Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 26th June 2014 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker ➡️
Thanks for your comments and input Warren! I was thinking the 8's and yet the S6 would probably do for my room.

Michael
By the way, we have that same deal on the Sceptre S6 if you look on the site for the pair bundle.

War
Old 26th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice deal!
I won't be getting a second set of monitors just yet. There are several other areas that need upgrading, first, but I will check with you when I do!
Michael
Old 30th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➡️
By the way, we have that same deal on the Sceptre S6 if you look on the site for the pair bundle.

War
If only I have seen this deal a few days ago with the free IsoAcoustics bundle and I would have save another $100 at your store.
Old 7th July 2014 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSI_2K ➡️
If only I have seen this deal a few days ago with the free IsoAcoustics bundle and I would have save another $100 at your store.
Sorry you missed out, we still have this deal going if you know anybody needing them!

War
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
An interesting Sceptre S8 review:

Prosound Network: Studio Reviews by Rob Tavaglione: PreSonus & Harrison
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry but I totally disagree with him. He is, probably, the typical eng. that like midforward monitors as KRK V series and the Sceptres have a non midforward character.
Old 18th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
Sorry but I totally disagree with him. He is, probably, the typical eng. that like midforward monitors as KRK V series and the Sceptres have a non midforward character.
That is basically what Presonus said in their inserted comment–they claim them to be flat through the 200Hz range.

I would still like to see some hard data from Presonus as to frequency response, distortion and directivity, like Neumann/K+H, for example:
Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
(click on measurements).
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The Tavaglione review made me laugh. He basically said, "They give really good results, but I'm not sure why (and that makes me suspicious)." I am not questioning the need for hard data (like Russell Dawkins stated), but aren't good results what we are seeking?
Old 4th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone else have any more input on the Sceptres?

I had pretty much made my mind up on purchasing the Equator D8's yet the Sceptres are rather appealing, but double the price...

Are they really worth the extra cash?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That fact (the price) and the review temper this choice for me. I love my D5's, and will get the D8's as I get to the point of buying a better 2nd pair of monitors.
Michael
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

That review was kinda lame.
Old 5th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker ➡️
That fact (the price) and the review temper this choice for me. I love my D5's, and will get the D8's as I get to the point of buying a better 2nd pair of monitors.
Michael
I tried to take the review with a pinch of salt as i didn't want one persons opinion to hinder my choice but theres little else available to read out there so went for the equators as I've read nothing but good on the forum. Saved more money for room treatment too.
Old 5th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
on Warren's suggestion i just got a pair of these - he insisted they would beat out my dynaudio bm15a's - I was highly skeptical!

HOWEVER, these are very serious speakers! I will report back in a few weeks once i've done some mixing, but I know already that in most respects these are better tools than my Dyn's - I'm shocked!!

Way more analytical, better imaging, maintain the frequency balance at different volumes way better (the bm15a's seem to need to be in the 80dB range before the bass starts to speak properly)

They don't sound as "nice" as the dynaudios, which are quite pretty sounding speakers, and don't have quite as full a bandwidth - they roll off sooner in both the highs and lows - but as a mixing tool I have a feeling they are going to be more useful.

Time will tell but i really recommend checking them out. As a bit of a speaker snob I would have completely written them off just because of the brand, and they seemed gimmicky, but they are very very impressive.
Old 28th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm after advice re the Sceptre S6 / S8 monitors - can't try before buy as I'm in Aus.

I really love the Acoustic Energy AE22 - tight, excellent punch and clarity in the mids (not great bass extension though). I also like the Focal Twins, good clarity in the mids.

I dislike Adams - hyped highs, uncontrolled bass. Many other speakers I've auditioned seem to have a similar hyped sound, which I just don't get on well with.

Given the above preferences (quick, punchy, slightly mid-forward, but with better low extension than the AE22), will the Sceptres deliver what I'm looking for?
Old 28th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a review you might not have come across by Keith Holland, with some actual measurements:
Review | PreSonus Blog
I have not heard the S6, but if you plan to use a sub or subs,that might be a better choice, according to the SOS review.
My opinion of the S8 is exactly in line with the review cited above in post #125.
Old 1st October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins ➡️
My opinion of the S8 is exactly in line with the review cited above in post #125.
Thanks for that review Russell. Your comments re colored mids is a bit of a worry for me though. Lots of contradictory opinions
Old 1st October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite542 ➡️
Thanks for that review Russell. Your comments re colored mids is a bit of a worry for me though. Lots of contradictory opinions
Don't get me wrong, satellite, I still think the S8 is a very good value and would expect it to soundly thrash the Acoustic Energy AE22 and, frankly, any Focal I've heard at less than double the price.

The one contemporary speaker I would really like to hear it up against would be the Sonodyne SRP800, considering some comments made in a couple of other threads where these are compared to the Klein and Hummel 0300s which I have and the Quested V3110.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10079769-post34.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10363276-post186.html

These are very good days in studio monitor land.
Old 1st October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ turnerstylez Which Equator's did you get? I am very pleased with my D5's and imagine the D8's would be grand! Congrats!

Michael
Old 6th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so after a couple of weeks use I returned the S8s. I still think they're great speakers, but in the end they weren't translating for me that well to my other monitors, whereas my previous mixes all sounded fine on the s8's. I also found them slightly fatiguing - i speculate maybe because of the the extra ad/da stage as the freq balance is relatively smooth. I had the hi's down 1.5dB on the rear settings.

They are impressively consistent at different volumes, but for some reason I gravitated towards working loud on them, which is not typical for me. They can go crazy loud - very impressive headroom. The impression of bass at low volume is great, and yet the bass response feels a little slow. Also, given the DSP, they don't feel to have as flat a frequency response as I would have liked. But my room is not perfect so that may just be how they were interacting with my space.

Additionally, I did find myself missing the extended bottom end from BM15a's, and felt a nice sense of relief when i put those back up.

I'm sure a big part is familiarity - I have no doubt great work could be done on the S8's, in many ways they are spectacular, but just did not feel quite right to me. Could be my imagination but I felt i could hear a slight digital-ness to the sound. I do have nice convertors (MH ULN-8) so am used to hearing a pretty natural sound in that regard.

If someone only had 1500 for monitors, they would still be me number 1 recommendation. But for me the Eternal Ideal Monitor Search continues...!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY ➡️
If someone only had 1500 for monitors, they would still be me number 1 recommendation.
Are you sure? After all of that!? I'm certain there is choices at 1500 that you would keep and would be perfectly suitable for mixing,

Let's not say more money=greater monitors/mixes as a lot of people will be running down the wrong roads.

I think I could be perfectly happy with a set of Yamaha HS8s for way under 1500 for mixing than these Sceptres
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKhz ➡️
Are you sure? After all of that!? I'm certain there is choices at 1500 that you would keep and would be perfectly suitable for mixing,

Let's not say more money=greater monitors/mixes as a lot of people will be running down the wrong roads.

I think I could be perfectly happy with a set of Yamaha HS8s for way under 1500 for mixing than these Sceptres
Well it's all so personal (for example, I really don't like the HS8s at all), but I do stand by my recomendation.- I have heard most of the popular powered monitors in this price range.

My criticism probably sounds more damning than i intended - bear in mind I'm talking about nuances here. The S8s are completely workable, which is more than i can say for most cheap powered speakers.

I do agree that more expensive speakers don't necessarily equal better mixes - after all I spend around 70% of my time mixing on ns10s and little computer speakers, but i think any serious studio needs a pair of powerful, accurate and reasonably full-range speakers, and such speakers are always going to be relatively costly.

Within that context I think the S8s are great value - but despite my first impressions they just didn't beat my BM15s, which was not exactly a fair fight, given the cost difference, and also that i've used them for around 10 years.

I'm probably going to end up spending 3-5 times the cost of the S8's to find something i prefer, so thought it was worth giving the S8's a shot, and was very impressed on the whole.
Old 25th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would have to say S6's and S8's seem to not demo well, but are backed up by claims of excellent real world results. You really can't determine the translation pedigree of a monitor from store demos or forum opinions. I fell for the KRK Rokit trap in my novice days, and skipped the HS80m's that I should've purchased as my first monitor, because they sounded harsh to me at the time when compared to the mellow Rokit's, but the Rokits never transalated, ever. Until you've set it up in your enviroment and actually tried to mix on them, you can't determine the validity of a studio monitor. The Sceptre line didn't jump out at me when I heard it, but that could be the very reason they might work. I hate the sound of Yamaha HS50's but dammit if I don't seem to nail it every time I work on them. Gearslutz is good for learning many things, but learning how to buy the right studio monitor is NOT one of them.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
I hate the sound of Yamaha HS50's but dammit if I don't seem to nail it every time I work on them.
That is my experience with Hs50m's, too. Very good translation. But when I switched to Adam A7x, trust me, translation was even better and I mix up to 3 times FASTER and this is very important!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius ➡️
That is my experience with Hs50m's, too. Very good translation. But when I switched to Adam A7x, trust me, translation was even better and I mix up to 3 times FASTER and this is very important!
I was the opposite... lol this guy is right GS is not a good place for monitor advise... But loved the a77x still the hs8 is more transparent, my opinion
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
So you mix on Hs8? What do you mean by transparent?
Old 26th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you mix on Hs8? What do you mean by transparent?
True to the reference material... Transparent - adds no color!
KRK Rockit Series, M-Audio BX, Adams AX series all add their own color to the sound.
Sonodyne 100ak/rp600, Yam HS8, Event Opals, and Equator D5 in my experience are pretty transparent.

This is my experience!
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
In which area Adam a7x added color?
Old 26th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
In which area Adam a7x added color?
O boy here we go. We all have different opinions.
Compared to the Hs8 the a7x is most def a little colored in the 100ish thru 400ish. Somewhere in the low/low mid area. From my test side to side, tried all positions, all heights tested, my opinion, HS8 was more transparent and found that it also translated better for ME! That's what matters, is what translate better for you as an individual.
The A77x had awesome power and handled the low-mid issue better, dual driver I suspect helped lots. I actually miss them, I'd say a77x and HS8 would be a GREAT Combo!
I'm sure TONs of GSlutz use both with good results.
Focals are the other Company I need to test. Wish I own a pro shop.
If I had the $$ today ($3000 ish) I'd go Synodyne 3way, Event Opal, The Rock MKll, Amphinols one18, or Focals in that price range.
But for $3000 I could have A77x/HS8's/Avantones!!!! Ha
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been considering the Adam's ever since I read the recent SOS review. My main problem when hearing previous adam models was the low frequency representation, and majority of the mixing work I get nowadays is heavy in this regard. I currently use a Tannoy TS10 with my larger Yammies, but it took me forever to get the integration right, and I think I'd want to avoid that again if all possible with a deeper reaching set of main monitors should I upgrade. How are the newer A7x's in that department compared to the A7's?
Old 27th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
I've been considering the Adam's ever since I read the recent SOS review. My main problem when hearing previous adam models was the low frequency representation, and majority of the mixing work I get nowadays is heavy in this regard. I currently use a Tannoy TS10 with my larger Yammies, but it took me forever to get the integration right, and I think I'd want to avoid that again if all possible with a deeper reaching set of main monitors should I upgrade. How are the newer A7x's in that department compared to the A7's?
for an extra $500-600 you get all the low end you need in the A77X !!
My opinion.
📝 Reply