Quantcast
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM:Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Plug-In Collection-UAD & Apollo
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any word on aax?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just saw this at kVR. Kind of excited, since the original LA2A offering from UAD always felt a bit grabby. Hopefully these will be smoother.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwatrif ➡️
Upgrade price for present owners is reasonable.
Well, there's two kinds of "reasonable" -- the UAD kind, and every other kind. By UAD standards, $149 for an upgrade is, I suppose, fairly reasonable. By the standards of most other plugin companies, it's definitely not reasonable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
The old one didn't have emphasis control if I recall correctly. That could explain the presets.
Exactly.

The only thing a preset would be good for is to have the pre-emphasis (side-chain freq.) dialed in for you. It's a bit lazy - but, then again, it's an excellent way to learn how and why to use the pre-emphasis on these units. Personally, it was the main reason I preferred the Waves CLA-2a so much more than than the MkI UA plugin.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
who needs it ...not me already have one by waves
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The last UAD update was "not recommended" for use with Cubase 32bit. I hope that with this new release they have resolved whatever problems they were having. <cross fingers>
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
...You're not familiar with UAD vs Waves quality I take it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ha ha, agreed. Waves makes some great stuff but if this is as ground breaking as the 1176 bundle was I will pick it up the first day. I only use my hardware 1176 on the way in since getting the UA 1176 mkii's
Old 25th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemix ➡️
That was funny until I realized you are talking about me too...!
...well I asked for it
Oh boy...this is Christmas all over again!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➡️
The last UAD update was "not recommended" for use with Cubase 32bit. I hope that with this new release they have resolved whatever problems they were having. <cross fingers>
I didn't know that. Hopefully they will finish the 64bit update for Mac very soon. Very happy to see the new la2a's. I also believe by their standards the price is reasonable. I figure most of their other plugs will hover around $300. I will be very selective of the uad plugs I buy. Many other developers are making some fantastic plugs that are REALLY reasonable:
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalters ➡️
Hey Grooveminister! I don't know much about the various revisions of the LA-2A's so forgive me for the noob question, but what would creating a perfect unity gain setting allow you achieve?
Presumably it means you can put the compressor on and it won't change the volume or compress anything at first...? That's what I do anyway. You can then adjust the one knob to set compression. Pretty awesome for tracking through too, as changing the peak reduction doesn't affect the input level as it would with an 1176. ie you can adjust the compression on the fly without messing up the levels.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks cool. Nice to see how they make it more interesting and exclusive by offering emulations of different LA2A models. I wonder how it compares to the Softube / NI VC2A, which I think is the most useable LA2A-emulation at this moment.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The last UAD update was "not recommended" for use with Cubase 32bit. I hope that with this new release they have resolved whatever problems they were having.
i don't think so ... i am still on win xp / cubase 5 too.
imo we are f*cked. no win7, no future plugs.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwatrif ➡️
Excited about this. Upgrade price for present owners is reasonable. Really hope they release Distressor soon.
There will (with 99% probability) never be a Distressor. Dave is starting on his own plugs.
Let's hope for a Manley Vari Mu! I want that warm butter!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I will be getting these. The upgrade pricing is nice. like it was on the 1176 collection.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
There will (with 99% probability) never be a Distressor. Dave is starting on his own plugs.
Let's hope for a Manley Vari Mu! I want that warm butter!
There might be. Dave stressed his plugins would be based on NEW designs. The distressor exists in hardware, and UA are the best in the business at emulating hardware.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
well the UAD LA2A totally sucked big time. so this can only be an improvement.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
Well, there's two kinds of "reasonable" -- the UAD kind, and every other kind. By UAD standards, $149 for an upgrade is, I suppose, fairly reasonable. By the standards of most other plugin companies, it's definitely not reasonable.
When you consider that the new plug is actually a bundle of 3 distinctly different versions, I think its a great deal. I like that there is a fast attack model as well. If they are anything like the new 1176 comps, it will be a steal. I can't wait to demo them!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
well the UAD LA2A totally sucked big time. so this can only be an improvement.
What a load of nonsense.

You must be in the minority...seriously. UAD LA-2A MK1 was and still is a fantastic sounding tool.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perhaps not close to the real deal, but it works great on many things including vocals. I have used it on piano tracks with success.

I'm sure by now, these newer emulations will be even closer to the hardware.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing ➡️
What a load of nonsense.

You must be in the minority...seriously. UAD LA-2A MK1 was and still is a fantastic sounding tool.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perhaps not close to the real deal, but it works great on many things including vocals. I have used it on piano tracks with success.

I'm sure by now, these newer emulations will be even closer to the hardware.
have u ever used a vintage la2a? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here, i'm just interested to know.

i use an la2a on bass and vocals. the hardware unit is smooth but it keeps the source material at a constant distance from the listener when you hit it decently.

it will take a raw track that is moving closer and further away and jumping back and forth and just get to glue to a position in the front to back stereo field. the la2a on bass also brings out a bit of growl if you push it hard enough.

on the uad unit i get none of these things happening. it was completely useless to me.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
have u ever used a vintage la2a? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here, i'm just interested to know.

i use an la2a on bass and vocals. the hardware unit is smooth but it keeps the source material at a constant distance from the listener when you hit it decently.

it will take a raw track that is moving closer and further away and jumping back and forth and just get to glue to a position in the front to back stereo field. the la2a on bass also brings out a bit of growl if you push it hard enough.

on the uad unit i get none of these things happening. it was completely useless to me.

Yes I have been in sessions with an LA-2A in use, not a vintage one though. I have also used a Summit TLA 100 and an ADL 1500. I know how a LA-2A sounds, and agree that the UAD is not the same thing, but it does shine on many things, and still beats plenty of other plugins when it fits right.

Recently on a remix I preferred the UAD LA-2A on a vocal over UAD 1176 AE, Vintage Warmer 2, OldTimer, UAD 33609, The Glue, DSM-V2, UAD 160 VU, and others. Point being, that when it works - its gets the job done well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett_Brown ➡️
I can't wait to demo them!
You can't wait?!?! I feel like number 2 in da line up.

Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wonder if this is why the studer makes wavelab 6 hang
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmooveG ➡️
I wonder if this is why the studer makes wavelab 6 hang
I really do hope they address this. Many developers claim that their reason for not prioritizing 64 bit was because their user base was predominately still 32 bit. To have support for Cubase 32 bit suddenly abandoned seems to fly in the face of that logic.

I'm really interested in the new LA2A but I haven't even done an inventory of which of my "must have" plugins are now available in 64 bit. Upgrading software is not my favorite thing to do. I'd rather be making music.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol are you guyz re-buying one more time all your plugins ? lol UA got you , you're lost in their system .....ahahahahah ! !!

ok i stop here to just say : me want to try those ....
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not Impressed...

I listened to Fab Dupont do a comparison at NAMM (it was streaming) between one of the new LA-2A plugs to a real unit.. settings matched. To my ears, the plugin was nice and had LA-2A character, but I wasn't impressed. It was obviously much brighter than the real LA-2A and the highs were a bit harsh. Also, the plugin wasn't as smooth as the hardware, nor controlled the dynamics of the vocal track as evenly. This again is my impression. If you're curious before it's available, check out the streaming rebroadcast of Fab & Banda Magda @ 1:00pm PST

SATURDAY STREAMING SCHEDULE on UA LIVE! @ NAMM 2013

Before I heard the demo, I was ready to BUY because the 1176 Collection is great in my opinion. I compared this collection to my Distressor and while the Distressor only emulates the 1176, the plugins went toe- to toe with the sonics and more importantly to me, dynamic control of the hardware unit. YMMV
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
Rubbish.
149 for 3 completely new plugins is good by anyone's standards mate

Sent from my GT-N7105T
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
lol are you guyz re-buying one more time all your plugins ? lol UA got you , you're lost in their system .....ahahahahah ! !!

+1
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm psyched about this La2a collection. This is awesome news... I can barely stand to wait until February I want it NOW! haha...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️

Not really. I know you buy Waves. For emulation Waves is laking. UA is one step ahead. Plus I can have a bunch of plug-ins running without worrying about CPU power. I also use native plug-ins. I'm really glad to push my computer more than you can ever do heh
📝 Reply