Quantcast
NAMM: Roland Studio Capture audio interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Roland Studio Capture audio interface
Old 21st January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Hardware NAMM: Roland Studio Capture audio interface

With the new STUDIO-CAPTURE, Roland once again raises the performance standard for computer-based audio production. The latest addition to the acclaimed CAPTURE family boasts 12 premium-grade mic preamps, an industry first for a compact USB audio interface. A total of 16 audio inputs, 10 audio outputs, and MIDI I/O offers massive connectivity for pro-level setups, all in a single, tabletop unit that fits easily into a travel bag. Other top-flight features include 24-bit/192 kHz audio quality, comprehensive front-panel metering, XLR monitor outputs with dedicated level control, dual headphone outputs, rock-solid drivers with VS STREAMING technology, and much more. Durable, portable, and ready to take on large-scale recording projects both in the studio and on the road, STUDIO-CAPTURE stands head and shoulders above all other USB audio interfaces on the market.
  • High-performance USB 2.0 audio interface for studio and mobile production
  • 16 audio inputs and 10 audio outputs, including 12 premium mic preamps (VS PREAMP)
  • VS STREAMING delivers ultra-stable, low-latency driver performance for Windows and Mac
  • AUTO-SENS intelligently sets optimal input levels for all preamps
  • Individual input/output meters and input channel buttons
  • Four independent, software-controlled monitor mixes
  • XLR monitor out, direct monitor, and dual headphone outputs with independent front-panel level knobs
  • Coaxial digital I/O; MIDI I/O with FPT
  • Expand your I/O by using two STUDIO-CAPTUREs together, both controlled with a single driver
  • 2U rackmount ears includedl

Link : STUDIO-CAPTURE: USB 2.0 Audio Interface | Roland CONNECT 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks quite impressive.
Old 21st January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Videos

Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why not ADAT ????? I can't understand .... NO ADAT = NO FUN
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks nice! Wonder how the audio quality of the converters and preamps compare to the Focusrite Saffire interfaces?
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
Looks nice! Wonder how the audio quality of the converters and preamps compare to the Focusrite Saffire interfaces?
I had an Octa-Capture for about 48 hours. It has very very solid drivers, software console and a really kool auto sense feature. Audio quality was nice but in all honestly, the preamps were noisy. Lots of hiss for a decent level. Stack about 4-8 channels of 38-40db of gain and it was not a good time.

Returned it and grabbed a Saffire 40. Much better sonics and still getting 38 sample buffers on a 2006 Mac Pro. Good times.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin ➡️
I had an Octa-Capture for about 48 hours. It has very very solid drivers, software console and a really kool auto sense feature. Audio quality was nice but in all honestly, the preamps were noisy. Lots of hiss for a decent level. Stack about 4-8 channels of 38-40db of gain and it was not a good time.

Returned it and grabbed a Saffire 40. Much better sonics and still getting 38 sample buffers on a 2006 Mac Pro. Good times.
Probably the same pres that were on my VS2480 10- years ago
The odd ball 12 mic inputs throws me. That makes you have to get a 2nd unit if you want to do a band
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
And why not just make it 19" wide?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They say nothing about its converters, they should.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ok. Thanks for this info!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
my guess is that they are the same ones that Roland is currently putting into their digital snakes. If so they are very high quality, with no color and very low if any noise
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

I have a quad-capture and haven't experienced excessive noise in the preamps. No more than my presonus and steinberg ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
Because ADAT is a STANDARD which is USEFUL to people, and allows you to interface with OTHER PEOPLE'S EQUIPMENT.

All of these are things which Roland seems to hate...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn ➡️
I have a quad-capture and haven't experienced excessive noise in the preamps. No more than my presonus and steinberg ones.
Maybe I got a bad unit. Hmmmmmmm.
I will say, the difference was very noticeable.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Got to reassess my unit tomorrow, but it seems to not have noiser preamps than other low/mid-level interfaces. I actually like my quad-capture a bit, and if I were in need of a interface with lots of inputs I would be considering this one.
It will be interesting to see what the first reviews make of it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This new unit might be quieter since they separated the analog and digital circuitry further apart.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Yeah, I currently have an octacapture (had it for almost a year now). The preamps are a bit hissy as your said. It's not too bad with my unit but other than that I love the thing!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviedeez ➡️
Yeah, I currently have an octacapture (had it for almost a year now). The preamps are a bit hissy as your said. It's not too bad with my unit but other than that I love the thing!
There's a lot to love about the Octa-Capture and I would dare say Studio Capture.
The things I don't understand are:
  • Why not use the whole 19" width?
  • Why not put all XLR's around back?
  • How about more dedicated (single function) buttons

I really wanna love these units. But they need to widen out and quiet down the pre's. Otherwise I have to say...... Slam dunk software/drivers and ease of use.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The things I don't understand are:
  • Why not use the whole 19" width?
  • Why not put all XLR's around back?
  • How about more dedicated (single function) buttons
The idea was to keep it as small as possible for portability. If you're going to be hauling racks around, chances are that you'll be using higher-grade stuff.

The XLRs are located for convenience, especially when the engineer and musician are one and the same.

More dedicated buttons would raise the price, and increase the size.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron ➡️
They say nothing about its converters, they should.
In their web they only show 105db for AD and 114db for DA, but do not show if A-weighted or what. I think they will release the complete specs in the namm.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsop ➡️
The idea was to keep it as small as possible for portability. If you're going to be hauling racks around, chances are that you'll be using higher-grade stuff.

The XLRs are located for convenience, especially when the engineer and musician are one and the same.

More dedicated buttons would raise the price, and increase the size.
One still has to poke around back for the last 8 pre's but ya, having a pair in front seems ok.
As to portability, no one is going to throw $1k box into the trunk of a car with the mic stands anyhow (as they show in the second video). Most folks would rack mount it along with a headphone distro-amp at least.
With the extra 4 inches on either side they could have made it one rack space or spread things out a bit.

The auto sense gimmick really is great BTW and I wish more manufacturers would implement this.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1) They are including rack ears, and as far as I know, NOBODY has ever put more than 8 mic pre's into a 1U unit. So it's effectively a 2U unit if you want it to be.

2) The digitally controlled gain is pretty unique to the Quad-Octa-Studio Capture units at least for the price range. MOTU has it, but it seems like all of their preamps top out at 53db gain. But if the Roland units are noisy on the top end, then maybe the extra gain isn't a real advantage.

But the ability to hit a button, then play to set your peaks is awesome. I was just setting up my drum set last night and doing some overhead comparisons and the "play, watch the meters, get up, go adjust the gain, try again" routine got old pretty quick. To be able to nail the levels with one trip is super tempting.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In their web they only show 105db for AD and 114db for DA, but do not show if A-weighted or what. I think they will release the complete specs in the namm.
Thanks

So, let´s wait.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan ➡️
1) They are including rack ears, and as far as I know, NOBODY has ever put more than 8 mic pre's into a 1U unit. So it's effectively a 2U unit if you want it to be.

2) The digitally controlled gain is pretty unique to the Quad-Octa-Studio Capture units at least for the price range. MOTU has it, but it seems like all of their preamps top out at 53db gain. But if the Roland units are noisy on the top end, then maybe the extra gain isn't a real advantage.

But the ability to hit a button, then play to set your peaks is awesome. I was just setting up my drum set last night and doing some overhead comparisons and the "play, watch the meters, get up, go adjust the gain, try again" routine got old pretty quick. To be able to nail the levels with one trip is super tempting.
The preamps are supposed to be garbage in the Roland interfaces.

Much better to go with Apogee or even the Native Instrument interfaces.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have a bunch of interfaces that I cart around for location work and have racked in the studio. I do like my Focusrite SP40's - but honestly I'd love to have a unit with at least 8 pres that is NOT 19" - I could such a unit almost every day.

I am fearful of the preamps in this thing, but I like that they are digitally controlled - that really makes for precise gaining and allows presets to be notch on everytime.

Hopefully price and pres will be friendly,

-D
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM ➡️
I have a bunch of interfaces that I cart around for location work and have racked in the studio. I do like my Focusrite SP40's - but honestly I'd love to have a unit with at least 8 pres that is NOT 19" - I could such a unit almost every day.

I am fearful of the preamps in this thing, but I like that they are digitally controlled - that really makes for precise gaining and allows presets to be notch on everytime.

Hopefully price and pres will be friendly,

-D
$999
Roland Studio-Capture | Sweetwater.com
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The irony, Adat revolutionized the recording industry, and now their claim to fame is their lightpipe protocol!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM ➡️
I am fearful of the preamps in this thing...
....if the pre's are the same as the Octa-Capture, you may be sad.

They are decent for loud sources, but they max at 50db of gain and the last 10db is a bit noisy. It's a shame. No pad either.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You know, for a lot of up and coming, this is a compelling easy unit. If I was 18 again, and mostly focused on my band, I would love this!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can say that on a recent Piano album I did my Quad Capture ended up being used over my RME Fireface UC.
That is a recording requiring pretty low noise clean sound using a close-ish stereo pair. Mics were AT 4050. Definitely not noisy, even in the quiet moments.
📝 Reply