2A is effectively a ONE KNOB device (plus gain makeup)... ooh Ross sets his gain reduction on GTR to 38 whilst Darrell is on 33 and Vance does 35! and since you'll have to tweak said presets based on the level you tracked your source vs. whatever they were listening to at the time you'll effectively be setting the ONE control yourself so presets are a bit silly... even if they are from "famous" users.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️

the LA-2A is effectively a ONE KNOB device (plus gain makeup)... ooh Ross sets his gain reduction on GTR to 38 whilst Darrell is on 33 and Vance does 35! and since you'll have to tweak said presets based on the level you tracked your source vs. whatever they were listening to at the time you'll effectively be setting the ONE control yourself so presets are a bit silly... even if they are from "famous" users.
I thought this was pretty funny my self.....
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very excited about the three of them too!
I wonder how the old LA-2 sounds compared to it´s newer brothers...
The first thing I´m gonna do with these is create a perfect UNITY GAIN preset as a starting point for my work if this is not UA´s default already!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

31 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➡️

The new GUI is fantastic looking. The API' EQ's look nice as well (little scratches and scrapes included on the face plates).
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I want these now
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm? the Feb release date means I/we can't use our $50 Jan coupon.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
Very excited about the three of them too!
I wonder how the old LA-2 sounds compared to it´s newer brothers...
The first thing I´m gonna do with these is create a perfect UNITY GAIN preset as a starting point for my work if this is not UA´s default already!
Hey Grooveminister! I don't know much about the various revisions of the LA-2A's so forgive me for the noob question, but what would creating a perfect unity gain setting allow you achieve?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The old one didn't have emphasis control if I recall correctly. That could explain the presets.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
The old one didn't have emphasis control if I recall correctly. That could explain the presets.
Does anyone know what the 'Emphasis' control does? Is it similar to the Hi Freq control on the CLA-2A?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalters ➡️
Hey Grooveminister! I don't know much about the various revisions of the LA-2A's so forgive me for the noob question, but what would creating a perfect unity gain setting allow you achieve?
Most of the time the default presets always have some gain reduction going on - which is compensated via make up gain.
Often too much gain to make sure they don´t suck in comparison... ;-)
I´d save a preset with zero GR and the gain set to match the bypassed signal - to have a good starting point!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YES SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for these!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalters ➡️
Does anyone know what the 'Emphasis' control does? Is it similar to the Hi Freq control on the CLA-2A?
Just found this answer (courtesy of Prosoundnetwrok): "On the back (of the LA2A) is a sidechain pre-emphasis control that increases the compressor's sensitivity to high frequencies (originally intended for radio broadcast purposes)."
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
Most of the time the default presets always have some gain reduction going on - which is compensated via make up gain.
I´d save a preset with zero GR and the gain set to match the bypassed signal - to have a good starting point...
Cool that makes sense. Thanks!
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️

I think advertising is one of the most stupid things that we have in the contemporary world. You can see that every day. Things like these are its fruits.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
Hmmm? the Feb release date means I/we can't use our $50 Jan coupon.
This is so typical of UA.

They give us a voucher, and then limit our time to use it. I have payed $$$ into UA plugins and hardware (like most of us GS guys)...don't we at least deserve a $50 voucher to use when we most 'need' to use it, rather than for the sake of it.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The $50 voucher already wasn't redeemable against several UAD plug-ins, including the Shadow Hills and K Stereo.
UAD just don't want to discount their brand new plug-ins from the start.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
The $50 voucher already wasn't redeemable against several UAD plug-ins, including the Shadow Hills and K Stereo.
UAD just don't want to discount their brand new plug-ins from the start.
Fair point, I just read the small print.

But I don't think this applies to UA's own plugins of UA hardware. The restriction could be due to contracted licenses. Then again I can't really say for sure, oh well.

I am still happy to purchase the LA-2A collection at $149, as long as they sound great
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Universal Audio Announces Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection

https://www.uaudio.com/index.php/pre...-2a-collection
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Excited about this. Upgrade price for present owners is reasonable. Really hope they release Distressor soon.
📝 Reply