The return of the MS-20
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love it!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sorry for my lack of knowledge of this synth, but for someone who's in the market for a nord lead 2x and a Moog sub phatty, is this synth similar and/or better than one of the two mentioned to the point where i might need to consider choosing the MS-20 over one of the two?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow...looking at the I/O on the patchbay section the layout on the Korg de site...it look the same as my original.

Hopefully actually CV and its 1v/Oct!

Still no PWM...perhaps via MIDI?

I wonder if the ESP section will track audio better than the old one did?

Hopefully not those MicroKorg keys!

If it sounds good, and I believe Korg seems to understand what people love about their old stuff...this will be an incredible value what you get!

If anything reissues or for the most part closely inspired remakes like Voyagers, Acidlab Miami's, X0XB0X's have only increased the value of the originals judging from looking on EBay over the years...for a few months Electro-Harmonix original 16 Second Delays dropped in value but then rose again within a year. That's the only time I could thing of that prices went down. Talking cool vintage/analog stuff here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis12 ➑️
Sorry for my lack of knowledge of this synth, but for someone who's in the market for a nord lead 2x and a Moog sub phatty, is this synth similar and/or better than one of the two mentioned to the point where i might need to consider choosing the MS-20 over one of the two?
Pick the ones that you like the sound of the most
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
Pick the ones that you like the sound of the most
I understand that, but would having one of the mentioned synths make the MS-20 almost redundant and vice versa?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I understand that, but would having one of the mentioned synths make the MS-20 almost redundant and vice versa?
No-one into synths is gonna confuse a Korg MS-20 with a Moog Sub Phatty. Haven't played the Nord Lead.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nope, those are very different sounding synths. I personally haven't tried the Sub Phatty, but a MS20 doesn't sound like a Moog or a Nord! If this Mini-MS20 sounds like the original, this together with a Moog and a Nord will keep you busy for A LONG TIME!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm very excited about this! I've always wanted an MS20. I just hope its not mini-keys! Thats a deal breaker for me.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok, cool. Can't wait to hear more about it. Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is really killer news! I never thought that a company like Korg would actually produce a fully analogue 1:1 remake of a classic synth! Now waiting for Neumann, haha

EDIT: want!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i hope the keys aren't like the mini keys found on their other smaller keyboards. that (to me) is a deal breaker and a huge miss on their part. especially at that price point. i understand it is supposed to be full analog--which is awesome. but if you're doing a "reissue" please make the keys usable. the 1/8" cables i can live with. but not the mini keys.
Lives for gear

new to this planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger ➑️
you must be new.
Lives for gear

Keep in mind, that most young musicians will still get very excited about this, because it may be their first analog, and what an analog to get! Kind of like losing your virginity to J-Lo. She might be old, but she's still hot, and no straight man would toss her out of bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
Meh.

...I just wanted to try this on for size. I've seen a lot of "meh" reactions lately to some of the most AMAZING, JOY INSPIRING THINGS I could possibly imagine. It blows my mind, and makes me want to watch that Louis C.K. video over and over again.

I am SO EXCITED about this synth!
Lives for gear

I have several nice synths and love them all, but I would choose the Nord over a Korg or a Moog phatty, if I could only have one. A Nord will give you more options and can get dirty as hell. Keep in mind, that you will still want them all, inevitably.

Don't get me wrong, all of the synths in question are amazing in their own right.

Quote:
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➑️
Keep in mind, that most young musicians will still get very excited about this, because it may be their first analog, and what an analog to get! Kind of like losing your virginity to J-Lo. She might be old, but she's still hot, and no straight man would toss her out of bed.
Did you read what he wrote?

- c
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That link is broken...still just speculation for me. I can't let myself believe it until I see hard proof. Sorry.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'd prefer the 1/4" over 1/8" jacks ..... not everything should be mini!!!!

-D
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those of you like me who missed the link while it was live but can't resist a good spoiler will be pleased to know that trusty Matrixsynth managed to repost Google Translations of what was momentarily on the .de site @ MATRIXSYNTH: NAMM 2013: New KORG Mini MS-20 Revealed in German Magazine?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would be cool if they made a little vst editor / patch librarian for it
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
german korg site link is dead--embargo or hoax? :P
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Attached Thumbnails
The return of the MS-20-01_ms-20-mini_front_with-patch.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2013
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I will buy two of these to satisfy myself. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the 200 units limited edition is a BS - I mean Korg would be the dumbest company putting so much R&D into a product and than just limiting it to 200 if they could sell hundreds times more. Especially if they put such an attractive pricepoint - its clearly mass oriented. Which is good for all of us, clients. Guys at Moog must be sweating right now...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can confirm from serious sources that the 200 limited run is BS.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
good to know!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
I will buy two of these to satisfy myself. heh
Seriously, many of us will get two if the sound is authentic.

Doesn't Kenton make something that would allow one to polychain these?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If it sounds like the original I'm in.

Hopefully it's not too wide so I can hack the keyboard off and rackmount it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnu ➑️
german korg site link is dead--embargo or hoax? :P
Here:
KORG MS-20 mini - alle Infos auf der offiziellen Webseite
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix ➑️
If it sounds like the original I'm in.

Hopefully it's not too wide so I can hack the keyboard off and rackmount it.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm so happy to see more and more analog. I would love to see the marriage of ipad control, with fully analog sound. Someday someone will make an analog synth-dock that blows minds. I will pick up this synth for sure, I was about to get a monotribe with midi kit, but now...
πŸ“ Reply