The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➡️
slightly OT - I find it interesting that a single mono optical emulation is so much more dsp intensive than the SH mastering comp emu (which i also like)- 4 instances on a solo vs 17... i draw no conclusions from that fact - just would like to understand it.
Seems the new La2a has a quite accurately tube and transformers distortion/sat modeled which is really level dependant.
From the PA plugs I own I suspect the models are much simpler and basically cover the compression and some added harmonics.
Though unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with the UAD versions...
A.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt ➡️
Seems the new La2a has a quite accurately tube and transformers distortion/sat modeled which is really level dependant.
From the PA plugs I own I suspect the models are much simpler and basically cover the compression and some added harmonics.
Though unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with the UAD versions...
I like the compression characteristics of the SHMC on the 2bus/master.
But it lacks a bit of mojo.
Has anyone tried to replicate the SHMC trick with the optical compressor followed by discrete one with a very slow attack using UA´s new LAs+1176 Collection?

I´m currently figuring out what works best for the optical part:
- LA-2A (grey)
- LA-2A (silver)

... and the discrete part:
- SHMC (discrete only=optical off)
- 1176 AE (SLO 10ms attack!)
Old 3rd March 2013
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
I know lots of you guys here love presets but this made me laugh

the LA-2A is effectively a ONE KNOB device (plus gain makeup)... ooh Ross sets his gain reduction on GTR to 38 whilst Darrell is on 33 and Vance does 35! and since you'll have to tweak said presets based on the level you tracked your source vs. whatever they were listening to at the time you'll effectively be setting the ONE control yourself so presets are a bit silly... even if they are from "famous" users.
I actually agree, but I love the folks at UA and what they are bringing to the table so much that if they ask me for some presets, I'll be happy to do it.. Presets for EQ is as equally silly.. who knows what the source is?
The basic reason our presets are in there is that we (along with a bunch of other testers) were asked to test these before release.. I think they nailed it!
My 2¢..
v
Old 3rd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed.

It is indeed a good time to be alive. Thankful UA exists, doing what they're doing.

People are too cynical about this stuff.

- c
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So - without reading 50 pages, what's the take on this LA2A? I briefly - very briefly - played with it on bass and thought it was pretty good...didn't really hear that much difference in the three...anyone wowed by it?
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Vocals. I stopped using old LA2A plug for this long time ago, bacause it always felt veiled/congested to me. The new ones sound even more open (with the emphasis fully clockwise) and are quite appealing in other ways too. Smooth, open and with some nice subtle character. To my surprise the slowes LA2 model won on some male vocals (I prefer faster compressors generally).

I can see why they are not so popular as 1176 collection. These are more subtle and elegant which is not something that is obvious at first.
Old 7th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➡️
So - without reading 50 pages, what's the take on this LA2A? I briefly - very briefly - played with it on bass and thought it was pretty good...didn't really hear that much difference in the three...anyone wowed by it?
Amazing emulations. All 3 sound great, and much more versatile across a wider range of instrument types.

I actually prefer these new LA-2A collection (specially the Grey) for vocals over the new 1176 collection. The 1176 is much faster and brings out more of the background noise flaws, the LA-2A on the other hand compresses so smoothly and naturally.

Both the new UAD 1176 and LA-2A collections are winners IMO.
Old 8th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️
Amazing emulations. All 3 sound great, and much more versatile across a wider range of instrument types.

I actually prefer these new LA-2A collection (specially the Grey) for vocals over the new 1176 collection. The 1176 is much faster and brings out more of the background noise flaws, the LA-2A on the other hand compresses so smoothly and naturally.

I agree, also the 1176 tend to make things brighter which can raise the sibilance to a painful level.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➡️
The silver LA-2A is the fastest one, the grey one has medium timings.
Funny enough I liked the grey and LA-2 the most at first contact, and without even influencing anyone - so did the musicians visiting me, or most comments on my audiodemo-vid.

The oldest one the "LA-2" is the slowest.
If you want to hit it harder but keep more of the dynamics - this is the one.

On all sources I´ve RMS-level matched bypassed and processed signals!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As always, best thing would be to demo the LA-2A collection in your own studio, with your own material. Simply because you know the room, you know the speakers, and you have full control over the plugins with your music!

You can't beat your very own test drive
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️

+1
Distortion on vox is amazing
Old 25th June 2013
eb7
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UA sent me one of those $50 "We Miss You" coupons, and since it was already on sale, I was able to pick this up for $49. Check your e-mail.

Looking forward to checking it out this weekend.
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 ➡️
UA sent me one of those $50 "We Miss You" coupons, and since it was already on sale, I was able to pick this up for $49. Check your e-mail.

Looking forward to checking it out this weekend.
Same here...
Old 26th June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i tried recently uad stuff and i must say that few things impressed me , but some are damn good and the new LA2A are one of those with the EMT 140 and tape models ...
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I finally got to hear the a new UA LA2-A and compared it to the LA2-A Collection. Granted the Collection does not model a new unit so they are to sound different.

The bottom line is when you want a clear beautiful smooth controlled sound on vocals or bass guitar, the new LA2-A sounds the best to me in blind test as well as 3 friends in my studio. With that being said, if you want something a little warmer, remove some of the high's so its not too bright, the plug ins do a better job. The plug in does lack that 3D open sound of the hardware, but again if you need to reduce top end high's the plug in is the way to go.

This test just made me realize how wonderful the UA LA2-A is and how much I want a UA hardware version. I don't care about some old UA unit (as each old unit will sound different with the age of the tubes and transformers). Give me the new, thank you
📝 Reply