Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 10th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➑️
Well in this video, he claims the same thing ,but to him it's a good thing. So, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-5JPPD3yk

fb
Yeah, I posted that vid. LOL. I have to assume it's due to the loudness of the speakers, not necessarily the quality. Pw2005 said he also liked the speakers sound. It's always confusing when I see a monitor compared to a PA speaker.

I'm really intrigued to hear these things.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➑️
Yeah, I posted that vid. LOL. I have to assume it's due to the loudness of the speakers, not necessarily the quality. Pw2005 said he also liked the speakers sound. It's always confusing when I see a monitor compared to a PA speaker.

I don't see where in that video he refers to the loudness aspect or compares the Sceptres to a PA speaker. I think he (and we, generally) are referring to the quality as being outstanding; the ability to play loud is a welcome secondary aspect of their performance, as I understand it.

To say these sound like a PA system is insultingly dismissive of the design work that went into these. David Gunness is no fool.

The KH 120s, if anything, sound a little scooped in the mids to me. I have compared the 120 to the KH 0300, which I have used for 7 years and found exactly that. The main difference apart, obviously, from loudness capability was the slight lack of midrange energy, such that sounds like conga and bongo slaps were under-represented on the 120 vs the 0300.

The Presonus S8, on the other hand, mimicked the tonality of the 0300 closely.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
ehy guys, today i've measured my freq responce with the ecm 8000 mic with sceptre s8. I placed it in the horizontal way pointing the center of both speakers.

please see the jpg attached,if i see correctly it's almost flat!!! Am I wrong?

Also, can someone explain to me the phase measurements?i mean, if them are good or bad?

thanks
Is the black dotted line the calibration file for your interface?
That's what it says next to the checked box.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins ➑️
I don't see where in that video he refers to the loudness aspect or compares the Sceptres to a PA speaker. I think he (and we, generally) are referring to the quality as being outstanding; the ability to play loud is a welcome secondary aspect of their performance, as I understand it.

To say these sound like a PA system is insultingly dismissive of the design work that went into these. David Gunness is no fool.

The KH 120s, if anything, sound a little scooped in the mids to me. I have compared the 120 to the KH 0300, which I have used for 7 years and found exactly that. The main difference apart, obviously, from loudness capability was the slight lack of midrange energy, such that sounds like conga and bongo slaps were under-represented on the 120 vs the 0300.

The Presonus S8, on the other hand, mimicked the tonality of the 0300 closely.
Yes, I agree. When I hear PA system, it seems to indicate a lack in quality. I didn't watch the vid again, it's quite lengthy. I was more taken by his impression, particularly his comparison to substantially more expensive speakers like the Barefoots.

I've also seen these things compared to the Genelec 8040, which I though was really intriguing.

I definitely need to get a pair.
Old 11th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In case anybody cares....it is at 10:12 when he refers to the PA analogy. His statement is similar to what Russell is expressing. My S6's are still on back order, but I am satisfied with my T10 experiment. It puts just enough bass in my listening position to help make better judgments. The T10 is okay, but it is the only sub I have owned so I can't really compare it to anything else. But, it is working for me. Can't wait until the S6's get here!

fb
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➑️

I think it was the bright upper mids plus low end power that reminded me of a PA. I would have liked to hear them with the high end turned down. Dies anyone.know what.frequency you can adjust?

My concern would be whether they would be so much brighter than the systems other people are listening on for translation. I had that problem with Eve 208's. They sounded great in the room but I could never translate right. The Focal CMS65'S were easy translation from day 1.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump ➑️
Is the black dotted line the calibration file for your interface?
That's what it says next to the checked box.
Yes, but it's not correct cause the soundcard calibs have to be made with audio loop to see the the linearity of the preamps; so please ignore it
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

I found that mine really broke in after a few days. I leave the high end flat and it's fine. If anything, the open natural sound that they give me makes me mess around less with things. In turn my high end is really sweet and my mixes translate great! Like any other monitor you have to learn them a bit, but once you do, you can feel pretty confident that your mixes are going to translate. I still have a pair of Reftones that I'll double check on though. It never hurts to have an alternate perspective. The two things I notice I'll adjust when switching over to the Reftones is snare and vocal level. I do tend to push those a little bit on the s6's.
Old 14th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 ➑️
I found that mine really broke in after a few days. I leave the high end flat and it's fine. If anything, the open natural sound that they give me makes me mess around less with things. In turn my high end is really sweet and my mixes translate great! Like any other monitor you have to learn them a bit, but once you do, you can feel pretty confident that your mixes are going to translate. I still have a pair of Reftones that I'll double check on though. It never hurts to have an alternate perspective. The two things I notice I'll adjust when switching over to the Reftones is snare and vocal level. I do tend to push those a little bit on the s6's.
Oh, those are like mixcubes.
Old 14th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkizuna ➑️
Oh, those are like mixcubes.
Yup. I like them better than the avantones.
Old 17th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got the s6 and t10 combo. Blends really well at lower volumes, sub is a little disconnected when really loud, but that could be my room. Definitely will point out a bright mix. I threw on Madonna "Music" to test out the sub, and the hi hats were killing me.

I am coming from a modded pair of old KRK v8's. Resolution is on par with them, if not a bit better. The KRK's were more of a warm and fuzzy to the S6 modern and bright. I don't think the S6 has enough going on down low without having cans for a second reference or a sub. However that was exactly what I was looking for.

Overall, very happy with them
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors-image.jpg  
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good review

Good two year old review of the S8s:
Sceptre S8 active monitor | Tape Op Magazine | Longform candid interviews with music producers and audio engineers covering mixing, mastering, recording and music production.

I find it interesting that Dave Gunness, the designer, took special care with the lower mids. To him (and me) this is a key frequency range and is difficult to judge on most monitors.

I see the Spectre S8 as every man's RM28ac, also designed by David Gunness:
Reference Monitors | Fulcrum Acoustic

Much more speaker and much more money.
Old 22nd April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I find it interesting that Dave Gunness, the designer, took special care with the lower mids. To him (and me) this is a key frequency range and is difficult to judge on most monitors.
I completely agree, at least I do now, now that I actually have the S6's!

Here is my VERY early impression of the S6's. I have only had them for about 36 hours but it was really strange at first listen. I thought they were broken because I was hearing things that sounded fuzzy and almost distorted especially on vocals, but then I realized that it was just the rattling of the mic when someone is singing loudly in to it and it kind of rattles. I had never heard that with so much clarity!

I worked quickly on a mix that was set up on my mixer and it was funny because the earlier mix sounded thin on the S6's and it was then that I realized that I could never hear those frequencies ( low mids) on the LSR 305's. I did a quick remix and played it on various systems and bingo!.... it was so much warmer and full of sound!

The thing I have noticed is that these are VERY guitar friendly. I was listening to some AC/DC and they always sounded harsh and bright on the 305's, but when pumped through the S6's it sounded the way it should sound (imo), warm and in your face. Compared to the 305's, the Sceptres definitely put things more forward and they don't sound like there are any "holes" in the mixes/frequencies.

It is a bit strange because they almost make everything sound good, except my mixes! But seriously, at first I thought they might be a little too kind and I am still not sure because I have not mixed on them very much and they still need to be broken in.

I will add, that in a marginally treated room, they are pretty accurate as far as translation goes, because the sound is put in your face and right up front that the room almost doesn't even come in to play.

At this point I am very pleased with my purchase, but I am still listening and mixing with a very critical ear and only time will tell if these are the great panacea, at least for me.

fb
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am still interested in the S8's but think maybe I should just keep my Focal CMS 65s. I was reading about Dave Gunness and his whole career was in PA speakers until recently. It was interesting to me because I thought the S8's sounded like a really good PA speaker,the way they push the sound forward. They also have some elements that I recall from high end mastering rooms of the image being big and clear and almost floating in the air.

The CMS 65s are great for translation but they just seem a bit reserved.They have very good low end in my room. I had some Eve audio speakers for a short time and they seem very detailed. The problem for me was that all mixes for really off in translation.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

My Sceptre mixes translate great!
Old 15th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First mix on the Sceptre 6's. An old project using a peavey mixer into a soundblaster card recorded into cakewalk pro audio 9.

I only had a AKG C4000b for my mic at the time. The recording was pretty bright. So far I'm starting to trust the monitors

https://soundcloud.com/ron-vogel/sleeper

Last edited by Ron Vogel; 29th June 2016 at 08:23 PM..
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Forum,

Just wanted to return to the thread and update. I mastered a house song ('no one else' by Pierre Reynolds) on my S8s for a record label (Gotta Keep Faith Records). And they loved it. The translation is good in my book.

Gotta Keep Faith Records - Home Page
Old 29th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm really happy how my mixes translate on my S6 and Temblor T10.
My only concern is the digital noise I'm getting once in a while.

Is there any solution for this?
Has anyone found a solution for this?

thanks,
Cool
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
After some months of using them, i can say that i'm happy with s8 instead of focal cms65. Mixes translate well, the only thing i have to keep in my mind/ears is that the monitors are a bit forwarded in the mid parts, for example voices, so when i'm going to mix their volume i have to push it up a little more than what i hear...anyway, really happy!!
Old 1st July 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I don't get the forward mid thing that some are getting. I get them sounding very neutral. I'm running well placed panels and 3inch acoustic foam. The foam is soaking the mids. Also I have floating floors and ceilings, plus double walls w/ green stuff and 2 layers of safe n sound in for insulation.

Early reflections can really skew what you hear. Throw on some flat cans and see if the over-bright mid is still there.

Last edited by superkizuna; 1st July 2016 at 05:02 PM..
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkizuna ➑️
I don't get the forward mid thing that some are getting. I get them sounding very neutral. I'm running well placed panels and 3inch acoustic foam. The foam is soaking the mids. Also I have floating floors and ceilings, plus double walls w/ green stuff and 2 layers of safe n sound in for insulation.

Early reflections can really skew what you hear. Throw on some flat cans and see if the over-bright mid is still there.
I think people that get the midfwd is due to early reflections and probably position, due to being both monitors too close.
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➑️
I think people that get the midfwd is due to early reflections and probably position, due to being both monitors too close.
Yeah, I think they are inbetween a nearfield and midfield. The imaging breaks up if you get too close also.

I have a few albums I reference for imaging...Throw on "Candy Perfume Girl" off Madonna's Ray of Light. On the S6's it knocks my socks off. In my room, 6-8 feet off the monitors works nice. I have mine on good stands, appropriate sound treatment, and about 18" off the wall.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

Mine calmed down after a week or so. Very neutral, and very detailed. Love them.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Addict

I've had my new S6 monitors now for a few weeks and they are working for me. It's possible that I'm easy to please because coming from my Alesis Monitor One MkII's there's really no comparison. I'm getting more accustomed to the stereo field now but it really jumped out at me when I first turned them on which I found pretty useful as I was manually balancing left & Right levels. Using the phantom center as a guide, I could hear it move slightly left or right if they were off, down to it sitting on the side of my head vs right in the middle of my head. That's an odd sensation. The feeling of having the sound right in my ear does remind me of some line array PA systems, but not any sort of negative way.

Foamboy's comment about them working well in a marginally treated room was one of the things that led to a tipping point where I wanted to pull the trigger. These things are a real life-saver for me.
Old 8th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
well,what i mean for bit midfwd is tthis thing:
usually i mix some pad synth (landscape or strings) or voices in my studio and i feel good as levels. When I go outside to check the mix these sounds are to be gained cause they are like in the background of the track..

My studio is treated with basstrap handmade (fiberglass wool) and acoustic panel in the reflection zone; I've also done a some sort of ceiling using a texture sheet above all the working zone.

Distance between me and the speaker and from speaker to speaker is 1.80 m (5,90 feet) .

I think is something in my room, because you must consider that i'm working (and this was applied also to my focal cms65) with tweeter level volume at -4db in both monitor...

anyway i'm happy presonus user
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
well,what i mean for bit midfwd is tthis thing:
usually i mix some pad synth (landscape or strings) or voices in my studio and i feel good as levels. When I go outside to check the mix these sounds are to be gained cause they are like in the background of the track..

My studio is treated with basstrap handmade (fiberglass wool) and acoustic panel in the reflection zone; I've also done a some sort of ceiling using a texture sheet above all the working zone.

Distance between me and the speaker and from speaker to speaker is 1.80 m (5,90 feet) .

I think is something in my room, because you must consider that i'm working (and this was applied also to my focal cms65) with tweeter level volume at -4db in both monitor...

I think this distance is more than I would recommend, in fact I am at the same distance from my ATC SCM50ASL! Did you tried at about 1-1,20m?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think is something in my room

Just read your comment about Focal Alpha 80 :

"the low end goes deep as reported but the mid frequencies are enphatized so i heard some things that in reality the track doesn't have."

And yes, there is something in your room because the Alpha 80 is everything except a mid emphatized sounding monitor. Would you share a measurement of your room?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think this distance is more than I would recommend, in fact I am at the same distance from my ATC SCM50ASL! Did you tried at about 1-1,20m?
yes, i've made lot and lot of trial about position and
1 - 1,20 sound bad to me and also i don't get the perfect triangle if i go with this
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just read your comment about Focal Alpha 80 :

"the low end goes deep as reported but the mid frequencies are enphatized so i heard some things that in reality the track doesn't have."

And yes, there is something in your room because the Alpha 80 is everything except a mid emphatized sounding monitor. Would you share a measurement of your room?

Heraldo, for me alpha 80 was the worst monitor i've ever heard (i'm a reseller)..and also when i took out of my studio back to my shop,every people that has listened alpha 80, for buy them, told me that they were very bad sounding...totally disappointed about the famous name of Focal.

Some low frequencies were emphatized and also its sound was like some "harsh" sound and not real, very unpleasure to listen to, crisp sound ....

this is my opinion, and i've had in my studio a lot of monitors ..
for me alpha 80 = blah...don't hate me for this
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do anyone of the Temblor owners have measured (or could do) how deep it goes? Just using a measurement mic in front of it and running a sweep, just want to add a little bit of extra low end to my nearfields with expending the same money on the atc sub for my scm50s
πŸ“ Reply