Quantcast
NAMM: PreSonus Eris-series studio monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: PreSonus Eris-series studio monitors
Old 24th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hardware NAMM: PreSonus Eris-series studio monitors

PreSonus today unveiled its new Eris™-series studio reference monitors. These ultra-affordable, 2-way, bi-amped monitor speakers deliver very accurate response with a tight bass and very clear upper end. They can also be user-adjusted to the acoustic space, allowing you to create a more accurate listening environment or to simulate different common listening environments – a feature not typically provided by studio monitors in this price point.

The Eris E8 features an 8-inch, Kevlar low-frequency transducer, driven by a 75 watt, Class AB power amplifier; and a 1.25-inch (32 mm), silk-dome, high-frequency tweeter with a 65W, Class AB amplifier. It can deliver up to 105 dB SPL, peak. Frequency response is rated at 45 Hz to 22 kHz.

The compact Eris E5 sports a 5.25-inch, Kevlar low-frequency driver, mated with a 45W, Class AB amplifier; and a 1-inch (25 mm), silk-dome tweeter powered by a 35W, Class AB amplifier. It can crank out a clean 102 dB SPL, peak. Frequency response is rated at 64 Hz to 22 kHz.

Both Eris models have individual balanced XLR and ¼” TRS input connections in addition to unbalanced RCA inputs. Both offer RF shielding, current-output limiting, over-temperature protection, and subsonic protection.

Users also can make several types of custom adjustments. A four-position Acoustic Space switch controls a second-order shelving filter, centered at 800 Hz, that provides three attenuation points (no attenuation, -2 dB, and -4 dB), allowing you to control the bass response relative to the wall proximity of your speakers. A High Pass switch sets the low-frequency cutoff (second-order slope, -12 dB/octave) to be flat, 80 Hz, or 100 Hz. You also get continuously adjustable High Frequency and Midrange controls from -6 dB to +6 dB.

This combination of controls lets you create a linear response for accurate monitoring. It also enables you to simulate different listening environments, so you don’t have to listen to mixes on your car, consumer computer speakers, and home stereo to check how the music sounds with different systems. Instead, you can adjust the Eris monitors’ response and test your mixes without leaving your studio. No other monitors in this price class offer this degree of control.

The Eris E8 and E5 are expected to be available in April 2013.

Link : PreSonus | Eris
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: PreSonus Eris-series studio monitors-mediabar32.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 22nd March 2014 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: fixing broken image
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Snap!!! Presonus making monitors.....OOOOOOHHH, Was not expecting that.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice...
These look sexy...
The M-Audio M3-8 look sexy too..
Trying to get away from inexpensive monitors but I can.
I don't need anymore monitors, but they look so nice!!
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Very pretty monitors...but in a vast & redundant world of 2-way monitors with ALL of the f**king controls mounted on the rear,what do the Eris's have to offer that's fresh & innovative?Not a damn thing!

As for the E8's...a $500 pair of monitors that dip down to 35Hz?(according to this retailer; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ay_active.html smells like bulls*t to me.

The LF response of 35Hz according to Presonus's website as well; http://www.presonus.com/products/Eris/techspecs

The LF spec of 45Hz is much more realistic.

I took another look at Presonus's website,and between their overview page and their tech pages,they can't seem to make up their minds as to what type of class amplifiers they have(D or A/B) and whether or not both models produce a LF repsonse of 35Hz/53Hz or 45Hz/64Hz
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Interesting.A lot of new monitors where announced in the last months.I wonder if they are good and if they will have an impact on the market.
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A co-worker of mine made these videos comparing the Eris 8s and 5s to the KRK Rokits. I'm not completely sold on the PreSonus Eris, but I do think they sound a little better than the Rokits for sure.
PreSonus Eris E8 vs. KRK Rokit RP8 G2 - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube
PreSonus Eris E5 vs. KRK Rokit RP5 G2 - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube

Our good friends from Denver, The Outfit, let us use one of their tracks for the videos.
Old 6th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunkManor ➡️
A co-worker of mine made these videos comparing the Eris 8s and 5s to the KRK Rokits. I'm not completely sold on the PreSonus Eris, but I do think they sound a little better than the Rokits for sure.
PreSonus Eris E8 vs. KRK Rokit RP8 G2 - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube
PreSonus Eris E5 vs. KRK Rokit RP5 G2 - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube

Our good friends from Denver, The Outfit, let us use one of their tracks for the videos.
the 5" KRK and 5" presonus seem to sound very similar
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
5" KRK seems to be more linear than the Pres, and 8" tends to the same, but a little bit excited the KRK in some frequencies.
Old 10th September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I bought a pair because i needed a second pair for mixing.I found the Yamaha's to be bland and the KRK's to have a harsh and prominent Midrange. I couldn't find any in my local shops to listen to ,but because they were so cheap (AU$249 a pair Inc postage) I thought what the hell, I'll try 'em. They blew me away. Very natural sounding and plenty of guts and bottom end for their size. Seriously considering the 8 inch versions now. look past the price and give them a try I say.
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
These monitors are pretty much exact as the KRK monitors. Check YouTube.
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Based on frequency chart provided by the some nice people on you tube. Speakers sound identical to the KRK RP5
Old 22nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've just purchased the Presonus E8s and I have to say I am pretty taken back at how good they sound . Not plumbed into the studio yet but tested them with a minidisc player plugged in directly. I have used many different monitors in the past and these I'd consider as one of my best purchases already.

In the past I've used Yamaha HS80's and to me these are superior especially the low end detail significantly bigger without being boomy in any way. Mids are good but not as forward as the Yammies and the highs are clear without being harsh.

You can also adjust the Bass,Mid and High characteristics of these monitors so you should be able to get them to sound good in any space as long as its not a box room your'e using them in as you'd then be probably be better off with the Eris 5's speaking of which I'm seriously considering to get as well.

To anyone considering buying a new set of 8 inch monitors in this price bracket these represent superb value for money and they look great in the flesh too!!. How good a monitor sounds can be subjective however, in my opinion KRK's are not in the same class as the Presonus and will never be as long as they continue to design them to hype the bottom end the way they do.

To me the Eris 8's are more comparable to the Yammies performance wise. What swung it for me was the superb low end performance and also the Presonus has a front firing bass port which I think gives you less problems with positioning.

Yes Presonus are a new Badge in the world of studio monitors but in my opinion they have set a high standard with their first offerings. Being a proper Gear Slut lol When I upgrade again I'll be seriously considering their top end monitors the Sceptre range Well done Presonus!!.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Eris series sound pretty much like the KRK rockits, which are one of least fav monitors, I'd never recommend. KRK rockit Presonus Eris sound identical. Which is why I decided to chime in.
I'm sure they sound ok, but to mention they are better in the low end than another monitor does not mean it's better. I HIGHLY doubt they sound close or better then the HS80s/hs8. The HS series is hard to beat for the money.
I give the Eris a 5 rating on a 1-10. Save your money and get into the 700+ a pair range, you'll thank yourself later.
Old 22nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi DR Music, ultimately preferences are subjective, given that I've owned and used both Yammies and KRK's my opinion is based on what I've heard. The Eris 8's to me are definately better in all areas than the KRK's and nearer to the Yamaha's in my opinion. The test material I used was mixed on a different set up but sounded the same as when I'd mixed them which spoke to me about their accuracy.

I think its great that Presonus has joined the fray as they are offering a genuine high quality alternative to the usual suspects. I'm very impressed with the E8's and no doubt there will be many others who'll share my opinion.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My opinion/2cents.. Not a great alternative at all, they all have similar cheaper design/parts.
Will they do for most home studios? Yes they will, most will. They just sound very close like KRK monitors. Presonus unfortunately will use the same technics as other cheaper monitors.
(We did a Shootout for a friend, before I started new construction with the two makes. (KRK/Presonus)
JBL/Yamaha were clear winners in our book).

Nothing against anyone else's opinion.
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueking ➡️
I bought a pair because i needed a second pair for mixing.I found the Yamaha's to be bland and the KRK's to have a harsh and prominent Midrange. I couldn't find any in my local shops to listen to ,but because they were so cheap (AU$249 a pair Inc postage) I thought what the hell, I'll try 'em. They blew me away. Very natural sounding and plenty of guts and bottom end for their size. Seriously considering the 8 inch versions now. look past the price and give them a try I say.

Blueking where did you get them at that price? I've seen them for about $350...
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
NOT Reliable

I bought a pair of the Eris E5s at GC in August of 2013, and it is now July of 2014 and Both are sent in for repair to Presonus. The first one went out in March (tweeter stopped working) and the other in June 2014 (wouldnt power on and kept blowing fuses). I recently went to GC and asked one of the sales people if they has seen many issues with these. He said that one of the E5s stoppped working on the display and the Rep from Presonus pointed it out when he came by. This is not a good endorsement for these monitors. These are the only product Ive owned by Presonus, and they will be my last. They actually sounded good when they were working but I didnt expect them BOTH to go out in less than a year or I would have saved my money to buy better ones (these are my first monitors). I will say that Customer Service has been helpful so far and that is a rarity these days.
Old 31st October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 ➡️
Very pretty monitors...but in a vast & redundant world of 2-way monitors with ALL of the f**king controls mounted on the rear,what do the Eris's have to offer that's fresh & innovative?Not a damn thing!

As for the E8's...a $500 pair of monitors that dip down to 35Hz?(according to this retailer; PreSonus Eris E8 Two-Way Active 8" Studio Monitor ERIS E8 smells like bulls*t to me.

The LF response of 35Hz according to Presonus's website as well; PreSonus | Eris - Techspecs

The LF spec of 45Hz is much more realistic.

I took another look at Presonus's website,and between their overview page and their tech pages,they can't seem to make up their minds as to what type of class amplifiers they have(D or A/B) and whether or not both models produce a LF repsonse of 35Hz/53Hz or 45Hz/64Hz
I know you posted it long time ago, but i wnat to reply any way.

Don't you think that the first responce of 35/53hz is at -10 db and -3db the same with 45 /64hz although atm presonus say 53 hz for the smalle one, 35 hz for the big one
📝 Reply