Quantcast
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 22nd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Who else has heard these and what are your thoughts?
Old 13th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Interpose Pro, I'm also interested in a set of Sceptres. What are your impressions after all these weeks? Would you recommend a sub for the 8"s or do they have sufficient bass response for most program material? How loud do they go before distorting or farting out?

Anyone else received their set of Sceptres yet and could share their opinions of them?
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They still haven't showed up in Traverse City at Marshall Music, where they carry PreSonus and are expecting some. That'll be the first I get to hear them unless someone around here already has a set.

Michael
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I went to the Guitar Center in Hallandale today to go listen to the Sceptres. I have to say I was very impressed. I have Genelec 8030a's and M-Audio Bx8a's which they had there so I had a somewhat familiar reference even though the room was terrible. They sounded very clear. I need to demo or buy them, they were setup at a very wide angle....
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for everyone's input so far. I am really curious between the PreSonus Sceptre S8s and the Equator D8s. I understand the S8s are around $1500 and the D8s are around $777. I also am curious how the Adam A7x and Yamaha HS8s compare. I make mostly hip-hop music and the bass accuracy is important to me. I also want to try to avoid fatigue if possible. I understand everyone's ears and rooms are different. I am just looking for opinions.

Thank You
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payola ➑️
Thank you for everyone's input so far. I am really curious between the PreSonus Sceptre S8s and the Equator D8s. I understand the S8s are around $1500 and the D8s are around $777. I also am curious how the Adam A7x and Yamaha HS8s compare. I make mostly hip-hop music and the bass accuracy is important to me. I also want to try to avoid fatigue if possible. I understand everyone's ears and rooms are different. I am just looking for opinions.

Thank You
Bass Accuracy is decided by the room and acoustic treatment then monitors. You can't have accuracy without the first two.
But after those I would say the Equator8 and the Hs8 would provide great low end response.
Old 15th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
Bass Accuracy is decided by the room and acoustic treatment then monitors. You can't have accuracy without the first two.
But after those I would say the Equator8 and the Hs8 would provide great low end response.
Thank you for the input. Getting low is important to me and overall accuracy. Have you had any experience with either of these monitors?

Thanks
Old 15th November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for the input. Getting low is important to me and overall accuracy. Have you had any experience with either of these monitors?

Thanks
Yes the hs80m and the D8. But in my room after spending over $1500 in treating the room. Both performed similar. It's a preference. The Equator monitors are one the best bang for the buck, love the low end and the stereo imaging. Unless it's the modded Hs80m at zen pro, they are awesome. Better punch.

Grab a sub if you need all of the sub frequencies.

(I would treat your room, without proper absorption it spent it won't matter what monitors)
Old 16th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
Yes the hs80m and the D8. But in my room after spending over $1500 in treating the room. Both performed similar. It's a preference. The Equator monitors are one the best bang for the buck, love the low end and the stereo imaging. Unless it's the modded Hs80m at zen pro, they are awesome. Better punch.

Grab a sub if you need all of the sub frequencies.

(I would treat your room, without proper absorption it spent it won't matter what monitors)
Unfortunately I cant treat a room at the moment. So I'm trying to do my best with my situation. I read about the HS80 Mod and it seems great. The stereo imaging sounds like a great thing to have in the D8s. I dont know where I could go to listen to those D8s though. I saw the HS80s for around $450 but I would still have to send them out and spend another $450. I currently have a sub I would just like the option of mixing on the monitors. Tough decisions.

Thank You
Old 16th November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unfortunately I cant treat a room at the moment. So I'm trying to do my best with my situation. I read about the HS80 Mod and it seems great. The stereo imaging sounds like a great thing to have in the D8s. I dont know where I could go to listen to those D8s though. I saw the HS80s for around $450 but I would still have to send them out and spend another $450. I currently have a sub I would just like the option of mixing on the monitors. Tough decisions.

Thank You
A pair of $500 headphones might be your best bet trust me! It how I got work done while I was in a apartment for a year...
Kinda cool mixing on headphones always went against it but works good. Headphones can get you 50-70% after you understand them.
My opinion.
Old 18th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't say that you would need a sub with the s8's. Especially if you can dial in your set up. Find out how to adjust your monitors at a -20 threshold and most guys will say that the best mixing volume is around 80-85db. Before I did this I though they were great, then I got them dialed in and it drastically increased my translation quality and comprehension increased as well. Of all the monitors I've used, nothing compares to the s8's. As for the bass response, no issues here... I don't mix hip hop often but I wouldn't for see any type of issue.
Old 20th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the DT 770 Pro Headphones now. And these sound like really great speakers. I will try and take a listen to the listed choices. I really want that awesome bass translation without a sub or using headphones.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I am surprised there aren't more reviews on the Scepter's - are these still considered too new?

I've demoed Adam A7X's and Yamaha HS8's, and have done the best to assess others' sound/characteristics based on reviews and clips.

While I really enjoyed the Adam's detail (very transparent), I can't help but feel they are rather scooped. Sonicsense's measured frequency response (granted they were not in anaechoic chamber) confirmed this. And I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Adam's too, no doubt partly due to the numerous favorable reviews on here.

Yamaha HS8's just didn't do it for me. I got the impression I could mix on them, though as an accurate monitor I felt they were missing something in the frequency range.

I had a chance to listen to the Sceptre's and they were very intriguing to say the least. I wish I had a more ideal environment to listen to them in, but I'm really considering these.

So, no one else has had a chance to hear them? Please share your opinions! Audiofanzine recently published an article saying they were fatiguing to the ears due to the forward mid-highs (though this is often the case with horns, ime). They seemed to have more praise for the Eris (lower series) from Presonus.
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're interested into coaxial design, I highly recommend you to give APS Coax a try. I'm delighted by mine : super accurate in frequency and fast in transient response, beautiful stereo image, and so useful/helpful. Mixes translate perfectly.
I wrote a detailed review (in French though...) on Audiofanzine (there you go).
I haven't got the chance to listen to the Spectres yet, they might sound pretty good actually I have no clue ! It might be pretty insightful to have a set of both side by side.
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Rotini,you should consider Adam A77x.
Old 29th December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Still trying to decide between the PreSonus Sceptre S8s and the Equator D8s. Anything else with a larger woofer to compare to these two?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
on the hunt for new monitors. any suggestions? heard good things about the adam's
Old 29th December 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Unfortunately the Adam A77X's are a bit out of my price range. I really want to stick to $1500 as a strict maximum and ideally something around $1000 for something used.

I've had mixed experiences with Adam A7X's but they've all been store demos with crappy material and bad placement. I liked the detail they had but felt there was a bit of a mid-range scoop. Seems like I'm one of the few who have observed this so I'm still willing to give them another chance.

For what it's worth, I thought the S8's sound VERY nice. Maybe a tad boxy with the lower bass but can't find any obvious faults with them. Compared them to the Neumann KH120's which also sounded good but a bit less "large" than the S8's.
Old 29th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try the Equator D8's and save half your money for more studio gear.

Michael
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Did just that. I got my Equator D8's on Friday and love them. They seem to be mellowing out a tad but it could also just be my ears adjusting.

I was actually sent TWO pairs of these. Against what everyone's been telling me, I called the store to let them know and am shipping the second pair back.
Old 13th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The choice that feels better is always the better choice.

Good for you. Now you can really enjoy your D5's! You will!

Michael
Old 4th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
-My short review of the Scepter S6-

First, I'd like to state that this review is from a producer/recording engineer/audiophile stand-point. I've been in the audio industry for 12 years, not just as a hobby but it's also what I love doing as a career. I have a dedicated studio room in my home with acoustic treatment, the walls additionally have been filled with heavy grade foam to address a thin wall, for this test and comparison--a top-of-the-line DAC from Yulong Audio "DA8" was used for each monitor. Weather that information is viable or not in relation to this review is your choice.

For me, selecting a pair of monitors for my studio is a daunting task, I did not get excited about replacing my USA made Mackie HR824 MK1 when one of the pair finally called it quits after 10 years. This is simply due to the fact that I've grown accustomed to their sound and how they translate the finished work. While the Mackies were great, they are far from perfect and to be honest, far from ideal. A some-what bloomy low-end, which I had to always consider and attenuate for. The HR824 sounded 'too good', which obviously translate into 'crap' if you think the product is finished. Basically, the Mackies had coloration, and I hope readers understand the difference between a pair of monitors vs hi-fi speakers. Nonetheless, once you've gotten used to the pair and understood their sound, it can most definitely do the job.

For my replacement pair, the other choices were; Adams a7x, Genelec 8030a, and the budget Yamaha HS8. Other than the HS8, these are well within the mid tier category. And yes I consider rokit , m-audio, and many others to be low-tier, with audio gear--a lot of times if not almost always 'you get what you pay for' unfortunately.

The Adams, render impressive upper treble while being 'grain-free', exceptionally realistic. However, the bass and sub-bass region is the reason I checked it off the list. To me, the bass did not extend well enough, lacked physicality, and in comparison to the Genelec 8030a and the Scepter s6 & s8 the bass was anemic. Don't get me wrong, the a7x's bass quality is admirable, but again--in comparison to the other 2, it fell short.

It came down to the 8030a and s6. The s8 was too big nor ideal for my studio, the quantity was too much. Here's a secret, the s6's sound isn't too far from the s8, this could also be evident due to the fact that I have a well treated room. In my opinion, the s6 & s8 sound identical, the s8 just throws much further, larger side-to-side top-to-bottom. The Genelecs are some really nice monitors, smallest of the choices but had astonishing bass, really nothing I can complain about in terms of design, sound and function with user in mind.

So why did I go with the Prosonus Scepter s6.. The s6 sounded much more natural, the 8030a to my ears sounded more 'dry' but only in comparison, both are highly transparent, neither had any smearing--especially the s6 in that regard, every instrument had it's place suspended in space beautifully. I typically shy away from 'new designs', in which I would have done had I not auditioned the s6. One thing I'd like to note is that the scepter does not sound like a horn speaker even though a horn is physically there. Horn speakers have a 'in-your-face' sound while emphasizing the mid-range, primarily vocals. Going back to the comparison; besides the preference of natural vs dry, the bass on the s6 is better than the 8030a. Actually, I take that back it isn't 'better', but rather more controlled. The s6 has this unique sound to the bass where there is literally no 'wobble' after traveling--it's tight with deep extension, visceral, and effortless. Try standing 4-5ft away and do a direct comparison in that aspect between the 2, at that distance the Genelec begin to exhibit loosening in the bass whereas the s6 continue to deliver the physicality of slam and impact. Soundstage is phenomenal, I was completely enveloped and was easily able to dissect a particular track. Hot-spots were virtually eliminated, I believe this is due to 1 of the few benefits of the horn design. So in the sound department, the s6 did it for me, between the 2--it really boils down to preference, the jaw dropping low-end sealed the deal for me. And remember guys, between the 2, I did not choose one over the other for the quantity of the bass, it was the quality of the bass.

For the function and user in mind I'd say the Genelecs has the edge. Front 'power on' switch and overall design is uber clean. Everything on the Genelecs are well thought out. So if form factor and function is more important, you'd like the Genelecs more, heck you might even like the sound more as well. Afterall, we do all hear differently and this topic is more subjective than the absolute truth. Have a listen, judge for yourself, and always have fun .
Old 5th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Guys, I'd also like to add that I received a pair of speaker stands I ordered from amazon, the medium sized Isoacoustic ISO-L8r155.

What a difference this stand makes! Holy smokes, the vocals are hauntingly real, I literally feel like she's singing in the studio. Hmmm.. I don't think I've ever reached this level of physical realism on vocals.

You know what's even scarier? If I didn't know exactly where my s6 was sitting, I'd have a hard time locating exactly where the vocals are coming from--this is another strength of the scepter monitors, the soundstage is insanely expansive with great presence. The distance between each instrument separation is superb.. It's hard to explain my exact feels, everything just sounds so real that it's almost 3D? I don't know if that describes it, I say 3D because I feel like I can reach out and touch the instrument being played when my eyes are closed.
Old 5th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much, lampis!

That's all very encouraging. Can't wait to hear them and have room for stands! LOL

Michael
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotini ➑️
I am surprised there aren't more reviews on the Scepter's - are these still considered too new?

I've demoed Adam A7X's and Yamaha HS8's, and have done the best to assess others' sound/characteristics based on reviews and clips.

While I really enjoyed the Adam's detail (very transparent), I can't help but feel they are rather scooped. Sonicsense's measured frequency response (granted they were not in anaechoic chamber) confirmed this. And I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Adam's too, no doubt partly due to the numerous favorable reviews on here.

Yamaha HS8's just didn't do it for me. I got the impression I could mix on them, though as an accurate monitor I felt they were missing something in the frequency range.

I had a chance to listen to the Sceptre's and they were very intriguing to say the least. I wish I had a more ideal environment to listen to them in, but I'm really considering these.

So, no one else has had a chance to hear them? Please share your opinions! Audiofanzine recently published an article saying they were fatiguing to the ears due to the forward mid-highs (though this is often the case with horns, ime). They seemed to have more praise for the Eris (lower series) from Presonus.
That review is cheese with many holes. I question the credibility of the person that wrote the review. He never states the elements surrounding his environment, as well as leaving out important information crucial for readers to consider when selecting monitors.

Honestly, and I'm not trying to offend you or anyone else; a person that purchases a pair of monitors solely after reading/watching reviews doesn't have a damn clue about sound. If they did, they'd know better not to take that type of leap, you need to hear the monitors before anything. A lot of times, when you feel a pair sounds great, it'll show in freq response chart.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING AUDIO RELATED, especially monitors without audition them yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I trust my intuition when it comes to buying gear, after reading and researching, I seem to get very interested in certain ones and "seem to wander into opportunities to hear them/try them next to my other choices", which always makes deciding a snap.
.... that's worked for the past 50+ years of buying gear, btw.

Michael
Old 5th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Also, generally speaking, it doesn't matter if you purchase a 5,000.00 monitor vs a 500.00 if you ain't got the proper room for em.

If you don't giving a flying F or no effort goes into the basics of acoustics and how it directly affects the way we hear things, then you might as well spend 100-200 with a 5,000.00 budget and call it a day.
Old 6th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Alright guys, back here with an update on the scepter s6.

I went back to the local audio wallet raper store to pick up a few cables for a different application...same company, this time a different location. while there, I wandered off yet again in the studio monitor listening room (I just can't help it). Inside, stood a pair of Genelec 8030bpm to be played at my control. Well actually before I even played anything on em, I frantically questioned the sales idiots and apparently the 8030bpm is just a refresh of the 8030a, so I was expecting the same sound signature.

1:00min into the listen, I was completely blown away. Not the same 8030a I heard, that's forsure. Bass was tight, especially at further distance, now keep in mind the 2 different listening environments. So why the heck did the Genelecs I had in my studio sound merely on par with he s6? I found out that the bass tilt on my pair was defective (makes sense when I was toggling the switch yet yielded no change!). Rare, extremely rare given Genelecs reputation.

So with all the rear switches properly working, I was really hearing the 8030a/bpm at 100% function. And boy do they sing. I don't know what it is about the Genelecs sound but it's entirely special in its own right. The monitors are simply non-existent, there's nothing between you and the music, if something sound wrong of off, you can rest assure it ain't the monitors.

*sigh* I really wanted the S6 to come out on top so that I won't have to spend more money. Hey, it is what it is, they make killer monitors plain and simple. So I'll be returning the s6 and give Genelec permission to dig my wallet.

Don't get me wrong, the scepters are great monitors, just not on Genelecs level of 'great'. In short, the 8030bpm is superior in every aspect--looks, function, size, and of course 'sound'. Cheers. Bye bye wallet..
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Genelecs are incredible. I dream to own a pair of Genelecs.
Old 10th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Has anyone had a chance to audition or purchase the Equator D8s? There doesn't seem to be much news about them out there.

Thanks
πŸ“ Reply