Quantcast
Finallly! Drawmer 500 gates!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finallly! Drawmer 500 gates!!!
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
NAMM: Drawmer to launch 1st 500 series product

The Industry-Standard High-End Noise-Gate comes to the 500 Series!

The DS101 is the first noise gate designed specifically for the 500 Series rack system and takes its place alongside the Drawmer family of industry standard Noise Gates, such as the DS201, DS501 and DS404. Anyone familiar with those units will immediately be at home with the DS101.

DS101 500 series Noise Gate

Based on a single-channel of the DS201 the DS101 is a sophisticated noise gate incorporating a number of features pioneered by Drawmer, which are invaluable to the sound engineer, such as variable high and lowpass filters for “frequency conscious gating.”

Other features include comprehensive envelope control, attack, hold, decay, and range, plus a whole host of other features, all adding up to one amazing processor.

When placed side by side in a 500 series rack two or more gates can be linked using the new infra red triggering mechanism employed on the DS101. This means that any number of gates can be linked with each having their own envelope shaping whilst the trigger pulse passes through unchanged, this opens up a whole world of “envelope follower” effects limited only by your imagination.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The fit and finish on these 101's is amazing. Excellent manufacturing work, especially for $399.

Brad
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

just WOW !!!
with all these new 500 modules i'm going to need 3 more frames
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Finallly! Drawmer 500 gates!!!

Looks like Drawmer finally wised up and jumped on to the 500 bandwagon. First new product: the 201 gate in the 500 format. And yes, it does have a key input on the front!

Drawmer Electronics - DS201

maybe next year they will have the 241 comp to follow?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well crap and here I was all proud of myself for staying away from the 500 racks.
Old 22nd January 2013
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
Never thought gates would grab my attention 2013
But recently I've got really into using 201's again so this is great!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hardware Gates vs Software gates

Never used these bad boys ... what would you what say the sonic differences are compared to that of the software ones? I would love to know. If it makes drums better then I am in ....
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow! The price is right too!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is so great. I'm so psyched.

- c
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nice, and when you don't need a gate you can use it as a filter!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
holy cow! finally!!

if they sound as good as the old ones... then... they'll sound GREAT

Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
$400?
you can get 4+ channels of drawmer gates for that...
DS201s can be had for $150...
am i missing something?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Love the idea of infrared linking. That's something different. Is it internal? Does each module have both a transmitter and receiver?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Frank, yes, transmitter on the right hand side, receiver on the left via a small hole in the chasis. If you have the second unit in ext key mode with no key input jack it will trigger from the unit to its left, the trigger pulses pass through unchanged so each unit can have its own envelope.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit ➡️
$400?
you can get 4+ channels of drawmer gates for that...
DS201s can be had for $150...
am i missing something?
Yes, you are. New Drawmer 201s (rack mount 2 channel) gates are $800, these are not cheap copies from China, these are built by hand in the Drawmer factory in England, these equal the performance and sonics of a 201.

Brad
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Biggest difference I can tell by looking at specs is freq response, but the 201 goes to 31k vs 43k for the 101.
in/out levels the same.
plenty of 201s on ebay in the $150 range that were made in england.
plenty of dbx 904s for $40-50/free
I dig drawmer and all. I just don't get the excitement over a circuit ported to the 500 series that has been sitting in every studios basement/gear closet since the mid-late 90s if there is nothing new. "Hand built" or not, it's a friggin' gate. I haven't heard it or done a shoot out or anything, but I bet both sound like... a drawmer.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is for the five hundred series. If that doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to you, which is totally cool.

However, it does to me. No way I'm not buying a few. Portable, cool, fantastic. I've been waiting for this.

- c
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"just what I need"

said no one ever since about 1995!

PS only joking, I am a drawmer fan.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm with Jitterybit with this one, why would you buy this over what is available on the used market for so much less from both Drawmer and Aphex (the two studio standards of hardware gates)? Even if you needed a bunch of hardware gates and preferred a module form over several single space rack units there are used Aphex 9000 series module gates that go for under $75 a module used. By the way with the Aphex 9000 series rack you get 11 modules in three rack spaces and can put the 2 rack space power supply anywhere you want quite a distance away. Other than for the guy that has to buy everything new out of fear of servicing why would you get this? That guy who has the servicing fears could even buy used, send the unit(s) off to Jim Williams for total overhaul/upgrade and still be money ahead over buying this product. In fact if you are in the US and have an Aphex or DBX rack, I've got a couple extra Aphex #9621 Expander/Gate modules I'll sell cheap (a Drawmer TS2 also since this is a Drawmer thread not to go too far off topic LOL), just PM me. While it's good to see investment in new hardware products, I'm just not seeing the need to buy this given the many wiser options.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Biggest difference I can tell by looking at specs is freq response, but the 201 goes to 31k vs 43k for the 101.
in/out levels the same.
plenty of 201s on ebay in the $150 range that were made in england.
Sure...you can always get stuff for cheaper used. By your logic nobody should introduce any new products, I guess?

Pricing is essentially the same per channel as a new DS201, so if the 500 format is more appealing to you, this makes sense. Right now I have more open 500 slots than I do rack spaces.

Quote:
I'm with Jitterybit with this one, why would you buy this over what is available on the used market for so much less from both Drawmer and Aphex (the two studio standards of hardware gates)?
Some people just prefer the security of buying new. I imagine these will start to appear on the used market at some point...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand the security of buying new though most times it's a false security. Used in this case is less than 20% per channel of new cost. Used with recap and upgrade is still cheaper than new. I'm all for new products but the reality is they have to compete with their own units out there. I do see your point of those with no rack space and only an open 500 series rack slot or two. Those needing more than a couple gates with limited rack space would more likely be better served picking up a used Aphex 9000 series rack and filling it.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the form factor and the external trigger being on the front very much with the new 500 series units.
📝 Reply