NAMM: Akai MPX8 SD Sample Pad Controller - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Akai MPX8 SD Sample Pad Controller
Old 23rd January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hardware NAMM: Akai MPX8 SD Sample Pad Controller

Akai MPX8 SD Sample Pad Controller

MPX8 is one of Akai Professional’s most innovative pad instruments yet.
Using a standard
SD card, users can load virtually any sample onto MPX8 and then assign it to any of the
unit’s eight backlit velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads.
MPX8 also comes with a large
library of standard samples built in, which can be used for live performance in front of a
crowd, on a radio show, or for in-studio production.
Its bright blue backlit display and intuitive
interface make for easy operation in any amount of light.
A 1/8-inch headphone output, two
balanced 1/4-inch outputs, and five-pin MIDI and USB MIDI inputs and outputs are onboard.
“With MPX8, we’re giving musicians a quick and convenient way to have one-touch access to
a virtually unlimited number of sounds, shots, stabs, and drops,” said Dan Gill, Akai
Professional Product Manager.
MPX8 comes with a drag-and-drop sample editor for Mac and PC for easy sample conversion.
Users can also save sample sets together as kits for
easy recall and even tune and add reverb to samples

Features:
  • Add sound samples via standard SD card (sold separately)
  • 8 velocity-sensitive and pressure-sensitive pads
  • Drag-and-drop sample editor for Mac and PC included
  • Built-in library of popular sounds, samples, and bumps
  • Tune, add reverb, save sample sets for easy recall
  • USB MIDI plus standard MIDI inputs and outputs
  • 1/8” headphone output and balanced 1/4” outputs

Link : Akai Professional - APC MPC EWI MPD MPK LPK MAX49
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That is pretty cool. Great for live.
I wonder what the price is like.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Price will be a big factor. For not having any sampling capability of its own, it will have to be quite affordable since it's riding the line between instrument and toy. Wonder what the max SD card size it can take is.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Kind of neat.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it's below let's say 150 EUR.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great live utility.

- c
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive ➡️
I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it's below let's say 150 EUR.
99$
official post from AKAIPRO :
Photo by akai_pro • Instagram

chrissugar
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for pointing that out. That's a really nice price.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm surprised there isn't more noise about this.

Excepting the MPC series, isn't this the first piece of hardware from Akai that stores and plays samples entirely in hardware, for years?

I'm seeing prices for this around the £79.99 mark. There's only a stereo pair for an output, but I'm keen to find out if there is much in the way of per-sample envelope control / filtering / loop control in this thing! Quick edit: No mention of any of these things, bah! They might have kept this one a bit too simple, but at least it's a "standalone" instrument for a change.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm very intrested in this; should play very nicely with an Elektron Octatrack (or MD/MM)

8 audio tracks on the Octatrack for loops/stabs etc; 8 midi tracks hitting this for individual drums? Sounds like a nifty combination.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm under the impression it is mono samples only. Does anybody know this to be true? Also, any word if there will be a maximum sample length?

This thing could come in handy.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
4 minutes of sample memory and mono only mono samples.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No onboard sequence/recording ability correct?

Thanks
Old 12th February 2013
GnS
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mono yes but you can pan the mono samples individually on the stereo out.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can't imagine anyone using this in a live rig who doesn't already have something more capable. I don't see anyone basing their set around these. The SP-404 sometimes doesn't have enough pads and controls and it has way more features than this.
Old 24th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Does this require a PC/MAC or is it standalone battery op?
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 ➡️
I can't imagine anyone using this in a live rig who doesn't already have something more capable. I don't see anyone basing their set around these. The SP-404 sometimes doesn't have enough pads and controls and it has way more features than this.
does the SP-404 cost $99?
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian ➡️
does the SP-404 cost $99?
Nope. And that's my point. Neither does an Electribe, MPC, or other sample player/drum machine and many people who perform live still use a combination of those. I'm failing to see the functionality of this piece. At first I thought maybe someone who needed very limited sample launching like a DJ would use it, but all the new DJ controllers have a more advanced pad setup already.

Numark's cheapest DJ controller is $199 and has twice the amount of pads, as well as being... a complete DJ controller. For what it's worth these are probably the exact same pads anyways as on the MPX8.

Old 26th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nope. And that's my point. Neither does an Electribe, MPC, or other sample player/drum machine and many people who perform live still use a combination of those. I'm failing to see the functionality of this piece. At first I thought maybe someone who needed very limited sample launching like a DJ would use it, but all the new DJ controllers have a more advanced pad setup already.

Numark's cheapest DJ controller is $199 and has twice the amount of pads, as well as being... a complete DJ controller. For what it's worth these are probably the exact same pads anyways as on the MPX8.

You need a laptop to access the sampling abilities of those controllers. A lot of gigging DJs still use just CDJs. It's also potentially useful for radio/podcasting. I play synths live sometimes and am interested in the potential of this for launching ambient loops or percussion or whatever but it will still fit it a carry-on size gig bag (like for a miniak or micron).
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
does it take batteries or what?
Old 3rd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, I have an spds and a macbook pro, either one offers 10x the functionality sampler wise, but I see tons of uses for this little gem. As a synth player, my rig is a Juno-106, and an Elektron Monomachine SF-x 6. I'm going to integrate the Akai piece as a drum/vocal harmony player, depending on the song. I don't need the functionality of a 404 or 555 for this, I'll trigger the drums from the Monomachine sequencer and the vox by hand. I love how small this unit is, it's gonna fit in my rig perfect. I also own a tr-707, but I won't need to lug that vintage behemoth around with the addition of the MPX-8.
📝 Reply