Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 2nd December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds ➡️
I'm from Europe so no deal.. But anyway my main concern is S8 and not S6.

I also notice you said that you still didn't buy the sceptre, so what's holding you ?

I saw your comments on the R80 thread and see your interest of those as well, would you prefer the ribbon tweeter over the coax feature ?
If you have a medium room (around 3x4m, 3.5x5m), S8 will work great.
I never liked ribbon tweeters until I heard Eve Audio (I've been always an Adam hater ) and because of this and the good work Presonus has done with Sceptres, I think the new R series can be great. BTW I have been always a coax lover! I worked at a studio with old big Tannoy Super Red Monitors and they were excellent.

I'm holding myself because my money is growing (or simply I have learned to spend it with care ) and I'm probably going to buy PMC/Tyler midfields and ATC nearfields for my new room. But if finally I decide to save up a bit on nearfields, I will go with Sceptres for sure.
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➡️
If you have a medium room (around 3x4m, 3.5x5m), S8 will work great.
I never liked ribbon tweeters until I heard Eve Audio (I've been always an Adam hater ) and because of this and the good work Presonus has done with Sceptres, I think the new R series can be great. BTW I have been always a coax lover! I worked at a studio with old big Tannoy Super Red Monitors and they were excellent.

I'm holding myself because my money is growing (or simply I have learned to spend it with care ) and I'm probably going to buy PMC/Tyler midfields and ATC nearfields for my new room. But if finally I decide to save up a bit on nearfields, I will go with Sceptres for sure.
Interesting, could you devellop the main difference and characteristic between a good ribbon like eve and the sceptre tweeter ?

Btw, do the sceptre tweeter is souding like those silk dome tweeters ?
Quote:
Simple question : is that possible to turn off the logo light in the sceptre ?
No, the logo light cannot be turned off. If you wanted to you could cover them with a black piece of poster board but I'd be very cautious with any type of adhesive as it could damage the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 ➡️
I don't think so. No likey? I kind of dig it.
I also dig the blue lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➡️
Now if you tell me that the sceptre are a sort of Quested Coax i'm sold...

I also i read often that the S8 low end could have been tighter, so any though on this ?
To my ears the low end of my S8 is right on the money! I'm however also using the Temblor 10 sub woofer. I'm extremely pleased with mine, they sound amazing!

Quote:
Btw, do the sceptre tweeter is souding like those silk dome tweeters ?
There's no comparison as the Sceptres use a horn instead of a dome. The highs are exceptionally clean.
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
To my ears the low end of my S8 is right on the money! I'm however also using the Temblor 10 sub woofer. I'm extremely pleased with mine, they sound amazing!

How big is your room for you to use the S8 and a sub on top ?
Old 2nd December 2015
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I notice that on some pictures the logo in on the bottom center like here

Personally i found this way better and simetrical. Are those were prototype ? Because it seems the actual S8 have the logo on the center right only.
Old 3rd December 2015
Deleted User
S6's on their way here to replace my Event ASP8's,;20/20bas before those. Ill report in soon. My ASP8's are hard to hear in the mids and the low end is wooly and hyped IMO
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine should be here in a couple days. Been looking forward to hearing them. After a long wait of researching, finally pulled the plug on the S6, just couldn't pass up that deal.

I use NS-10's as my main monitor, so looking forward to hearing these along side them as a secondary pair.
Old 3rd December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You are lucky ones USA slutz, that deal is a real no brainer.
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ny

Quote:
I notice that on some pictures the logo in on the bottom center like here

Personally i found this way better and simetrical. Are those were prototype ? Because it seems the actual S8 have the logo on the center right only.
Anyone ? Because on most site were they're selling them they use this model as reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
S6's on their way here to replace my Event ASP8's,;20/20bas before those. Ill report in soon. My ASP8's are hard to hear in the mids and the low end is wooly and hyped IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz ➡️
Mine should be here in a couple days. Been looking forward to hearing them. After a long wait of researching, finally pulled the plug on the S6, just couldn't pass up that deal.

I use NS-10's as my main monitor, so looking forward to hearing these along side them as a secondary pair.
What you guys order, the S8 or S6 ? Also are your room fully treated ? Waiting for you feedback on these monitors.

Edit : You both got the S6 ok

Last edited by rds; 3rd December 2015 at 01:45 PM..
Old 5th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a few questions about these monitors.

1. I noticed on the spec sheet from the Presonus website, the S6 crossover at 2.2kHz while the S8 crossover at 2.4kHz, which I found odd because usually the crossover goes down as the woofer size increases. Anyone know the reason for this?

2. Are the crossovers for these handled at the digital or line level?

3. Aside from the bass extension, are there any tonal differences between the S6 and S8? If you had them both hooked up to a subwoofer, would you be able to tell the difference?

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not so much, i don't like flashy led/light on monitors. I ask because i saw that Opals have a such option so i though maybe the sceptre could have it as well.
The lights on the Sceptre S8 look actually very nice, the only thing is that they are on the right side on both speakers, so visually it's sort of asymmetrical, but it's my only real complain so far !
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooberknob ➡️
I have a few questions about these monitors.

1. I noticed on the spec sheet from the Presonus website, the S6 crossover at 2.2kHz while the S8 crossover at 2.4kHz, which I found odd because usually the crossover goes down as the woofer size increases. Anyone know the reason for this?

2. Are the crossovers for these handled at the digital or line level?

3. Aside from the bass extension, are there any tonal differences between the S6 and S8? If you had them both hooked up to a subwoofer, would you be able to tell the difference?

Thanks.
I can't answer your technical questions, but i remember have read from a sceptre owner here that for him the S8 sounded more balanced than the S6 but he didn't go in details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➡️
The lights on the Sceptre S8 look actually very nice, the only thing is that they are on the right side on both speakers, so visually it's sort of asymmetrical, but it's my only real complain so far !
Yes exactly, i don't know why they didn't kept the logo in the bottom center were the event is like those 'prototype'? pictures. It was more discreet and most importantly symetrical ( yes i dont like asymmetrical things on monitors especially led or light )
Old 5th December 2015
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Btw Stevegalante for which purpose do you use the Sceptre in your studio ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Btw Stevegalante for which purpose do you use the Sceptre in your sutdio ?
Recording, mixing and mastering
Old 5th December 2015
Deleted User
My assessment after messing with these today. S6's

1. Wide Sweet spot
2. Slightly forward mids but not harsh at all, doesnt annoy you if you will. No comparison with the Events. You can actually hear everything
3. Vocals sound like they are right in front of you as they should for the lead vocal
4. Bass is tight, non boomy but slightly less there compared to the Event
5. Highs are not brittle or harsh, very clear and non fatiguing

**Events are going to a buddy and are boxed up, that didnt take long

Next up, do I get a sub or go for and 8 in a diff brand to get that lower end? Temblor 10 looks good
rds
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
Next up, do I get a sub or go for and 8 in a diff brand to get that lower end?

Different brand ? didn't get it.. If you're pleased with the S6 why not simply give a try to the S8 and get all the positive things you have with the S6 but with the S8 bass extension ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With the prices that the S6 is available for now (gift prices), the Sceptre S6/Temblor 10 combination makes a lot of sense. With the 10 you get extension down to 20 Hz plus the valuable bypass footswitch that not only cuts the sub, but restores full range to the satellites in one click.

You could buy the S6s plus a pair of Temblor 10s at current Amazon prices for around the same as a pair of S8s. If they have any flaw, the S8s lack that last bit of solid extension to 40 Hz. They are 3dB down at 46Hz vs 52Hz for the S6. In my books, -3 at 46 is a little early so, speaking ideally, they could benefit from subs too, so if you are using subs, the advantage that the S8 has over the S6 has all but disappeared, especially when current prices are factored in.
Old 6th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just ordered a pair of S6s on ebay for under $500. I've always been curios about the Sceptres but have always wondered if I would be better of saving for something higher end like the Opals. However, since the S6 are at bottom prices right now I can't them up. The cost would barely even dent the savings toward more expensive monitors.
Old 6th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of S6s on ebay for under $500. I've always been curios about the Sceptres but have always wondered if I would be better of saving for something higher end like the Opals. However, since the S6 are at bottom prices right now I can't them up. The cost would barely even dent the savings toward more expensive monitors.
Get the sceptre by all means. Opals are half hype
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check this link for more info and measurements

PreSonus Sceptre S8 CoActual Powered Studio Monitor Review for Home Theater Use - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Here the measurements at 1/4m (so almost no room interferes)

Pretty flat uh?
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
who is reporting hiss problems these days on the 8's
Old 9th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
who is reporting hiss problems these days on the 8's
Not me, using them since a few months, no hiss
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➡️
Not me, using them since a few months, no hiss
some people are reporting deal breaking hiss and some are not ..I have a pair coming tomorrow ..I hope this is not a problem for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
some people are reporting deal breaking hiss and some are not ..I have a pair coming tomorrow ..I hope this is not a problem for me
I read up on this and some people are saying that if you use a good quality cable you won't have any hissing. I also read that if you lower the input gain it can help to get rid of any hiss.
Old 11th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
just unboxed my 8's and well ..if you turn these way up .. the hiss is unbearable..even at unity (12 o'clock)way to much hiss…but set at about 8 or 9 o'clock your golden ..in fact at that position, it is the same volume as my LSR308's all the way up ..so its all about gain structure.. no stepped gain control sucks..its a small dial and hard to see ..a fail if you ask me..outside of that these speakers rock! very well balanced ..after about 20 min of listening, things started to sound sweet and after a few hours ..I'm in love .. great boxes
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even at unity, I'm not hearing unbearable hiss. It's minimal.
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

They can go definitely VERY loud, I keep my input gain at 9 o'clock and they're dead silent
Old 14th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I seem to have a dip around 80hz with my S6s measured with REW and umik-1. I'm not sure if the dip is caused by my room, or if there is a large gap in between the frequencies covered by the woofer and the bass port.

Can anyone else with S6s and measuring equipment test this for me?
Old 14th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I seem to have a dip around 80hz with my S6s measured with REW and umik-1. I'm not sure if the dip is caused by my room, or if there is a large gap in between the frequencies covered by the woofer and the bass port.

Can anyone else with S6s and measuring equipment test this for me?
Room is a very likely reason. Just movr backwards as u play a sine wav at the dipping frequency. Does it improve?
📝 Reply