Quantcast
The return of the MS-20 - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The return of the MS-20
Old 11th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My local Korg dealer contacted Korg today and they said the delivery date turns out to be end of may, and even that they can't guarantee. Musicstore says 15th of april, but he says they're bluffing..

Sad though we still have to wait that long, maybe there will be quite some tweaks.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Someone in Korg's corporate offices is getting reamed for not pricing it at $699.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I Hope they end up Remaking the Tweed Carrying case for this. That would be awesome.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
Someone in Korg's corporate offices is getting reamed for not pricing it at $699.
Yes , I think evan $799 should have worked pretty good too. At least for me...$999 no problem. I mean I was about to buy the original for $2000 when this bomb exploded !
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
Nothing stops them from raising the price though. In fact, if they can't meet demand at this price point, which seems likely, it's the only rational thing to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I suggested before that the Minibrute may have partially been a public relations exercise. If that were true it would made sense for Arturia to make it as cheap as they could afford. Maybe Korg has taken the exact same tack?
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or maybe your suggestion was wrong? There's little reason any company would spend so much time, money and effort to put hardware at that price-point in a sales channel for P.R. purposes. Can you think of a single product selling for $500-$600 ever sold to a mass market for that reason?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The MS-20 is a "cash flow" item as opposed to a high profit item. They'll get us when they issue SQ-10 mini along with MS-50 mini.
Either that or Korg realize most musicians don't have a lot of money.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➑️
Either that or Korg realize most musicians don't have a lot of money.heh
I'd guess that well over 90% of their target customer aren't playing music for a living. These sort of products are aimed squarely at the 'prosumer' market. And while they get interest and some sales from professionals, the enthusiast market is what keeps most music technology companies afloat.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think they are just taking a page from Apple's book. Sell a crap load and make money that way. Aside from shrinking it down the R&D on this synth was paid for a long time ago. Sticking to the original design is a win win on this one.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 ➑️
I think they are just taking a page from Apple's book. Sell a crap load and make money that way. Aside from shrinking it down the R&D on this synth was paid for a long time ago. Sticking to the original design is a win win on this one.
Apple's book!!! what the hell do Apple sell that's cheap

Korg being a bigger company than the likes of Arturia means they can place at a more competitive price. I'm sure they will be watching closely the sales of their new VA (king Korg) against the real deal MS-20 mini. Come on guys lets make it clear for them real analogue all the way!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 ➑️
I think they are just taking a page from Apple's book.
I must have missed that re-release of the 1978 Apple //+
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone ➑️
I'd guess that well over 90% of their target customer aren't playing music for a living. These sort of products are aimed squarely at the 'prosumer' market. And while they get interest and some sales from professionals, the enthusiast market is what keeps most music technology companies afloat.
More like 99.9%. Who is really making a living from music? Very few.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➑️
More like 99.9%. Who is really making a living from music? Very few.
Well, I am, but I guess I'm in the 0.1%.
I am mildly interested in this board, as I make about half of my living from playing keyboards and the rest from mixing/producing.
I like the idea of cheap and reliable analog keyboards for extra sounds and inspiration. But I also spend mega dollars on keyboards and studio gear. So for me, this (and the moog sub phatty) are very attractive.
I personally love plugging a keyboard straight in and getting the sound I want rather than pulling up a plugin preset and messing around with mouse controls.

But then again... Call this a living??!!
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild ➑️
Yes , I think evan $799 should have worked pretty good too. At least for me...$999 no problem. I mean I was about to buy the original for $2000 when this bomb exploded !
I don't know if you tried the new ms-20 but its build very cheap. Doesn't feel nice play with, knobs feel like they come off any second. It does sound nice (don't know if its sound the same as the original, never had one)

If everybody hypes this new ms-20 to the max then yes Korg can easily ask 699,-/799,-/999,- but without all the hype maybe 399,- makes more sense. To me its makes no sense at all to make a MKII version worse but I guess people have no problem with lowering their standards in times of crises.
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
col
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch ➑️
I don't know if you tried the new ms-20 but its build very cheap. Doesn't feel nice play with, knobs feel like they come off any second. It does sound nice

To me its makes no sense at all to make a MKII version worse but I guess people have no problem with lowering their standards in times of crises.
The side by side comparison article I posted above says it's built better and sounds better than the original. So the original must be pretty horrible by your standards.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I do think this is way under priced by Korg. An MS20 for that price is just amazing!!!
Wish they would have used the same size casing as the original MS20, but it is fine as it is.
Will be getting one of these for sure, it would be madness not to get one at that price.
I think Korg will sell alot of these.

I wonder if Korg are going to plunder their back catalogue of synths and make them all again....MONO/POLY would be great.
πŸ“ Reply