Quantcast
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin730 ➡️
Sorry, but I just have to ask this...how close (sonically) was the original LA-2A plugin (the one now included in classic collection) to the real, analog, LA-2A? Was it 75% of the way there? 80% of the way?

I ask because of the law of diminishing marginal returns. I realize a plugin will never get 100% of the way there, but when a 10 year old plug got you 80% of the way there, is it really worth $300 to get to 90%? And another $300 to get to 96% in 5 years?

Bottom line of my post, I think UA would be better off (from purely a revenue standpoint) spending their resources on innovating preamp emulations, rather than these "mkII" plugin packages.
Think of 10 years ago and how cool you thought your DVDs were on your Sony WEGA Trinitron set. It felt like owning a digital print of the movie itself.

Now compare that crappy pan & scan DVD and Trinitron to your Blu-Ray copy, in 1080p on your wide color gamut LED backlit 65" LCD set.

Both are "the full experience" for their time. In another 10 years 4K will make your blu-ray look like a youtube video. It's the nature of things.

So yeah, 10 years ago the UA LA2A did what plugins simply did not. Gave the feel and response of the hardware in a time when plugins were geeky toys most professionals wouldn't touch. Now, in an era where upsampling, circuit modeling, and distortion emulation can emulate things we could barely measure we are again a step closer to hardware in the box. Enjoy progress my man!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ummm...or record through Apollo pre's (with some decent mics) but have the flexibility to track thru different preamp flavors- all using a single plugin.

You can't honestly believe this wouldn't be a bigger $ maker for UA than these "classic collections".
No I don't. A pre emu is not going to improve the slew rate of the pre that was actually used on a recording. A pre emu will not affect the mic with it's impedance, etc. Pre emu plugins are basically just distortion plugins (which have their place). I'll happily take a good sounding opto compressor (with tube & transformer emu) plugin.

Carry on UAD!
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➡️
No I don't. A pre emu is not going to improve the slew rate of the pre that was actually used on a recording. A pre emu will not affect the mic with it's impedance, etc. Pre emu plugins are basically just distortion plugins (which have their place). I'll happily take a good sounding opto compressor (with tube & transformer emu) plugin.

Carry on UAD!
Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree.

Hopefully we see a pre emulation in the near future to see who's right. I think with the right marketing strategy, a Helios preamp emulation plugin could bring in HUGE revenue for UA- it is a completely untapped market.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree.

Hopefully we see a pre emulation in the near future to see who's right. I think with the right marketing strategy, a Helios preamp emulation plugin could bring in HUGE revenue for UA- it is a completely untapped market.
Actually, there are quite a few mic pre impulses available with Nebula. I spent a good 18 months collecting and testing many of them which is how I formed my opinion on the usefulness of mic pre emus. if that's an area you have interest in you should check it out. Nebula sounds great but the workflow involved is tedious and CPU demands are extreme.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➡️
Actually, there are quite a few mic pre impulses available with Nebula. I spent a good 18 months collecting and testing many of them which is how I formed my opinion on the usefulness of mic pre emus. if that's an area you have interest in you should check it out. Nebula sounds great but the workflow involved is tedious and CPU demands are extreme.
I have actually heard of them- but never heard them first hand...but correct me if I'm wrong- those emu's are only available in the mixing stage- UA could make a pre emu plugin that you could print to your DAW immediately at tracking (as if you were tracking thru the real thing) I do just that with their Studer plug...saves DSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have actually heard of them- but never heard them first hand...but correct me if I'm wrong- those emu's are only available in the mixing stage- UA could make a pre emu plugin that you could print to your DAW immediately at tracking (as if you were tracking thru the real thing) I do just that with their Studer plug...saves DSP.
Yeah, that would be a definite workflow advantage. Don't get me wrong, your idea has merit for those that place value on such things I just don't find that kind of super subtle distortion to be of interest and prefer plugins that have a greater range of sound shaping potential.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
We already know that.

I hoped he would say that new "mkII" Fairchild, Pultec and Neve EQs are on the way heh.
And EMT140 "mkII" please.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex ➡️
And EMT140 "mkII" please.
You mean you want 3 versions of EMT140??? I think it still sounds great
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 ➡️
Think of 10 years ago and how cool you thought your DVDs were on your Sony WEGA Trinitron set. It felt like owning a digital print of the movie itself.
I loved those heavy a** TV's. I still think they were the best.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz ➡️
I loved those heavy a** TV's. I still think they were the best.
For their time they were the undisputed best. For displaying standard def content some still think they're the best, but compared to a good quality HD source they may as well be Fisher Price.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 ➡️
Now compare that crappy pan & scan DVD and Trinitron to your Blu-Ray copy, in 1080p on your wide color gamut LED backlit 65" LCD set.
Both are "the full experience" for their time. In another 10 years 4K will make your blu-ray look like a youtube video. It's the nature of things.
It´s funny how VIDEO and AUDIO are still on totally different levels.
While HDTV and Blu-Ray still can´t provide a natural "view out of the window" visual experience, the Audio-CD (introduced in 1982) seems to be some sort of quality overkill for many that grew up with YouTube-Audio and MP3.

The funniest thing:
While analog audio recorded to magnetic tape can provide the smoothest sound, analog video rendered every single taped production to visual crap.
Analog Audio-Tape: e.g. "Dark Side Of The Moon"
Analog Video-Tape: "Married with Children"...

Sorry for OT
Quote:
So yeah, 10 years ago the UA LA2A did what plugins simply did not. Gave the feel and response of the hardware in a time when plugins were geeky toys most professionals wouldn't touch. Now, in an era where upsampling, circuit modeling, and distortion emulation can emulate things we could barely measure we are again a step closer to hardware in the box. Enjoy progress my man!
I couldn´t have said this better!
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
You mean you want 3 versions of EMT140??? I think it still sounds great
If I am not mistaken the previous update was just an update of the name (and faceplate) and the addition of the HPF. Although I do like the HPF, this 'update' is nothing compared to the 'upgrade' UA is giving some of their plugins now.

I think it sounds great too, don't get me wrong. However, if you listen to the difference between the old 1176 and the new ones (and I assume the same will be the case for the LA2As) then I think an upgraded version of the EMT using the current knowledge and processing power would be truly amazing.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➡️
Hahaha wtheck..
m8 pls apollo is some sick plugins dont long me out wheres the download
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
UAD site is down.....update??

oh..it's back..:(
Old 14th February 2013
wo1
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection Trailer

Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection Trailer - YouTube
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
LA-2A & API are available to demo or buy...yay!
Old 15th February 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The dsp usage is quite high on the new LA-2 plugins.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➡️
Which is a good thing because of the high quality modeling.

Well I mean it's normal, not good.
Old 15th February 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Octo seems the way to go nowadays.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
cunning old UAD.....grabbing these now!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Octo seems the way to go nowadays.
Seems to be, and I'm not fond of its cost.

Really hope that by the time the UAD-3 comes, the solo model would be as powerful as a UAD-2 quad.

Or maybe a native solution with a custom UAD usb dongle with a special chip onboard to protect the plugin, so they can't be cracked.

PS : Well, actually the iLok2 protected plugin have not been cracked, so it seems that there's finally a dongle that's useful for what it's designed for.

Sorry for the rant, can't help heh.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Here´s the first audio-demo on the three LA2(a)s!
All three versions on git, bass, organ, drumbus & 2bus...

Sorry - no vocals!
But feel free to thump up anyways if you like it.

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Question

After playing with this new LA2A emulation, It sounds Fantastic! I've never played with a real La2a, but what i can tell you with this version compared to the last...is that there are some similarities. The capture of the attack and grab are fairly similar, but what I noticed about the new ones is that it retains the air and clarity (I would even say it sweetens the high end in a creamy way if that makes any sense) and doesn't sound 'stressed'. The old LA2a would not do as great...but...for what its worth, the old LA2a is still great in its own way because there are some music that wants that grungier sound.

I was working on the new LA2a with a project I was working on, and I loved how the compressor still kept the vocals where I wanted in the mix, whereas some other compressors would just suddenly feel too tucked in.

The reality is (and great for some people who dont wanna spend), you can still make great music without these compressors. Although they sound great, and arguably close to the hardware (from what people are saying...i've never tried the real ones so i can't truly compare) I can get relatively close to the compression and soundthey are doing with additional plugins. In my case, i bought it right away LOL. In a time where there are deadlines and timelines, sometimes its nice to get things to sound 'right' right away without further tweaking.

There are subtle differences between all 3 of them but they are all awesome.
Old 16th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister ➡️
Here´s the first audio-demo on the three LA2(a)s!
All three versions on git, bass, organ, drumbus & 2bus...

Sorry - no vocals!
But feel free to thump up anyways if you like it.

Cool. Seems quite similar between the three, but I like the sound of it overall. Great B-3 playing and sound, btw!
Old 17th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➡️
Cool. Seems quite similar between the three, but I like the sound of it overall. Great B-3 playing and sound, btw!
Thank you!
If you get your hands on these you will notice the difference better.
It´s not huge, but it would be more obvious on more repetetive rock/pop stuff.
In my latin-jazz example the instruments change range all the time, so if you don´t switch units at exactly the right moment, it´s harder to hear...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol they have to sell cards ....ahahah
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
lol they have to sell cards ....ahahah
Old 17th February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
can somebody with a appolo post the round trip latency at 256 samples for exemple ..

Tks
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
these sound great to my ears! Very satisfying to use - this and the a rev. 1176 make me very happy- especially as now 64bit! good times...

slightly OT - I find it interesting that a single mono optical emulation is so much more dsp intensive than the SH mastering comp emu (which i also like)- 4 instances on a solo vs 17... i draw no conclusions from that fact - just would like to understand it.
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➡️
these sound great to my ears! Very satisfying to use - this and the a rev. 1176 make me very happy- especially as now 64bit! good times...

slightly OT - I find it interesting that a single mono optical emulation is so much more dsp intensive than the SH mastering comp emu (which i also like)- 4 instances on a solo vs 17... i draw no conclusions from that fact - just would like to understand it.
Probably just different modelling techniques between UA and Brainworx.
📝 Reply