Quantcast
Eventide H9 Harmonizer Pedal - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H9 Harmonizer Pedal
Old 25th January 2013
  #31
Gear Head
 
EMR Audio's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
When I checked out the pitch factor I liked how the delay engine worked with the pitch algos. I'm guessing the "one effect at a time" approach means we need two of these just to get the sound of one of the old ones...
Old 25th January 2013
  #32
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR Audio ➑️
When I checked out the pitch factor I liked how the delay engine worked with the pitch algos. I'm guessing the "one effect at a time" approach means we need two of these just to get the sound of one of the old ones...
Nope AFAIK, one effect at a time means one complete algo from the Factors/Space at a time.

BTW, one can access Mac's APP Store via iTunes in any given computer as far as I can recall.
Old 25th January 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
PeteJames's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sorry but the 'Hot Knob' is just too funny.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Ah, just found a little more info on the Eventide forums...

RE: compatibility with non-Apple devices:
Eh, seems like those who haven't any Apple gadgets are being considered an afterthought.

I dunno, I like Eventide boxes (have a Timefactor and a Space), but just not seeing the appeal of this. I suppose the idea of having all algorithms in one box is handy, but lack of knobs for tweaking coupled with the current IOS-only approach... I just don't get it.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
I'm talking about buying additional algorithms. Looks like you need an iDevice for those.



I wouldn't want one though, especially if its sole purpose is just to by apps for another device.
Why not? I kept my old iPhone 3g for just such things, though I haven't used it for that yet. You can get one for around $100 on ebay and what wireless touch-pad controller wouldn't be worth that?

Eventide H9 Harmonizer PedalApple iPhone 3G 8GB Black Factory Unlocked Good Condition GSM Smartphone 717122200026 | eBay
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Eh, seems like those who haven't any Apple gadgets are being considered an afterthought.

I dunno, I like Eventide boxes (have a Timefactor and a Space), but just not seeing the appeal of this. I suppose the idea of having all algorithms in one box is handy, but lack of knobs for tweaking coupled with the current IOS-only approach... I just don't get it.
I get it. Entry to a lower price point. Sorry for you, because I think this thing is going to be pretty awesome and probably very cheap for what it does considering they're offloading the UI to another device. I've thought for a long time that I wouldn't mind if all my gear was just black boxes that worked like this, but I'm an Apple fanboi of sorts.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Why not? I kept my old iPhone 3g for just such things, though I haven't used it for that yet. You can get one for around $100 on ebay and what wireless touch-pad controller wouldn't be worth that?

Eventide H9 Harmonizer PedalApple iPhone 3G 8GB Black Factory Unlocked Good Condition GSM Smartphone 717122200026 | eBay
Because I really have no use for one otherwise. Paying for an entirely separate device just to be able to buy apps to use on a different device... just don't want to.

I use a Windows PC. Let me buy the algorithms using that*.

* (Actually it's probably moot, because if it comes out with a $500 price tag, I'd just as sooner buy a Pitchfactor).

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
I get it. Entry to a lower price point. Sorry for you, because I think this thing is going to be pretty awesome and probably very cheap for what it does considering they're offloading the UI to another device. I've thought for a long time that I wouldn't mind if all my gear was just black boxes that worked like this, but I'm an Apple fanboi of sorts.
Well part of the issue is already owing a Timefactor and Space. I could definitely see the appeal of buying this device and then picking and choosing algorithms for those who don't have any Eventide pedals. It's definitely got a plus there.

But having no interest in the Modfactor offerings, buying this thing and then having to buy Pitchfactor algorithms and possibly an iDevice just to do that... Unless the price point of the H9 is low enough, then it's not worth it.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Because I really have no use for one otherwise. Paying for an entirely separate device just to be able to buy apps to use on a different device... just don't want to.

I use a Windows PC. Let me buy the algorithms using that*.
??? I really don't see what all the complaining is about...

From the Eventide H9 page:

Quote:
While the H9 is fully controllable via its front panel, a free iOS app, H9 Control, can be downloaded to your iPhone or iPad for live editing, creating and managing presets and changing system settings wirelessly via Bluetooth. H9 Control will also be available for your PC or Mac via USB.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
??? I really don't see what all the complaining is about...

From the Eventide H9 page:
The page the OP linked didn't have that. It only mentioned iOS.

But I'm totally fine with there being options for non-iOS devices for buying apps and/or controlling it. I was under the impression that wasn't going to be available at first, though.
Old 25th January 2013
  #40
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=shponglefan;8676118]Because I really have no use for one otherwise. Paying for an entirely separate device just to be able to buy apps to use on a different device... just don't want to.

I use a Windows PC. Let me buy the algorithms using that*.

* (Actually it's probably moot, because if it comes out with a $500 price tag, I'd just as sooner buy a Pitchfactor).

Quote:

Well part of the issue is already owing a Timefactor and Space. I could definitely see the appeal of buying this device and then picking and choosing algorithms for those who don't have any Eventide pedals. It's definitely got a plus there.

But having no interest in the Modfactor offerings, buying this thing and then having to buy Pitchfactor algorithms and possibly an iDevice just to do that... Unless the price point of the H9 is low enough, then it's not worth it.
I really like the H9 concept and expected quality, I like it with its shortcomings and advantages and I think 500$ is a fair price, but as you my only complain is that I already have a TF and Spc, and "thank God" I just sold a PF.
As complex as the Factor effects are, I dont see the point in having more than the H9 and one Factor/Space/Strymon pedal of choice.

We current eventide stompbox users must be compensated :(:D:D:D

Enviado desde mi GT-S5570 usando Tapatalk
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
If the H9 isn't less expensive than the factor pedals, I think they'd be making a BIG mistake. It seems the real money is on the back end selling algorithms/presets.

Heck, for that much scratch, you may as well spend a few more bucks on a used H3000, no?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
kpsiegel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I love the idea of the pedal but I already have a TimeFactor, ModFactor, and Space. For less than the H9 I can get a PitchFactor and have ALL the algorithms and run up to four at a time instead of just one. What IS compelling to me is the iPad interface. It seems to me, though, that you can whip up a controller interface in TouchOsc or some other midi control package on an iPad for any one of the pedals right now if you really want to.

When I first saw this I thought it was fantastic but the more I think about it the more it seems like it isn't something I am just going to HAVE to have. I think it really is interesting that the most important algorithm in the Space pedal (Black Hole) is NOT included.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➑️
When I first saw this I thought it was fantastic but the more I think about it the more it seems like it isn't something I am just going to HAVE to have. I think it really is interesting that the most important algorithm in the Space pedal (Black Hole) is NOT included.
I was wondering that, too. It's heavy on the Modfactor presets, but light on the Timefactor and Space ones.

Unless maybe the Timefactor and Space are their biggest sellers, so they figure the other FX would have broader appeal for those who already own those pedals?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I guess you could use the free voucher to get the Blackhole, if that's what you wanted...
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Got a chance to stop by the Eventide booth at NAMM yesterday... unfortunately, there was only one guy demoing stompboxes to another guy and he didn't seem very interested in answering any questions. Was anyone else able to get any more info at the show?
Old 28th January 2013
  #46
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
If the H9 isn't less expensive than the factor pedals, I think they'd be making a BIG mistake. It seems the real money is on the back end selling algorithms/presets.

Heck, for that much scratch, you may as well spend a few more bucks on a used H3000, no?
Yes, but you can't do modern high quality reverb for instance, and is many times bigger, many times heavier, and many times harder/slower to program. If it was like 150-200 cheaper I think there are many among us who'd feel a bit stupid for spending like 900 in two factor pedals just to have acces to, say eventide reverb and pitch fx even if we don't use more than one algo at a time.
They are also charging you for the possibility to have all kinds of high end algos at your feet or small back pack. And trying not to cannibalize their current stomp box line.
l'm not a fanboy but I can see that they took the most balanced marketing path.

Enviado desde mi GT-S5570 usando Tapatalk
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javiceres ➑️
Yes, but you can't do modern high quality reverb for instance, and is many times bigger, many times heavier, and many times harder/slower to program.
Are the algos in the Blackhole considered 'low end'?
Old 29th January 2013
  #48
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
These days it takes a lot to coerce me to reconfigure my pedal board. For this I may entirely rethink it. I see huge potential and on several levels.
Old 29th January 2013
  #49
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
?
What I said is H3000 doesn't have modern hi-fi reverb algos.

Enviado desde mi GT-S5570 usando Tapatalk
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javiceres ➑️
?
What I said is H3000 doesn't have modern hi-fi reverb algos.
Ah, I must have misunderstood you - sorry.
Old 31st January 2013
  #51
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
If the Blackhole Algo was the one from the H8000 and NOT the one from the Eclipse I would buy it. Big difference in the to harware sound on that preset.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➑️
If the Blackhole Algo was the one from the H8000 and NOT the one from the Eclipse I would buy it. Big difference in the to harware sound on that preset.
Not having heard either, I wonder if that difference is a function of the supporting hardware or the algorithm. Maybe to keep it to a price point they cheaped out on AD/DA a bit compared to the H8000? Or possibly just different?
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➑️
If the Blackhole Algo was the one from the H8000 and NOT the one from the Eclipse I would buy it. Big difference in the to harware sound on that preset.
I thought the algo is exactly the same? Maybe it was the converters you heard. Blackhole algoritm (or patch, there is not an own module that is named Blackhole, it's a bunch of chorus modules etc) has existed since the DSP4000. Would it still be Blackhole if they altered this patch? Also the signal flow within the units are different. Or maybe that eclipse ran at a lower rate than H8000.
Old 31st January 2013
  #54
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Didn't Eventide confirm on this forum that the algo was in fact the same?
Old 1st February 2013
  #55
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Ah, I must have misunderstood you - sorry.
;-)
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The various eventide pedals sound great, considering they are digital, and can, when used together, make the guitar sound like an all-encompassing stereo synth, with the timbres you have heard on countless songs.
They are great in the studio. But live? Perhaps, if they are midi controlled via automation. Otherwise, they can be very distracting when tweaking or changing presets. Not good in a live situation.
In fact, any kind of pedal tweaking, when one should be concentrating on playing in the moment, sucks.
That's why, before playing, I try to set the many knobs to values that hopefully represent an all-purpose sweet spot, with the main variable being tempo. Of course, these pedals have so many possibilities, that they have many sweet spots.
Also, these pedals are little (somewhat expensive) computers that sometimes need their OS reflashed (yes, it can happen). And there goes all your painstakingly crafted presets (you did make a backup, didn't you?)
Also, one has to update them via USB every time a patch comes along. This is work.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Not having heard either, I wonder if that difference is a function of the supporting hardware or the algorithm. Maybe to keep it to a price point they cheaped out on AD/DA a bit compared to the H8000? Or possibly just different?
It just sounds like a very watered down version compared to when I had an H8000FW. I checked the space black hole preset against the samples I had put thought the H8000FW and there is definitely a big enough difference to notice. It's not the DA converters either, sounds more like a lot less delay lines used....I reckon it is the pre set from the Eclipse which does indeed sound different.

Shame as that is why I bought the Space for that preset and is why I have not bought the plugin for fear it will be the same watered down preset....although I do run at 88khz on my plugins sok the extra processing resolution might help.....

The Space pedal though is excellent for the money and if I had not had the H8000FW I would probably have kept it. I do not think that Eventide have confirmed which unit it comes from.
Old 8th February 2013
  #58
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➑️
It just sounds like a very watered down version compared to when I had an H8000FW. I checked the space black hole preset against the samples I had put thought the H8000FW and there is definitely a big enough difference to notice. It's not the DA converters either, sounds more like a lot less delay lines used....I reckon it is the pre set from the Eclipse which does indeed sound different.
That's totally sensible and understandable.



Enviado desde mi GT-S5570 usando Tapatalk
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Just found another demo, FWIW:

Old 19th March 2013
  #60
Gear Nut
 
javiceres's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I can't wait to stick an ipod to my guitar and mess with the feedback etc...
One important point are the algos unique to this pedal. I hope they develop/port a good bunch of them...

Enviado desde mi GT-S5570 usando Tapatalk
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2590 views: 842072
Avatar for Drummer406
Drummer406 6 days ago
replies: 19 views: 6081
Avatar for Coyoteous
Coyoteous 19th January 2009
replies: 467 views: 96446
Avatar for Han Solo
Han Solo 27th December 2015
replies: 58 views: 72051
Avatar for Langur
Langur 15th March 2018
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump