Quantcast
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors
Old 30th March 2016 | Show parent
  #361
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➑️
I will probably want one, not only that but I have a crazy idea about how I might want to utilize it at the moment.
I've had for a bit a sub with 10" in the past, and i have to set it at very very lower volume and at the end I've sold it cause it's not real necessary for me..if your room is littler than mine i'm sure you don't need it ehehehe

anyway keep us informed when u've got the deal
Old 3rd April 2016
  #362
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
ehy guys, today i've measured my freq responce with the ecm 8000 mic with sceptre s8. I placed it in the horizontal way pointing the center of both speakers.


please see the jpg attached,if i see correctly it's almost flat!!! Am I wrong?

Also, can someone explain to me the phase measurements?i mean, if them are good or bad?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors-sceptre-s8.jpg  
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #363
Lives for gear
 
stevegalante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
ehy guys, today i've measured my freq responce with the ecm 8000 mic with sceptre s8. I placed it in the horizontal way pointing the center of both speakers.


please see the jpg attached,if i see correctly it's almost flat!!! Am I wrong?

Also, can someone explain to me the phase measurements?i mean, if them are good or bad?

thanks
Yes S8 are pretty linear I can confirm, however your measurement looks SUPER linear because the dB scale is set too high (50 dB between the horizontal lines) try to lower it to 5-10 dB
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #364
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
ehy guys, today i've measured my freq responce with the ecm 8000 mic with sceptre s8. I placed it in the horizontal way pointing the center of both speakers.


please see the jpg attached,if i see correctly it's almost flat!!! Am I wrong?

Also, can someone explain to me the phase measurements?i mean, if them are good or bad?

thanks
Interesting. Is your room heavily treated with acoustic treatment?

fb
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #365
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➑️
try to lower it to 5-10 dB
ciao Steve,
i think you mean zoom in and out on room eq w right?
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors-sceptrezoom.jpg  
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #366
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➑️
Interesting. Is your room heavily treated with acoustic treatment?

fb
no, all treatments was made by myself, see picture

glasswool bass trap and reflection panel made of poly 3g panel (something like polyurethane foam pressed)
in the top of my desk i've placed a cloth of cotton as you can see, something like a sort of "curtain" for aesthetics purpose with the like, and also, i think, for some ceiling with hf
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors-alpha_studio.jpg  
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #367
Lives for gear
 
stevegalante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
ciao Steve,
i think you mean zoom in and out on room eq w right?
Exactly, it already looks more realistic now Also the horizontal frequency range is a bit weird too, it should go up to 20 KHz (now it's 10), and I don't understand the left value, is it 2 Hz ?
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #368
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➑️
Exactly, it already looks more realistic now Also the horizontal frequency range is a bit weird too, it should go up to 20 KHz (now it's 10), and I don't understand the left value, is it 2 Hz ?
If I zoom on the db unfortunately i don't get the entire graph so i've choose only a part of hz scale, from 20 hz to 16000 (in my music i usually delete all above 16000 cause it's not necessary) and here you see from 2 hz (without sense) to 10000hz

anyway, i think it's almost flatten in the 5db range, don't you think? is great results, i've never seen a results like this before...really happy
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #369
Lives for gear
 
stevegalante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
If I zoom on the db unfortunately i don't get the entire graph so i've choose only a part of hz scale, from 20 hz to 16000 (in my music i usually delete all above 16000 cause it's not necessary) and here you see from 2 hz (without sense) to 10000hz

anyway, i think it's almost flatten in the 5db range, don't you think? is great results, i've never seen a results like this before...really happy
If you're on Mac try to make the same measurement with Fuzzmeasure (FuzzMeasure), you will have a much more useful analysis from 20Hz to 20KHz. But yes, as a Sceptre S8 user they're pretty linear by themselves !
Old 4th April 2016
  #370
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I've just bought Fuzzmeasure, will try it and then post results
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
  #371
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
no, all treatments was made by myself, see picture

glasswool bass trap and reflection panel made of poly 3g panel (something like polyurethane foam pressed)
in the top of my desk i've placed a cloth of cotton as you can see, something like a sort of "curtain" for aesthetics purpose with the like, and also, i think, for some ceiling with hf
Man that gives me a lot of hope. My room is treated pretty close to how yours is and I am expecting the Sceptres any day now so I will test for myself.

Thanks,

fb
Old 5th April 2016
  #372
Lives for gear
 
nick8801's Avatar
I'm still in love with my S6's after a few months. It's just so much easier to make decisions and make my mixes great. The best part is the translation. I used to cringe when listening to my mixes in my car. Now I get excited. The bass is always right in place and super tight. Vocals float right where they are supposed to, and the midrange isn't all murky. Best purchase I have made in a long time!
Old 5th April 2016 | Show parent
  #373
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante ➑️
If you're on Mac try to make the same measurement with Fuzzmeasure (FuzzMeasure), you will have a much more useful analysis from 20Hz to 20KHz. But yes, as a Sceptre S8 user they're pretty linear by themselves !
Ehy Steve, I've re measured both freq responce with room eq and fuzzmeasure but the results are a bit different...room eq is still almost linear, fuzz measure gave me 2 hole in the graphs..nothing to be scared but i don't understand why the 2 graphs are so different
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors-fuzzmeasure_s8.jpg  
Old 5th April 2016 | Show parent
  #374
Lives for gear
 
stevegalante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
Ehy Steve, I've re measured both freq responce with room eq and fuzzmeasure but the results are a bit different...room eq is still almost linear, fuzz measure gave me 2 hole in the graphs..nothing to be scared but i don't understand why the 2 graphs are so different
Yes nothing dramatic but much more realistic now... are you following Fuzzmeasure guidelines to take the measurements ? And which mcrohone are you using ?
Old 5th April 2016
  #375
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I'm using Ecm 8000 behringer. I've seen some tutorial with fuzzmeasure and i'm using v3 instead of 4 (it doesn't work the audio signal with this),
the only thing that i don't do is the loop audio measurement because the output B (channel 3/4 of my focusrite) doesn't work with the app.

Anyway, why the 2 measurement are so different?

and also, I point the mic directly to the monitor in the sweet spot, am i correct? because in some video the mic point to the ceiling of the room...what's the best way? to the monitor or to the ceiling?
Old 5th April 2016 | Show parent
  #376
Lives for gear
 
stevegalante's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
I'm using Ecm 8000 behringer. I've seen some tutorial with fuzzmeasure and i'm using v3 instead of 4 (it doesn't work the audio signal with this),
the only thing that i don't do is the loop audio measurement because the output B (channel 3/4 of my focusrite) doesn't work with the app.

Anyway, why the 2 measurement are so different?

and also, I point the mic directly to the monitor in the sweet spot, am i correct? because in some video the mic point to the ceiling of the room...what's the best way? to the monitor or to the ceiling?
I believe the Behringer is equivalent to the one included with the IK Arc2, so definitely it has to be pointed to the ceiling.
Old 6th April 2016
  #377
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Are you still liking these better than the CMS65's? My impression was that they had a brighter upper midrange. There are a couple of reviews of the Sceptre 6 that don't seem that impressed: PreSonus Sceptre S6: High-Tech Studio Monitor Features Coaxial Alignment and DSP | Mixonline
Presonus Sceptre*S6 Review : Helter-Sceptre - Audiofanzine

Others do seem to be impressed.
Old 6th April 2016
  #378
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
That's actually the 2nd time I've seen someone say the Sceptre' were better than the CMS65. I've also seen user reviews saying it was even better than the Solo6 and CSM40. These were all on Sweetwater.

Makes me want a pair more, particularly when considering how cheaply I can get a pair.

I think there may be some slight bias against these speakers. The look weird/utilitarian, they're manufactured by a relatively new player in the monitor world; and they sound unique (from what I hear)

I do find the MixOnline review intriguing. He says he perceived a dip in the mids, but in most frequency test I've seen, the speakers are exceptionally flat. (Shrugs)

Quote:
Others do seem to be impressed.
Yes, I've come across overwhelmingly positive opinions from a majority of end users.

One example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-5JPPD3yk
Old 6th April 2016
  #379
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Yes, I'm loving more than cms 65.
Focal are cold and A/B with sceptre it seems like they play a bit metallic and too much dry in the mid high..I don't like no more focal sound after lot of try out.

For explain better, what i listen through s8 is like be in the middle of the dancefloor, sound is hot and detailed and clean. Initially i was scared about the fact that maybe sound was coloured but no, it's clear and mixing on them is really simple...

I conferm what i've wrote some posts ago: it's clear like focal sound but it's warm and u will for sure love how them sound

I don't know about s6 but i would go for s6 only if your room is really small and narrow; my triangle with me and monitors is 1,80 meters (5,9 feet)..so if you are serching littler triangle and configuration with near to face position s6 are the correct for you.

Ps: mids are clear and in your face, high in my case are not fatiguing like on focal (at high volume) and i've setted them to -1.5db just cause my room with every type of monitor push a bit the high frequencies

Last edited by mauroalpha; 6th April 2016 at 01:06 PM..
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #380
Gear Nut
 
superkizuna's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➑️
hello. I ,like some others, have been following this thread because I am looking for an upgrade as well.

My situation is this: I am currently using LSR305's in a partially treated room. I have 2 GiK 244's and several sheets of Auralex 2" panels in a HEAVILY furnished room. I know that I will get the whole "treat your room more" advocates, but I have truly maxed out the space. I suppose I could replace two of my Auralex panels for two more 244's, but that's about it.

Anyway, I am trying to decide on a pair of 6 or 8 Sceptres or just getting a sub to add to my current 305 setup. I don't mind the 305 sound, but no matter where I am able to place these there is very little bass at my listening position. If I go to the back of the room (where there is a large bed and lots of shelving) I can hear the bass more like I wish I could at my listening position.

So here is my "logic"....if I was to get a pair of 8's and have them about 2.5 to 3 ft away, and not crank them too much (about 78-80db) that I would be able to "hear" and possibly feel the bass a little more accurately. My room is dang near a perfect square (11.5x 12.6x 13ft), so I feel pretty screwed. This is another reason why I am concerned that even if I COULD put up more treatment, it would almost be pointless. Another reason is that there are closets and doors that can't be obstructed.

I am just trying to figure out how I can get a little more bass right at my listening spot. The other reason I am not crazy about a sub is that I live on the 3rd floor of an apt complex and I am pretty sure my neighbor below wouldn't really dig my "mix sessions".

I really just want to "feel" the bass a little more. I have headphones that I use to check bass, but I really miss the visceral interaction of bass.

I guess I am just looking for some more opinions from users who might have a similar situation and I am kind of wondering if just using coaxial technology might actually be a solution for a poor shlub like me.

Thanks again to anyone who replies.

fb

Your listening position in the rear of the room is probably having enhanced bass because of the corners behind you. The bass freqs are pooling up there. You may have too much bass being soaked by your furniture.... is there a bunch of foam filled stuff? All of that can trap bass too.

One thing that I did notice is that your LSR305 monitors have a low freq rolloff at 50hz and it's pretty steep. There is some 'thickness' in the bass freqs at around 80hz but the 'feeling' (sub) freqs extend beyond that. I'm not trying to advocate buying a sub honestly. I mean I'm all for shaving off expenses. The freq response charts I've seen for the LSR305 shows a scoop at 50hz and a small scoop at 1khz plus they appear to be tuned pretty nicely in the upper mids and highs. It is not reflecting poorly on the performance of the monitor. These are excellent monitors its just that if we are talking about flat monitors I wouldn't consider these. I don't like a totally flat monitor for mixing really, I run equator d5's for mixing and Event 20/20's for bass challenged/radio reference.

I think that IF you did add a sub to these already awesome monitors that you would open a new dimension of sound. I'd cross the sub between 60 - 70 with the LS305s.

I think you could isolate the vibrations of the sub with isopads and that would dampen the energy transmission to your neighbors. If you go with the sceptre and it throws sub freqs your neighbors will bathe in the energy just like the dedicated sub.

Last edited by superkizuna; 7th April 2016 at 04:47 PM..
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #381
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy ➑️
Would you say that the S8's are 4 times better than the 305's? After all, the S8's are 4times more expensive.

fb
i changed my jbl 2328s for a set of s8s and I am pretty familar with the 305/308s also

firstly for the people wondering about bass , there is quite a bit more bass from the S8 than even my 2385s , going between the s8s and a 305 would be a big jump

secondly the s8/s6s can be had pretty reasonably if you hunt around .

3rd they have made me realize the jbl's are really great monitors in the price range and im suprised how well my some of my older material stands up on the s8s . for the money the 3 series are good monitors

but its been about 6 weeks now and the s8s are really special for their price bracket . imaging and detail is great . they have hit that point where I dont even notice them now , they just work . mixes come together quickly , easy to spot and fix mistakes , especially at instrument level .

as always monitors are a personal thing , audition and go with what you like best . dont be too hung up on specs and reviews
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #382
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Price is not indicative of quality.
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #383
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkizuna ➑️
Your listening position in the rear of the room is probably having enhanced bass because of the corners behind you. The bass freqs are pooling up there. You may have too much bass being soaked by your furniture.... is there a bunch of foam filled stuff? All of that can trap bass too.

One thing that I did notice is that your LSR305 monitors have a low freq rolloff at 50hz and it's pretty steep. There is some 'thickness' in the bass freqs at around 80hz but the 'feeling' (sub) freqs extend beyond that. I'm not trying to advocate buying a sub honestly. I mean I'm all for shaving off expenses. The freq response charts I've seen for the LSR305 shows a scoop at 50hz and a small scoop at 1khz plus they appear to be tuned pretty nicely in the upper mids and highs. It is not reflecting poorly on the performance of the monitor. These are excellent monitors its just that if we are talking about flat monitors I wouldn't consider these. I don't like a totally flat monitor for mixing really, I run equator d5's for mixing and Event 20/20's for bass challenged/radio reference.

I think that IF you did add a sub to these already awesome monitors that you would open a new dimension of sound. I'd cross the sub between 60 - 70 with the LS305s.

I think you could isolate the vibrations of the sub with isopads and that would dampen the energy transmission to your neighbors. If you go with the sceptre and it throws sub freqs your neighbors will bathe in the energy just like the dedicated sub.

Thanks for posting. Yes, I am well aware of everything you mentioned. I did get a T10 sub and I have yet to try it out with my LSR305's. I am still waiting on the S6's....back ordered. I think the 305's are the best thing in their price range, but they do have a bit of a dark and small quality which I am hoping the Sceptres will not have. And by all accounts, dark and small are not any of the adjectives I have seen applied to the Sceptres.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

fb
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #384
Gear Nut
 
superkizuna's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
The LSR is an awesome monitor. JBL is a good company. Those monitors are scooped in all the right places. One can draft a damn good mix on them. The coaxial sceptres solve phasing issues so the sweet spot is big so the energy is more easily observed. Keeping the LSRs and adding the s6 will give u a sweet setup brother. A/B will be awesome. The contrast should be extremely useful as a tool.
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
  #385
Gear Nut
 
superkizuna's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Dont let tuning the sub get you down either. Grab a noise file from the bob katz site and calibrate all your stuff to the k scale @ 83 db spl from your listening position.
Old 8th April 2016 | Show parent
  #386
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkizuna ➑️
The LSR is an awesome monitor. JBL is a good company. Those monitors are scooped in all the right places. One can draft a damn good mix on them. The coaxial sceptres solve phasing issues so the sweet spot is big so the energy is more easily observed. Keeping the LSRs and adding the s6 will give u a sweet setup brother. A/B will be awesome. The contrast should be extremely useful as a tool.
Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I will get a chance to A/B these speakers very soon!.

fb
Old 10th April 2016 | Show parent
  #387
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroalpha ➑️
Yes, I'm loving more than cms 65.
Focal are cold and A/B with sceptre it seems like they play a bit metallic and too much dry in the mid high..I don't like no more focal sound after lot of try out.

For explain better, what i listen through s8 is like be in the middle of the dancefloor, sound is hot and detailed and clean. Initially i was scared about the fact that maybe sound was coloured but no, it's clear and mixing on them is really simple...

I conferm what i've wrote some posts ago: it's clear like focal sound but it's warm and u will for sure love how them sound

I don't know about s6 but i would go for s6 only if your room is really small and narrow; my triangle with me and monitors is 1,80 meters (5,9 feet)..so if you are serching littler triangle and configuration with near to face position s6 are the correct for you.

Ps: mids are clear and in your face, high in my case are not fatiguing like on focal (at high volume) and i've setted them to -1.5db just cause my room with every type of monitor push a bit the high frequencies
I heard the sceptre's today. They sound a lot like a PA system to me. I heard them beside the Neumann KH120's and they sounded very mid forward. I enjoyed the sound but would be concerned about translation.
Old 10th April 2016 | Show parent
  #388
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 ➑️
I heard the sceptre's today. They sound a lot like a PA system to me. I heard them beside the Neumann KH120's and they sounded very mid forward. I enjoyed the sound but would be concerned about translation.
I am curious, did you listen to S8's or S6's? Also, did you experiment with the different tuning options on the back of the speakers?

fb
Old 10th April 2016
  #389
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I'm more intrigued by the "PA system"claim. I assume that's a negative, since I read it ascribed to various speakers. I assume the speakers were being played loudly. LOL.
Old 10th April 2016 | Show parent
  #390
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➑️
I'm more intrigued by the "PA system"claim. I assume that's a negative, since I read it ascribed to various speakers. I assume the speakers were being played loudly. LOL.
Well in this video, he claims the same thing ,but to him it's a good thing. So, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-5JPPD3yk

fb
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1258 views: 309654
Avatar for Brakka
Brakka 21st December 2019
replies: 61 views: 88103
Avatar for jasonro
jasonro 30th November 2017
replies: 33 views: 7597
Avatar for willybite
willybite 7th August 2019
replies: 13 views: 1843
Avatar for Kitkatt
Kitkatt 26th February 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump