Quantcast
NAMM: Alesis Q88 USB MIDI Keyboard. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Alesis Q88 USB MIDI Keyboard.
Old 23rd January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hardware NAMM: Alesis Q88 USB MIDI Keyboard.

Q88 - 88-Key USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller
The Q88 works with virtually any music software and MIDI hardware devices. Providing the full piano complement of 88 semi-weighted and velocity sensitive keys, The Q88 is a sleek and portable controller, at home on stage or in the studio. A full array of essential controls is onboard, including pitch and modulation wheels, octave up and down buttons, and an assignable data slider.

Features:
  • Full piano-length keyboard
  • 88 semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive keys
  • Pitch bend wheel with assignable range
  • Assignable modulation wheel
  • Assignable volume control/data entry slider
  • Octave/transpose button access the entire note range in any key
  • Sustain and volume pedal inputs (pedals are optional)
  • USB powered
  • MIDI output
  • DC input

Link : Q88 88-Key USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: Alesis Q88 USB MIDI Keyboard.-q88_angle_weblg.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 14th December 2014 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: fix broken link
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...just hoping the key quality is far better than the Q49/Q61 ones...
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted User
It looks identical to the M-Audio Keystation 88es only black, which is weird, because the new M-Audio interfaces look like Alesis interfaces, only black. Merging of product lines.
Old 24th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Prob because InMusic inc. is the parent company for Akai, Alesis, M-Audio, Numark and more.

Graham
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if this means the end of the Keystation 88es...it would seem so.

Would really like to see M-audio/inMusic make a bare bones 88-key hammer-action controller in the $300 range.

That would be something noteworthy.
Old 25th January 2013
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, it is exactly the same as the keystation.

I don't think you'll see a hammer action keyboard for $300 (well a decent one anyways). I paid about $700 for Yamaha P-95 piano and it has "decent" GHS keys, for the price. I doubt the small bank of sounds and speakers really add too much to the price.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, I think for decent to good hammer action you need to shop for various digital piano offerings with MIDI/USB-MIDI out, Yamahas, Casio PX et rest. You could get some of those even below $500 and as a bonus you get a set of working sounds from the system. Which is where the Casio PX-5S becomes interesting as it has zones and built-in good sounds including now parts of the XW-P1 engine.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
DARN! Loved the idea of the keystation but HATED the feel and velocity response. Was hoping this was a new and better take on the idea! :(

Are they for sure the same?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️

I don't think you'll see a hammer action keyboard for $300 (well a decent one anyways). I paid about $700 for Yamaha P-95 piano and it has "decent" GHS keys, for the price. I doubt the small bank of sounds and speakers really add too much to the price.
On black friday the Casio cdp-120 was on sale for $250 at GC, and you could price-match at MF and end up getting it for around $200 before they changed the price the same day. I wish I had gotten in on that as it has a more than capable feel especially at that price point. Also, if Williams can put out a full fledged hammer-action piano in the $300 range (its actually $200 on Music Arts), why can't M-audio do the same without speakers or frills? It doesn't seem impossible to make something at least reasonable like the Williams Allegro. I have looked around various boards and found there is a definite market for something like what I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
Yes, I think for decent to good hammer action you need to shop for various digital piano offerings with MIDI/USB-MIDI out, Yamahas, Casio PX et rest. You could get some of those even below $500 and as a bonus you get a set of working sounds from the system. Which is where the Casio PX-5S becomes interesting as it has zones and built-in good sounds including now parts of the XW-P1 engine.
I definitely have my eye on the px-150. If the 130 starts to drop significantly in price I'll just pick that up but I have a feeling black friday is going to have the px-150 priced around $350-$400, I'll be picking one of those up if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK_Dude ➑️
DARN! Loved the idea of the keystation but HATED the feel and velocity response. Was hoping this was a new and better take on the idea! :(

Are they for sure the same?
The descriptions are IDENTICAL and they are quite literally exactly the same frame and features. Just different colors and logos.

Sadly, this is the exact same controller.

Also, yes the keystation has a terrible touch, but if you can get it priced right somewhere (I picked mine up for $150), I think its definitely pretty reasonable.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapuppy ➑️
Also, yes the keystation has a terrible touch, but if you can get it priced right somewhere (I picked mine up for $150), I think its definitely pretty reasonable.
Same here for the price on the keystation ($150). I think it is worth that for semi weight action which is all I wanted. The P-95 has MIDI I/O, so for weighted action I can use that. It isn't the greatest piano action, but for the price it works. I like it more than the Casios in the same price range. I use a Yamaha Clavinova and that thing makes my P-95 feel like a toy
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
any sign of an 88 controller with aftertouch?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro ➑️
None yet, I don't think its coming.
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+100000

I think the only currently available 88 controller with semi-/lightweighted keys (which is what i'm after) AND aftertouch is the Studiologic/Fatar VMK88+.But it's overpriced and has only 1 wheel instead of 2.

I can't believe how many new controllers show up each year but with most all of them the aftertouch is missing.

Instead companies blatantly copy each others products like the Q88.

Hello Alesis - the Keystation88es already exists ! No one needs your "new" controller that lacks *any* distinctive features like, say, aftertouch...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatz01 ➑️
+100000
Hello Alesis - the Keystation88es already exists ! No one needs your "new" controller that lacks *any* distinctive features like, say, aftertouch...
Are they serious? the exact same controller.... I wouldnt be surprised if Alesis and M-Audio are in cahoots with eachother! lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathansounds ➑️
Are they serious? the exact same controller.... I wouldnt be surprised if Alesis and M-Audio are in cahoots with eachother! lol
Maybe because they are owned by the same umbrella company, did that help your headache?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
Maybe because they are owned by the same umbrella company, did that help your headache?
No, i actually researched after posting and found this out. But thanks though.

edit:and it still doesnt justify releasing the same controller.... The question is, which one to get? hahaha Neither of course
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The CME UF80 can do that i believe. (as well as much much more)
Old 28th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just brought a Q88 home and set it up for Friday's gig. I like it. It's usb powered and simple. It has plenty of room for my Korg nano. It's about 22 lbs. The keys are semi weighted, but I'm not particular about key beds. GC had an M-Audio board, too. It has M-Audio code for operating it. It's silver. Otherwise it looks just like the Q88. I went with Alesis black. I can understand the operation. It has program changes, too, which I needed to change instruments in NI..

Last edited by daviel; 28th May 2013 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: program changes
Old 10th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm thinking of getting one to replace my old, old Yamaha SY77. I wanted something full length and with some kind of weighted action. It's going for most places in the U.K, for Β£150 and I know I would have to spend twice that much for full weighted.
I just need something to input Midi for Cubase/Logic as have some old composition I need to put down.
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where is the 88 with aftertouch?
Old 13th December 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Alesis Q88 v. M-Audio Keystation 88

I know this thread is a little old, just going to chime in here... I tried my friend's Alesis Q88 that she bought in February 2014 and a brand new M-Audio Keystation. Alesis keys feel way better. They're both lower-end keyboards, yes, but the M-Audio was way too springy for me. The Alesis feels more natural. I don't think they're the same keyboard. M-Audio has a few more buttons, but I'd rather have nicer keys. Now, the 88ES looks the same as the Q88... so maybe those are the same keyboard. I tried the 88, not the 88ES. It looks like they're discontinuing both of those though :( Would be great if someone came out with an 88-key controller with aftertouch.
Old 19th December 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The Akai MPK88 has Aftertouch, though it does use hammer-weighted keys. Granted it's a bit of a step up from a $150 controller, but at around $750 it's not terribly crazy, and has some useful controls and pretty good build quality
Old 19th December 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by byaussy ➑️
The Akai MPK88 has Aftertouch, though it does use hammer-weighted keys. Granted it's a bit of a step up from a $150 controller, but at around $750 it's not terribly crazy, and has some useful controls and pretty good build quality
i found the mpk88 keys noisy/clunky but usable. Just not for me.
Old 22nd December 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I got the Alesis Q88 in the end. It does the job I wanted to wonderful well and most friends who play it are suitable impressed, especially for the cost. If I was going to be hyper critical I would say it could have a slightly heavier feel but for the money there's only so much you can expect.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I generally like my mpk-88 key wise feels good playing it. but the control mapping is kinda annoying and not ever been updated. No sign of any automap migrating to this sadly. Im looking at a Nectar Panorama p1 instead and putting the mpk-88 under the desk like this:
studiomockup
My 2015 year project
πŸ“ Reply